Jump to content

Welcome to Demonland: James Jordon


Demonland

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Going to be a struggle for some to spell his name correctly!

I love a country kid with a pure kick. From Jason Taylor's comments I'm not sure he's really targeted for any particular position, maybe more of a gamble on some skills and athleticism. 

20th December, would have to be closest to youngest player in the draft. 

In fairness to the OP (me) I took it from the AFL site and didn't question the spelling for obvious reasons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Demonland said:

In fairness to the OP (me) I took it from the AFL site and didn't question the spelling for obvious reasons.

Not blaming you! It appears to be an atypical surname that’s going to cause confusion. TrengRove like

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is an interesting selection.  I can tell you that Hawthorn classified him as Not Draft Quality.  This is the label they attach to all players they believe are not worthy of Draft consideration. 

I also looked at a lot of Phantom Drafters and I don’t recall seeing anyone nominate him in a Top 50.

Let’s hope Jason Taylor proves them all wrong. 

  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, goodwindees said:

This is an interesting selection.  I can tell you that Hawthorn classified him as Not Draft Quality.  This is the label they attach to all players they believe are not worthy of Draft consideration. 

I also looked at a lot of Phantom Drafters and I don’t recall seeing anyone nominate him in a Top 50.

Let’s hope Jason Taylor proves them all wrong. 

We must have got wind of another club taking him. Otherwise there is no reason he wouldn't have lasted until the rookie draft. He barely rates a mention anywhere. Jason Taylor does have a good eye. He needs to at this club, we don't leave him with much.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, KingDingAling said:

We must have got wind of another club taking him. Otherwise there is no reason he wouldn't have lasted until the rookie draft. He barely rates a mention anywhere. Jason Taylor does have a good eye. He needs to at this club, we don't leave him with much.

Taking a player because you believe someone else may take them down the track goes against Taylor’s “best available” philosophy though. 

I have no idea whether the players we picked up will be any good or not, seems Taylor has a blue collar philosophy on recruiting though. He likes players that have to earn their keep. Small town types that will do anything to make it..

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's the ethic that Goody and Coaches have concentrated on in since Roosy took over.

All the recruits are win your own ball in traffic and Janes no exception.

Think like Clarry as a bolter and prob the most speculative of the draft choices.

Honest and plenty of upside who will improve around our Club culture.

All our drafts will be competing against each other for recognition improvement and maybe one spot in our early season team.

On that basis the highlight reels favour Tom Sparrow of the onballers who may be more advanced than Toby and Kade. 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 58er said:

Think like Clarry as a bolter and prob the most speculative of the draft choices.

Not only that, but if he's in the Clarry mould, he's arrived at a club where he can be taught by him. I swear the handball effectiveness of the whole club has improved since he's been there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


13 hours ago, goodwindees said:

This is an interesting selection.  I can tell you that Hawthorn classified him as Not Draft Quality.  This is the label they attach to all players they believe are not worthy of Draft consideration. 

I also looked at a lot of Phantom Drafters and I don’t recall seeing anyone nominate him in a Top 50.

Let’s hope Jason Taylor proves them all wrong. 

In that case, it’s worth repeating what I just wrote about Jordon elsewhere:-

Incidentally, James Jordon played for Oakleigh, the losers in that TAC Cup Grand Final and his first quarter was worth watching. It was obvious at the time from his low jumper number that he wasn’t a regular in the team (we know now that he played only seven games for them during the season due to school commitments). He appeared to run out of steam after his early burst but, on reflection, I should have taken more notice of him. He hasn’t had the development or the fitness base of the more heralded regulars at TAC Cup or other state under age levels but I suspect that the selectors were on to something with Jordon and that, with development, he might well rush past so me of the blokes who are getting the accolades for first r ound draft selection. He’s also played country football for Yarrawonga  - they make them tough there  (well they used to based on a game I witnessed in the 80s). That he played for them speaks volumes to me. He’s still just 17. You know what I mean?

I hope those Hawthorn recruiters end up with some ? on their faces. There’s every chance Jordon will continue growing for another year or two and end up one of those prototype modern midfielders at some stage in the future. I’d like to see that.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I found the full video of the 2018 TAC Cup Grand Final. Jordon (#64) is in everything in the first quarter and then drifts out of the game after that.

Jordon made his debut for the Yarrawonga Pigeons earlier in the season and then played school football at Caulfield Grammar. He was a member of the APS representative team which defeated the AGSV at Trinity College and made his debut for the Chargers during the June/July school break. He returned to the Chargers after school commitments ended and played two games before the finals, then all three finals at TAC Cup level. He was named second on the Oakleigh best list in the first final.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, My name is legion said:

Looks like Cale Morton

Don’t even say that in jest!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22: 48 drops to his knees to win a ground ball handball, then follows up and bangs the ball forward in traffic
24: 58 - quick centre clearance handball to a free team mate
26:05 -  bangs a torp up the line 
33:15 - fumbles, then dishes a quick handball, gets around the back to get the handball back and gets his kick smothered, regathers to rush another kick 30m or so forward
33: 58 - reads the play well and quickly gets on to a wayward kick, gathers cleanly and fires a nice handball back to a team mate
34:50 - no possessions here but makes good position to receive a handball and also quickly covers back on a turnover
35:28 - handball gets smothered on the boundary line
35:50 gets beat easily for the clearance by his opponent, no body contact
36:35 - again positions on the back of the play to receive a handball, spears a kick 20m to hit an open forward

The last play was his best for the quarter.

Looked to me like a guy who probably was still adjusting to the pace of the game and given Dandy were a fierce pressure side and it was a Grand Final that probably makes sense. Clearly not as physically developed as most kids, you can see he doesn't have the upper body definition or run in the legs. But there's some speed and he reads the play to receive the ball. If his last kick of the quarter was deliberate and indicative of what he can do instead of just more of a fluke then I can see why we liked that. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


14 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

In that case, it’s worth repeating what I just wrote about Jordon elsewhere:-

Incidentally, James Jordon played for Oakleigh, the losers in that TAC Cup Grand Final and his first quarter was worth watching. It was obvious at the time from his low jumper number that he wasn’t a regular in the team (we know now that he played only seven games for them during the season due to school commitments). He appeared to run out of steam after his early burst but, on reflection, I should have taken more notice of him. He hasn’t had the development or the fitness base of the more heralded regulars at TAC Cup or other state under age levels but I suspect that the selectors were on to something with Jordon and that, with development, he might well rush past so me of the blokes who are getting the accolades for first r ound draft selection. He’s also played country football for Yarrawonga  - they make them tough there  (well they used to based on a game I witnessed in the 80s). That he played for them speaks volumes to me. He’s still just 17. You know what I mean?

I hope those Hawthorn recruiters end up with some ? on their faces. There’s every chance Jordon will continue growing for another year or two and end up one of those prototype modern midfielders at some stage in the future. I’d like to see that.

All good points, especially the one about hitting Hawthorn recruiters in the face with a skillet...

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

 

I found the full video of the 2018 TAC Cup Grand Final. Jordon (#64) is in everything in the first quarter and then drifts out of the game after that.

Jordon made his debut for the Yarrawonga Pigeons earlier in the season and then played school football at Caulfield Grammar. He was a member of the APS representative team which defeated the AGSV at Trinity College and made his debut for the Chargers during the June/July school break. He returned to the Chargers after school commitments ended and played two games before the finals, then all three finals at TAC Cup level. He was named second on the Oakleigh best list in the first final.

No biggie about APS beating AGSV. It happens every year. The APS have won the last nine of these games in a row.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another tough ball winner who makes good decisions with ball in hand and with potential for more growth, only 17. Welcome aboard James. !!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:35 PM, goodwindees said:

Yeah, they’re just the most successful club of the modern era and have won about 10 Flags since us. 

That said, you are missing the only point which was just what a Smokey this selection was. 

are they realy that good at drafting in the last 5 or so years? or was it more 10 years ago. They just keep bringing in other teams developed players. Who is their young talent coming through?. I thought Sicily and perhaps Burton could be A grade. not sure there is much else. and they gave up Burton to again bringing in someone else's talent, Wingard. not sure they are the recruiters to be listening to.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/23/2018 at 2:43 PM, DeeSpencer said:

Going to be a struggle for some to spell his name correctly!

I love a country kid with a pure kick. From Jason Taylor's comments I'm not sure he's really targeted for any particular position, maybe more of a gamble on some skills and athleticism. 

20th December, would have to be closest to youngest player in the draft. 

Kicking penetration similar to the great Rod Grinter, heh? We haven't had one of those for years....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    TRAINING: Tuesday 28th May 2024

    Veteran Demonland Trackwatcher Kev Martin returned to the training track to bring you the following observations from Gosch's Paddock this morning. Beautiful morning for training. The dew has dried, out from AAMI, quiet chatting. Maysie does his heart symbol. 7 in rehab, Turner, Hore, Sestan, BBB, Petty, Spargo and Schache. All in runners. Melky weighted and change of angles work. Salem has his individual program. White cap (no contact), Howes, Woewodin and Sparrow

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    GALLANT by KC from Casey

    The world “gallant” is not one that is readily acceptable to losing teams in our game of football so when it was used in the context of the Casey Demons’ loss to Sandringham in yesterday’s match at Casey Fields, it left a bitter taste in the mouth.  The Demons went into the game against the St Kilda affiliated Zebras with the advantage of playing on their home turf (not that this has been a major asset in 2024) and with very little else going in their favour. The Saints have close to a full

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    MEANWHILE by Whispering Jack

    … meanwhile, at about the same time that Narrm was putting its feet on the accelerator to obliterate the long-suffering Euro-Yroke combination, I heard someone mention in passing that Kuwarna was leading Waalitj Marawar by a whopping 46 to 1 halfway through the second quarter of their game over in Adelaide. “What is football coming to?” I asked myself.  In front of my eyes, the Demons were smashing it through the midfield, forcing turnovers and getting the footy to their forwards who w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PREGAME: Rd 12 vs Fremantle

    The Demons head back on the road for the fourth time this season as the travel to Alice Springs to take on the Fremantle Dockers at Treager Park on Sunday afternoon. Who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 138

    PODCAST: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 27th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons victory at the MCG over the Saints in the Round 11. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 29

    VOTES: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    Captain Max Gawn has a considerable lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jake Lever make up the Top 5. Your votes for the win against the Saints. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 54

    POSTGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    After a very wasteful first half of footy the Demons ended up cruising to a clinical victory over the Saints by 38 points at the MCG and ultimately reclaimed a coveted spot in the Top 4.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 393

    GAMEDAY: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    It's Game Day and after 2 losses on the trot the Dees must win against the Saints today at the MCG to keep in touch with the Top 4. A loss today will see them drop out of the Top 8 for the first time since 2020.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 503

    HEAVEN OR HELL by The Oracle

    Clashes between Melbourne and St Kilda are often described as battles between the forces of heaven and hell. However, based on recent performances, it’s hard to get excited about the forthcoming match between these two sides. It would be fair to say that, at the moment, both of these teams are in the doldrums. The Demons have become the competition’s slow starters while the Saints are not only slow to begin, they’re not doing much of a job finishing off their games either. About the only th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...