The Splitting of Pick 8

Demonland

2 minutes ago, durango said:

You all realise if we don't bid on Green the AFL will investigate the draft tampering and we will get caught because the people who did do a deal are weak and will confess to save their skins, Dean Bailey and Chris Connolly.

Poor comment on a deceased person 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Red and Blue realist said:

I see this as a real draft day decision, I think we'll take Jackson at pick 3 and then will see how the rest of the draft order shapes up to see if we split 8 or not. There's a chance Young or Serong are available at 8 and I think we'd take them, but if both are gone, then I think we'd looking at trying to get access to Weightman, Pickett or Taylor. 

Yeah agree with more or less all of that. I’m now of the opinion we will take Jackson at 3 and weight and see who’s available at 8 before pulling trigger on possible split. It will also depend who we are doing split with I guess as well. If Young is gone but still 3/4 players we rate highly like Kemp, Weightman,Serong or Stephens then we might be tempted to do a deal with Freo as we know some of those players will still be there at 10. 

Just saw Jay Clarks phantom draft and he is absolutely convinced we will be trading pick 8 but didn't go into to which team.

and is equally convinced we'd be picking Luke Jackson at pick 3

11 hours ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

Just saw Jay Clarks phantom draft and he is absolutely convinced we will be trading pick 8 but didn't go into to which team.

and is equally convinced we'd be picking Luke Jackson at pick 3

Ruckman as very early draft picks are scary...and mixed. Josh Fraser, mishandled by Malthouse and failed to meet expectations. Jeff White, fantastic until rule changes limited his impact. Any others?

If we split pick 8 and one of those become a pick in teh 20's then its a bad move. We hole all teh aces, pick 8 should become Geelong's 14 & 17 at the very least. we dont give up a first round selection next year not to give it up easily again. 

It appear Jackson is going at P3 which i dont agree on, not saying he wont be a good player, but its a draft that we surely pick players for needs basis, like Young a skilled HBF that will release players. Time will tell.

There is a list of ruckmen picked early in the draft like Richard Lounder, Billy Longer and Stephen Hooper who were failures because they were tall players who were playing against midgets.

When the MFC recuited Gawn at 34 and Fitzpatrick in the 50's the recruiter thought Fitzpatrick was the better footballer.

I have watched and worked for this club (10 Years) for the last 66 years and the recruiter have always shot themselves in the foot by falling in love with a footballer for one reason or another.

I talked and worked for Ray Jordan who had a good theory that any footballer who does not have enough mongrel in their makeup are not worth pursuing as a player. 

Edited by durango
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, pitmaster said:

Ruckman as very early draft picks are scary...and mixed. Josh Fraser, mishandled by Malthouse and failed to meet expectations. Jeff White, fantastic until rule changes limited his impact. Any others?

Brodie Grundy was a first round pick, granted he slid down the order further than was expected. 

Ben McEvoy was also from memory. 

1 hour ago, pitmaster said:

Nic Natanui goes alright.

2 hours ago, durango said:

There is a list of ruckmen picked early in the draft like Richard Lounder, Billy Longer and Stephen Hooper who were failures because they were tall players who were playing against midgets.

When the MFC recuited Gawn at 34 and Fitzpatrick in the 50's the recruiter thought Fitzpatrick was the better footballer.

I have watched and worked for this club (10 Years) for the last 66 years and the recruiter have always shot themselves in the foot by falling in love with a footballer for one reason or another.

I talked and worked for Ray Jordan who had a good theory that any footballer who does not have enough mongrel in their makeup are not worth pursuing as a player. 

this. Competitiveness goes a loooong way. as they need to improve and adjust as they go. Calrksons speech for Lewis when he retired was telling. Lewis was valuable for the team as a competitor. He was the go to man as third man up at the ruck contest. then they changed the rule. He was execellent at impacting the contest slinding low into packs. then they changed the rule. Yet he found a way to be valuable and played 300 games. Was not quick, great reader of play, started as a poor kick too, but was very observant on the field and thought about the game. the ultimate competitor. 

• Like 1

Good, Jackson at 3, then  use 8 on what we need. Nic Nat was a pick 2 and we missed that one. turned out ok. 

If we get to pick 8 and we see opportunity perhaps pick the extra player by grabbing 14 and 17 etc. 

I still think we traded well and our team is solid. An easy draw and a fit team. Looks good!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Demon3 said:

If we split pick 8 and one of those become a pick in teh 20's then its a bad move. We hole all teh aces, pick 8 should become Geelong's 14 & 17 at the very least. we dont give up a first round selection next year not to give it up easily again. 

It appear Jackson is going at P3 which i dont agree on, not saying he wont be a good player, but its a draft that we surely pick players for needs basis, like Young a skilled HBF that will release players. Time will tell.

There's an increasing chance that Young gets through to 8, so I hope we don't make a decision to split until draft day, but with clubs rankings of players and more knowledge of where players might go, it looks like picks in the 20's will be handy as there may be a few (generally) highly rated kids slipping through.

If we get to 8 and Young and Ash are off the board, I'm comfortable splitting as we are a good chance of getting similar types a bit later on as well getting a small forward. What this draft pool does have is a number of half-back options and small forwards!

• Like 2

Hoping to split pick 8 into 10+22.

Take Young/Jackson at 3. We could then use 10 to grab whoever is left out of Kemp, Serong, Stephens, Ash etc. 22 can then be used on a small forward such as Weightman, Taylor or Pickett.

A combination of those 3 players being added to the list would be a great draft period for us.

Add Langdon, Tomlinson and Bennell, and it's a good off-season!

• Like 7

Good, Jackson at 3, then  use 8 on what we need. Nic Nat was a pick 2 and we missed that one. turned out ok. 

If we get to pick 8 and we see opportunity perhaps pick the extra player by grabbing 14 and 17 etc. 

I still think we traded well and our team is solid.

Would love Jackson and Young at 3 and 8  though

Image result for kramer oh yeah meme