Goody Presser (14/5)

Demonland

I applaud Goodwin for focussing on the things he can do. And right at the top of that list is "Refuse to learn from the biggest learning opportunity Melbourne has had in the past 20 years."

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

While it is understandable that he focusses on the positives about our enormous injury list, in my mind he is wearing the Black Knight's armour as he speaks.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Chook said:

I applaud Goodwin for focussing on the things he can do. And right at the top of that list is "Refuse to learn from the biggest learning opportunity Melbourne has had in the past 20 years."

Why review it? We didn't play the prelim with the Melbourne brand that works against weaker teams and fails against Collingwood, RIchmond & WCE.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Chook said:

Er ... where did he say that they hadn't "taken learnings" from the PF?

He didn't.

On the contrary, the talk of taking Preuss is exactly what you would do if you were examining what went wrong in the PF, and where Max was double-teamed all match.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sue said:

While it is understandable that he focusses on the positives about our enormous injury list, in my mind he is wearing the Black Knight's armour as he speaks.

When we eventually make a gf and lose (to WCe or pies probably), by 115 points , and we fail to analyse, we can all rename him TBK

goos call sue

24 minutes ago, bing181 said:

He didn't.

On the contrary, the talk of taking Preuss is exactly what you would do if you were examining what went wrong in the PF, and where Max was double-teamed all match.

Don’t bother bringing logic into the argument bing, it won’t be listened to

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

I still back in Goody.  This year has been cruel but he keeps his focus.  

And all those critics need to be reminded we made a PF last year after 2 brilliant final wins.Lot more than Roos did. Great effort and he will no doubt be remembered as a great MFC coach in years to come. Just watch this space.

• Like 2

What he tells the media and what he discusses with the players and staff are most likely two different things. I wouldn’t want to give the media anything either. They keep bringing up the Prelim in an attempt to manufacture a story, I think Goody plays them well. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, John Demonic said:

Why review it? We didn't play the prelim with the Melbourne brand that works against weaker teams and fails against Collingwood, RIchmond & WCE.

Is that the same brand that beat WCE in Perth at the 2 previous outings, and got hold of Adelaide the last 2 times at Adelaide Oval? Tough and memorable wins all of them. No doubt WCE were just foxing.... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tim said:

Is that the same brand that beat WCE in Perth at the 2 previous outings, and got hold of Adelaide the last 2 times at Adelaide Oval? Tough and memorable wins all of them. No doubt WCE were just foxing.... 

Our big win against Adelaide looked massive at the time, until we learnt that they were having a gf hangover all year and would end up outside the 8. Our big win against WCE looked massive at the time, until we learnt how they play with their two time coleman medalist in the team when a grand final spot is on the line and not in a deadrubber. Memorable wins none the less, but fools gold on revision. I do actually think the WCE and Adelaide wins in 2017 were better than any wins last year.

One was gritty and full of sheer determination and the latter against the Crows was a tactical destruction and smothering of all of their strengths while they were at their peak. Having said that though, we never played at a level that Richmond did that year and they would've crushed us if we'd actually beaten Collingwood in round 23 and gotten into the finals.

So far this year it has looked utterly meager against the top team in Geelong as we've slid backwards.

Edited by John Demonic

10 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

What he tells the media and what he discusses with the players and staff are most likely two different things. I wouldn’t want to give the media anything either. They keep bringing up the Prelim in an attempt to manufacture a story, I think Goody plays them well. 

Correct. He treats the media like the fools that they are.

1 hour ago, drysdale demon said:

Correct. He treats the media like the fools that they are.

There is a very fine line between treating the media like fools and treating the supporters like fools. I'm not sure that Goodwin has got that balance right yet.

17 hours ago, bing181 said:

He didn't.

Not just the  'PF',  Bing.     I think the club would have been well aware of or exposure in the ruck early in the season,  or even going into last season.

16 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

I think the AFL and the capitol system...  plays us all well.

If they give is all the answers...   the system makes less profits...  and less interest thru the week to sell data...  and papers,  and stories...  and TV shows,  and radio shows...  so people are all hooked in,  trying to find out the 'goss'