Round 18 Non MFC Games

Demonland

Just imagine how much more exciting that final minute would have been if Brisbane weren't gifted that goal with 1:10 left on the clock. Godawful free kick, one of the worst you'll see all year.

Not that I'm unhappy Brisbane won, but it would have been so much sweeter without the blatant umpire interference.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GCDee said:

I thought Maxys free against was the worst free kick of the year...

But that one against Thompson really takes the cake. Yet another green maggot ruining a great game of footy by being completely incapeable of doing their job. 

Go get [censored] AFL you're a joke of a league

The umpiring is a total mess. That second last free against Thompson just sums it up. I nudge the biggest bloke in the side, not the back, take the mark and get pinged, really for in the back, umpires please note about 10 other examples of a similar nudge in the same match that were deemed legal, but no that’s quibbling. 

• Like 3

Was it paid as a block or in the back against Thompson? Either way I thought it was soft, pity that will take centre stage as the contest was very enjoyable. Refreshing to listen to Jason Bennett call the game, no theatrics and definitely not an attention seeker when calling the action.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SaberFang said:

Just imagine how much more exciting that final minute would have been if Brisbane weren't gifted that goal with 1:10 left on the clock. Godawful free kick, one of the worst you'll see all year.

Not that I'm unhappy Brisbane won, but it would have been so much sweeter without the blatant umpire interference.

It was exactly what’s killing AFL. SHOCKING DECISION 

• Like 3

So Ben Brown got  a free courtesy of the Max Gawn "ruck craft" rule. Do we know if Melbourne actually sought clarification if that is allowed or not. I hope someone checked because commentators are saying you should be able to do that. 

Brisbane should have won anyway. They had plenty of more scoring shots and yes that free kick may hav been a bit soft to McInerney but I figured his free and Brown's free cancelled each other out, plus Brisbane got one after that anyway. 

My only disappointment was Brad Scott wasn't in the box so we could see his frustrations. 

But that kick by Daniel Rich 55m out out was a beauty. 

Just now, dees189227 said:

Brisbane should have won anyway. They had plenty of more scoring shots and yes that free kick may hav been a bit soft to McInerney but I figured his free and Brown's free cancelled each other out, plus Brisbane got one after that anyway.  

Agreed. 15 behinds to 3 says to me that Brisbane basically dominated the scoring, just weren't accurate. The right team won on the day.

And I've read about this BS Ben Brown free kick which is completely unsurprising, considering his habit of playing for free kicks. So as you said, they essentially cancel each other out.

13 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Really. Two soft frees to Lions kills the game. Very soft. Unbelievable in such a contest. 

It would rip out Norfs heart.  If that to the Dees I’d be uncontrollable 

the 2nd one was definitely there. bit unlucky for the north guy but that was the way it played out. not much he could do about it but that's the breaks. definitely in the back even if accidental

A great game, and maggot 3 who paid the last horrific free, is a former player!!

the AFL are just beyond belief - amateurs who think they “know best”. The maggots simply embody the complete amateur culture created by Gil, Hocking and the brown shoe boys who are ruining our game. I certainly won’t be around in 50 years, but I wonder what game, if any will be known as AFL.

Let's not forget Hodge's block on a player that the umpire paid Norf's way. Then he suddenly changed his mind ...resulting in loose men down the ground and a goal.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

I think the story is Brisbane are sitting 2nd on the ladder. Fagan has done a great job with this team. 

Gee how about the freo swans game. currently scores level at the 23 minute mark. 

They just showed the last 3 minutes on Fox to review the umpiring and it was exemplary, the umps let it flow and Freo got up by a point. In total contrast to the Brisbane effort. Yes there were a number of technical frees that could have been paid but none where a player was definitely infringed to put them out of a contest so it was play on. That is how umpiring should be executed, especially in the last 15 minutes of a tight contest. 

1 hour ago, dees189227 said:

I think the story is Brisbane are sitting 2nd on the ladder. Fagan has done a great job with this team. 

Gee how about the freo swans game. currently scores level at the 23 minute mark. 

Was at the Freo vs Swans game, really poor standard of football by both sides. Game played between the arcs, Zac Jones probably BOG but poor skills, How Sydney didn't get a point at least in the last minute is beyond me.

Those necking themselves over us being 17th as it currently sits, these two sides are worse than us, not that there is much consolation in that

Edited by Pennant St Dee
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Was at the Freo vs Swans game, really poor standard of football by both sides. Game played between the arcs, Zac Jones probably BOG but poor skills, How Sydney didn't get a point at least in the last minute is beyond me.

Those necking themselves over us being 17th as it currently sits, these two sides are worse than us, not that there is much consolation in that

Nice to know we beat them both

8 hours ago, Return to Glory said:

Let's not forget Hodge's block on a player that the umpire paid Norf's way. Then he suddenly changed his mind ...resulting in loose men down the ground and a goal.

I thought that was hilarious... Clearly the ump forgot who Gil wanted to win for a split second and actually was umpiring that contest on its merit. 

What umpire changes their mind like that during a decision... And just says oh sorry. 

I really don't think I'll be watching the AFL within the next year or two with what Gil and Hocking are doing to the game. 

And this is coming from a guy who was so AFL obsessed I got my first job so I could pay for Foxtel out of my own money because my parents wouldn't pay for it so I could watch each and every game week on week out, all whilst my team were lucky to win 3 games a year. 

I used to be so passionate about this game, now it just looks and feels corrupt, I feel sorry for the kids who have to grow up watching this mess. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

What a thread.

You're absolutely right T_U, but you can add this beauty:

"Clearly the ump forgot who Gil wanted to win for a split second and actually was umpiring that contest on its merit". 

I wonder how many posters on here are:

- Flat Earther's?

- Don't believe that NASA landed on the moon?

- Wear tinfoil under their caps or hats so that the Government can't control their minds with microwave signals?

There is  an adage that if there is a choice between conspiracy and c0ck up you should go for the c0ck up every time.

• Like 1

The AFL has come out and stated the Thompson free kick was wrong. Fair enough to admit error but let’s see some action and send said umpire to the magoos.

"The AFL Umpiring Department advises the free kick awarded to Brisbane Lions' Oscar McInerney against North Melbourne's Scott Thompson in the fourth quarter of last night's match at the Gabba was incorrect," the AFL said.

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, xarronn said:

...There is  an adage that if there is a choice between conspiracy and c0ck up you should go for the c0ck up every time.

But are the people who peddle that adage conspiractors trying to pull the wool over our eyes, or have they stuffed up?

• Like 1

Geelong has been infected by our goal kicking yips. Missed 3 in a row from inside 30m almost dead in front! Then misses a fourth on the run from 30.