We Won

WERRIDEE

The Salem Kelly trade that is. Salem is a much better player than Kelly. FACT.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

The Salem Kelly trade that is. Salem is a much better player than Kelly. FACT.

Salem is a very important player for us. A very reliable kick. I hope he re-signs again soon.

Kelly has been in the doldrums but when playing at his best is A-Grade.

I've no qualms about the trade and perfectly happy with Salem but i reckon Kelly is the better player.

• Like 1

I thought we had the second coming of Chris Judd after Tyson played his first year. 
Upon reflection it was a pure indication of just how bog ordinary the list was. 

I wouldn’t be as quick to say we won that trade but maybe we’re starting to see the return on a long term investment. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, McQueen said:

I thought we had the second coming of Chris Judd after Tyson played his first year. 
Upon reflection it was a pure indication of just how bog ordinary the list was. 

I wouldn’t be as quick to say we won that trade but maybe we’re starting to see the return on a long term investment. 

tyson looked destined for stardom after his first year at melbourne.

Kelly's drop in form has been in the past 3 years shows he's the cream on the top when you've got a good mix in the midfield. He's had to play more inside then outside and it hasn't suited his strengths.

In saying that, I would have him in a heart beat.

• Like 2

Both teams lost because they gave up the chance at Bont!

But really I liked the move of 2 down to 9, we needed a more mature player to help immediately and we had to stop putting all our faith in 1 early pick.

I always thought we gave up way too much adding pick 20 for only a late 40’s pick in return.

For 2 we should’ve got 9 and Tyson out right. 

As for Kelly - he’d kill it playing for us on ball and on the wing. Maybe we’ll grab him if he can give up on his 8 year 8 million extension!

• Like 2

I can understand the interest in this trade given the media love to hound us over it.

But a little known fact - we were never taking Kelly. After Boyd there was no consensus #2 pick that year. GWS were keen on Kelly but a lot of names were in the mix. Our man was most likely Jack Billings, who had trained with us in earlier in 2013 and ended up going at 3 to the Saints. 

I'm not sure if this can be easily found on the internet but I'm almost certain somebody at the club confirmed this around 2015-2016. 

With that in mind, Salem is a better player than Billings on his own. Tyson gave good service early on and then helped us get us Preuss who in turn helped us get Ben Brown. Jayden Hunt has had a serviceable career to date. GWS would be very happy with Kelly's output too. Both clubs benefitted from the trade. 

In hindsight, probably keep the pick and draft Bontempelli, but the trade certainly wasn't as binary as the clickbait Herald Sun journos would have you believe. 

• Like 4

The trade was a wise on based on what was known and the risks and needs involved at the time.

Salem has steadily developed into what looks to now be a first rate player.  Dyson had a burst there where he looked like he was going to be outstanding, but for unknown reasons that faded away.

Right trade at the time, and the eventual results have turned out okay.

Might be time to put this one to bed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NowWeKnow said:

That article nails every aspect of the trade. We needed a ready to go player to help Jones in the middle, GWS wanted to add another top draft pick to their line up. We also highly rated Salem anyway so we’re rapt to get him when we did. 

The footy media need sink the boots into clubs on something so they create this drama. I’m pretty sure the club moved on very quickly. 

• Like 1

Clearly won that trade hands down, Salem is Mr.Dependable off half back with his distribution and decision making abilities.

While Hunty is a massive breath of fresh air in his more favoured role flying off half back. 

As for Dommy well he netted us Preussy and we on traded Pruessy for pick 31 which was part of the trade for Big Ben.

Massive win.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.