• Podcast: No Merger Podcast &      

Demonland

Post Match Discussion - Preliminary Final

6 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Thanks! Too many of our long suffering supporters accept close enough is good enough. We have to break that thinking. 

Yes 2018 was a great season, but far from  satisfying after what happened on Saturday. 

So how are you not going to "accept" it? Make a thousand more boring and critical posts on Demonland? Endlessly bring up our terrible recent history? Appear continually dissatisfied? Try to depress those supporters who have some optimism?

And a fat lot of good that will do for the actual team.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, mauriesy said:

So how are you not going to "accept" it? Make a thousand more boring and critical posts on Demonland? Endlessly bring up our terrible recent history? Appear continually dissatisfied? Try to depress those supporters who have some optimism?

And a fat lot of good that will do for the actual team.

I will be dissatisfied until we win Flags. 

That’s what it is all about. That’s when 100,000 people roll up to our home ground and hold up the cup. 

Sorry if that is to hard to deal with...

15 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I'm sure the team will try extra hard knowing that SWYL is "dissatisfied" and that more missives on the poor history of the club are coming our way on Demonland.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mauriesy said:

I'm sure the team will try extra hard knowing that SWYL is "dissatisfied" and that more missives on the poor history of the club are coming our way on Demonland.

So should i change my attitude to suit your agenda?

you don’t have to read it, it doesn’t bother me at all. 

You are a keyboard with a name, as i am

On 9/25/2018 at 10:46 AM, Sir Why You Little said:

Thanks! Too many of our long suffering supporters accept close enough is good enough. We have to break that thinking. 

Yes 2018 was a great season, but far from  satisfying after what happened on Saturday. 

Like last year, the club went to ground and didn't speak about the shocking rd 23 loss until briefly in the New Year. This horrendous loss seems to have been swept under the carpet as well altho TBH I am not sure what they can say. It's actions we need to see as Daniher says "when all is said and done, more is said than done"

8 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Like last year, the club went to ground and didn't speak about the shocking rd 23 loss until briefly in the New Year. This horrendous loss seems to have been swept under the carpet as well altho TBH I am not sure what they can say. It's actions we need to see as Daniher says "when all is said and done, more is said than done"

If we aggressively trade for what we lack, i think that will go a long way to addressing the situation. 

Although I do hope something is said at the B & F

i know people who are still driving back from Perth, cost them a fortune! I understand you take the risk in a football match, but that first half should NEVER be in the equation. 

Edited by Sir Why You Little

15 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

If we aggressively trade for what we lack, i think that will go a long way to addressing the situation. 

Although I do hope something is said at the B & F

i know people who are still driving back from Perth, cost them a fortune! I understand you take the risk in a football match, but that first half should NEVER be in the equation. 

7 players gone so far plus  Kent makes 8 and maybe Garlett, Tyson (both my guess) to be traded out...that's a pretty big clean out for a team reaching a prelim.

I suspect more and more players will be nominating Melbourne as a destination which is a long overdue situation to be in....the NQRs of the past are getting less and less. Jason Taylor has proven to be a deft hand at fashioning good deals to get us what we need..

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

7 players gone so far plus  Kent makes 8 and maybe Garlett, Tyson (both my guess) to be traded out...that's a pretty big clean out for a team reaching a prelim.

I suspect more and more players will be nominating Melbourne as a destination which is a long overdue situation to be in....the NQRs of the past are getting less and less. Jason Taylor has proven to be a deft hand at fashioning good deals to get us what we need..

Yep agreed

Shocker on Saturday, disappointing re tackles and terrible skills in turning the ball over! Eagles bullied Demon players and we didn’t do anything about it, we almost responded as if in shock.

For a first finals campaign, two good wins and a stinker. Assuming we learn from the result, another big pre season that will help the 23yo and unders, that should lead to another level of improvement. Every team gets pre season but I think the Demons have best batch of 23 and under players, so significant room for this to have an positive impact.

Trading to date, smart delistings, Kent’s best was very good but haven’t got to see it much over 5 years. What would help:

- Outside mid who is fast & skilled

- Nippy goal shark

- 2nd ruck, Preuss would be very good

- Possibly key defender ( If Lever comes back okay next year, maybe not) May would be great, but I wouldn’t be trading Hogan to get him

Just an absolute stinker. The result and margin were not necessarily a surprise but the way it turned out was. Pre match I was nervous and felt we needed a hell of a lot to go right to win. The likely scenario was always a thumping if the Eagles could take away our CP and clearance strength. That said, it was shocking how quickly it was all over - West Coast weren’t even that good in first but we almost insisted on giving the ball back to them. The game was played on their terms from the outset in reality the game was over when we couldn’t kick at least a goal when there were a couple of opportunities in the first. Score a goal then even if we were being bossed and we’re about even or only a goal down and the whole team can lift. We just never established any foothold in the game and ended a really good season with a devastating loss.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Johnny Karate said:

Just an absolute stinker. The result and margin were not necessarily a surprise but the way it turned out was. Pre match I was nervous and felt we needed a hell of a lot to go right to win. The likely scenario was always a thumping if the Eagles could take away our CP and clearance strength. That said, it was shocking how quickly it was all over - West Coast weren’t even that good in first but we almost insisted on giving the ball back to them. The game was played on their terms from the outset in reality the game was over when we couldn’t kick at least a goal when there were a couple of opportunities in the first. Score a goal then even if we were being bossed and we’re about even or only a goal down and the whole team can lift. We just never established any foothold in the game and ended a really good season with a devastating loss.

Excellent analysis.

Losing the contested ball and our inability to tackle and stop their spread were obviously critical. But it was those terrible early turnovers that started the rot and I think maybe contributed to the other issues. 

But geez at the ground I have to say by the 20 min mark of the first q they looked cooked. - physically and mentally. Maxy was really struggling physically. 

• Like 2

On 9/24/2018 at 8:34 AM, praha said:

No one gives a [censored] about that statistic mate. Pies scored 1.5 in a half vs Geelong in 2009. They lost by 80 points and then won the flag 12 months later.

I care about that statistic.
Over the years we've owned all the rubbish statistics.
Even took pride over the last couple years striking some off the list.
Then we go add new ones ...... In Prelim finals FFS.

No garuantee we'll even make the 8 next year.
I remember 2001.
Another crap statistic.

Edited by Fork 'em

On 9/26/2018 at 11:59 AM, jnrmac said:

Yeah we didn’t learn anything from round 23 last year.

Just made a prelim the year after. 

• Like 2

On 9/25/2018 at 10:30 AM, Sir Why You Little said:

Who cares what Richmond are doing, you are trying to dilute a situation we created. 

To often we soften a problem by saying someone else was almost as bad. 

I want the MFC to be the best, i don’t care about other sides. 

We didn’t score a goal in the First Half last Saturday. Why did that happen and where did it start??

Commentators enthuse about the Chaos game of Doggies Tigers and Dees.

The fairy tale win after long period out of favour.

We may have been beaten by mathematics.

The Chaos theory  magic number is 4.669.

Played 4+ finals to get to preliminary. Needed strange attractor to create pert urban centres.

Can someone analyse the chains of handpass or kicks  which may have impacted on patterns?

I am hopeful that we have broken the finals pattern of single flag winners as we prepare for a sustained period of dominance with a settled group of young players who can create a new dynasty.

Its up to the coaching team led by Hardwick to inspire the playing group with this mathematical certitude.

Can recommend watching the Cats Elimination Final over a few whiskeys. 

All is well with the world

On 9/26/2018 at 7:03 PM, Fork 'em said:

I care about that statistic.
Over the years we've owned all the rubbish statistics.
Even took pride over the last couple years striking some off the list.
Then we go add new ones ...... In Prelim finals FFS.

No garuantee we'll even make the 8 next year.
I remember 2001.
Another crap statistic.

You know what everyone says about statistics right?

Fork 'em.

On 9/25/2018 at 3:21 PM, Sir Why You Little said:

That’s what it is all about. That’s when 100,000 people roll up to our home ground and hold up the cup. 

Sorry if that is to hard to deal with...

How many flags would you like?