Jump to content
  • Podcast: No Merger Podcast &      

Demonland

Post Match Discussion - Preliminary Final

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Thanks! Too many of our long suffering supporters accept close enough is good enough. We have to break that thinking. 

Yes 2018 was a great season, but far from  satisfying after what happened on Saturday. 

So how are you not going to "accept" it? Make a thousand more boring and critical posts on Demonland? Endlessly bring up our terrible recent history? Appear continually dissatisfied? Try to depress those supporters who have some optimism?

And a fat lot of good that will do for the actual team.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mauriesy said:

So how are you not going to "accept" it? Make a thousand more boring and critical posts on Demonland? Endlessly bring up our terrible recent history? Appear continually dissatisfied? Try to depress those supporters who have some optimism?

And a fat lot of good that will do for the actual team.

I will be dissatisfied until we win Flags. 

That’s what it is all about. That’s when 100,000 people roll up to our home ground and hold up the cup. 

Sorry if that is to hard to deal with...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I will be dissatisfied until we win Flags.

I'm sure the team will try extra hard knowing that SWYL is "dissatisfied" and that more missives on the poor history of the club are coming our way on Demonland.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mauriesy said:

I'm sure the team will try extra hard knowing that SWYL is "dissatisfied" and that more missives on the poor history of the club are coming our way on Demonland.

So should i change my attitude to suit your agenda?

you don’t have to read it, it doesn’t bother me at all. 

You are a keyboard with a name, as i am

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2018 at 10:46 AM, Sir Why You Little said:

Thanks! Too many of our long suffering supporters accept close enough is good enough. We have to break that thinking. 

Yes 2018 was a great season, but far from  satisfying after what happened on Saturday. 

Like last year, the club went to ground and didn't speak about the shocking rd 23 loss until briefly in the New Year. This horrendous loss seems to have been swept under the carpet as well altho TBH I am not sure what they can say. It's actions we need to see as Daniher says "when all is said and done, more is said than done"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Like last year, the club went to ground and didn't speak about the shocking rd 23 loss until briefly in the New Year. This horrendous loss seems to have been swept under the carpet as well altho TBH I am not sure what they can say. It's actions we need to see as Daniher says "when all is said and done, more is said than done"

If we aggressively trade for what we lack, i think that will go a long way to addressing the situation. 

Although I do hope something is said at the B & F

i know people who are still driving back from Perth, cost them a fortune! I understand you take the risk in a football match, but that first half should NEVER be in the equation. 

Edited by Sir Why You Little

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

If we aggressively trade for what we lack, i think that will go a long way to addressing the situation. 

Although I do hope something is said at the B & F

i know people who are still driving back from Perth, cost them a fortune! I understand you take the risk in a football match, but that first half should NEVER be in the equation. 

7 players gone so far plus  Kent makes 8 and maybe Garlett, Tyson (both my guess) to be traded out...that's a pretty big clean out for a team reaching a prelim.

I suspect more and more players will be nominating Melbourne as a destination which is a long overdue situation to be in....the NQRs of the past are getting less and less. Jason Taylor has proven to be a deft hand at fashioning good deals to get us what we need..

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

7 players gone so far plus  Kent makes 8 and maybe Garlett, Tyson (both my guess) to be traded out...that's a pretty big clean out for a team reaching a prelim.

I suspect more and more players will be nominating Melbourne as a destination which is a long overdue situation to be in....the NQRs of the past are getting less and less. Jason Taylor has proven to be a deft hand at fashioning good deals to get us what we need..

Yep agreed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shocker on Saturday, disappointing re tackles and terrible skills in turning the ball over! Eagles bullied Demon players and we didn’t do anything about it, we almost responded as if in shock.

For a first finals campaign, two good wins and a stinker. Assuming we learn from the result, another big pre season that will help the 23yo and unders, that should lead to another level of improvement. Every team gets pre season but I think the Demons have best batch of 23 and under players, so significant room for this to have an positive impact.

Trading to date, smart delistings, Kent’s best was very good but haven’t got to see it much over 5 years. What would help:

- Outside mid who is fast & skilled

- Nippy goal shark

- 2nd ruck, Preuss would be very good

- Possibly key defender ( If Lever comes back okay next year, maybe not) May would be great, but I wouldn’t be trading Hogan to get him

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an absolute stinker. The result and margin were not necessarily a surprise but the way it turned out was. Pre match I was nervous and felt we needed a hell of a lot to go right to win. The likely scenario was always a thumping if the Eagles could take away our CP and clearance strength. That said, it was shocking how quickly it was all over - West Coast weren’t even that good in first but we almost insisted on giving the ball back to them. The game was played on their terms from the outset in reality the game was over when we couldn’t kick at least a goal when there were a couple of opportunities in the first. Score a goal then even if we were being bossed and we’re about even or only a goal down and the whole team can lift. We just never established any foothold in the game and ended a really good season with a devastating loss.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Johnny Karate said:

Just an absolute stinker. The result and margin were not necessarily a surprise but the way it turned out was. Pre match I was nervous and felt we needed a hell of a lot to go right to win. The likely scenario was always a thumping if the Eagles could take away our CP and clearance strength. That said, it was shocking how quickly it was all over - West Coast weren’t even that good in first but we almost insisted on giving the ball back to them. The game was played on their terms from the outset in reality the game was over when we couldn’t kick at least a goal when there were a couple of opportunities in the first. Score a goal then even if we were being bossed and we’re about even or only a goal down and the whole team can lift. We just never established any foothold in the game and ended a really good season with a devastating loss.

Excellent analysis.

Losing the contested ball and our inability to tackle and stop their spread were obviously critical. But it was those terrible early turnovers that started the rot and I think maybe contributed to the other issues. 

But geez at the ground I have to say by the 20 min mark of the first q they looked cooked. - physically and mentally. Maxy was really struggling physically. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2018 at 8:34 AM, praha said:

No one gives a [censored] about that statistic mate. Pies scored 1.5 in a half vs Geelong in 2009. They lost by 80 points and then won the flag 12 months later.

I care about that statistic.
Over the years we've owned all the rubbish statistics.
Even took pride over the last couple years striking some off the list.
Then we go add new ones ...... In Prelim finals FFS.

No garuantee we'll even make the 8 next year.
I remember 2001.
Another crap statistic.

Edited by Fork 'em

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2018 at 11:59 AM, jnrmac said:

Like last year, the club went to ground and didn't speak about the shocking rd 23 loss until briefly in the New Year. This horrendous loss seems to have been swept under the carpet as well altho TBH I am not sure what they can say. It's actions we need to see as Daniher says "when all is said and done, more is said than done"

Yeah we didn’t learn anything from round 23 last year.

Just made a prelim the year after. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/25/2018 at 10:30 AM, Sir Why You Little said:

Who cares what Richmond are doing, you are trying to dilute a situation we created. 

To often we soften a problem by saying someone else was almost as bad. 

I want the MFC to be the best, i don’t care about other sides. 

We didn’t score a goal in the First Half last Saturday. Why did that happen and where did it start??

Commentators enthuse about the Chaos game of Doggies Tigers and Dees.

The fairy tale win after long period out of favour.

We may have been beaten by mathematics.

The Chaos theory  magic number is 4.669.

Played 4+ finals to get to preliminary. Needed strange attractor to create pert urban centres.

Can someone analyse the chains of handpass or kicks  which may have impacted on patterns?

I am hopeful that we have broken the finals pattern of single flag winners as we prepare for a sustained period of dominance with a settled group of young players who can create a new dynasty.

Its up to the coaching team led by Hardwick to inspire the playing group with this mathematical certitude.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can recommend watching the Cats Elimination Final over a few whiskeys. 

All is well with the world

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2018 at 7:03 PM, Fork 'em said:

I care about that statistic.
Over the years we've owned all the rubbish statistics.
Even took pride over the last couple years striking some off the list.
Then we go add new ones ...... In Prelim finals FFS.

No garuantee we'll even make the 8 next year.
I remember 2001.
Another crap statistic.

You know what everyone says about statistics right?

Fork 'em.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2018 at 3:21 PM, Sir Why You Little said:

I will be dissatisfied until we win Flags. 

That’s what it is all about. That’s when 100,000 people roll up to our home ground and hold up the cup. 

Sorry if that is to hard to deal with...

How many flags would you like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    OVERPOWERED by George on the Outer

    In a dismal display against Port Adelaide, Melbourne showed it had learnt nothing from their previous week’s loss to Brisbane. Port, in contrast, after losing to St.Kilda, addressed their failings, and as a result made the Demons look like a second-rate side.  Melbourne failed to score a goal in the first quarter, and the first time it seriously troubled the goal umpire was saved until a minute before half-time.  Did it get any better?  No with their meagre three goals for the sec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DESPERATION OF THE MOMENT by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne’s recent win against Hawthorn highlighted how important Max Gawn’s ruck domination is for the team. A week later however, that domination continued but its effect was totally blunted by the Brisbane Lions midfield and, as a consequence, what could have been an easy win over a leading AFL contender turned into a disappointing but close loss and a sense of desperation now looms over the club as the halfway mark of the season approaches. This week’s opponent in Port Adelaide also und

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE FOUR POINT FAIL by George on the Outer

    Melbourne went down by 4 points in a thrilling finish against Brisbane, but they failed by more than the 4 points.     They also failed to score the 4 points necessary to keep them in the race for the finals, and now find themselves sitting 6 points outside the top 8, but effectively 2 games outside (even though they have a game in hand).   The Demons had more than enough opportunities to win.  Six very easy shots on goal failed to bother the goal umpire with a major and ultimate

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NORTH OF THE BORDER PART 2 by The Oracle

    The travelling COVID circus moves north of the border yet again and, unless at some time in the near future, Papua New Guinea opens its borders, this could be the last time this phenomenon happens. And as fortune would dictate, the resurgent Demons are walking directly into the sights of the locals from the bright lights of Brizvegas to Carrara - the scene of some long-forgotten (and deservedly so) battles with one of the Lions’ former incarnations, namely, the Brisbane Bears. But unli

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ON THE NOSE by George on the Outer

    One of the Hawthorn Football Club’s valued sponsors is Azep® Nasal Spray and given the thrashing handed out to the Hawks in today’s game, it would appear that they need a huge supply of the sponsor’s product because they are simply on the nose. This condition was caused by the sheer dominance of the Demons, led magnificently by skipper Max Gawn with 27 hitouts and 22 disposals including two clearances. Around him in the middle were Christian Petracca with 29 touches, Clayton Oliver (also on

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PREMIER LEAGUE by Whispering Jack

    So the new man under the pump is Clarko, which demonstrates how sad but predictable the football media is these days. In an age where each AFL team’s form can be topsy turvy and unpredictability is the order of the day, the coach of a team that has played five out of the top six teams from the previous season and sits with a 3/3 win loss record is this week’s whipping boy.   This comes admittedly on the back of a bad fortnight from the Hawks who in recent years have exhibited an enormous

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SUNSMART by George on the Outer

    If you don’t want to get sunburnt, you follow the Sunsmart rules.  Melbourne took the advice and with their season on the line, avoided getting burnt by the Gold Coast Suns, with a gripping 17 point win. It was a match that could have gone either way, with the sides within a kick of each other for all but the final minutes of the final quarter. Melbourne had stretched the lead earlier in the game to 18 points, but that quickly evaporated to a neck and neck race to the finish.  Finally,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NORTH OF THE BORDER by The Oracle

    The outcomes of Melbourne’s recent games against the Gold Coast Suns are a pretty good barometer of how the teams are faring. The Demons easily accounted for them twice in 2018, the last win being a 96-point cakewalk at the MCG in Round 20 when they scored a whopping 21.17.143 to 7.5.47. Ironically, Melbourne’s score of 9.3.57 at the first break that afternoon is leading its highest score for a full game to date this year by 3 points. In those days, they played fast, skillful football, moved th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 5

    PACK YOUR BAGS by George on The Outer

    The scene was captured by the TV camera’s before the match with a view of the Melbourne side’s bags packed next to the team bus to facilitate their flight up north to the AFL hub where they will play their next matches. However, on the basis of the efforts against Richmond, unless things change, and change rapidly, there will be some who will be told to pack their bags on a more permanent basis. Once again, the supporters got much the same story from this match against Richmond, as

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SOUTH OF THE BORDER by the Oracle

    Thankfully they moved this week’s game from Sydney where the sun shines and the virus breeds ever so slowly and almost nobody returns a positive test. The change of fixture comes at precisely the right time to allow everyone in town to head to the MCG on Sunday at around 3:30pm, not to catch up with what’s going on inside the ground but rather, to do what’s fashionable for woke folk in 2020 — pulling down statues. It’s time for Kevin Bartlett and Leigh Matthews to go but you can’t touch Norm Smi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    LESSONS IN LOSING by George on the Outer

    Turn up for the game and look like you want to win it.  Melbourne lost this game to Geelong, a game after a couple of extended breaks, looking like they were at the end of a 22 game season. Right from the start there was a lack of intensity across the board, as the Demons played exactly the type of game that the ageing Geelong list wanted. Geelong repeatedly played possession footy, to avoid having to run those ageing legs, something that Melbourne failed to exploit.  To use the oft quot

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    QUARRANTINO by Whispering Jack

    At a little after 4.00pm last Saturday, the MCG ceased to be the centre of the AFL universe. That was when the AFL’s el supremo Gil McLaughlin announced that the Bombers’ Conor McKenna had returned a COVID-19 positive result and declared that the game set for the following day between Essendon and Melbourne was postponed.  What followed was truly the stuff of a pulp fiction novel. We witnessed a suitcase load of mental gymnastics and spin calculated to let McKenna (and the Essendon Football

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

×
×
  • Create New...