Post Match Discussion - Preliminary Final

Demonland

I’m still optimistic about the future. Some of our handballs in the first half were the worst I’ve ever seen. Oliver and Harmes were ok. VDB tried, and Tmac was our only decent player early. 

We we will become better from here. Petracca needs to decide if he wants to be a gun or coast on talent. Maxxy was exhausted so I can’t fault him.

Brayshaw and a few others couldn’t handle the ball but with experience that should change.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Well what can I say, we saved our worst performance for our last match of the year. Much like the last couple of years I guess. It is what it is. 

I’m still damn proud of the boys, they brought back hunger and belief to our club, they played some truly inspiring footy at times, and we’ve got a core crop of players who will be together for a while. 

I see no point in dissecting the match, it was played on the Eagles terms from the get go. 

Instead I’ll just say thanks to the playing group for giving us joy and belief that we are building towards something. 

Bring on 2019 and I hope the Eagles smash the Pies next week!

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Get Hogan, Lever and recruit May. It obvious the club know it shortfall. The thing that pisses me is team like Eagles, Swans; Hawks just recycle through and you just can't ever see us beating these power clubs. Every time we bob up in the last 50 years there has been a power club that humiliates us. Will it ever change

West Coast finished 2nd for a reason. Today just wasnt our day. But the boys have had a taste of what is needed to take the extra step. They will use this experience and learn from it. 

Throw Hogan and Lever back in and it looks better. 

Lets face it a year ago when we lost against collingwood and we were all furious, if someone told us we would make the prelim the following year we would have taken it. 

Its still been an enjoyable year. 

Lets get Casey over the line tomorrow. 

• Like 10
  • Love 1

Let's look at this in isolation and holistically.

Holistic view:

This is the fifth year in a row we have improved our win total and we now have two finals wins under our belts. We can win nearly anywhere and have shown we can gut wins out.

We get Hogan (if he isn't traded) and Lever back next year which should stiffen our spine and hopefully another year's development into our team can make our ceiling go higher.

However, while not as bad as years past, we do have a bad habit of drinking our own bath water and going to sleep. The biggest examples of this were against Collingwood (who officially went past us that day) and Hawthorn. We also have issues with big isolated, power forwards. Our game plan relies on ball pressure through the middle and if that falls over, Oscar is not built to wrestle with the Kennedys, Coxs and Hawkins of this world.

In isolation:

We have just blown a huge opportunity in the most disappointing fashion. We have allowed teams starts before but you could tell that the ball just wasn't bouncing our way and it wasn't about being over awed. Today we were rabbits in the headlights.

Verdict: Next year will be an entirely different beast. Essendon started to get their act together. North have Polec and may well land Gaff. The Dogs may get Chad Wingard. There will be plenty of teams looking at finals. If we think we will get in again next year no questions then we will sh!? the bed worse than we did today. This needs to burn in our guts and we need to fight, scrap and claw every game next year to earn the right to get another shot at the opportunity we missed today.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

I'm gutted too (and as bad as this would have been to watch on TV it was a million times worse at the ground). But let's be realistic 

We've played 4 blinders in a row but finally hit the wall in the hardest possible challenge. 

And now it's time for some perspective. This was the first ever finals loss for 18 Melbourne players today. Also, Bayley Fritsch is the only Melbourne player to be undefeated in finals (of those who have actually played one). So we have that at least. 

Gutted but also proud, at the end of it all, out here in Perth. 

Edited by Chook
  • Like 6
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, chook fowler said:

I can forgive all except Jones and Lewis. 

Lewis was an f’n disgrace. He’s not a leaders a/hole. Pizz off and don’t darken the doors of our Club again.

I would be looking at Tyson as well.

The comment ‘boys against men’ was apt.

We had a couple of players that cost us big time - Lewis and Tyson.  They were not just bad, they were almost playing for the opposition.  There were very few positives in the first half.  We competed more in the second, but were still way off the pace.  A few players can hold their heads up, a few can think they tried.

The season is done.  We outperformed expectation, and hopefully this is the start of something, not a flash in the pan.

We need to make some critical team changes, including more outside silk and polish.  Without this, our crash and bash game style can be unpicked.  These ‘boys’ need to learn composure, and to stick to our game plan.  The tackle count and contested possession count were damning today.

Enjoy the flight home, fellas, and good luck to Casey. 

2 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

I can forgive all except Jones and Lewis. 

Lewis was an f’n disgrace. He’s not a leaders a/hole. Pizz off and don’t darken the doors of our Club again.

Stop beating around the bush chook and tell us what you really think!

• Haha 1

The fumbling and misfired handballs in the first half were so unlike us. We just couldn’t get our ball movement going and the opposition deserves credit for that. They did their homeworkL Fought it out in the second half. Could’ve rolled over. It’s not much but it’s something.

The booing of the crowd really is farcical. Barely a braincell between the lot of them. I’ll be cheering on the umpires next week.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jelly legs , falling over ,  cant hit a handball target that we hit all week .

The build up , the story , pressure on individuals , brains and bodies falling out .

we will be better for it and have learnt how in many situations this year , a huge step forward for our club .

remain classy demonland - .

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, layzie said:

Let the smoke settle. Gonna check out this wine tasting thing next to Fed.

I just walked through and had a bevvy, it was buzzing - made me feel human again haha

• Like 1

Talk about chaos football.

Captain Hone zero trackles is wrong. Very wrong.

Unfortunately not alone.

False dawn but we did well to get to a prelim. So sad we played so poorly.

I like Spargo but you cantvplay Afl if you cant  kick 30 m its goodbye.

Lewis and Tyson worst games ever.

Gawn the same.

Hannan great at Casey only.

Weid just too inexperience and back to hos old self.

Anb mia. Tackles well but not a ball getter.

Please revise are pregame routine.

Geez so long for a finals birth and we play like flogs.

Im sure they are gutted.

Eagles fans are seriously poor people. Whatever h appened to sportmanship?

They are unAustralian pices of excrement and I for one will being hoping Pies just smash them.

Thanks for a great season Dees.

• Like 4

Just now, Bates Mate said:

We went from Hunter to the hunted, with our two previous wins and all the sentiment wanting a Melbourne win. Didn't enter the game angry and hungry for the win the Eagles did game over

We beat them only a few weeks ago. Darling and Kennedy were NOT the difference. Viney was back we were on a roll. We had a bad day.

• Sad 1

Hard to watch, just wanted to say a big thank you for all thr fans that made the trip to Perth.

What will make me more than sad is if i see supporters giving up on us, we are back.

• Like 6
  • Love 1