James Harmes

dazzledavey36

Where do we want James Harmes at?  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Harmes has grown immensely on me over his time at the club, I used to think he was a bit of a clown and happily retract that slight with my humble apologies. His 'run with' ability is his ace, he plays a team role perfectly, and by doing so becomes as valuable a player as a 'star' mid. The scalps he has taken suggest stick with what works, and thanks heaps for working so damn hard James.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

• 1 year later...

Always one to read into things... it's a nice vote of confidence for the value of James Harmes to the team when marketing are acknowledging him in the VFL...would that be driven via the FD?

Or is it more around his personal circumstances?

Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 17.27.40.png

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 13
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, Engorged Onion said:

Always one to read into things... it's a nice vote of confidence for the value of James Harmes to the team when marketing are acknowledging him in the VFL...would that be driven via the FD?

And Tmac kicked goals against east perth under 10's and everyone one was saying he's back in form, that worked out well.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 6
  • Thinking 1
  • Vomit 1

1 hour ago, demon3165 said:

And Tmac kicked goals against east perth under 10's and everyone one was saying he's back in form, that worked out well.

Oh no, are you the same person that recently posted Viney has no football IQ? Is there anything about anyone on our list that meets your high standards?  Anyone?

• Like 2
  • Clap 2

2 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

I often think the stories about certain players that get on the MFC socials are there by design to prepare supporters for likely changes, debuts etc etc.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

Yep and did you read why? and there is plenty, most of the list I like, but I look at a game eyes open, not he's my favourite player so you cannot criticise, so tell me does Tmac deserve a game on his form?

I think you may have missed the point being made here. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

Either or both options to read into are highly worthy IMHO.

Love Harmesy in so many ways:

*  Loyal Red and Blue to the core and living the dream of any die hard MFC supporter  (read this if you need any reminding https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/south-east/lifelong-melbourne-football-club-fan-james-harmes-fulfils-his-demon-dream-through-draft/news-story/687a68a12ad631327bea0b0842a4c69f )

*  Might not be the most talented player on our list, but always has a red hot crack.  I think this would put him in good regard with Goody and Max.

*  Plus I think his skills and athletic ability are better than many give him credit for.

I think there's still plenty more to come in the James Harmes story, but amoung other things, I'll always remember him as the player that gathered cleanly at pace, burst clear and nailed the pass to Fritsch that turned the 2021 Grand Final into the first MFC premiership in my lifetime.

I get the impression from afar, that he's also a pretty solid character that's elevated himself to achieve within his best abilities from the outer burbs in Melbourne.

If he's been through something personal sufficient to keep him play for 2 weeks, then it must have been something pretty significant to hims, so I just think it the perfect time for the MFC faithful to get around him and show him some love.  34 touches for your first game back in a few weeks is a pretty decient effort and I'm personally backing him to show that kind of form and determination when he gets his chance again soon at AFL level.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3
  • Clap 3

13 hours ago, Deebymistake said:

Oh no, are you the same person that recently posted Viney has no football IQ? Is there anything about anyone on our list that meets your high standards?  Anyone?

I suspect he is a troll.

• Clap 1

41 minutes ago, layzie said:

How many 'Citations needed' are they up to on that page?

One less now. That particular line has been amended. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roost it far said:

I just like the way the general public don't know what his "personal" reasons for missing are. Well played by the club.

Why should the general public know, right? Outside of the Club it’s nobody else’s business. Even within the Club there’s some who aren’t privy to the reasons. I don’t know about other clubs but our Club is very successful in keeping things under wraps. Speaks to the trust and respect of everyone involved. 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 11
  • Clap 1

3 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Why should the general public know, right? Outside of the Club it’s nobody else’s business. Even within the Club there’s some who aren’t privy to the reasons. I don’t know about other clubs but our Club is very successful in keeping things under wraps. Speaks to the trust and respect of everyone involved. 

I just hope he's alright. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

It'll be interesting to see how Harmes slots back in.

I see a cycle with him. It starts where he goes in to 'do a job' - play a tight defensive role on a suitably dangerous opposition midfielder or half-back - and he has enough initiative to then burst off that position for a moment and get the bonus counter-attack.

When it goes well the player he is shadowing keeps taking him to the right places to rack up disposals, and he looks like a potent midfielder overall.

But then there's a game where there isn't really a suitable opponent, and on evident form you couldn't possibly drop him, so he play a more open role. Despite being given that freedom, his numbers and impact don't go up and often will go down. The experiment with him as a general midfielder carries on for a while with him being average as a mid but now not providing the shutdown value. His form dips, he maybe spends a round or two out, and then is called up to do his original job, and is excellent. Start the cycle again.

I think the problem is that Harmes so often has moments that look like an excellent penetrating midfielder (All hail the GF breakaway pass!) that there is a constant temptation to try to turn him into one full-time.

It simply isn't his best role. If we use him for his best role he's a lock in the 22 and will finish up a deeply respected 200+ game player. If we try to make him something he's not, even now he would be on the edge of selection competing against Jordon, Rivers, Sparrow and the even younger kids coming through.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, old dee said:

I suspect he is a troll.

No I don't believe so old dee

More so someone who speaks their mind against the majority view.  A bit negative?  We can all be like that

We need differing views to promote debate

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Macca said:

No I don't believe so old dee

More so someone who speaks their mind against the majority view.  A bit negative?  We can all be like that

We need differing views to promote debate

3165's views do come across pretty hateful.  I hope 3165 gets some joy in other areas of their life because it doesn't appear that our beloved dees give he/she much!

• Like 1
  • Clap 1