Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:      

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - KYSAIAH KROPINYERI PICKETT


olisik
 Share


Recommended Posts

I will put what little money I have, and although I know the recruiters are excited by the prospect of Pickett, there is no chance we are taking him at 10.

I have been told Jackson’s 3, they believe Stephens at 10 (or someone who slides) and possibly Pickett at 28.

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Yokozuna said:

I will put what little money I have, and although I know the recruiters are excited by the prospect of Pickett, there is no chance we are taking him at 10.

I have been told Jackson’s 3, they believe Stephens at 10 (or someone who slides) and possibly Pickett at 28.

“Told” by who? The Dogs have been keeping an eye on him for some time too. I wonder if they might take him at 13?

Edited by Dees247
Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 minutes ago, Dees247 said:

“Told” by who?

Told by a source who I trust. Was told about Jackson before it came out in the press.

The club, from what I can understand, are leaning to Jackson, but are not 100%.

They are also undecided on who they would prefer from that next bunch of players, and seems as though they are happy to gain any number of them, thus the pick swaps, but they seem to think that stephens will be the one available then for whatever reason.

They do want a small forward and rate both weightman and Pickett highly, but I can’t see them taking Pickett at 10, possibly Weightman.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/8/2019 at 6:57 PM, Axis of Bob said:

Good stuff, RN. A classy response.

I’m happy that you’re excited about the draft and I (and many others) genuinely appreciate the information you bring into these threads. The absence of uncertainty is just a bit of a bugbear of mine (and obviously old55 too). 

I hope that you continue posting frequently in the lead up to, and after, the draft, as it’s clear that you are obviously doing a lot of research on the kids and that makes Demonland a better forum. ?

We research, we spread opinions, we listen and observe those employed to comment. At the end of the day, we must concentrate - as a Club - on the good fortunes that we have within the draft processes and analyse the individuals for team performance, team development and at the individual levels, better develop those recruits that we obtain. If we'd recruited, for example, a Wayne Carey, I would still wish that he had continuous development before him in the Dees camp, almost from an individual coach and mentor. Transpose that concept to our current talented ones - the team development and individual excellence has been overlooked, it appears, once a threshold level of competence has been achieved. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Yokozuna said:

Told by a source who I trust. Was told about Jackson before it came out in the press.

The club, from what I can understand, are leaning to Jackson, but are not 100%.

They are also undecided on who they would prefer from that next bunch of players, and seems as though they are happy to gain any number of them, thus the pick swaps, but they seem to think that stephens will be the one available then for whatever reason.

They do want a small forward and rate both weightman and Pickett highly, but I can’t see them taking Pickett at 10, possibly Weightman.

Are you suggesting we may be leaning a bit towards Green? I hope you are right about Stephens. I have always thought we were going to take Weightman with our second pick, even when we had 8. Jackson/Green, Stephens & Pickett would be the dream result, but I don’t think Pickett will get through to 28.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ProDee said:

I'm conflicted. 

Pickett is exactly what we need, but a needs based top 10 pick ?

I'll rationalise it as a broader list management decision that helps with the final touches.

I'm hoping Prodee  we hold the pick till draft night, to see who slides, there's always one. I'm certainly not in favour of Pickett at 10.  I see picks possibly going

1. Rowell Suns

2. Anderson Suns

3. Jackson Dees

4. Young/Ash GWS

5. Green GWS matching Sydney's bid

6. Flanders Swans

7. Mcasey/Ash/Young Crows

8. Robertson Freo

9. Stephens/Ash/Young Freo

10. Henry Freo matchin Blues bid

11. Kemp/Serong Blues

12. Who do we take from the possible slider if it's Serong Ash or Young there's no question we take them. Stephens whilst outside fills another need as a Gaff type. Kemp I like and I'd take him at this pick but if we're foucussed on others I think the Cats will look at jumping ahead of the Hawks and be open to a live trade, which could be worth looking at.

I've seen a fair bit of Elijah Taylor and really rate him, with plenty if upside. I think he, Jeremy Sharp or Trent Rivers could be available at 28. With Sharp the least likely 

I've seen a fair bit of them all and whilst they are all WA boys, it's where I live so see these boys the most and think they can fill the half back flank or small forward we need and I'd be inclined to target whichever one (position) we don't take at pick 10

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Suggestions in the press that we should not pick up Jackson or Pickett at 3 and 10 because rucks and small forwards get picked up later than those picks is the 'Gamblers fallacy' at work. Ie, 4 spins show 4 consecutive reds. You base your call on the next spin on those past spins ie you think red is on a big run and will continue or its time that black turned up. The reality is that every spin is completely independent of past spins. Each draft pick is independent from other picks, each player is different and each assessment by recruiters will be different. So Taylors call will be based on player assessment alone with a tiny pinch of needs maybe thrown in especially at 10. Whether rucks or small forwards at high picks have dudded in the past will not be a consideration. An example is Grundy slipping. High end talent but clubs were scared/worried about  wasting a high pick on a ruck in case it turned up a dud. Whereas each player should be assessed independently. Luckily our recruiting staff are well aware of this. They were keen on Oliver when he was not talked about as an early pick.

If Taylor and recruiting staff after expert deliberation  consider those 2 players are the best available at those picks then so be it. Pickett has loads of speed, goal sense, reads the fall of the ball well around goals and has great forward defensive pressure. He is likely eventually to play as a mid or be a mid option. He can worry opposition in the air as well. The big thing Pickett has got going for him is that he has those close to goal skills that no one at the club has.  We get the ball inside 50 and it comes straight back. Players like Pickett have the ability to intercept those ground balls inside 50 and create headaches for the opposition. 

Jackson can play forward as well as ruck and maybe high half forward. He may even be able to pinch hit later as a mid. As a ruck he may be almost an extra mid. He offers some insurance against ruck/forward injuries that may occur. Best of all he has bucket loads of talent.

I am not qualified to make a call but if Taylor calls their names at 3 and 10 I will understand the reasons behind it. They have done all the groundwork.

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we take Pickett at 10. I would be inclined to take another small/pressure forward at 28 as well! 
 

Small forwards have been non existent in a Dees team for quite some time. Two in our F50 is a game breaker and I think gives us a significant edge.

As Goody said! We have no problem getting it in there...

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, manny100 said:

Suggestions in the press that we should not pick up Jackson or Pickett at 3 and 10 because rucks and small forwards get picked up later than those picks is the 'Gamblers fallacy' at work. Ie, 4 spins show 4 consecutive reds. You base your call on the next spin on those past spins ie you think red is on a big run and will continue or its time that black turned up. The reality is that every spin is completely independent of past spins. Each draft pick is independent from other picks, each player is different and each assessment by recruiters will be different. So Taylors call will be based on player assessment alone with a tiny pinch of needs maybe thrown in especially at 10. Whether rucks or small forwards at high picks have dudded in the past will not be a consideration. An example is Grundy slipping. High end talent but clubs were scared/worried about  wasting a high pick on a ruck in case it turned up a dud. Whereas each player should be assessed independently. Luckily our recruiting staff are well aware of this. They were keen on Oliver when he was not talked about as an early pick.

If Taylor and recruiting staff after expert deliberation  consider those 2 players are the best available at those picks then so be it. Pickett has loads of speed, goal sense, reads the fall of the ball well around goals and has great forward defensive pressure. He is likely eventually to play as a mid or be a mid option. He can worry opposition in the air as well. The big thing Pickett has got going for him is that he has those close to goal skills that no one at the club has.  We get the ball inside 50 and it comes straight back. Players like Pickett have the ability to intercept those ground balls inside 50 and create headaches for the opposition. 

Jackson can play forward as well as ruck and maybe high half forward. He may even be able to pinch hit later as a mid. As a ruck he may be almost an extra mid. He offers some insurance against ruck/forward injuries that may occur. Best of all he has bucket loads of talent.

I am not qualified to make a call but if Taylor calls their names at 3 and 10 I will understand the reasons behind it. They have done all the groundwork.

 

Great post & well set out. 

I also have no expertise nor solid info outside of d/land so we can only trust Taylor and Co to make the  right call.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Dee tention said:

If we take Pickett at 10. I would be inclined to take another small/pressure forward at 28 as well! 
 

Small forwards have been non existent in a Dees team for quite some time. Two in our F50 is a game breaker and I think gives us a significant edge.

As Goody said! We have no problem getting it in there...

Weightman and Pickett  , imagine that.  The list would go from  boring to exciting in one night.  And with Bennell  to come too, if all goes well.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, manny100 said:

Suggestions in the press that we should not pick up Jackson or Pickett at 3 and 10 because rucks and small forwards get picked up later than those picks is the 'Gamblers fallacy' at work. Ie, 4 spins show 4 consecutive reds. You base your call on the next spin on those past spins ie you think red is on a big run and will continue or its time that black turned up. The reality is that every spin is completely independent of past spins. Each draft pick is independent from other picks, each player is different and each assessment by recruiters will be different. So Taylors call will be based on player assessment alone with a tiny pinch of needs maybe thrown in especially at 10. Whether rucks or small forwards at high picks have dudded in the past will not be a consideration. An example is Grundy slipping. High end talent but clubs were scared/worried about  wasting a high pick on a ruck in case it turned up a dud. Whereas each player should be assessed independently. Luckily our recruiting staff are well aware of this. They were keen on Oliver when he was not talked about as an early pick.

If Taylor and recruiting staff after expert deliberation  consider those 2 players are the best available at those picks then so be it. Pickett has loads of speed, goal sense, reads the fall of the ball well around goals and has great forward defensive pressure. He is likely eventually to play as a mid or be a mid option. He can worry opposition in the air as well. The big thing Pickett has got going for him is that he has those close to goal skills that no one at the club has.  We get the ball inside 50 and it comes straight back. Players like Pickett have the ability to intercept those ground balls inside 50 and create headaches for the opposition. 

Jackson can play forward as well as ruck and maybe high half forward. He may even be able to pinch hit later as a mid. As a ruck he may be almost an extra mid. He offers some insurance against ruck/forward injuries that may occur. Best of all he has bucket loads of talent.

I am not qualified to make a call but if Taylor calls their names at 3 and 10 I will understand the reasons behind it. They have done all the groundwork.

 

Jackson himself states he is a ruckman that is looking at becoming a forward. So not really a KPF. Pickett is rather short and light weight wise, not really a mid type player unless he grows  a fair bit. I think 3 and 10 are better used elsewhere. Just my opinion.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After further thought...

Melbourne don't consider themselves a 17th ranked team, in fact, they think they can win the flag in 2020 (courtesy of a recent lunch Goodwin attended with some supporters).

So clearly, rightly or wrongly, they see the list differently to most footy pundits.

With this framework in mind, if they see a player like Pickett as the missing ingredient in the forward half with his flair and pressure skills they have a dilemma.  They'd recognise that he's probably not worthy of a pick 10 (or 11-12) selection, but they also know through the jungle drums he won't be available at their next selection (28).

Do they take Stephens, Young/Ash or Serong, whose resumes read better ?  Or do they take the player who's more important to the overall makeup of the team, i.e. Pickett ?  They've got guys like Salem, Hibberd, Hore, and now Harmes earmarked for defence, so while Young and Ash would be great there's not as much of a need, and with the addition of Langdon and Tomlinson (hopefully vandenBerg) they can cope without Stephens.

They'd love them all, but there's just one pick.  You can't use a pick you don't have, so I get why you'd use the only pick you do have. 

And to add... I think most clubs would have taken note as to how much positive impact Flyin Ryan and Willie Rioli had on West Coast's last couple of years. 

Edited by ProDee
  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, ProDee said:

 

And to add... I think most clubs would have taken note as to how much positive impact Flyin Ryan and Willie Rioli had on West Coast's last couple of years. 

I like the logic in all of that but....

We also haven’t had a first round pick for 4 years and pick 10 comes from next years pick when the view of the list could be significantly difference. Vince, Lewis gone, Jones all but, Hibbo and Nev possibly soon. That’s a lot of steady quality going/gone. 

Whilst Ryan and Rioli were involved it was the bland and unspectacular top 10 pick Dom Sheed who had 30 touches and kicked the match winner. I’m inclined to be conservative and take the player who’s more cake than icing. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Demonland changed the title to Welcome to Demonland - Kysaiah Pickett
  • Whispering_Jack changed the title to WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - KYSAIAH KROPINYERI PICKETT
  • Whispering_Jack pinned this topic
  • Demonland locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY by Whispering Jack

    When the combatants that are due to face off on Monday night at Optus Stadium last met, it was 11 days after the World Health Organization had declared the Covid19 outbreak a global pandemic. In Australia, the first cases had just come to light, including visiting US actors Tom Hanks and wife Rita Wilson, the toilet paper panic was in full flight and the world was starting to reel in anticipation of impending disaster. Half an hour before this last game of the opening round was due to comme

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...