2020 AFL Rookie Draft

dazzledavey36

3 minutes ago, AshleyH30 said:

Assume we're going to invite a few players to train with us over summer for the SSP. May have been why Farmer was training with the players last week...

So i think we carry 2 potential spots forward?  Good chance to have a look at a few over summer and see who we might like.  I thought there were still a few reasonable types in the rookie draft, so really interesting we didnt grab anyone at all....

Surely we have to fill one spot over summer and get a preseason in to someone. Not using both spots waiting until mid year would be a gamble.

So either we've got a delisted player lined up ready to go or we're going to have a little try out group.

Personally I'd love to get a few young tall defenders in for the summer and see if we can find a good one.

11 minutes ago, Rocknroll said:

welcome to the demons 

a minute ago
Pick 10 - Melbourne - PASS
Hope he can kick

I'm sure a hand PASS is not beyond his ability

• Like 1

Since we passed, does that leave us with one senior list spot and one rookie list spot spare?

Why didn't we rookie a young tall and get some development into a prospect like Baldwin, Callow or Walsh?

• Shocked 1

40 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Since we passed, does that leave us with one senior list spot and one rookie list spot spare?

Why didn't we rookie a young tall and get some development into a prospect like Baldwin, Callow or Walsh?

2 rookie spots.

There were very few live picks in the rookie draft, I'm sure pretty much everyone on our potential list is available so we've got to get a few out to Casey to have a look at.

We should keep at least one spot for the mid season draft when every NAB league kid who didn't play this year gets a chance to show they should've been drafted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clintosaurus said:

Can clubs now just invite anyone they like to train with a view of adding to the list?

Yes.  I believe a club can invite up to 6 players to train with them starting January 6.   Then clubs have to mid March to decide whether to add them to the list ala, Bennell and Lockhart (pending available list spots).

I have a feeling there is a core group of players lots of clubs will be chasing to invite to train.  Hopefully we got in early and have our preferred players join us rather than another club.

Edit:  I can no longer find where I read that 6 players could be invited, so take that part with a grain of salt.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ugottobekidding said:

Cannot believe Callow was passed up by clubs. Seriously has the footy smarts and skills to play AFL.

Frankly disappointed that the club didn’t give him a rookie berth. 

It looks like the clubs all consider Baldwin a risk. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, demonstone said:

Does the club then have exclusive rights to select such trainees or can another team pick them?

Not sure.  I'm still trying to find the PSS guidelines again.

• Like 1

I can see the good sense in getting a closer look at players by inviting them to train with us prior to the supplementary selection, but it is quite a surprise to see Kaine Baldwin still available when he was talked about as being well inside the first round before the injuries.

Can anyone clarify how pss selections are made? It's not a draft order thing but a direct agreement with the player, yes?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

I can see the good sense in getting a closer look at players by inviting them to train with us prior to the supplementary selection, but it is quite a surprise to see Kaine Baldwin still available when he was talked about as being well inside the first round before the injuries.

Can anyone clarify how pss selections are made? It's not a draft order thing but a direct agreement with the player, yes?

No order.  It is by invitation to train.  Player can say aye or nay.  Then the club can offer a rookie spot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, goodoil said:

The Tasmanian players were very exposed, much more so than the Victorians.  Callow was probably closest but he has been a man among boys at NAB League level, the inference being he projects to not being able to control opponents at AFL level like does at under-age level.  He is very similar to what Sydney's Heath Grundy was in his draft year.  Grundy used to dominate with his strength advantage as a forward in the SANFL and the national championships but only ended up rookie pick.  Same fate probably for Callow.  People like Knightmare overrate these bigger types year after year.  Davis probably too small and not enough tricks for an inside mid.  Collins as an intercepter, third defender type probably too slow and, again. advantaged being man against boys.  Walker uses the ball well but another vanilla player, big question mark can he actually be a weapon out of defence and if he can defend good players.

Thanks @goodoil

I saw Patrick Walker went effective #1 in rookie draft. His kicking skills and run out of defence are elite. I agree he would need to get physically stronger to defend in AFL but that’s true for 95% of all 18 year olds. Most need that one or two summers in the gym. 

4 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Yes.  I believe a club can invite up to 6 players to train with them starting January 6.   Then clubs have to mid March to decide whether to add them to the list ala, Bennell and Lockhart (pending available list spots).

I have a feeling there is a core group of players lots of clubs will be chasing to invite to train.  Hopefully we got in early and have our preferred players join us rather than another club.

Edit:  I can no longer find where I read that 6 players could be invited, so take that part with a grain of salt.

Found it!

From The Age:  "In the week before Christmas clubs can nominate a maximum of six players being considered for the SSP to train with them from January 6 when club's senior players return".  afl/the-afl-to-have-one-mid-season-rookie-draft

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1