POSTGAME: Rd 14 vs Fremantle

Demonland

TMAc deserves credit for winning us that match, but boy did he have some stinking moments out there today. His best and worst are so far apart and today both were on full display. Dr Jeykell and Mr Hyde sorta stuff. He kills me at times.

He persisted today and to his credit, came good when it mattered. 

2 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

12 point turnaround 

Not what a captain should do. 

Do it after the goal is scored at least!!

I can understand that Jones bump off play resulted in the free being reversed but missed why we were penalised 50m as well. 

46 minutes ago, RedButMostlyBlue said:

Several of our passages towards goals were fantastic. Superb linkage, with our boys actually lowering eyes to find targets. What's more, the execution was much better. A little scrambly at times, where it looked like the last link could have gone anywhere, but that will improve over time with confidence.

Much smarter, more direct, intentional football.

Great stuff.

Frosty is loved. He leaves opposition forwards mentally (censored). McQueen summed it up: '...excitement machine...' if you are a Demon supporter. 

• Like 1

Just now, chookrat said:

I can understand that Jones bump off play resulted in the free being reversed but missed why we were penalised 50m as well. 

Jones might have left a character reference for the umpire's eternal enlightenment?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sigil said:

The idea that it was Freo's injuries wot won it strikes me as odd.

If it wasn't for our terrible disposal out of the defensive fifty that gave them goals on a platter we would have been ahead all day.

well...we do give every team that advantage...goals on a platter

we only got on top once their injury toll impacted.

Our conversion was actually better today.Kudos...wherever/whomever.  imagine if it had been a normal day ??

Freo could hardly effectively rotate in the last qtr. Anyone who doesnt get the significance of that dilemma ( for freo ) doesnt quite get footy

We were lucky...Good for us

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

well...we do give every team that advantage...goals on a platter

we only got on top once their injury toll impacted.

Our conversion was actually better today.Kudos...wherever/whomever.  imagine if it had been a normal day ??

Freo could hardly effectively rotate in the last qtr. Anyone who doesnt get the significance of that dilemma ( for freo ) doesnt quite get footy

We were lucky...Good for us

I don't see the point of highlighting another teams bad luck with injuries when we've had the same bad luck all year.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Frosty is loved. He leaves opposition forwards mentally (censored). McQueen summed it up: '...excitement machine...' if you are a Demon supporter. 

Absolutely. I've always loved Frosty. Yeah, sometimes his execution leaves a little (and occasionally a lot) to be desired, but he does some great things, many which go unnoticed. He runs his guts out, and there's hardly a better sight than the Frosty charging out of the half back, leaving opposition in his wake.

Total excitement machine, I think there's always a place for him in the team, even with Nev, May, Lever, Hibbo and even Hore in the mix. For what it's worth, I think Salem works better pushing up anyway, freeing up an extra back possy.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, loges said:

I don't see the point of highlighting another teams bad luck with injuries when we've had the same bad luck all year.

because....what is,  IS 

irrespective of who has it when...it has an effect in a game.

imho we only won because they couldnt beat us. We only got on top when they lacked numbers. Its not a glowing indictment of anything we're really clever at

i liked jones behind the ball

for me that's the role for him for the remainder of the year

puts severe doubt in lewis getting a game again; in some respects it'd be 'nice' for him to come in this week to play a defensive forward role on hodge...but i can't see him playing unless he has a blinder in the vfl

Edited by whatwhatsaywhat
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

because....what is,  IS 

imho we only won because they couldnt beat us. We only got on top when they lacked numbers. Its not a glowing indictment of anything we're really clever at

well bub, we did win 3 qtrs and not all those when they had all their injuries

take out some umpire howlers and we win by more

• Like 5

Really good to see us lower our eyes today - especially going inside forward 50. I am at the point now where I wouldn't even care if we had lost - so long as we are making an effort to address our short comings. I saw that effort today. Well done Simon Goodwin for shaking things up and trying something different. It is the only way we will improve. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

because....what is,  IS 

I'm hoping with a closer to full strength team, and a return to form of some key players we may show we can be a lot more clever than you think we are for the rest of the year.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, stranga said:

Wouldn't have won in Freo weren't two players down. 

Go and play your hypotheticals elsewhere

If you are a Freeo supporter you will get a a sympathetic hearing in that quarter.

If you really are a Demons supporter perhaps you could enjoy a great victory and consider what might have happened to the Freeo fartbags if Melbourne had its injured players available like Lever,  Vanders, Hibbard and Melksham.

We would have beaten them in Freeo or any where else your care to nominate

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

well bub, we did win 3 qtrs and not all those when they had all their injuries

take out some umpire howlers and we win by more

take out the howlers ?? which century will that happen

4.2 v 4.1  well have to give that to you eh

only got in front once opposition vanished off the bench. You really going to argue otherwise ?

17 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I see the usual negative Nazi's have gone missing now that we had a win..

So close to naming them but I'll leave that be for now.

Judge, jury and hangman; boy, you must really be switched on! 

6 minutes ago, loges said:

I'm hoping with a closer to full strength team, and a return to form of some key players we may show we can be a lot more clever than you think we are for the rest of the year.

lets hope

Goodwin and the team weren't too happy with the Jones bump on Walters.

Goodwin spoke to Jones at the last break and said "about 20 of his teammates" did as well...

"He knows that's not how we play and the importance of those things in a game," the coach said.   "He made a mistake but what I did love about Nathan was his ability to respond in the last quarter…

"It doesn't matter who you are in your team. You need guys who keep each other accountable – and whether you're the skipper or you're a younger player of the footy club, the expectations are the same."

Good to see the team also holding Jones accountable.  It was a tough guy effort by Jones but could have cost us the game.  Deserved to be called out on it.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 5