POSTGAME: Rd 04 vs Geelong

Demonland

10 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

I can’t agree with those thinking Hawkins meant that. That was accidental.

Onto other things I think Tmac to FB, Brown or Weid to FF.

Got to be kidding 

What have we got Petty for? 
Deserves his chance. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chook said:

This is the best Melbourne team I've seen since the mid-2000s. I was too young to properly evaluate our 2000 team, but the jury's out on that as well.

And we are soon about to add a big full forward who is a great shot at goal and will take the oppositions number one defender

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chook said:

This is the best Melbourne team I've seen since the mid-2000s. I was too young to properly evaluate our 2000 team, but the jury's out on that as well.

This is the best Melbourne team since early 90s when Schwarta and Lyon were doing there thing. The day we wiped Blues in a final was the pinnacle. Have been watching for 50 freakin years 

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, 58er said:

No Petty MUST be selected. 
His form is deserving also. 

Agree. Petty is next in line for the key back spot.

I don't understand the Daw love. He's good insurance but he's been an inconsistent fringe player on a poor team for a long time.

Furthermore, he's been training and playing games of footy as a forward/second ruck.

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

Absolutely an accident, nothing in it

but some people see what they want to see

Iften been at games and thought are they actually watching the same game

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

Steve May - fractured eye socket 

4-6 weeks

Hawkins is deliberately clumsy, his arm went against the inertia of the tackle. 

• Like 5

Of course he was going to play well with that glorious stache.

move aside David boon, there’s a new sherif in town, onya Rick!!!! 

• Like 1

The way we are setting up defensively is outstanding. We are strangling teams and they have no answer. We need to start kicking straight because it will cost us eventually, but being 4-0 is brilliant!

Terrific team performance. Viney, Oliver and Petracca in the midfield were tremendous. Lever and Tomlinson were great behind the ball.

I felt our forward pressure was much more like it in the second half. We really lifted the intensity with Spargo, ANB and Kozi really ramped up the frontal pressure and it is vital to how we're strangling teams.

Thought Tom McDonald provided a solid target up forward and up the ground. Really important game from him and could give our team another dimension when Brown and potentially Weideman put their hands up.

Petracca needs to do less of the Hollywood knocks and taps when he could instead take a clean possession and impact the contest. As I said, he played a great game, but cost us a goal on transition when he tried a fancy little knock on. Did a couple dinky little taps like that as well. He's close to fulfilling that potential many saw in him.

Looking forward to watching the replay, because my read on Oliver's game is that we started Oliver mostly forward to throw the tag and he got away from it, so they dropped the tag in the second half and Clarry was influential around stoppages as the game wore on. He and Selwood went head to head in the last and Oliver I thought beat him comfortably.

The worst part of the day was the crowd again. 33,000 is pathetic. I know there were mostly Melbourne supporters there, but bloody hell. 40k should be the floor expectation for a game between two Victorian teams at the MCG. I know it was raining and cold, but that's a weak excuse. Lift, MFC supporters, we're 4 zip now, get behind us.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, Deesprate said:

BT May will get a few staples and be back on! Good call

Yeah that [censored] me off.

Tim Watson at half time saying that "May's head was in the wrong spot" [censored] me off too (he was trying to indicate that it was an accident but his choice of words was [censored] [censored] poor).

• Like 3

The 3 games prior have actually given me some confidence, though the kitties got within 12 I didn't have that veil hanging over me and was actually looking forward to the last........strange times indeed!!!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, 58er said:

Got to be kidding 

What have we got Petty for? 
Deserves his chance. 

You have my vote and neither Brown or the Weid are yet fit enough for senior level. They have played half a VFL game in 8 weeks.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

The thing with Hawkins is that he has a history of a short fuse. It’s more likely it was accidental, but with him you can never be sure.

• Angry 2

We are good at nullifying the opposition. Four weeks in a row, made them look 2nd tiers.

Was Duncan, Miers, Tuoy or Guthrie playing. 

Great game plans Coaches.

Good maturity to not get overrun. Shame we give them a look in with some basic skill error.

Stayed switched on for the 4 quarters.

Don't drink from the bathwater, it is a long way to go.

Oliver, Viney, Max, Trac Lever, Langdon, Salem, Hunt, Fritta, Brayshaw, good all day.

Others playing roles and having some impact at times.

A bit worried about Jetts, Jordan, Melksham (benefit of doubt for first game of season) and Sparrow's game.

Some changes this week.

Marking practice and concentrate when it is your time, (don't get ahead of yourself),

Very few unforced errors with ball disposal.

Swarm of Dees in attack and defending.

Working for each other. 

How many times did Tmac get his arms chopped or his head hit?

More than competitive. 

4 - 0 wow.

Go Dees.

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, A F said:

The way we are setting up defensively is outstanding. We are strangling teams and they have no answer. We need to start kicking straight because it will cost us eventually, but being 4-0 is brilliant!

Terrific team performance. Viney, Oliver and Petracca in the midfield were tremendous. Lever and Tomlinson were great behind the ball.

I felt our forward pressure was much more like it in the second half. We really lifted the intensity with Spargo, ANB and Kozi really ramped up the frontal pressure and it is vital to how we're strangling teams.

Thought Tom McDonald provided a solid target up forward and up the ground. Really important game from him and could give our team another dimension when Brown and potentially Weideman put their hands up.

Petracca needs to do less of the Hollywood knocks and taps when he could instead take a clean possession and impact the contest. As I said, he played a great game, but cost us a goal on transition when he tried a fancy little knock on. Did a couple dinky little taps like that as well. He's close to fulfilling that potential many saw in him.

Looking forward to watching the replay, because my read on Oliver's game is that we started Oliver mostly forward to throw the tag and he got away from it, so they dropped the tag in the second half and Clarry was influential around stoppages as the game wore on. He and Selwood went head to head in the last and Oliver I thought beat him comfortably.

The worst part of the day was the crowd again. 33,000 is pathetic. I know there were mostly Melbourne supporters there, but bloody hell. 40k should be the floor expectation for a game between two Victorian teams at the MCG. I know it was raining and cold, but that's a weak excuse. Lift, MFC supporters, we're 4 zip now, get behind us.

There was only 29k at the pies game last night!!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Goodwin has a great coaching team behind him. Really happy with the team as a whole. 

Sparrow's decision making worries me. He looked scared to take the game on. Handballs to pressured team mates too many times. Tommy Mac also. But other than that they didn't do anything that turned into Geelong goals.

Solid team effort. Spargs tackling is awesome. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, P-man said:

The thing with Hawkins is that he has a history of a short fuse. It’s more likely it was accidental, but with him you can never be sure.

Watching it I felt like there was a slight delay in the movement of the arm, that made me think he was deliberately reckless. And he has form, he wanted to put the hurt on, and did too much, has happened too many times now with him.

• Like 2

The argument that we haven’t beaten anyone decent is a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy this early in the season. 

If Freo finish this game off, you can take up all our opposition’s games, remove the games against us, and they have won 7 and lost 5.

Edited by Forest Demon
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, BAMF said:

Yeah that [censored] me off.

Tim Watson at half time saying that "May's head was in the wrong spot" [censored] me off too (he was trying to indicate that it was an accident but his choice of words was [censored] [censored] poor).

Probably get reported  for head butting the Hawkins elbow 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1