Jump to content

JV7

Looking Forward 2020 & Beyond

Recommended Posts

On 5/20/2019 at 11:20 AM, Engorged Onion said:

I reckon you're pulling the trigger early @Deehumanizing on May. However I am sure you've made your mind up and the bloke has only played 1 game.  I personally think he will compliment the back 6 really well due to his skills sets... and I think with the pace of the game - Goodwin and the FD are wanting the zone, rather than the man on man - but OMAC ((as @binman) has stoutly defended) and May will be more of the one on one player that OMAC - anchor's if you will - whilst the others get to rebound.

Good post. We won on that trade. May will be fine and I really feel for Hogan now stuck under Ross Lyon at Freo. OMac will improve  if given the chance with Lever alongside as he showed in 2018 early on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Demon17 said:

Good post. We won on that trade. May will be fine and I really feel for Hogan now stuck under Ross Lyon at Freo. OMac will improve  if given the chance with Lever alongside as he showed in 2018 early on.

No idea how you can at this point claim " we won on that trade" .

we effectively  got two players for Hogan.

One had a bad history with concussion and is now out with that problem and marked as "indefinite" .

The other has played half a game, has shown on more than one occasion he is less than 100% committed and is still out injured with 2-3 weeks still to go at this point.

May might play well in 2020 but right now to call it a win is over the top.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One advantage we have in preparation for next year is that we can send players in for surgery early.  So a lot more of our players will cherry ripe for the start of the season.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Demon17 said:

. We won on that trade. May will be fine and I really feel for Hogan now stuck under Ross Lyon at Freo. OMac will improve  if given the chance with Lever alongside as he showed in 2018 early on.

Demon17 Do you write for a Comedy Team?

Surely you jest with the above quote. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's be honest there has been nothing good about this season.

Every player has gone backwards.... just to different degrees.

Sure you can point to a few little glimmers (Hore) but it is probably our most disappointing season for many a year and like most I have seen many of those.

Not sure I really buy the off season surgery line but given the injury level it has become irrelevant.

With hindsight while the depth last year was not crash hot we probably cleared too much out at once. Mind you I would have done the same.

Looking forward to some improvement in the basic form over the next ten odd weeks otherwise the feeling going into 2020 won't be crash hot.

I went to watch Hawthorn v Richmond last weekend. The skill levels shown by the Hawks in that first quarter were sublime. Pity they didn't convert. On the other hand we fumble our way forward and then despair when the fast running teams kill us on the rebound.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brad Scott could be let go as Kangaroos coach at seasons end or even sooner, what are everyone’s thoughts on getting in his ear about the defensive assistant coach for 2020?

 

cons- strong personality that may be hard for Goodwin to rein in

Pros- was a phenomenal backmen in his day, could he be our Leppa that got sacked at the Lions, went back to Richmond before their premiership and improved their defence out of sight?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, BrisbaneDemon said:

Brad Scott could be let go as Kangaroos coach at seasons end or even sooner, what are everyone’s thoughts on getting in his ear about the defensive assistant coach for 2020?

cons- strong personality that may be hard for Goodwin to rein in

Pros- was a phenomenal backmen in his day, could he be our Leppa that got sacked at the Lions, went back to Richmond before their premiership and improved their defence out of sight?

No.

He has never struck me as being very smart.  More brawn than brains. 

His habitually whinging is grating and, wears a dour look far too often for my liking.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

No.

He has never struck me as being very smart.  More brawn than brains. 

His habitually whinging is grating and, wears a dour look far too often for my liking.

Agree to disagree mate, you don’t coach at the highest level for 9 1/2 years if you aren’t very smart.  He knew he always had to keep North some what competitive due to their small supporter base.  

 

How is I wasn love some ruthless backmen in our team.

 

was just a thought... 👍🏻

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Hopefully there isnt a 2020.

This club is a total waste of time and energy for everyone involved.    Better off folding.

Edited by Petraccattack
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's obvious this season is done, but I'm not wrist slashing as it's easy to see there are a number of reasons for our poor performances:

- 15 off-season surgeries resulting in a large portion of our side coming in underdone.

- An extensive injury list with 8 or 9 of our best 22 out last week and v the Eagles the week before.

- Loss of confidence as a result of our poor start to the season.

- Lack of outside run that has been severely exposed by the new 6-6-6 rules.

I think our list is still very healthy heading into the next 5 years and this is merely a down season, which can be common (think the Cats in 2006 after making a prelim the year before and Hawks in 2009 after winning the flag).

I've run my ladder predictor for the remainder of this year and predict we will likely finish in 12th of 13th with 8 or 9 wins. This will give us pick 6 or 7 in the draft and it is imperative we get this right and ideally bring in a gun forward in the mold of De Goey or Stephenson.

The next issue is the management of our current list. IMO the following players will be gone at years end:

Lewis, Stretch, Garlett, J Wagner, Maynard & C Wagner.

With the addition of Dunkley tonight lets assume he gets given a new contract, that leaves 5 list positions to fill.

IMO our most pressing needs are: electric forwards, quick outside mids, back up ruck.

With that in mind, I'd like to see us go after the most electric forward with our first pick, more quick outside runners with later picks and a mature ruckman as depth. We should also be looking at potential free agents to add to our list such as Coniglio, Brandon Ellis, Alex Sexton or Stephen Hill (assuming he can get himself fit).

A full pre-season into our team and a potential best 22 for Round 1 2020:

B:         Jetta               May             Hore

HB:      Hibberd          Lever           B Ellis

C :        Salem          Oliver             Baker

HF:      (1st pick)        Preuss        Melksham

F:         VanDenberg   McDonald   Hannan

R:        Gawn               Brayshaw      Viney

Int:      Frost        Hunt       Petracca     Quick small forward (anyone but Spargo and Neal-Bullen)

Depth: Dunkley, Spargo, Neal-Bullen, Weideman, Jones, Kolodjashnij, Petty, Fritsch, J Smith

*Players in bold weren't playing last week and are best 22 when fit.

Edited by Collar-Jazz-Knee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Collar-Jazz-Knee said:

A full pre-season into our team and a potential best 22 for Round 1 2020:

B:         Jetta               May             Hore

HB:      Hibberd          Lever           B Ellis

C :        Salem          Oliver             Baker

HF:      (1st pick)        Preuss        Melksham

F:         VanDenberg   McDonald   Hannan

R:        Gawn               Brayshaw      Viney

Int:      Frost        Hunt       Petracca     Quick small forward (anyone but Spargo and Neal-Bullen)

Depth: Dunkley, Spargo, Neal-Bullen, Weideman, Jones, Kolodjashnij, Petty, Fritsch, J Smith

*Players in bold weren't playing last week and are best 22 when fit.

 

B:         Jetta               May             Hore

HB:      Hibberd         Lever           B Ellis

C :        Salem          Coniglio        Baker

HF:       Melksham     TMc            Hannan

F:          VanDenberg  Weideman  Hunt 

R:          Gawn             Oliver           Brayshaw   

 

Int:     Viney     Frost      Petracca     Quick small forward (anyone but Spargo and Neal-Bullen)

Depth: Dunkley, Spargo, Neal-Bullen, Jones, Kolodjashnij, Petty, Fritsch, J Smith

Edited by DV8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Collar-Jazz-Knee said:

It's obvious this season is done, but I'm not wrist slashing as it's easy to see there are a number of reasons for our poor performances:

- 15 off-season surgeries resulting in a large portion of our side coming in underdone.

- An extensive injury list with 8 or 9 of our best 22 out last week and v the Eagles the week before.

- Loss of confidence as a result of our poor start to the season.

- Lack of outside run that has been severely exposed by the new 6-6-6 rules.

I think our list is still very healthy heading into the next 5 years and this is merely a down season, which can be common (think the Cats in 2006 after making a prelim the year before and Hawks in 2009 after winning the flag).

I've run my ladder predictor for the remainder of this year and predict we will likely finish in 12th of 13th with 8 or 9 wins. This will give us pick 6 or 7 in the draft and it is imperative we get this right and ideally bring in a gun forward in the mold of De Goey or Stephenson.

The next issue is the management of our current list. IMO the following players will be gone at years end:

Lewis, Stretch, Garlett, J Wagner, Maynard & C Wagner.

With the addition of Dunkley tonight lets assume he gets given a new contract, that leaves 5 list positions to fill.

IMO our most pressing needs are: electric forwards, quick outside mids, back up ruck.

With that in mind, I'd like to see us go after the most electric forward with our first pick, more quick outside runners with later picks and a mature ruckman as depth. We should also be looking at potential free agents to add to our list such as Coniglio, Brandon Ellis, Alex Sexton or Stephen Hill (assuming he can get himself fit).

A full pre-season into our team and a potential best 22 for Round 1 2020:

B:         Jetta               May             Hore

HB:      Hibberd          Lever           B Ellis

C :        Salem          Oliver             Baker

HF:      (1st pick)        Preuss        Melksham

F:         VanDenberg   McDonald   Hannan

R:        Gawn               Brayshaw      Viney

Int:      Frost        Hunt       Petracca     Quick small forward (anyone but Spargo and Neal-Bullen)

Depth: Dunkley, Spargo, Neal-Bullen, Weideman, Jones, Kolodjashnij, Petty, Fritsch, J Smith

*Players in bold weren't playing last week and are best 22 when fit.

Not bad although I'm not sure VDB will be around CJK.

Spargo, ANB and Petty questionable even as depth for mine.  Would be trading those out if possible along with others who dont quite cut the mustard.

Jones will not be playing as depth.  He either takes a major role as a HF (minor through the middle) in a slight resemblance to Ablett with the rest of the time on the bench or he probably hangs them up.

Trade the first three, Cwags and other NQRs (and there's a few) for...

> a genuine Key Forward who can take contesteds, is also mobile on a lead and can kick straight a la Cameron.

> a genuine powerful small forward with crumbing & finishing skills who brings solid pressure i50 and also offers a marking option into space once in a while.

> A classy outside run & carry with great burst speed who can finish coming inside (might be Baker given enough time & development).

> Similar to the last option but more an inside / outside mid (eg; a better more agile more powerful version of Gus who can find a target inside 50).

Edited by Rusty Nails

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rusty Nails said:

Not bad although I'm not sure VDB will be around CJK.

Spargo, ANB and Petty questionable even as depth for mine.  Would be trading those out if possible along with others who dont quite cut the mustard.

Jones will not be playing as depth.  He either takes a major role as a HF (minor through the middle) in a slight resemblance to Ablett with the rest of the time on the bench or he probably hangs them up.

Trade the first three, Cwags and other NQRs (and there's a few) for...

> a genuine Key Forward who can take contesteds, is also mobile on a lead and can kick straight a la Cameron.

> a genuine powerful small forward with crumbing & finishing skills who brings solid pressure i50 and also offers a marking option into space once in a while.

> A classy outside run & carry with great burst speed who can finish coming inside (might be Baker given enough time & development).

> Similar to the last option but more an inside / outside mid (eg; a better more agile more powerful version of Gus who can find a target inside 50).

I agree with your comments re Spargo and ANB, but I don't see any value in trading them and hey provide solid depth.

It's way too early on Petty and I'm fairly confident he will become a solid backman once he hits 21/22.

I also want us to look at Richmond's list to pick off one of their smalls. Higgins, Bolton, Baker, Butler, Castagna, Rioli..... surely we can offer one of those players a bit more than they're getting at the Tigers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Collar-Jazz-Knee said:

 Alex Sexton 

I would love to get this guy in. 25, just past 100 games and reliably hits the scoreboard every week. Exact type of player our forward line needs... along with another genuine crumbing small.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ArtificialWisdom said:

I would love to get this guy in. 25, just past 100 games and reliably hits the scoreboard every week. Exact type of player our forward line needs... along with another genuine crumbing small.

Sexton is a gun, pity he extended his contract two months ago until the end of 2023.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Sexton is a gun, pity he extended his contract two months ago until the end of 2023.

Well that's disappointing. Who's next on the list then? A kicking coach for Trac?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps the easiest thing is to look towards the next six to eight weeks and ask what improvement we would like to see win lose or draw.

For me it's relatively easy... I want to see improvement in the form of Brayshaw and Viney plus I want Tom Mac to improve his marking skills and his interaction with one or two of our small forwards.

The drop off in the form of Jones is alarming and was highlighted against GWS. Did he win any one on ones?

To me the finding of form by the senior players is far more important than discovering a young gem. (BTW there probably isn't one).

I'll be happy with thirteenth place and eight odd wins plus some close losses. As to the wins I want to see some high scoring thrashings.... not the five odd point fall over the line wins we have achieved so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2020 team

B:            Jetta               May                  Hibberd

HB:         Hore             T.McDonald        Lever     

C :           Baker              Oliver              Brayshaw

HF:         Salem                ??                  Petracca

F:             ??                      ??                   Melksham

R:           Gawn                Viney            Harmes

Bench:      Fritsch      Lockhart     Hunt     Koladashnij

 

We need forwards.  McDonald isnt one, his 2018 was a fluke.   Weideman may not kick on.  We have no legitimate small forwards unless Bedford and/or Chandler explode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry but you dont fluke 53 goals. 

the whole team is just devoid of confidence and that all falls on goodwin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dr.D said:

I'm sorry but you dont fluke 53 goals. 

the whole team is just devoid of confidence and that all falls on goodwin

Over Coaching? Are there too many structures the players are being told to adhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There will be nothing to look forward to if there is no correction of fundamental skill errors and dumb decision making that is on the point of becoming habitual.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Positives to take from the year:

1. Found a gem in Hore 

2. Harmes is a star

3. Salem also a star

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    MURDER BY NUMBERS by Sam the Stats Man

    The respective ladder positions of this week’s combatants tell the story of one side on the rise and the other in steep decline. Since their most recent meeting which took place early last year, the Dees and the Lions have changed positions. They are opposed to each again on the former’s home turf with the locals in fine fettle after blowing St Kilda off the park at Marvel Stadium.  The Lions’ home ground advantage has been a major consideration so far this year. They have won five out of s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MUD HEAP by KC from Casey

    In the opening round of the 2018 VFL season, the Casey Demons enjoyed an emphatic 107 point victory over Coburg at Piranha Park. The team was loaded with Melbourne listed players (half a dozen of them were in the team that beat Fremantle on Saturday) and the side was in its way to a grand final appearance. A season and a half later, the club returned to the same venue in the hope of kick starting a season that had gone somewhat awry under new coach Sam Radford and while they tasted victory (as y

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    PRETENDERS SENT PACKING by George on the Outer

    Fremantle, the Perth pretenders at sixth on the premiership table should have easily accounted for the Demons, sitting barely a game off the bottom of the ladder.   And for the majority of the game, it certainly looked that would be the case, until the final quarter, when the Demons stopped giving the Dockers easy chances, or making plain, dumb decisions. Not that their situation was helped by some simply appalling umpiring during the match, that kept gifting Fremantle easy scores.  Th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    ORWELLIAN by Whispering Jack

    Please permit me to begin this rather tragic pathetic preview of Melbourne’s forthcoming game against Fremantle with some personal reflections.   Two years ago, we had visitors staying with us who are all sports fans so we arranged tickets for the entire family for the Melbourne vs Fremantle game at the MCG. The Dockers were struggling at the time while the Demons were on the up and up so I was fairly confident about the outcome. Naturally, we all left the ground bitterly disappointed.   

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    PANTSED BY THE PIES by George on the Outer

    A 41 point loss to Collingwood, combined with yet another meagre output from the Melbourne forwards, saw the Demons pantsed by the Collingwood in the Queens Birthday match. For the nth week in a row, Melbourne failed to produce a score that would trouble most sides - it’s inaccuracy alone was again enough to seal the outcome. If that final score of 7.15 were 15.7, the game would have been very different. That sort of output was exactly a repeat of the previous week against Adelaide, when fo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TURNAROUND by KC from Casey

    It is truly amazing what a difference eight days can make in the life and times of a football club. It was a little over a week ago that the Casey Demons side were literally crushed into submission by the Werribee Tigers at Avalon Airport Oval. The losing margin in that game was not huge but the way they struggled to produce and cohesion in their play was obvious for all to see.  On Sunday at Casey Fields as part of heritage week, the team wore the Springvale FC jumper and made its own turn

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TEN YEARS AFTER by Whispering Jack

    There are many who would argue that Melbourne’s current woes go back a full decade to their Queens Birthday engagement of 2009 when the Demons selected a young VCE student Jack Watts to make his debut on the MCG in front of what was expected to be the club’s biggest crowd for a game described as the club’s “grand final in June”. That was the way of the world for the Dean Bailey coached Demons. The critics were skeptical of Melbourne’s decision to put a wet behind the ears schoolboy (albeit

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    TOP END HEADING SOUTH by George on the Outer

    The Demons headed north for their annual game in Darwin, but the disappointing outcome could only mean they are heading south with the all too familiar failings happening again. A Sam Weideman mark and kick for goal with only 30 seconds remaining in the match could have won it for the Demons, but the kick slid sideways and the team went down by two points.  Sam may have been devastated, but the fact that the team could only kick 1 goal 8 behinds in the final quarter lays the blame at the fe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    MAYDAY by KC from Casey

    There’s not very much that can be said of the lacklustre performance of the Casey Demons at Avalon Airfield Oval against the Werribee Tigers on Saturday other than that it was woeful. There were however, a few small rays of hope for Demon fans, the main one being the display of defender Steven May from injury and to a lesser extent, Kade Kolodjashnij’s return after two months recovering from the effects of concussion. May was in stellar form down back, taking intercept marks, disposing of t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    POINT OF NO RETURN by the Oracle

    Conventional wisdom says that a club reaches the point of no return in the AFL competition if it has won less than four matches at the mid point of the season.  What this means for Melbourne is that in order for it to remain in the race for a top-eight position, it must start winning games now. Moreover, It's not enough to win the next game but it must also start stringing wins together to make up for its deficit in both wins and percentage.  With so much at stake there will be no excu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A REAL DOWNER by KC from Casey

    When Sam Weideman kicked his third goal at the midpoint of the second quarter of Casey’s game at Downer Oval , Point Gellibrand on Sunday, he put his team 26 points ahead of the goalless Seagulls. Buoyed by the return from injury of Weideman and a number of other AFL-listed Melbourne players including Jordan Lewis, Mitch Hannan, and Jay Kennedy Harris and an impressive start to Jake Lever’s second game on return from his ACL surgery, the Demons were seemingly on top of the world. Lewis and

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    ANOTHER GIANT PROBLEM by George on the Outer

    On top of its injury problems Melbourne ran into an “in-form” GWS Giants at the MCG in a game which, apart from a final quarter junk-time spree served to highlight the club’s current problems. There’s a virtually non-existent forward line; a plethora of VFL standard players, who might be getting plenty of game experience but most will simply not be up to AFL standard; an inability to kick straight and an ability to waste simple opportunities so that they mustered up only one goal in the fir

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...