Jump to content

JV7

Looking Forward 2020 & Beyond

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

This group of players won’t be doing much until they learn to kick for goal

i cannot believe by Round 9 they are still kicking so badly. 

Last friday should have been over at 3/4 time, but for horrendous kicking for goal

 

Spot on swyl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, one_demon said:

I have similar concerns with May.  We gave up pick six for a player who may only play for three to five years.

Has not played one yet. This year is a wipe out. I Hope he can start pre season training in better condition and give us a reasonable season in 2020 but I have zero confidence he is doing any more than topping up his Super.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

I guess that's why he was appointed captain at the Suns...

Like their entire list, he was permitted to be (so-called) lazy at Gold Coast. He'll turn it around.

Looking forward to seeing May and Lever playing together in the 2nd half of the season

May, Lever, Frost, Jetta, Hibberd and Hore. That's a good back 6. 

Being brutally honest the back half are not our major problem. Our biggest problem is our inability to kick goals and none of that lot will kick one goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, old dee said:

Being brutally honest the back half are not our major problem. Our biggest problem is our inability to kick goals and none of that lot will kick one goal.

Like the winning goal kicked by Hore vs Suns?

But I get your point, oldy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

The concern is the drop off in form of so many of the better players from 2018.

Need to see players such as Brayshaw, Tom Mac and Oliver regain their magic.  

Weideman remains a relative unknown and of course Petracca is the enigma.

The ups so far are relatively small in comparison to the demonstrated downs.

Perhaps the second half of the season will show a little more.

Brayshaw needs to Re-focus and work on his delivery into F50.  Wasting his talents.

Oliver needs to gain some more composure with the ball. hitting more targets.   Too many of his disposals are turn overs to the opposition.  Wasting his talents.

Weideman to get his body right and healthy.

 

Petracca, needs to get a real body spec's form,  to work at,  and at the same time spend his off-season to really work on his kicking... Field-kicking,  and set-shots... 

I would like him to start working now,  on his Non-Preferred side,  kicking and hand-balling.   Developing a stronger non-preferred side, could help him to change his natural side.

.

Edited by DV8
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've not let go of 2019 yet, but the thought of a mental reset, the right reviewing of our coaching/conditioning, and (touch wood) a clearing of the injury load, yep, that has me strongly anticipating 2020.

But nevermind, I still think there's a six-game winning streak on the cards going into and after the bye, to reset the whole scene this year. :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Deehumanizing said:

We paid overs on the Hogan trade. I don't think May will have a long career and may not ever be the key position lockdown defender we were looking for. The reality is that he is not really a key position back but more the intercept marking - rebounding type we have plenty of. May has to compete for that job with Lever, Hore, Frost, Hibberd, Petty, and Kielty. May seems lazy and one dimensional and will struggle to be more than a role player. Our drafting for key position players has been terrible.

 

I think May will replace OMc. 

Lever replace Frosty.

And when they settle in...    I think Petty will come on in leaps,  in games he's required.    I reckon Petty is penciled in to eventually replace May,  when he's at retiring stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, DV8 said:

I think May will replace OMc. 

Lever replace Frosty.

And when they settle in...    I think Petty will come on in leaps,  in games he's required.    I reckon Petty is penciled in to eventually replace May,  when he's at retiring stage.

For May to replace anyone he has to have his heart in it and there appears to be a bit of evidence he is less than 100% committed. Add he has a serious injury and it is difficult to see him earning much of his salary this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, old dee said:

For May to replace anyone he has to have his heart in it and there appears to be a bit of evidence he is less than 100% committed. Add he has a serious injury and it is difficult to see him earning much of his salary this year.

I think you believe to much in what your read in papers or in metered out in-house comments.

 

I do not believe May was instructed to come back in a written prepared state of fitness.   IMO, he came back as he thought would be required as he understood it.   I wonder if lack of de-script instructions, was deliberate.

 

Many others came back underdone, and I reckon the club new, or expected we would be slow off the mark with so many pre-season Opps. and the resulting low levels of fitness prep'.

Now,  what wasn't told to us,  was the relationship breakdown May was undergoing...  maybe some how related to the move Sth.?

Mays communication with the supporters was frank and accurate at the start of proceeding with the club...   This suggests some naivety to the requirements,  from the club.

 

So I think,  all-in-all,  May has been  open,  honest,  and forthright with us.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DV8 said:

I think you believe to much in what your read in papers or in metered out in-house comments.

 

I do not believe May was instructed to come back in a written prepared state of fitness.   IMO, he came back as he thought would be required as he understood it.   I wonder if lack of de-script instructions, was deliberate.

 

Many others came back underdone, and I reckon the club new, or expected we would be slow off the mark with so many pre-season Opps. and the resulting low levels of fitness prep'.

Now,  what wasn't told to us,  was the relationship breakdown May was undergoing...  maybe some how related to the move Sth.?

Mays communication with the supporters was frank and accurate at the start of proceeding with the club...   This suggests some naivety to the requirements,  from the club.

 

So I think,  all-in-all,  May has been  open,  honest,  and forthright with us.

If so on that basis it is the club who are the idiots DV8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

For goodness sake. Let's give some of this virulent May bashing a break. Yeah, he's to blame for our current woes and won't provide anything down the track. 

 

Edited by maximum bob
spelling
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2019 is now a chance to see what some players can deliver.  Get games into Petty, Hore, Lockhart, Baker, and Weid. 

Plus make sure players truly overcome injuries (Jetta, Vandenburg Jsmith). No need to rush them back.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Love to see a forward line of Mitch Hannan and Jayden Hunt zipping around. 

not to be underestimated dazzle quicker ball movement inside 50 and quicker players at ground level changes the dynamics and options 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every year we look forward to something , get disappointed as usual. Couldn't care less for 2020 , cannot stand 6.6.6 format

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Deehumanizing said:

We paid overs on the Hogan trade. I don't think May will have a long career and may not ever be the key position lockdown defender we were looking for. The reality is that he is not really a key position back but more the intercept marking - rebounding type we have plenty of. May has to compete for that job with Lever, Hore, Frost, Hibberd, Petty, and Kielty. May seems lazy and one dimensional and will struggle to be more than a role player. Our drafting for key position players has been terrible.

 

i think you are completely Wrong on MAY , he is a lockdown one on one player. thats his role in the team , to play on one player and lock them down.  not the zone type like the rest. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, old dee said:

Has not played one yet. This year is a wipe out. I Hope he can start pre season training in better condition and give us a reasonable season in 2020 but I have zero confidence he is doing any more than topping up his Super.

That he hasn't played yet and will unlikely make an impact on our ability to make finals makes the irony very cruel when he would have come for free at the end of this year as a FA and we could've drafted a kid pick 6, if we'd waited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

That he hasn't played yet and will unlikely make an impact on our ability to make finals makes the irony very cruel when he would have come for free at the end of this year as a FA and we could've drafted a kid pick 6, if we'd waited.

not a May fan but the reality is that Brisbane would have traded him last year unless they were sure to get more under compo this year.

The trade that was lacking was Hogan for what Freo offered. It will never stack up.

Okay who were picks 5 and 6 from last year which were the best we could have got from Freo.

They happen to be Connor Rozee and Ben King

Rozee made his AFL debut in Port Adelaide's upset win over Melbourne in the opening round of the 2019 AFL season[5]. In round 3, Rozee kicked five goals and had 21 disposals in Port's 17 point loss to the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba, earning him the Rising Star nomination[6]. Rozee became the youngest Port Adelaide player to kick 5 goals in a match

Ben King... first game against Port last weekend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

not a May fan but the reality is that Brisbane would have traded him last year unless they were sure to get more under compo this year.

The trade that was lacking was Hogan for what Freo offered. It will never stack up.

Okay who were picks 5 and 6 from last year which were the best we could have got from Freo.

They happen to be Connor Rozee and Ben King

Rozee made his AFL debut in Port Adelaide's upset win over Melbourne in the opening round of the 2019 AFL season[5]. In round 3, Rozee kicked five goals and had 21 disposals in Port's 17 point loss to the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba, earning him the Rising Star nomination[6]. Rozee became the youngest Port Adelaide player to kick 5 goals in a match

Ben King... first game against Port last weekend

This is going to go  down in the same vein as our decision to not even interview Dusty Martin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not quite sure why the season is over when we are two games out of the 8 with 14 rounds left to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 9:09 AM, Deehumanizing said:

We paid overs on the Hogan trade. I don't think May will have a long career and may not ever be the key position lockdown defender we were looking for. The reality is that he is not really a key position back but more the intercept marking - rebounding type we have plenty of. May has to compete for that job with Lever, Hore, Frost, Hibberd, Petty, and Kielty. May seems lazy and one dimensional and will struggle to be more than a role player. Our drafting for key position players has been terrible.

 

May has yet to prove anything at Melbourne: hope he does but by all accounts he has shown a lack of commitment. 

On 5/20/2019 at 10:48 AM, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

I'm an optimist and will never go into a match thinking that we can't win, but realistically, finals aren't going to happen this year.

 

.....

ScoMo says “hi”!

Maybe he should come down for a motivational talk and a lesson in self belief?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, P-man said:

Not quite sure why the season is over when we are two games out of the 8 with 14 rounds left to play.

2 wins (As opposed to games) and a mere matter of 31%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, monoccular said:

May has yet to prove anything at Melbourne: hope he does but by all accounts he has shown a lack of commitment. 

ScoMo says “hi”!

Maybe he should come down for a motivational talk and a lesson in self belief?

Un-Sociable  SchmO...

 

See,  un-sociable wins again. over Fair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

2 wins (As opposed to games) and a mere matter of 31%

Still premature. Granted we’re not in a great spot but the season is still very much alive if we can get some soldiers back and come home with a tailwind.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 8:20 PM, junk said:

Every year we look forward to something , get disappointed as usual. Couldn't care less for 2020 , cannot stand 6.6.6 format

Yet here you are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A win this week vs GWS changes the course of the season.

Port or Freo will likely be clinging to 8th (5-5) and we’ll be 4-6 and right in this thing.

Its been a terrible start to the season but a win this week will largely make up for it.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    MUD HEAP by KC from Casey

    In the opening round of the 2018 VFL season, the Casey Demons enjoyed an emphatic 107 point victory over Coburg at Piranha Park. The team was loaded with Melbourne listed players (half a dozen of them were in the team that beat Fremantle on Saturday) and the side was in its way to a grand final appearance. A season and a half later, the club returned to the same venue in the hope of kick starting a season that had gone somewhat awry under new coach Sam Radford and while they tasted victory (as y

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    PRETENDERS SENT PACKING by George on the Outer

    Fremantle, the Perth pretenders at sixth on the premiership table should have easily accounted for the Demons, sitting barely a game off the bottom of the ladder.   And for the majority of the game, it certainly looked that would be the case, until the final quarter, when the Demons stopped giving the Dockers easy chances, or making plain, dumb decisions. Not that their situation was helped by some simply appalling umpiring during the match, that kept gifting Fremantle easy scores.  Th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    ORWELLIAN by Whispering Jack

    Please permit me to begin this rather tragic pathetic preview of Melbourne’s forthcoming game against Fremantle with some personal reflections.   Two years ago, we had visitors staying with us who are all sports fans so we arranged tickets for the entire family for the Melbourne vs Fremantle game at the MCG. The Dockers were struggling at the time while the Demons were on the up and up so I was fairly confident about the outcome. Naturally, we all left the ground bitterly disappointed.   

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    PANTSED BY THE PIES by George on the Outer

    A 41 point loss to Collingwood, combined with yet another meagre output from the Melbourne forwards, saw the Demons pantsed by the Collingwood in the Queens Birthday match. For the nth week in a row, Melbourne failed to produce a score that would trouble most sides - it’s inaccuracy alone was again enough to seal the outcome. If that final score of 7.15 were 15.7, the game would have been very different. That sort of output was exactly a repeat of the previous week against Adelaide, when fo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TURNAROUND by KC from Casey

    It is truly amazing what a difference eight days can make in the life and times of a football club. It was a little over a week ago that the Casey Demons side were literally crushed into submission by the Werribee Tigers at Avalon Airport Oval. The losing margin in that game was not huge but the way they struggled to produce and cohesion in their play was obvious for all to see.  On Sunday at Casey Fields as part of heritage week, the team wore the Springvale FC jumper and made its own turn

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TEN YEARS AFTER by Whispering Jack

    There are many who would argue that Melbourne’s current woes go back a full decade to their Queens Birthday engagement of 2009 when the Demons selected a young VCE student Jack Watts to make his debut on the MCG in front of what was expected to be the club’s biggest crowd for a game described as the club’s “grand final in June”. That was the way of the world for the Dean Bailey coached Demons. The critics were skeptical of Melbourne’s decision to put a wet behind the ears schoolboy (albeit

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    TOP END HEADING SOUTH by George on the Outer

    The Demons headed north for their annual game in Darwin, but the disappointing outcome could only mean they are heading south with the all too familiar failings happening again. A Sam Weideman mark and kick for goal with only 30 seconds remaining in the match could have won it for the Demons, but the kick slid sideways and the team went down by two points.  Sam may have been devastated, but the fact that the team could only kick 1 goal 8 behinds in the final quarter lays the blame at the fe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    MAYDAY by KC from Casey

    There’s not very much that can be said of the lacklustre performance of the Casey Demons at Avalon Airfield Oval against the Werribee Tigers on Saturday other than that it was woeful. There were however, a few small rays of hope for Demon fans, the main one being the display of defender Steven May from injury and to a lesser extent, Kade Kolodjashnij’s return after two months recovering from the effects of concussion. May was in stellar form down back, taking intercept marks, disposing of t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    POINT OF NO RETURN by the Oracle

    Conventional wisdom says that a club reaches the point of no return in the AFL competition if it has won less than four matches at the mid point of the season.  What this means for Melbourne is that in order for it to remain in the race for a top-eight position, it must start winning games now. Moreover, It's not enough to win the next game but it must also start stringing wins together to make up for its deficit in both wins and percentage.  With so much at stake there will be no excu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A REAL DOWNER by KC from Casey

    When Sam Weideman kicked his third goal at the midpoint of the second quarter of Casey’s game at Downer Oval , Point Gellibrand on Sunday, he put his team 26 points ahead of the goalless Seagulls. Buoyed by the return from injury of Weideman and a number of other AFL-listed Melbourne players including Jordan Lewis, Mitch Hannan, and Jay Kennedy Harris and an impressive start to Jake Lever’s second game on return from his ACL surgery, the Demons were seemingly on top of the world. Lewis and

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    ANOTHER GIANT PROBLEM by George on the Outer

    On top of its injury problems Melbourne ran into an “in-form” GWS Giants at the MCG in a game which, apart from a final quarter junk-time spree served to highlight the club’s current problems. There’s a virtually non-existent forward line; a plethora of VFL standard players, who might be getting plenty of game experience but most will simply not be up to AFL standard; an inability to kick straight and an ability to waste simple opportunities so that they mustered up only one goal in the fir

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    GIANT HEADACHE by The Oracle

    It seems so long ago that Melbourne took an unchanged line up into a game on the MCG against the Greater Western Sydney Giants and cleaned them up to the tune of 45 points.  In truth, the event occurred literally half a season ago in the final home and away round of the 2018 season and marked the Demons’ return to the finals with more triumphs to come in the weeks ahead. Of course, back then, it was the Giants who were wracked with injuries as they stumbled into the finals series facing the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

×
×
  • Create New...