Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Punt Road redevelopment

Blind_turn

Wow.  Another rich club gets another government handout when they already have a home base.

Meanwhile we still don't have one.

And why are they calling it  the 'Daniel Andrews State Government '?  It doesnt belong to that lunatic.  Must have been part of the deal to get the funds.

Edited by Pickett2Jackson
  • Like 7
  • Facepalm 4
  • Angry 1

So far we have big tax payer money for Geelong, Footscray, North, Richmond, Carlton and Essendon.  I really don't understand how the general community benefit of spending huge amounts of money on AFL teams.  I get the financial impact AFL has on the Victorian Economy but State and Federal governments just throwing money at clubs isn't money well spent.

St Kilda and Collingwood have had recent cash to upgrade their facilities I'm sure Hawthorn has received a good whack for Dingley, seems we are the only club that has missed out

I hope we do have a good business case for a location as it seems all means of Government are pumping cash into AFL facilities.

• Like 3

The State Government has announced funding of $15.5m for Richmond to enhance facilities at Punt Road Oval on top of $15m of federal funding. North just received $7.3m to do the same. We're being left behind when it comes to developing our own training base. For years now we've heard about 'confidential stakeholder meetings' without the club showing meaningful signs of progress. 

Edited by Swooper Northey
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Swooper Northey said:

The State Government has announced funding of $15.5m for Richmond to enhance facilities at Punt Road Oval on top of $15m of federal funding. North just received $7.3m to do the same. We're being left behind when it comes to developing our own training base. For years now we've heard about 'confidential stakeholder meetings' without the club showing meaningful signs of progress. 

yes Whats the plan???

Re OP, not as an indicator of government attitude, I would say. At best, a negotiation leverage for Rennick, Mahoney, et al, if well grasped (to go with all those OTHER leverages listed above!) Seems to be strongly based on its community credentials in the Gamadji and Houli aspects, while our plans are viewable, by those who might want to, as self serving.

Fascinating that a club that has won 3 of the last 4 flags can make a case for "...improvements and much needed upgrades to (its) men's...football facilities..."

• Like 1

Just now, Kent said:

yes Whats the plan???

Other than the club's stated desire to have a base in the Melbourne 'sporting precinct', we've yet to see any firm plan. All communication on this issue from the club has been vague and while I understand things can be sensitive when working with state government, City of Melbourne and the Melbourne & Olympic Park Trust, surely the members deserve a more substantial update? 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

And why are they calling it  the 'Daniel Andrews State Government '?  It doesnt belong to that lunatic.  Must have been part of the deal to get the funds.

Well in the initial press release they thanked the Steven Marshall state government. But then upon realization that South Australia weren't contributing anything they decided to amend it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I still believe the Government will agree to provide financial support when we have an appropriate proposal to present them with. For some time, I've believed the best plan for us is to work with Collingwood to redevelop Victoria Park so they can return to their nest* while we take over their facilities in Olympic Park.

*Once there, if they want to [censored] in it, that's their business. It's what they, and their supporters, do best.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

7 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I still believe the Government will agree to provide financial support when we have an appropriate proposal to present them with. For some time, I've believed the best plan for us is to work with Collingwood to redevelop Victoria Park so they can return to their nest* while we take over their facilities in Olympic Park.

*Once there, if they want to [censored] in it, that's their business. It's what they, and their supporters, do best.

I guess it depends how much coin Collingwood bring in Pre-Game for functions at Holden Centre

• Like 1

What you will see in all the press releases about these upgrades you need to do it in conjunction with something Female,  Multi-cultural, Indigenous, other organisations(Pies I think are VIS, Essendon Para-Olympic).  The issue we face in the precinct we are in Collingwood and Richmond have a lot of the community aspect covered. 

Be interesting if the locals kick up about the Richmond re-development as much as they did about our proposed site at the Yarra Park, I'm sure they will be looking for additional land to expand the oval and grand stands

• Like 1

Anyone with plans ready to go are going to have state and federal governments throw money at them over the next 18 months.

Hopefully we have a well developed plan in the wings or we may miss the stimulus-train.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, sisso said:

Can we at least get a better model Isuzu ute for the boys to get changed in the back of...?

Containers are the new architectural wonders.

You could even change the stacking from time to time to reflect which player is doing well.Would give a new meaning to "top dog".

Surprised that Richmond are pumping more money into Punt Road. It's a small landlocked oval with a concourse that is already packed with a motley collection of buildings.I suspect they are going to extend into their car park area.

As to us I am resigned to an underwhelming outcome. We'll get Gosch's paddock (non exclusive) with admin and gym in a nearby carpark.

Port Melbourne are ripe for a deal on a sharing basis. Would make a lot more sense.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, drdrake said:

So far we have big tax payer money for Geelong, Footscray, North, Richmond, Carlton and Essendon.  I really don't understand how the general community benefit of spending huge amounts of money on AFL teams.  I get the financial impact AFL has on the Victorian Economy but State and Federal governments just throwing money at clubs isn't money well spent.

St Kilda and Collingwood have had recent cash to upgrade their facilities I'm sure Hawthorn has received a good whack for Dingley, seems we are the only club that has missed out

I hope we do have a good business case for a location as it seems all means of Government are pumping cash into AFL facilities.

It is really simple there are no votes in the MFC.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Containers are the new architectural wonders.

You could even change the stacking from time to time to reflect which player is doing well.Would give a new meaning to "top dog".

Surprised that Richmond are pumping more money into Punt Road. It's a small landlocked oval with a concourse that is already packed with a motley collection of buildings.I suspect they are going to extend into their car park area.

As to us I am resigned to an underwhelming outcome. We'll get Gosch's paddock (non exclusive) with admin and gym in a nearby carpark.

Port Melbourne are ripe for a deal on a sharing basis. Would make a lot more sense.

The MFC has decreed that it has to be in the G vacinity . Forget Port Melb it will never get looked at.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Anyone with plans ready to go are going to have state and federal governments throw money at them over the next 18 months.

Hopefully we have a well developed plan in the wings or we may miss the stimulus-train.

We need to get public park land. No show in the short term.

6 hours ago, drdrake said:

Disagree. It may not be a good business decision for state governments, but for Federal Governments it's a very good idea if it's stimulating growth. 

Most of it is public money rather than taxpayer money anyway and if it goes to people and jobs, and has the ability for some public access, then I don't see the problem.

I think we'll get our base and it'll likely have some hybridity to it, between public and club use. Win, win, win.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, A F said:

Disagree. It may not be a good business decision for state governments, but for Federal Governments it's a very good idea if it's stimulating growth. 

Most of it is public money rather than taxpayer money anyway and if it goes to people and jobs, and has the ability for some public access, then I don't see the problem.

I think we'll get our base and it'll likely have some hybridity to it, between public and club use. Win, win, win.

Very topical with The Crown, didn't Thatcher say  "We know that there is no such thing as public money – there is only taxpayers’ money”?

Millions and millions of dollars on facilities with the only clear need being female change rooms and maybe some public safety measures to allow crowds back in. You could build the Taj Mahal of female change rooms for 500k yet alone 15M.

The men and women don't train or play at the same time anyway so I wonder how necessary the change rooms even are but if it makes it more professional then it's a good idea. VFL crowds haven't had any issues at Punt Road for a few years now either but maybe a few more toilets and somewhere warm to sit would be good too.

But there's no way the spending matches the return when that same money could go on funding tafe, transport, local sporting clubs, hospitals etc. $15M for a few thousand in the crowd, that takes a long time to make back. Clubs aren't growing jobs either, they all just slashed their footy departments by 30%. 

Maybe it's not one or the other. The Vic Government seem determined to spend big on housing and transport as is, which is great. But I'd be looking at giving 1500 local footy teams across the state 10k each to bounce back next year before I gave 15M to Richmond.

• Like 4