Jump to content
  • Podcast:      

Demondan75

Petracca on the Move?

Recommended Posts

So there has not been one credible source for this.  Not one newspaper line or ‘rumour’.  Suggest this is tail chasing as self soothing butt hole licking.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, R.I.P. Troy said:

[censored] me, here we go again. Hate this time of year.

There would be 17 clubs into him.

He's not going anywhere.

 

I'd say 18 clubs would want his services Troy, don't discount our own

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Offseason is so much better when we're getting Pick 2 and Langdon, as opposed to losing Pick 2, Petracca, and have a split playing group.

(If the playing list is split, the current captains cannot be reappointed. If it is specifically due to Viney, that's just another error by the coaching staff. Turns out this season can get worse..) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, chookrat said:

I'm with ugottobekiddong on this one. Supporters whingeing that we are hard done by impacts how our club is viewed within the broader AFL community.  Stop being naffs and playing the victim and start looking at what we can do. 

I'm not worried about how we are seen amongst the broader community - supporters opinions do not influence the day to day running of the club, or strategic list management, or winning premierships, etc etc etc etc..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

I'm not worried about how we are seen amongst the broader community - supporters opinions do not influence the day to day running of the club, or strategic list management, or winning premierships, etc etc etc etc..

But they do influence the financial strength of the club via memberships, game attendance, buying sponsor's products and buying merchandising.  And # of members is a major determinant of FTA time slots which is important to sponsors to get TV exposure.

Sure, our voice isn't loud but I do feel the club cares what supporters think as they have the 'power of the purse' so to speak and can walk away (and have shown they will) at any time.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't tell me we're going to lose Petracca. It'll probably end up being Langdon in and Petracca out. And no better off in the draft. Yeah great MFC.

Just so long as we sign up ANB and JKH and Oscar and Stretch. Yeah well done. Hoorah.

Can we sell some more home games as well so I don't have to turn up anymore.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2019 at 10:58 AM, Demon3 said:

Trac wont go, but like lots of things, we have 1 year to sure everything up, the mass exodus may not be this year, but it will be next year if we are still a  basketcase.

 

 

Agreed. If 2020 is a mess, the doors will fly open

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be more worried about the Pies snatching him than the Cats but let's hope he is happy to at least see out his contract.

Obviously 2020 is looming as a massive year for the entire club.  An improvement is expected but a bigger one would help even more with out of contract negotiations in situations like this one.

In many ways we need to land a big fish (or two!) in the trade and end the year on a strong positive.

A big list cull of NQRs and a few new marquee players coming in might be just the tonic and see us going in to 2020 with a touch more positivity and excitement.

Time to go on a spending spree me thinks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, deespicable me said:

Don't tell me we're going to lose Petracca. It'll probably end up being Langdon in and Petracca out. And no better off in the draft. Yeah great MFC.

Just so long as we sign up ANB and JKH and Oscar and Stretch. Yeah well done. Hoorah.

Can we sell some more home games as well so I don't have to turn up anymore.

 

Yep, just like last year where we got rid of Hogan to be replaced by May, who proved to be unfit, and walked around patting ourselves on the back. All while letting half-decent depth players like Kent walk for peanuts in a bid to recruit Wagner's brother. Then thinking KK was a prized recruit we got on the cheap. We have overrated our list, and cleaned out players that were talented in the hope of half-baked spuds like ANB, Wagner and Stretch would cut the mustard at AFL level. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

I would be more worried about the Pies snatching him than the Cats but let's hope he is happy to at least see out his contract.

Obviously 2020 is looming as a massive year for the entire club.  An improvement is expected but a bigger one would help even more with out of contract negotiations in situations like this one.

In many ways we need to land a big fish (or two!) in the trade and end the year on a strong positive.

A big list cull of NQRs and a few new marquee players coming in might be just the tonic and see us going in to 2020 with a touch more positivity and excitement.

Time to go on a spending spree me thinks.

The Pies have no cap room

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

Yep, just like last year where we got rid of Hogan to be replaced by May, who proved to be unfit, and walked around patting ourselves on the back. All while letting half-decent depth players like Kent walk for peanuts in a bid to recruit Wagner's brother. Then thinking KK was a prized recruit we got on the cheap. We have overrated our list, and cleaned out players that were talented in the hope of half-baked spuds like ANB, Wagner and Stretch would cut the mustard at AFL level. 

Two things.

One, Steven May proved when he was fit that he'll be a massive asset in our backline.  True, he could have been more professional in his approach to pre-season training which then hampered his year, but I've seen enough to be convinced that getting him is the right move.

Two, it's not as if Hogan set the world alight at Freo.  His foot looks to be a long term injury concern for him so it's not as if he went and kicked 60 goals for the season.

And Dean Kent did what we all knew he would - play decent footy and then get a long term injury.  Regular as clockwork.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

The Pies have no cap room

That is true D11.  They are in a conundrum with the Grundy deal as it is and the flow on from that likely to hit them elsewhere.

That gives me.more confidence on Tracc staying.  We should also consider the Elliot option and free up our two younger tall forwards if needed to get him and Cameron in for 2020.  Cameron is pie in the sky and not due till next year but it does have a nice ring to it on paper.

F:  Elliot  Cameron  Lockhart/Chandler/?

HF:  Fritschkreig  T-Mac  Melk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rusty Nails said:

That is true D11.  They are in a conundrum with the Grundy deal as it is and the flow on from that likely to hit them elsewhere.

That gives me.more confidence on Tracc staying.  We should also consider the Elliot option and free up our two younger tall forwards if needed to get him and Cameron in for 2020.  Cameron is pie in the sky and not due till next year but it does have a nice ring to it on paper.

F:  Elliot  Cameron  Lockhart/Chandler/?

HF:  Fritschkreig  T-Mac  Melk

If we get Jeremy Cameron to the club then I'll change my avatar to a pic of Saty for an entire year. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

If we get Jeremy Cameron to the club then I'll change my avatar to a pic of Saty for an entire year. 

And continually deny our players had an interrupted pre-season due to injuries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

And continually deny our players had an interrupted pre-season due to injuries. 

I'll change my username to this as well:

NoPreasonInjuries

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Tracc will stay but not because pies have no cap room - they lose Wells this year who was reportedly on $600k p.a.  They also lose lesser players like Dunne.  

So will have the cap space to target players and they repeatedly get players without paying a premium.

Tracc comes out of contract next year so if he is unhappy and puts off contract talks then it might be a different story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

If we get Jeremy Cameron to the club then I'll change my avatar to a pic of Saty for an entire year. 

I was a tad hesitant at first Wise ... but why not.  Anything for Cameron!

weed GIF

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Two things.

One, Steven May proved when he was fit that he'll be a massive asset in our backline.  True, he could have been more professional in his approach to pre-season training which then hampered his year, but I've seen enough to be convinced that getting him is the right move.

Two, it's not as if Hogan set the world alight at Freo.  His foot looks to be a long term injury concern for him so it's not as if he went and kicked 60 goals for the season.

And Dean Kent did what we all knew he would - play decent footy and then get a long term injury.  Regular as clockwork.

There is a lot to play out here, but it's looking like a disaster.

I agree he looked good when he played but......

Firstly, he gave us very little this season and would have been a free agent now, Collingwood got Jordan Roughead for nothing and have got more out of him this season. 

Secondly, if we don't bounce back and compete for a flag next season, it is a disaster. If he is a good player and we don't make finals it's a bad trade even if he wins our best and fairest. He is/will be 28. He should be in his prime and we need to be competing. 

We didn't just give up Hogan, we gave up Bailey Smith or Ben King to get him. Both look like outstanding prospects so that is what he will be compared to unless the team is competing for a premiership.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Watts the matter said:

There is a lot to play out here, but it's looking like a disaster.

I agree he looked good when he played but......

Firstly, he gave us very little this season and would have been a free agent now, Collingwood got Jordan Roughead for nothing and have got more out of him this season. 

Secondly, if we don't bounce back and compete for a flag next season, it is a disaster. If he is a good player and we don't make finals it's a bad trade even if he wins our best and fairest. He is/will be 28. He should be in his prime and we need to be competing. 

We didn't just give up Hogan, we gave up Bailey Smith or Ben King to get him. Both look like outstanding prospects so that is what he will be compared to unless the team is competing for a premiership.

 

A lot of 'what ifs' for something you claim is 'looking like a disaster'.

Plenty to play out here and I'm just going by this year.  Anything can happen in the ensuing years.  We can argue that point after it's happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Wiseblood said:

A lot of 'what ifs' for something you claim is 'looking like a disaster'.

Plenty to play out here and I'm just going by this year.  Anything can happen in the ensuing years.  We can argue that point after it's happened.

I agree, at the time of the trade, I didn't know how I felt about it and am still unsure.

I like May as a player, but we gave up a lot to get him.

I don't see how after finishing 17th and the season he had you could call it anything but a disaster. 

If he was to win our next 3 best and fairest's and we don't make the finals in any of those seasons would you call that a successful trade?

Have you seen Bailey Smith play?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, buck_nekkid said:

So there has not been one credible source for this.  Not one newspaper line or ‘rumour’.  Suggest this is tail chasing as self soothing butt hole licking.

 

Yep- when’s this story going to break in the 24 hour AFL news cycle that’s starving for news..?

Christian Petracca meeting with Geelong and Collingwood worthy of a tweet, article, thread on BigFooty..?  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so nothing but BS rumours on Trac leaving then?

good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there areTrade Brayshaw and Trade Viney threads then there can be a Trade Petracca thread. 

Just depends on whether you believe he’s genuinely going to get any better or not. Purely statistically he is treading water season upon season:

https://finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=2626

Those are average numbers. Disappointing really for a number 2 draft pick after his fifth season.

I’ve seen cases made where some of our supporters put him in the top ten forwards in the competition, which is plainly ridiculous. From my vantage point he’s a player who continues to operate off the unearned hype of media adulation, a player with serious flaws (especially with his kicking action) which may never correct themselves. 

I say sell now while he still has value. We’d get a pick from 8 - 15 for him which we could use on a classy outside runner ... or maybe even young Fischer McAsey to bolster our key forward stocks.

Something has always been a bit off key about Petracca IMO. Work ethic, attitude, drive to succeed ... can’t quite put my finger on it but something has never quite sit right looking on.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, GetJonnoPatton said:

If there areTrade Brayshaw and Trade Viney threads then there can be a Trade Petracca thread. 

Just depends on whether you believe he’s genuinely going to get any better or not. Purely statistically he is treading water season upon season:

https://finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=2626

Those are average numbers. Disappointing really for a number 2 draft pick after his fifth season.

I’ve seen cases made where some of our supporters put him in the top ten forwards in the competition, which is plainly ridiculous. From my vantage point he’s a player who continues to operate off the unearned hype of media adulation, a player with serious flaws (especially with his kicking action) which may never correct themselves. 

I say sell now while he still has value. We’d get a pick from 8 - 15 for him which we could use on a classy outside runner ... or maybe even young Fischer McAsey to bolster our key forward stocks.

Something has always been a bit off key about Petracca IMO. Work ethic, attitude, drive to succeed ... can’t quite put my finger on it but something has never quite sit right looking on.

i think it is quite simple - he doesn't have the tank to play 4 quarters. If he wants midfield time that will need to change.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE 2020 EQUATION by Whispering Jack

    The 2020 equation is simple for the Melbourne Football Club – it must keep winning and it must take some big scalps during the second half of the season without dropping games against the lesser lights. The Demons have gone down this season to the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th teams on the ladder including twice by less than a goal in games that could easily have gone the other way. Against that, they have beaten 11th, 13th, 14th and 18th and though they thumped the Crows during the week, the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE TORRENS THUMPING by George on the Outer

    THE TORRENS THUMPING - LEAVING THE DEMONS BEHIND That headline might lead a reader to think that Melbourne had lost badly in Adelaide but no!  It was actually the MFC which left it’s demons from the previous week behind as it applied the blowtorch to the Crows in the final quarter of their match at the Adelaide Oval and went on their merry way to record a 51 point win before their biggest crowd of the year (even if they were mainly hostile). Much had been made in the media about t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    STATE OF DEESASTER by the Oracle

    Melbourne’s circus caravan rolls into Adelaide on Wednesday night, an event that will put shivers up the spine of every Crows’ supporter as they look directly into the face of disaster. The flakey Demons left their home town a month ago and proceeded to rough up the Gold Coast Suns and Hawthorn in Sydney before moving on to the sunny Queensland where they missed by a bee’s diaphragm against the more or less local second-on-ladder Brisbane Lions. Then, they had to butter up against the top t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    OVERPOWERED by George on the Outer

    In a dismal display against Port Adelaide, Melbourne showed it had learnt nothing from their previous week’s loss to Brisbane. Port, in contrast, after losing to St.Kilda, addressed their failings, and as a result made the Demons look like a second-rate side.  Melbourne failed to score a goal in the first quarter, and the first time it seriously troubled the goal umpire was saved until a minute before half-time.  Did it get any better?  No with their meagre three goals for the sec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DESPERATION OF THE MOMENT by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne’s recent win against Hawthorn highlighted how important Max Gawn’s ruck domination is for the team. A week later however, that domination continued but its effect was totally blunted by the Brisbane Lions midfield and, as a consequence, what could have been an easy win over a leading AFL contender turned into a disappointing but close loss and a sense of desperation now looms over the club as the halfway mark of the season approaches. This week’s opponent in Port Adelaide also und

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE FOUR POINT FAIL by George on the Outer

    Melbourne went down by 4 points in a thrilling finish against Brisbane, but they failed by more than the 4 points.     They also failed to score the 4 points necessary to keep them in the race for the finals, and now find themselves sitting 6 points outside the top 8, but effectively 2 games outside (even though they have a game in hand).   The Demons had more than enough opportunities to win.  Six very easy shots on goal failed to bother the goal umpire with a major and ultimate

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NORTH OF THE BORDER PART 2 by The Oracle

    The travelling COVID circus moves north of the border yet again and, unless at some time in the near future, Papua New Guinea opens its borders, this could be the last time this phenomenon happens. And as fortune would dictate, the resurgent Demons are walking directly into the sights of the locals from the bright lights of Brizvegas to Carrara - the scene of some long-forgotten (and deservedly so) battles with one of the Lions’ former incarnations, namely, the Brisbane Bears. But unli

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ON THE NOSE by George on the Outer

    One of the Hawthorn Football Club’s valued sponsors is Azep® Nasal Spray and given the thrashing handed out to the Hawks in today’s game, it would appear that they need a huge supply of the sponsor’s product because they are simply on the nose. This condition was caused by the sheer dominance of the Demons, led magnificently by skipper Max Gawn with 27 hitouts and 22 disposals including two clearances. Around him in the middle were Christian Petracca with 29 touches, Clayton Oliver (also on

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PREMIER LEAGUE by Whispering Jack

    So the new man under the pump is Clarko, which demonstrates how sad but predictable the football media is these days. In an age where each AFL team’s form can be topsy turvy and unpredictability is the order of the day, the coach of a team that has played five out of the top six teams from the previous season and sits with a 3/3 win loss record is this week’s whipping boy.   This comes admittedly on the back of a bad fortnight from the Hawks who in recent years have exhibited an enormous

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SUNSMART by George on the Outer

    If you don’t want to get sunburnt, you follow the Sunsmart rules.  Melbourne took the advice and with their season on the line, avoided getting burnt by the Gold Coast Suns, with a gripping 17 point win. It was a match that could have gone either way, with the sides within a kick of each other for all but the final minutes of the final quarter. Melbourne had stretched the lead earlier in the game to 18 points, but that quickly evaporated to a neck and neck race to the finish.  Finally,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NORTH OF THE BORDER by The Oracle

    The outcomes of Melbourne’s recent games against the Gold Coast Suns are a pretty good barometer of how the teams are faring. The Demons easily accounted for them twice in 2018, the last win being a 96-point cakewalk at the MCG in Round 20 when they scored a whopping 21.17.143 to 7.5.47. Ironically, Melbourne’s score of 9.3.57 at the first break that afternoon is leading its highest score for a full game to date this year by 3 points. In those days, they played fast, skillful football, moved th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 5

    PACK YOUR BAGS by George on The Outer

    The scene was captured by the TV camera’s before the match with a view of the Melbourne side’s bags packed next to the team bus to facilitate their flight up north to the AFL hub where they will play their next matches. However, on the basis of the efforts against Richmond, unless things change, and change rapidly, there will be some who will be told to pack their bags on a more permanent basis. Once again, the supporters got much the same story from this match against Richmond, as

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...