PREGAME: Rd 03 vs Essendon

Demonland

15 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Very surprised that there's very little love among the tipsters for the Windy Hill mob.

I would think we have a show tonight...but am not even pencilling in a win here...so much is my distrust of our ability.

Agree, tipsters are underestimating how quickly Ess can bounce back when their backs are to the wall as they proved last year. 

Also, they dismantled us in round 2, 2016 by playing 'control and possession' football:  switched wide at ease, moved the ball quickly down the wings and got behind our zone for easy run into open goals.  Most of our big defeats in the last year or two have been to clubs who play that style.  We have won some games with 'chaos' football games against the 'control and possession' style teams but not many.

Worsfold will remind them of that 21016 game, that they can do it.  They will be ready and hopefully we are two.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 3

Tom Mc isn't filling me with confidence for this week:  "We know where we need to get better. It's not going to happen in one week or one quarter, it'll take a little while, but I think we understand what we need to do and it's about using each other a little more and bringing others into the game without thinking you've always got to kick it long to a contest all the time." 

Um we don't have much time; lose this week and finals start looking doubtful ?

And, would prefer if we didn't flag our lack of confidence to turn our game around to this week's pposition!

I'm a fair way off the mark.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Deesprate said:

Optimism is a wonderful thing. 

Isn’t it, we have to start somewhere so it might as well be tomorrow night. Three weeks ago i was thinking tomorrow night would be massive for different reasons, I had the Bombers as a sneaky chance to finish 7 - 8 this year, and us 2 & 0. Look how that’s turned out....

45 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Tom Mc isn't filling me with confidence for this week:  "We know where we need to get better. It's not going to happen in one week or one quarter, it'll take a little while, but I think we understand what we need to do and it's about using each other a little more and bringing others into the game without thinking you've always got to kick it long to a contest all the time." 

And, would prefer if we didn't flag our lack of confidence to turn our game around to this week's pposition!

I agree with Tom.  It won't happen straight away, but what might happen is we start to turn the tide and win a few games in an ugly manner.  Friday night might not be great to watch, but I can see us beginning to hit more targets forward of the ball and to work better as a unit.  It won't be perfect, but I think that is what Tom is getting at.  We just need to continue to work hard at it.  These next three games are all extremely winnable, and while some of our footy might not be very good, I can see us building up the consistency to do it for longer, and thus winning these games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Agree, tipsters are underestimating how quickly Ess can bounce back when their backs are to the wall as they proved last year. 

Also, they dismantled us in round 2, 2016 by playing 'control and possession' football:  switched wide at ease, moved the ball quickly down the wings and got behind our zone for easy run into open goals.  Most of our big defeats in the last year or two have been to clubs who play that style.  We have won some games with 'chaos' football games against the 'control and possession' style teams but not many.

Worsfold will remind them of that 21016 game, that they can do it.  They will be ready and hopefully we are two.

Theirs is a very dangerous , to us, style of game when up and about.

And we just love giving  teams back their mojo

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

The key issue for us is fitness and under done. Too manty players with interrupted pre seasons.

I saw a stat that showed we are getting smashed in the second half of quarters. That's a fitness issue.

Leaving the fitness issue sside I find it really curious - and not a little concerning - that tom talks about us not looking for open players, blindly kicking it long to a comtest and not bringing team mates into the game. I mean that's not a fitness thing. That's a psychology thing. I mean we finished top 4 last year. Do we get we programmed over summer?

• Like 2

we just need the 4 points at this stage. even if we can make it to 2-4 by round 6, then get 4-5 players back and go on a run.  we are good enough to win 12 out of 16 if fit

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, binman said:

The key issue for us is fitness and under done. Too manty players with interrupted pre seasons.

I saw a stat that showed we are getting smashed in the second half of quarters. That's a fitness issue.

Leaving the fitness issue sside I find it really curious - and not a little concerning - that tom talks about us not looking for open players, blindly kicking it long to a comtest and not bringing team mates into the game. I mean that's not a fitness thing. That's a psychology thing. I mean we finished top 4 last year. Do we get we programmed over summer?

yep we're definitely not fit enough, and combined with our lack of pace all over the ground it means we get opened up easily, especially late in quarters. r1 vs port towards the end of the first quarter I noticed a shot on tv where about a dozen of our guys had hands on hips sucking in the big ones while port players all looked fine. it was then I knew we were gonna be in trouble.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

I agree with Tom.  It won't happen straight away, but what might happen is we start to turn the tide and win a few games in an ugly manner.  Friday night might not be great to watch, but I can see us beginning to hit more targets forward of the ball and to work better as a unit.  It won't be perfect, but I think that is what Tom is getting at.  We just need to continue to work hard at it.  These next three games are all extremely winnable, and while some of our footy might not be very good, I can see us building up the consistency to do it for longer, and thus winning these games.

You have written stuff about my post that has no relevance to what I wrote.  Re-read my post. I didn't disagree with Tom; more perturbed that he would so readily disclose the lack of confidence in our ability to turn things around quickly and concerned we may not have the time he is looking for.  And, I don't care how imperfect or how ugly games are so not sure why you even raise those. 

To me this is a must win game regardless of what happens in the next few weeks because a loss makes a comeback (to finals) from the bottom of the ladder with a lousy percentage and a tough draw extremely difficult.  Sure we will build consistency and start winning games but it may be too late to make finals.  That is what I care about; not how we get there.  So some urgency from the players when talking to the media would be welcome.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Tom Mc isn't filling me with confidence for this week"We know where we need to get better. It's not going to happen in one week or one quarter, it'll take a little while, but I think we understand what we need to do and it's about using each other a little more and bringing others into the game without thinking you've always got to kick it long to a contest all the time." 

Try to think of it as a strategy of under-promising with the intention of over-delivering. Then it's much more palatable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/2/2019 at 9:10 PM, old dee said:

The only thing to be decided on Friday night is the size of the loss. Reminds me of the Neeld days. No key forwards, poor delivery to those who are there. The key to our dreadful start in 2019. How on earth has this club failed to discuss / confront the Preliminary final  slaughter?  

After Friday night we will be in another rebuild phase. My God it is boringly familiar.

Indeed - boringly familiar contribution from you.

Edited by Fifty-5
  • Love 1

I used to dread melbourne collingwood games because I couldn't sit there and watch us lose. Now it's the essendon games I don't look forward to. Thankfully we get the game out of the way early and only have to play them once. 

It's actually been awhile since I've been to a melbourne essendon game. But gee we better win and win well tomorrow night. For 2 reasons, 1-we get a win on the board and our season back on track. But most importantly the 2nd reason is to have essendon lose again and keep the essenscum fans miserable. 

We have to get off to a great start, make the most of our opportunities and Id love to see Jonsey bounce back and Gawn to dominate. 

Let’s see how good this coach of ours is.

He needs to manufacture a win.

Edited by DeeZee

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

on the AFL site everyone seems to have tipped Melbourne to win....

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-04/the-tips-are-in-our-reporters-find-you-a-r3-winner

Same at the Hun...only one at the Aged picked Ess.

Quite odd really

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

Let’s see how good this coach of ours is.

He needs to manufacture a win.

Ain't that the truth! Not so sure how it can be done as it is a big call - but relentless endeavour and force of will are going to be critical. The players talk of Goodwin as a father figure, a caring figure. There is a bandwagon to get onto this round. Resurrection must start somewhere and I guess, it will be at the selection table this week. Speed and ruthless attack.

we have been bad but the bombers put in a horrendous performance.  Freo will show how good the saints are this weekend but smashing them off the park.

we should win.  we are paying $10 for a 80pt+ win.  its tempting

we have played two good teams in good form.  we now play a rabble. I think we are a significantly better rabble than they are

• Haha 1