POSTGAME: Rd 07 vs Hawthorn

Demonland

Did anyone catch the clip of the boys in a circle just before the opening bounce doing some sort of chant? It looked like Nibbler and Jeffy were in the middle orchestrating.

2 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Did anyone catch the clip of the boys in a circle just before the opening bounce doing some sort of chant? It looked like Nibbler and Jeffy were in the middle orchestrating.

You could see that DZ!?  I couldnt see who the hec was who apart from the outer rim.  Nice Battle cry though.  Something different and hey, it worked!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, picket fence said:

Yep and I thought we were GONE. Greatt gutsy effort 

POSITIVES  Clarry Choo Choo got Mojo Back, Max, Harmsy, Hore, Lockhart, Jones Hibberd all really good and Frosty becoming more and more capable and confident. Jeffy had some good moments

NEGATIVES  Turbo Mc Treacle , honestly how does he get a game, His brother not much better, Lewis IS cooked, Tracca, Neal Bullen, not much to write home about! 

Good win needs to be backed up next week.

Nibbler was back to his best.  Couldn't fault him and even kicked a beauty playing front and square

• Thanks 1

Just in relation to the final few minutes, was that Lockhart kick too far for him to kick (uncertain of his attributes still).

Just found it interesting he slotted it off to Melksham; was that purely to buy time or due to his kicking ability.

5 minutes ago, roy11 said:

Just in relation to the final few minutes, was that Lockhart kick too far for him to kick (uncertain of his attributes still).

Just found it interesting he slotted it off to Melksham; was that purely to buy time or due to his kicking ability.

I thought it was for running dow n the clock.  Otherwise would have kicked it to the hot spot. I reckon

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, roy11 said:

In the warm up Lockhart had no trouble making the distance from similar range. You can notice on the replay Lockhart calling out Melksham in an attempted subtle manner and signalling with his eyes that he would pass it off to him. It looked like time wasting to me.

Also, why wasn’t Melksham given the full 30 seconds after he signalled he was having a shot. He was told to play on after 15 seconds. Is there a different rule for outside 50 shots?

1 minute ago, Dee Zephyr said:

In the warm up Lockhart had no trouble making the distance from similar range. You can notice on the replay Lockhart calling out Melksham in an attempted subtle manner and signalling with his eyes that he would pass it off to him. It looked like time wasting to me.

Also, why wasn’t Melksham given the full 30 seconds after he signalled he was having a shot. He was told to play on after 15 seconds. Is there a different rule for outside 50 shots?

No, there is no rule, and I assume the umpires were umpring for the 'spirit of the game'.... interpret that how you will.

It was unrealistic for Melksham to claim a set shot when he was next to the boundary and would've been kicking from 55m. That he pulled the kick is evidence of this. 

Claiming the set shot doesn't mean you automatically get 30 sec.

Umpire probably got it right.

I was more disappointed that Melksham's kick was pulled too short for Tmac or Max to have any chance. I understand that he was avoiding a behind, which creates the slingshot for a final Hawthorn attack.

Edited by Moonshadow

2 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

It was unrealistic for Melksham to claim a set shot when he was next to the boundary and would've been kicking from 55m. That he pulled the kick is evidence of this. 

I was more disappointed that Melksham's kick was pulled too short for Tmac or Max to have any chance. I understand that he was avoiding a behind, which creates the slingshot for a final Hawthorn attack.

All very reasonable except I bet the umps would allow some 'star' players a slow set shot from there.   A bit like Buddy's 'natural arc'.

• Like 1

I want to put this on the Agenda - I believe Christian Salem will be leading our BnF and is arguably in our top 3 most important players. He is flying under the radar but he has become a very very good footballer.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, roy11 said:

It was a brilliant ploy to get almost a full minute off the clock. I reckon we won the game because of that. 

2 minutes ago, Jaded said:

It was a brilliant ploy to get almost a full minute off the clock. I reckon we won the game because of that. 

I reckon it cost us one more goal to Jayden Hunt

3 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Not sure I agree. Melk could have made thar distance. He did off one step on his left in the semi (albeit not over a bloke on the mark).

As others have said he pulled the wrong rein with his pulled kick. Had to either go for a goal, which may well not have got there but could have been punched through, either by us or them. Or to the forward pocket for a point or boundary line throw in. A stoppage gives us a chance to lock it and even score.

A point ensures we can't lose the match and allows us time to flood back far enough to force the short kick to the pocket and then into their back 50 if required (as happened).

The worst result was kicking it straight to their ruck man.

Edited by binman

11 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Great stuff here from Sir Marty Hore with the game in the balance.  Wins the one on one, and follows it up with a big tackle for which he earned a free kick. 

giphy.gif

a great turnover our way from Marty.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DV8 said:

a great turnover our way from Marty.

Nailed that tackle.  One of the best bits of play on the day.  Lewis's attemp to tackle  was interesting.  Two great examples for the review.... one showing how not to and then the way you do it....all in the same passage of play!

I Just watched the replay again and trac was instrumental in the last 10sec in winning the ball and creating a huge contest down to our 50 where Hunt was going to run onto it with 2 hawks to beat. 

Great effort especially considering it was right at the end of the game. 

Edited by DemonOX
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Nailed that tackle.  One of the best bits of play on the day.  Lewis's attemp to tackle  was interesting.  Two great examples for the review.... one showing how not to and then the way you do it....all in the same passage of play!

Yep. One is an example of a player just collecting pension, the other is an example of a player who still has interest in succeeding. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, sue said:

All very reasonable except I bet the umps would allow some 'star' players a slow set shot from there.   A bit like Buddy's 'natural arc'.

Melksham took 19 seconds off the clock

My understanding was that you get 6 seconds the a "whistle, move-it-on ... play-on" in general play OR 30 seconds count down to walk-in. 19 seconds for Melk was about 15 seconds, then he started to walk in then the ump whistled... Another poor umpiring decision for mine... [censored] they were bad

2 hours ago, ManDee said:

I reckon it cost us one more goal to Jayden Hunt

Law of averages suggests otherwise. If Lockhart misses Hawthorn get the ball with 1:30 left and can take it down the other end and kick a goal. They almost did that anyway but they had less time and all we needed to do was bring it back down to our forwards just once more to win it.