Jump to content

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview      

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview     

Punt Road redevelopment


Blind_turn
 Share


Recommended Posts

Wow.  Another rich club gets another government handout when they already have a home base.

Meanwhile we still don't have one.

And why are they calling it  the 'Daniel Andrews State Government '?  It doesnt belong to that lunatic.  Must have been part of the deal to get the funds.

Edited by Pickett2Jackson
  • Like 7
  • Facepalm 4
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


So far we have big tax payer money for Geelong, Footscray, North, Richmond, Carlton and Essendon.  I really don't understand how the general community benefit of spending huge amounts of money on AFL teams.  I get the financial impact AFL has on the Victorian Economy but State and Federal governments just throwing money at clubs isn't money well spent.

St Kilda and Collingwood have had recent cash to upgrade their facilities I'm sure Hawthorn has received a good whack for Dingley, seems we are the only club that has missed out

I hope we do have a good business case for a location as it seems all means of Government are pumping cash into AFL facilities.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The State Government has announced funding of $15.5m for Richmond to enhance facilities at Punt Road Oval on top of $15m of federal funding. North just received $7.3m to do the same. We're being left behind when it comes to developing our own training base. For years now we've heard about 'confidential stakeholder meetings' without the club showing meaningful signs of progress. 

Edited by Swooper Northey
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Swooper Northey said:

The State Government has announced funding of $15.5m for Richmond to enhance facilities at Punt Road Oval on top of $15m of federal funding. North just received $7.3m to do the same. We're being left behind when it comes to developing our own training base. For years now we've heard about 'confidential stakeholder meetings' without the club showing meaningful signs of progress. 

yes Whats the plan???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re OP, not as an indicator of government attitude, I would say. At best, a negotiation leverage for Rennick, Mahoney, et al, if well grasped (to go with all those OTHER leverages listed above!) Seems to be strongly based on its community credentials in the Gamadji and Houli aspects, while our plans are viewable, by those who might want to, as self serving.

Fascinating that a club that has won 3 of the last 4 flags can make a case for "...improvements and much needed upgrades to (its) men's...football facilities..."

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Kent said:

yes Whats the plan???

Other than the club's stated desire to have a base in the Melbourne 'sporting precinct', we've yet to see any firm plan. All communication on this issue from the club has been vague and while I understand things can be sensitive when working with state government, City of Melbourne and the Melbourne & Olympic Park Trust, surely the members deserve a more substantial update? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

And why are they calling it  the 'Daniel Andrews State Government '?  It doesnt belong to that lunatic.  Must have been part of the deal to get the funds.

Well in the initial press release they thanked the Steven Marshall state government. But then upon realization that South Australia weren't contributing anything they decided to amend it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still believe the Government will agree to provide financial support when we have an appropriate proposal to present them with. For some time, I've believed the best plan for us is to work with Collingwood to redevelop Victoria Park so they can return to their nest* while we take over their facilities in Olympic Park.

 

*Once there, if they want to [censored] in it, that's their business. It's what they, and their supporters, do best.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I still believe the Government will agree to provide financial support when we have an appropriate proposal to present them with. For some time, I've believed the best plan for us is to work with Collingwood to redevelop Victoria Park so they can return to their nest* while we take over their facilities in Olympic Park.

 

*Once there, if they want to [censored] in it, that's their business. It's what they, and their supporters, do best.

I guess it depends how much coin Collingwood bring in Pre-Game for functions at Holden Centre

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What you will see in all the press releases about these upgrades you need to do it in conjunction with something Female,  Multi-cultural, Indigenous, other organisations(Pies I think are VIS, Essendon Para-Olympic).  The issue we face in the precinct we are in Collingwood and Richmond have a lot of the community aspect covered. 

Be interesting if the locals kick up about the Richmond re-development as much as they did about our proposed site at the Yarra Park, I'm sure they will be looking for additional land to expand the oval and grand stands

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone with plans ready to go are going to have state and federal governments throw money at them over the next 18 months.

Hopefully we have a well developed plan in the wings or we may miss the stimulus-train.

 

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, sisso said:

Can we at least get a better model Isuzu ute for the boys to get changed in the back of...?

Containers are the new architectural wonders.

You could even change the stacking from time to time to reflect which player is doing well.Would give a new meaning to "top dog".

Surprised that Richmond are pumping more money into Punt Road. It's a small landlocked oval with a concourse that is already packed with a motley collection of buildings.I suspect they are going to extend into their car park area.

As to us I am resigned to an underwhelming outcome. We'll get Gosch's paddock (non exclusive) with admin and gym in a nearby carpark.

Port Melbourne are ripe for a deal on a sharing basis. Would make a lot more sense.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, drdrake said:

So far we have big tax payer money for Geelong, Footscray, North, Richmond, Carlton and Essendon.  I really don't understand how the general community benefit of spending huge amounts of money on AFL teams.  I get the financial impact AFL has on the Victorian Economy but State and Federal governments just throwing money at clubs isn't money well spent.

St Kilda and Collingwood have had recent cash to upgrade their facilities I'm sure Hawthorn has received a good whack for Dingley, seems we are the only club that has missed out

I hope we do have a good business case for a location as it seems all means of Government are pumping cash into AFL facilities.

It is really simple there are no votes in the MFC.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Containers are the new architectural wonders.

You could even change the stacking from time to time to reflect which player is doing well.Would give a new meaning to "top dog".

Surprised that Richmond are pumping more money into Punt Road. It's a small landlocked oval with a concourse that is already packed with a motley collection of buildings.I suspect they are going to extend into their car park area.

As to us I am resigned to an underwhelming outcome. We'll get Gosch's paddock (non exclusive) with admin and gym in a nearby carpark.

Port Melbourne are ripe for a deal on a sharing basis. Would make a lot more sense.

The MFC has decreed that it has to be in the G vacinity . Forget Port Melb it will never get looked at.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Anyone with plans ready to go are going to have state and federal governments throw money at them over the next 18 months.

Hopefully we have a well developed plan in the wings or we may miss the stimulus-train.

 

We need to get public park land. No show in the short term.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, drdrake said:

So far we have big tax payer money for Geelong, Footscray, North, Richmond, Carlton and Essendon.  I really don't understand how the general community benefit of spending huge amounts of money on AFL teams.  I get the financial impact AFL has on the Victorian Economy but State and Federal governments just throwing money at clubs isn't money well spent.

St Kilda and Collingwood have had recent cash to upgrade their facilities I'm sure Hawthorn has received a good whack for Dingley, seems we are the only club that has missed out

I hope we do have a good business case for a location as it seems all means of Government are pumping cash into AFL facilities.

Disagree. It may not be a good business decision for state governments, but for Federal Governments it's a very good idea if it's stimulating growth. 

Most of it is public money rather than taxpayer money anyway and if it goes to people and jobs, and has the ability for some public access, then I don't see the problem.

I think we'll get our base and it'll likely have some hybridity to it, between public and club use. Win, win, win.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, A F said:

Disagree. It may not be a good business decision for state governments, but for Federal Governments it's a very good idea if it's stimulating growth. 

Most of it is public money rather than taxpayer money anyway and if it goes to people and jobs, and has the ability for some public access, then I don't see the problem.

I think we'll get our base and it'll likely have some hybridity to it, between public and club use. Win, win, win.

Very topical with The Crown, didn't Thatcher say  "We know that there is no such thing as public money – there is only taxpayers’ money”?

Millions and millions of dollars on facilities with the only clear need being female change rooms and maybe some public safety measures to allow crowds back in. You could build the Taj Mahal of female change rooms for 500k yet alone 15M.

The men and women don't train or play at the same time anyway so I wonder how necessary the change rooms even are but if it makes it more professional then it's a good idea. VFL crowds haven't had any issues at Punt Road for a few years now either but maybe a few more toilets and somewhere warm to sit would be good too.

But there's no way the spending matches the return when that same money could go on funding tafe, transport, local sporting clubs, hospitals etc. $15M for a few thousand in the crowd, that takes a long time to make back. Clubs aren't growing jobs either, they all just slashed their footy departments by 30%. 

Maybe it's not one or the other. The Vic Government seem determined to spend big on housing and transport as is, which is great. But I'd be looking at giving 1500 local footy teams across the state 10k each to bounce back next year before I gave 15M to Richmond.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY by Whispering Jack

    When the combatants that are due to face off on Monday night at Optus Stadium last met, it was 11 days after the World Health Organization had declared the Covid19 outbreak a global pandemic. In Australia, the first cases had just come to light, including visiting US actors Tom Hanks and wife Rita Wilson, the toilet paper panic was in full flight and the world was starting to reel in anticipation of impending disaster. Half an hour before this last game of the opening round was due to comme

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DELTA DEMONS by KC from Casey

    There was an ill wind blowing for the home side at Casey Fields on  Saturday but you wouldn’t have noticed if you turned up seven or eight minutes into the second quarter with the scoreboard showing the Casey Demons holding a lead of 7.5.47 to Footscray’s solitary point. Up to that stage, the depleted Dees combination had taken full advantage of the windy conditions and headed by veterans Nathan Jones, Jimmy Munro and Mitch White had came out of the blocks and plundered the Bulldogs’ defence.  

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    ON THE FLY by George On The Outer

    After spending most of the previous day in the air, flying between Queensland and Victoria, it was hard to imagine the Demons would be at their best.   But this team was on the fly on the field as well and produced a clinical display which saw them record a 98 point win to put aside any questions about the side being out of form.   Certainly, the Suns who have fallen away badly in the second half of the season were their opponents, but with the Demons looking for a confidence boo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CITIUS, ALTIUS, FORTIUS by The Oracle

    This weekend, the Melbourne Football Club was supposed to embark on a tour that started with what looked like an innocent trip to the country’s sunny Gold Coast. However, the Covid19 pandemic intervened to bring them back home for this week at least. Next week, it’s off to the West Coast but conspiracy theorists are already suggesting that this interstate sojourn could take the team all the way across the country over the next month and indeed, there are cynics who even believe that it could bec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE YEAR THE SNOWFLAKES FELL by Whispering Jack

    The snow that fell on the slopes of Victoria’s mountain districts in the winter of 1965 was not considered good enough to satisfy the enthusiasts. The really heavy snow that season came in two waves further north in July and August. The first descended on the national capital where “Pig Iron Bob” still held sway. Snow flurries touched the landscape all the way across the Blue Mountains. The next big snow extended further north up to the hills around Mackay in Queensland. Snowflakes fell inside t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 10

    DEES GIVE DOGS A BONE by George On The Outer

    First place versus second on the ladder promised to be a precursor to what can be expected in the coming finals race.  However, it was the Demons who faltered and gave the Bulldogs a bone to feed their hunger just weeks out from the end of the season. The win also sent the Dogs to the top of the ladder, a position they are unlikely to cede in the coming weeks, given their fixture. While Melbourne may now struggle to keep a spot in the top four with its draw and will likely depend on the res

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE WORM WILL TURN by The Oracle

    When I was asked to preview this game, I wasn’t sure whether it was going to be played in Darwin, on the Gold Coast or the MCG. I had no idea as to the identity of Melbourne’s opponent. This would have made for one hell of an interesting match preview so I’m glad that the AFL managed to reorganize its fixture to enable a game … any game at all … to proceed in Round 19. We’ll worry about the Gold Coast Suns or whoever they put us up against when the weekend’s done and dusted and if and when

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DRAWN AND DEEFLATED by George on the Outer

    1st v 17th ... it would seem a sure one way contest between the Hawks and the Demons but it was not to be with the game finishing in a draw, the only positive being the Demons still retain their top spot on the ladder. Melbourne was taught a football lesson by Al Clarkson, who with limited resources, just instructed his players to scrap, fight and surge the ball forward.  It stifled the Melbourne free flowing style of play and denied them the opportunities they could normally expect. I

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PINK RAIN by Whispering Jack

    There is no certainty about life under a pandemic. You wake up one morning without a care in the world; the sun’s shining and it’s a beautiful day. An hour later, everything’s up in the air, the entire state is on high alert and the apartment complex next door’s in lockdown. The simple decision you had to make about buying a ticket to the footy at the weekend suddenly might get put on the back burner. There are other things in life to prioritise and on top of that, they’re predicting rain for th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    COR BLIMEY by KC from Casey

    In years to come, the old timers will talk in wonderment about the “Avalon Avalanche” that hit Werribee’s Avalon Airport Oval on a mild winter’s afternoon at about ten minutes after the halfway mark of the game between the local Tigers and their cross town rivals, the Demons from Casey. At that moment in time, the game was poised as if on a knifepoint. Up until the main interval, it had been the visiting team which had maintained the lead from the start but it had struggled to entirely asse

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    POWER FAILURE by George on the Outer

    South Australians should be well familiar with the damage that storms can do to the power supply.  But Port Power forgot those lessons on Thursday night football as they watched the Melbourne storm descend upon them from across the border and ruin their hopes of a top four placing. Just as equally, the win to the Demons cemented their spot in the top two and sent out the message that a team who had been going around in circles for the past couple of weeks, has in fact, turned into a cyclone

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CASEY SUFFER FIRST DEFEAT IN TWO YEARS

    The circumstances were a little unusual last Saturday night as KC from Casey was unavailable to report on the Casey Dees due to work commitments. On the ground things were somewhat unusual as well given that, although there was a game to be won on the night, preparations were also being made for the forthcoming Thursday night clash against Port Adelaide with Ben Brown rested for large slabs of the evening. It turned out perhaps, to be a stroke of genius for Melbourne with Brown making a strong c

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles


×
×
  • Create New...