Training - Tuesday 4th September, 2018

Demonland

Just to clarify in case anyone did not see the Spargo interview:

Said he was feeling tired towards the closing of the year and then Misso eased off training for first year players, which helped him and Fritter freshen up. Also said the bye was at the right time and he's ready to go.

No way is he "cooked" or needs a rest after a bye.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Spargo, Hannan, Smith, JKH, Viney   all did the full session this morning

Lewis did the full session also

Did Tyson complete the full session?

Dropped by training this morning, got there late but the whole squad was doing ball work drills then they split out the Casey squad for the firsts to do 3/4 ground contested ball movement drill. I noted that both Hannan and J Smith did not participate. Tyson and JKH were with the firsts. 

If there are no injuries and Tyson gets up I am predicting one change Viney for Kent. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

1 minute ago, Earl Hood said:

Dropped by training this morning, got there late but the whole squad was doing ball work drills then they split out the Casey squad for the firsts to do 3/4 ground contested ball movement drill. I noted that both Hannan and J Smith did not participate. Tyson and JKH were with the firsts. 

If there are no injuries and Tyson gets up I am predicting one change Viney for Kent. 

They did play for Casey, so maybe they just have a lighter program this week, or were they doing similar work with the Casey guys? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

6 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

So, one is right (re. Hannan and Smith), the other isn't.

Given Ben Guthrie also confirmed that Smith or Hannan didn't do the full session, I'm going to lean toward Earl's observations.

11 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Sorry Tyson did full session, had his arm covered, so couldn't see a guard etc

Got distracted whilst typing first post

Really good upbeat session

Rehab was Kent, Vince, Baker, Maynard, Filipovic

Vince and Baker ready to go next week

That's great news for Bernie as it will get him in the VFL semi.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Demon Disciple said:

This is September, where we need 22 contributors.

Neither Joel Smith nor Spargo would be in my 22

what do you think the coaches see in Spargo, that you don't out of curiousity?

There was conversation last week that indicated that Viney could spend a bit of time up forward, which I took to indicate more that they might limit his midfield minutes, more than him playing as a forward.

My prediction:

Out: Kent and JKH

In: Viney and Hannan

JKH did play well against GWS, but came in as an emergency for Hannan at the last minute, Hannan proved his fitness and had a very strong game in the VFL, and wisely managed his minutes . 

JKH  will be unlucky to miss, but that could be said for a number of players at the moment.

• Like 2

Beautiful September morning, thanks to the supporters, the crowd continued to grow as the session progressed, maybe 300 there. Plenty of MFC staff in attendance.

The squad was very vocal.

Rehab had Oskar Baker (looking closer to playing), Lachlan Filipovic, Corey Maynard and Bernie Vince. Bernie told a few he is a good chance to play next week (probably at Casey). Dean kent joined later and was running laps.

Jack Viney training well. Dom Tyson wearing a long sleeved jumper but not much of a guard showing, he protected his arm a little bit but did a full session. Jordan Lewis trained well, near the end he did a few extra laps. 

Cam Pedersen was working with the forwards. Plenty of goal kicking for the forwards.

The mids did some boundary drills and then joined the forwards for some hit up work, delivering the ball from outside 50 to leads.

Backs mainly looking for links along the boundary and later creating a 3rd man peeling away to impact the one on one contest when the ball came in.

The drills with the mixed group involved some soft one on one contests, ending in a linking player who had a kick at goal. All were involved.

Plenty of kicking drills for everyone, getting them to kick to advantage with "stick" men acting as the opposition or kicking the ball after work on the wings to a leading forward.

The simulations seemed to be a competitive without having hard contest. They were finding the player out the back of the pack, getting the extra defender to the one on one, taking some contested marks and creating overlaps. During the simulations, the Casey squad ran some laps (included was Mitch Hannan and Jayden Hunt). Joel Smith was in the simulations.

There was some intense tackling drills between Charlie Spargo and Jay Kennedy Harris, then between Alex Neal-Bullen and Christian Petracca. Coach was giving them some detailed instructions for their techniques.

None appeared to be carrying any niggles. The week off has helped. They are up and about.

Plenty of joy in squad.
Go Dees,
From kev Martin

• Like 33
  • Thanks 8
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, binman said:

If Tyson plays then kent is the only injury. Viney comes in for kent. they won't need to drop anyone for Tyson.

But as i've noted elsewhere my strong suspicion is that they will select Hannan, mots likely at the expense of JKH (who would be very unlucky).

Smith would be a curve ball. They would have to drop someone else and the only person at risk of being dropped is Spartacus, i would have thought.

But do they want to make 3 changes to aside that played so well?

Hannan's last game kicked 3 goals against WC in Perth, be very surprised if he's not selected. In Viney Hannan, out Kent JKH.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

Viney for Kent a given

Interesting on the JKH or Spargo question... For Hannan. If Spargo is (or was) cooked, then I think he is a big risk at being the second out - leaving JKH in.

Looking at the stats of the last 4 weeks. (JKH missed the WCE game, and Spargo played all 4). JKH average stats are clearly better than Spargo in Disposals / Tackles / Pressure Acts. And Spargo only managed goals against Gold Coast. I don't think it's clear cut that Spargo retains his spot.

Interesting from Jones above - Is Tyson / Viney both in upsetting the midfield balance? Perhaps Tyson rested makes way for Hannan

As for Smith - it would be a big call to drop a forward / small to include a tall / back - I don't see who we drop for Smith

JKH has got a bigger tank at this stage and holds his tackles.

• Like 1

Viney for Kent a given

Interesting on the JKH or Spargo question... For Hannan. If Spargo is (or was) cooked, then I think he is a big risk at being the second out - leaving JKH in.

Looking at the stats of the last 4 weeks. (JKH missed the WCE game, and Spargo played all 4). JKH average stats are clearly better than Spargo in Disposals / Tackles / Pressure Acts. And Spargo only managed goals against Gold Coast. I don't think it's clear cut that Spargo retains his spot.

Interesting from Jones above - Is Tyson / Viney both in upsetting the midfield balance? Perhaps Tyson rested makes way for Hannan

As for Smith - it would be a big call to drop a forward / small to include a tall / back - I don't see who we drop for Smith

Spargo, for someone who was cooked, had several goal assists last game and now has had a week off. Won't be dropped

• Like 3
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, 000 said:

Beautiful September morning, thanks to the supporters, the crowd continued to grow as the session progressed, maybe 300 there. Plenty of MFC staff in attendance.

Rehab had Oskar Baker (looking closer to playing), Lachlan Filipovic, Corey Maynard and Bernie Vince. Bernie told a few he is a good chance to play next week (probably at Casey). Dean kent joined later and was running laps.

Jack Viney training well. Dom Tyson wearing a long sleeved jumper but not much of a guard showing, he protected his arm a little bit but did a full session. Jordan Lewis trained well, near the end he did a few extra laps. 

Cam Pedersen was working with the forwards. Plenty of goal kicking for the forwards.

The mids did some boundary drills and then joined the forwards for some hit up work, delivering the ball from outside 50 to leads.

Backs mainly looking for links along the boundary and later creating a 3rd man peeling away to impact the one on one contest when the ball came in.

The drills with the mixed group involved some soft one on one contests, ending in a linking player who had a kick at goal. All were involved.

Plenty of kicking drills for everyone, getting them to kick to advantage with "stick" men acting as the opposition or kicking the ball after work on the wings to a leading forward.

The simulations seemed to be a competitive without having hard contest. They were finding the player out the back of the pack, getting the extra defender to the one on one, taking some contested marks and creating overlaps. During the simulations, the Casey squad ran some laps (included was Mitch Hannan and Jayden Hunt). Joel Smith was in the simulations.

There was some intense tackling drills between Charlie Spargo and Jay Kennedy Harris, then between Alex Neal-Bullen and Christian Petracca. Coach was giving them some detailed instructions for their techniques.

None appeared to be carrying any niggles. The week off has helped. They are up and about.

Plenty of joy in squad. 
Go Dees,
From kev Martin

Another great training report Big Kev, interesting about Hannan running around with casey and Smithy joining in the simulations.

Interesting.

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Satyriconhome said:

Cheers Saty. Glad were back to the training thread!

I wonder if Vince would have played if fit?   I imagine he would have come in for JKH.

I am not sure Tyson can play this soon after a broken arm, it will be a brutal contest.

so I reckon Viney, Hannan IN and Tyson, Kent OUT

• Like 2

Spargo must be exhausted after "needing a rest" for the past 16 weeks!!

he is 100% in the team this week, no doubt.

he impacts each contest he gets to and sets up goals very well. hope he can get some length into his kicking over the preseason and he will be a beauty

• Like 4

Viney for Kent a given

Viney for kent, are you assuming viney spends more time forward? Bringing in two a inside mid for a forward(jkh is more forward than viney) I think he and oliver will rotate through there a bit more if these are the selections for team balance. Viney would be good on touhy.

JKH plays that midfield forward role so hannan would be an upgrade for a chance at more goals. 

Where i think the out of the blue selection may be is

hannan for kent

Viney for tyson, forget the forward roll mid for mid, keeping the balance.

Smith for JKH smith to play as a defensive forward on stewart or Taylor or who ever is floating around killing our forward entries. Gives the flexibility to throw him back and swap fritsch as well. And hogans not playing so he can't get in his way.

Edited by scarlett
Spelling

7 hours ago, 000 said:

Hi Kev

interesting comment on J Smith participating in the firsts squad simulations. When they first split out the Casey players I definitely noted that 44 JSmith and Hannan were in the group running laps. Was Smith taken back out of the Casey group to participate after their first lap? Must admit I was diverted by a conversation for half that simulation drill.