Big Gun

May setback + Jetta knee injury (8-10 weeks)

Get well soon, Nev.  We'll miss you.

On the flip side, I'm excited to see how this pans out for some players.  Are we about to find out if Josh Wagner has any chance of making it as an AFL player?  Can he step into that role and really give us something?  

Do we give Lockhart a run down there instead?  He is a little smaller, but he's a tough bugger who is a decent user of the footy and you'll know that he'll have a dip all day.

What I'm getting at is that, with the probability of a flag this season pretty damn low, it's time to see if a few fringe players can actually make it.  I firmly believe that we have plenty of talent on the list that is capable of getting us to the holy grail, but we need foot soldiers as well, and we are about to find out if we have any of those on the list who can step into a role when needed.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, A F said:

I was all for recruiting Lever and May, but given what we've paid for them, and their output on field, it's a diabolic fail...

Hard for Lever to show his value if he gets a twelve month injury

Edited by one_demon
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2019-04-22/jetta-set-for-surgery

Article says it's a separate injury to the one he was originally out with.

Cue anti-Misson posts.

Yes, get well soon Nev.

Ok... this is the start of the time to play some kids, for us, IMO.

I'd keep Nev out for the season,  following his surgery. Let that meniscus Heal as much as possible.

It seems all our older players are really struggling right now. 

We might need them all firing next season,  apart from one or two who won't go around again.

Edited by DV8
  • Like 1

It is more than just Stephen Mays fault. He is 27 and came back unfit - his fault. He had plenty of time to get fit enough to be able to play once the season started: was he "punished" by doing training his body was not right for? And was he "punished" to push through the pain which resulted in a longer lay off?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Be prepared for this comment re: his recruitment to be littered throughout the thread.

While May was unprofessional with the way in which he approached pre-season, and I'm willing to give him a little leeway as he came from the worst club in the comp, we can't judge this deal until he retires.  Moaning about the deal just because it's hit a roadblock early in the piece isn't solving anything.  

We know the bloke can play.  If he is part of a premiership side, with Lever right beside him, then I'll be a happy man.  I'm judging it on that.

Wise, 

This is absolutely on May. The fact he went publicly and shamed GC training standards is just [censored] poor and now has egg on his face. He was a leader there, what did he actually do himself to change those standards? He is 27 and mature enough to know he should have gotten himself at the best nick he could possibly be. After he did his medical the club would have given him an off season program to abide by and its clear that he didn't follow this.

Sorry but this is absolutely on him. Didn't do himself any favour by knocking out some bloke in a practice match either.

We honestly make so much excuses for some of these blokes 

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

And lever was told by experts to expect to play by Anzac eve IIRC.

He may have overdone it by listening to coaches rather than doctors.

2 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Get well soon, Nev.  We'll miss you.

On the flip side, I'm excited to see how this pans out for some players.  Are we about to find out if Josh Wagner has any chance of making it as an AFL player?  Can he step into that role and really give us something?  

Do we give Lockhart a run down there instead?  He is a little smaller, but he's a tough bugger who is a decent user of the footy and you'll know that he'll have a dip all day.

What I'm getting at is that, with the probability of a flag this season pretty damn low, it's time to see if a few fringe players can actually make it.  I firmly believe that we have plenty of talent on the list that is capable of getting us to the holy grail, but we need foot soldiers as well, and we are about to find out if we have any of those on the list who can step into a role when needed.

I love Jetta as I think/hope most of us on here do.

But he's been so poor in the games he's played this year that the loss to us of him going out is negligible.

So I agree with you that this is at least a chance to see who else on the list can play on mid/small forwards and aspire to play the role Jetta's been struggling to achieve in 2019.

Fingers crossed Jetta comes back post-bye in good health and can make an impact in the second half of the season.

• Like 5

Considering the season is over it may not be a bad thing.  Gives us an opportunity to try some other defenders.

2 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Wise, 

This is absolutely on May. The fact he went publicly and shamed GC training standards is just [censored] poor and now has egg on his face. He was a leader there, what did he actually do himself to change those standards? He is 27 and mature enough to know he should have gotten himself at the best nick he could possibly be. After he did his medical the club would have given him an off season program to abide by and its clear that he didn't follow this.

Sorry but this is absolutely on him. Didn't do himself any favour by knocking out some bloke in a practice match either.

We honestly make so much excuses for some of these blokes 

I can't really argue that point, dazzle.  I'm not necessarily trying to really. 

Be annoyed, angry, frustrated etc at the bloke because of the above, but I think we should hold off on being against the trade at all. Time will tell on that one.

On a separate but connected issue, Tom macDonald is obviously injured. He is playing. I wonder if he is happy to be playing? As said earlier there is something crook in Tallarook that we arent being told about.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Hahah what an absolute joke... 

3 first round draft picks for May and Lever..  

No wonder Gold Coast were laughing to the bank when they got rid of May and KK for pick 6.

You're doing it again, dazzle.

You were completely in favour of bringing May to the club. You also posted a link to an article about May's character and what a great person he is.

You can express disappointment/frustration at the way May showed up at the club, or the way the club dealt with his fitness since then, but don't make it sound like the deal was a shocker from the get go because it wasn't, and you certainly didn't think so at the time.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I can't really argue that point, dazzle.  I'm not necessarily trying to really. 

Be annoyed, angry, frustrated etc at the bloke because of the above, but I think we should hold off on being against the trade at all. Time will tell on that one.

The thing is wise, he was a free agent after this year so we paid top value to get him in and make us a threat this year or at the very least create the chemistry with the backline. It's a huge failure no matter how you look at it.

• Like 1

Just now, Watts the matter said:

The thing is wise, he was a free agent after this year so we paid top value to get him in and make us a threat this year or at the very least create the chemistry with the backline. It's a huge failure no matter how you look at it.

I'll call it a failure when, in three to four years time, we don't have a flag or gotten close to one, and May hasn't provided us with much output on or off the field.

Until then I'll be disappointed with his actions over pre-season, but I'm far, far away from calling it a failure yet.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Watts the matter said:

yep Tiges got Lynch for nothing other than money and we traded pick 6 for May....

• Like 1

May needs a real kick up the backside. He has let us down the trade for May has been a disaster. Back to the bottom 4 again sigh.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Damo said:

On a separate but connected issue, Tom macDonald is obviously injured. He is playing. I wonder if he is happy to be playing? As said earlier there is something crook in Tallarook that we arent being told about.

You are right about Tallarook. There is something wrong at the club. It isn't raining anymore it is starting to pour. Lets see if they now give the kids a chance or go on in denial.

Just now, WERRIDEE said:

May needs a real kick up the backside. He has let us down the trade for May has been a disaster. Back to the bottom 4 again sigh.

especially when you consider he was eligible to be a free agent at the end of 2019

we could've held our nerve, held onto hogan, and then traded him as a non-free agent at the end of 2019 and picked up may on a freebie

disastrous list management when all is said and done

• Like 2
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Be prepared for this comment re: his recruitment to be littered throughout the thread.

While May was unprofessional with the way in which he approached pre-season, and I'm willing to give him a little leeway as he came from the worst club in the comp, we can't judge this deal until he retires.  Moaning about the deal just because it's hit a roadblock early in the piece isn't solving anything.  

We know the bloke can play.  If he is part of a premiership side, with Lever right beside him, then I'll be a happy man.  I'm judging it on that.

100% correct.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

Soft tissue injuries are more likely to happen to those suddenly increasing their load from a poor fitness base. Don’t label anyone who disagrees with you stupid.

I said it was a stupid comment.  

So what’s that got to do with the recruiting of May 

45 minutes ago, Pipefitter said:

What’s up with Jetta?

Meniscus injury...  2nd Qtr on Saturday v the Saints.

Chad Wingard looks is awful shape and is only just going for the Hawks. Rockliff and others didn't do much for Port last year. Stringer took half a season to get going at the Dons.

Point is it's not always easy to get senior players from other sides and have them up and running. 

Anyone who's an NFL fan will know that free agents are often available for a reason and it's the same in the AFL when it comes to trading players.

I'll maintain that May was stiff to be suspended, which meant he missed round 1 and then was underdone in round 2. We stuff that up. And yeah a lot feeds back to his preseason conditioning, but at some stage you can't put it all on him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demons11 said:

I said it was a stupid comment.  

So what’s that got to do with the recruiting of May 

Pick 6 for a 27 year old grossly unfit. Go figure.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

yep Tiges got Lynch for nothing other than money and we traded pick 6 for May....

That hurts. Lynch has hit the ground running. We will see him rip us apart on Wednesday night

Just now, chook fowler said:

Pick 6 for a 27 year old grossly unfit. Go figure.

No worries mate.