Jump to content

  • Podcast: 2021 Season Review  

  • Podcast: 2021 Season Review  

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - KYSAIAH KROPINYERI PICKETT


olisik
 Share


Recommended Posts


1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Holy [censored]!

Interesting thay Cal Twomey said on one of his program the Kossie Pickett is really firming for our top 10 selection.

After watching the NAB championship series again DD i've cooled a little on his worth in comparison to say a Henry or Weightman.  It's not what he does when he gets it.  Just the work rate (commitment?) to get to contests or present that worries me vs say a Henry or Taylor option.  If we had a pick 20 to 35 he is more tempting.

Henry is obviously Freo bound but ideal for us at 3 if he wasn't.  Seems to be the No.1 silk of this draft along with Taylor (a tad more raw imv but does show a few sublime tricks at times also).

I'm not convinced any small 'opportune' forward (Weightman/Pickett) or a ruckman are worth a top ten pick (Jackson) but then who else are we needing at 8?  Kemp would be very handy but he's out for a year.  Plenty of other reasonable options of course but many are inside mids.

One who really impressed me in the NAB series was Schoenberg as a balanced mid option.  Edwards as well but think he plays a bit more off HB and already flagged under father son i think.

So do we just stick with Young at 3?  His kicking is certainly top of this year's class but what else does he truly offer us?  Is that skill, along with some reasonable intercept marking/tackling and distribution, enough?  Personally i really think he would need to play as a balanced mid to get full value from him at 3 (hoping that he of course grows slowly / strongly into that role).

Then there's Ash who had a stellar NAB series alongside Jackson & Henry.  Ash was equally impressive as Young across the series in terms of damage + consistency off HB.  Gould not far off those HBs...also very impressive in straight lines and accurate kicking/finish and impressive intercept marking (reading the flight).

Stephens at 8?  Looks good but also big moments of lappsing out of games or not really impacting imv.  Or do we go for Kemp? After re-watching the final of that NAB series Kemp was certainly super impressive in helping Vic C get back into that match and won another on that final kick.  But that was mostly as a medium forward.  Barely saw him played through the middle.

The other player that had an amazing final quarter out of the middle in the final was Isaac Wareham.  He was the one on the end of the much talked about 45 kick from Young that helped put Vic C in front just before the last winning kick from WA a minute later.  Just before that he was also the one getting the inside 50 to Kemp for a shot he missed to put us in front on a tight angle.  I'm not saying you pick him based on that but he was certainly impressive in that short burst (eg; line breaking run, taking the game on & standing up under heat!).

All very confusing really.  I guess we just leave it to the experts and pray to lucifer!

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

After watching the NAB championship series again DD i've cooled a little on his worth in comparison to say a Henry or Weightman.  It's not what he does when he gets it.  Just the work rate (commitment?) to get to contests or present that worries me vs say a Henry or Taylor option.  If we had a pick 20 to 35 he is more tempting.

Henry is obviously Freo bound but ideal for us at 3 if he wasn't.  Seems to be the No.1 silk of this draft along with Taylor (a tad more raw imv but does show a few sublime tricks at times also).

I'm not convinced any small 'opportune' forward (Weightman/Pickett) or a ruckman are worth a top ten pick (Jackson) but then who else are we needing at 8?  Kemp would be very handy but he's out for a year.  Plenty of other reasonable options of course but many are inside mids.

One who really impressed me in the NAB series was Schoenberg as a balanced mid option.  Edwards as well but think he plays a bit more off HB and already flagged under father son i think.

So do we just stick with Young at 3?  His kicking is certainly top of this year's class but what else does he truly offer us?  Is that skill, along with some reasonable intercept marking/tackling and distribution, enough?  Personally i really think he would need to play as a balanced mid to get full value from him at 3 (hoping that he of course grows slowly / strongly into that role).

Then there's Ash who had a stellar NAB series alongside Jackson & Henry.  Ash was equally impressive as Young across the series in terms of damage + consistency off HB.  Gould not far off those HBs...also very impressive in straight lines and accurate kicking/finish and impressive intercept marking (reading the flight).

Stephens at 8?  Looks good but also big moments of lappsing out of games or not really impacting imv.  Or do we go for Kemp? After re-watching the final of that NAB series Kemp was certainly super impressive in helping Vic C get back into that match and won another on that final kick.  But that was mostly as a medium forward.  Barely saw him played through the middle.

The other player that had an amazing final quarter out of the middle in the final was Isaac Wareham.  He was the one on the end of the much talked about 45 kick from Young that helped put Vic C in front just before the last winning kick from WA a minute later.  Just before that he was also the one getting the inside 50 to Kemp for a shot he missed to put us in front on a tight angle.  I'm not saying you pick him based on that but he was certainly impressive in that short burst (eg; line breaking run, taking the game on & standing up under heat!).

All very confusing really.  I guess we just leave it to the experts and pray to lucifer!

Top commentary. ^^^

Pickett... I just can't get over his uncle, was such a weapon and a premiership player. What i like about this kid is he is fierce, and he has a left and right foot. If he plays like Cyril i can live with 18 touches a game. I feel like he is a player that brings others into the game and seems to have a team sense. The vision i have seen is he may not kick the goal, but he has the vision to deliver to someone in a better space to have a ping.

That said I want users of the footy and marking power. I felt like our 2018 side had plenty of goal kickers that just need better delivery. I meed to see more footage and appreciate the posts of others who are not rock throwing and invested the time to see the prospects.

Watching our dismal efforts at contested marking in 2019 was soul destroying as were the up and under kicking. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Dee tention said:

I loved watching Farmer at the Dees. 

Hopefully, I get to watch Pickett in the Red & Blue in the same vein.

Dees at there best when we have an indigenous forward.

What a stupid and silly statement. While we have had some hits with the likes of Davey and Farmer, we've also had some big misses like Weetra, Wonaeamirri, Lawrence, Bennell, Johnstone etc. Bedford is still an unknown so far.

Let's keep things in perspective first before we start making silly statements like you've just done.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Dee tention said:

I loved watching Farmer at the Dees. 

Hopefully, I get to watch Pickett in the Red & Blue in the same vein.

Dees at there best when we have an indigenous forward.

You are correct.  Nothing better than watching Farmer and Jurrah in full flight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/14/2019 at 3:51 AM, DaisyDeeciple said:

Top commentary. ^^^

Pickett... I just can't get over his uncle, was such a weapon and a premiership player. What i like about this kid is he is fierce, and he has a left and right foot. If he plays like Cyril i can live with 18 touches a game. I feel like he is a player that brings others into the game and seems to have a team sense. The vision i have seen is he may not kick the goal, but he has the vision to deliver to someone in a better space to have a ping.

That said I want users of the footy and marking power. I felt like our 2018 side had plenty of goal kickers that just need better delivery. I meed to see more footage and appreciate the posts of others who are not rock throwing and invested the time to see the prospects.

Watching our dismal efforts at contested marking in 2019 was soul destroying as were the up and under kicking. 

We certainly need more marking power down the line and up forward DD.

Hopefully Tomo will bring a little of that and a fit May/Lever as well.

I'm still majorly concerned about the forward set up in this regard and in general.  We lack serious aerial contested beasts with a bit of height that can take a number of big grabs under heat, locking the ball i50 for longer and taking a few more set shots that will do the same (even if they miss).  Crucial as it allows mids and defenders to recover and set up behind play instead of the many sling shot rebounds (under little or no pressure) we saw this season.

A decent small pressure forward or two would also obviously help here.  Would be a little surprised if we aren't seriously considering Weightman if we split pick 8.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We sure as hell didn't give up a 2020 first rounder and pick 26 to draft a highly speculative, albeit exciting prospect with a couple of nice highlights but 0 runs on the board at any decent level of footy.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/15/2019 at 11:11 AM, Accepting Mediocrity said:

We sure as hell didn't give up a 2020 first rounder and pick 26 to draft a highly speculative, albeit exciting prospect with a couple of nice highlights but 0 runs on the board at any decent level of footy.

The voice of reason or perhaps nervous caution given our desperation for a small forward. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Demon Head said:

Adding to the hype is Jay Clark who is also tipping we’ll take Kossie with pick 10.

Jay-Z says Melbourne are looking at selecting a draft bolter with Pick 10.

Not so sure about taking a 170cm small at 10. 

I heard this while driving and almost drove off the road. He said it was a lock. Would be happy to get him, but not with pick 10 given the calibre of players likely to be available.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love watching Pickett play and would love to get him, but pick 10 is WAAAYYY to high for him.

Even if we love the kid, we have to objectively rank the kids and select accordingly. My hope now is that we split pick 10 on the night and use an appropriate pick to get him whilst getting something else in. The market for a player like McAsey may allow that to eventuate, but that's impacted by Adelaide's selection.  If they pass, Geelong may pounce to get ahead of Hawthorn. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, ChaserJ said:

I love watching Pickett play and would love to get him, but pick 10 is WAAAYYY to high for him.

Even if we love the kid, we have to objectively rank the kids and select accordingly. My hope now is that we split pick 10 on the night and use an appropriate pick to get him whilst getting something else in. The market for a player like McAsey may allow that to eventuate, but that's impacted by Adelaide's selection.  If they pass, Geelong may pounce to get ahead of Hawthorn. 

 

If Kemp is gone by 10 and it leaves the Ben Newton clone in Stephens, I'd split with Geelong for their two late first rounders and try for Gould and Pickett or another small forward we rate highly.

  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, ChaserJ said:

I love watching Pickett play and would love to get him, but pick 10 is WAAAYYY to high for him.

Even if we love the kid, we have to objectively rank the kids and select accordingly. My hope now is that we split pick 10 on the night and use an appropriate pick to get him whilst getting something else in. The market for a player like McAsey may allow that to eventuate, but that's impacted by Adelaide's selection.  If they pass, Geelong may pounce to get ahead of Hawthorn. 

 

I agree, but we don't know what other sides are planning. If we think he's our guy, but think the Dogs will take him at 13, you've just gotta bite the bullet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, A F said:

If Kemp is gone by 10 and it leaves the Ben Newton clone in Stephens, I'd split with Geelong for their two late first rounders and try for Gould and Pickett or another small forward we rate highly.

What's your view on Dylan Stephens AF? I liked his highlights and what I've read but admit I have no clue. 

I do realise this is the Pickett thread and after seeing his highlights I'd be excited if we picked him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Demonland changed the title to Welcome to Demonland - Kysaiah Pickett
  • Whispering_Jack changed the title to WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - KYSAIAH KROPINYERI PICKETT
  • Whispering_Jack pinned this topic
  • Demonland locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2021 by Whispering Jack

    MUCH ADO ABOUT NOT MUCH The 2021 Free Agency and Trade Periods were billed by Fox Footy as promising a “period like no other and that certainly proved correct but not for the reasons that Network spin suggested when promoting its daily program of news from the trade desk. The truth is that the football public has endured an uneventful and forgettable fortnight unless you perhaps, happen to be a Carlton or a Hawthorn fan. The Blues managed to pick up the biggest name of the trade peri

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE APPRENTICE by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne Next Generation Academy prospect Mac Andrew has had a meteoric rise in the eyes of many track watchers who follow the fortunes of football talent at the elite level. So much so that under the AFL's new rules which prohibit clubs from matching bids on their NGA players within the first 20 selections, there’s a widely held perception that Andrew is falling out of the club’s grasp.   Despite being buoyed by the Demons’ drought-breaking premiership, some fans are showing their a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 3

    OUR GRAND OLD FLAG by George On The Outer

    When an AFL Grand Final approaches, supporters look for omens to help them foresee how their team will fare in the contest.   Melbourne supporters were, until just before Saturday’s opening bounce, the best in the business at looking for positives to give them hope and direction - a natural feeling after 57 years in the wilderness. So when the Bulldogs’ streamers kept slipping from the handle of the Premiership Cup as Glen Jackovich delivered it to Optus Stadium, they wondered whether it

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE ICING ON THE QUAKE by Whispering Jack

    It’s not Christmas yet but if the Melbourne wins its last game of the 2021 season, then many of its fans will be celebrating early. There already are some parts of our town where the pending festivity is preordained. Houses are decked out with red and blue banners and streamers, some of which appeared as early as last Saturday week, on the morning after the Demons’ magnificent 83-point crushing of Geelong in their preliminary final at Optus Stadium. While it’s great to see the numbers of lo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...