WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - BRAYDON PREUSS

What

2 minutes ago, FireInTheBelly said:

I'm not so sure. If you set up properly, that clearance we all love (not) of just throwing it on the boot forward, only to be intercepted by the spare in defense, may just become a weapon. 2 talls about 40m out on 45 degree-ish angles to go pretty much one on one. Moloney would've loved it.

Just thinking out loud, but I reckon there'll be quite a few goals scored in quick time with that rule. I can see why broadcasters want it, but I'd say the football community will blow up and it'll only last a year.

I think coaches will counter this by making sure they try and force a stoppage straight away to allow to push players back if getting beaten. Just my thoughts, who bloody knows, I wouldn't have brought in this rule in the first place!

15 hours ago, Demon17 said:

And its a smart 10 year decision. Maxys 26 ish. Preuss is 23. This will add 3 years on maxys playing life and give our gun midfield team top service for that period too.

If Max keeps going and playing as hard as he has, he'll be done by the age of 30.

Very smart bit of business by the recruitment committee.

Edited by Win4theAges
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, SFebes said:

I think coaches will counter this by making sure they try and force a stoppage straight away to allow to push players back if getting beaten. Just my thoughts, who bloody knows, I wouldn't have brought in this rule in the first place!

For sure, sounds like a good tactic for a side with concerns over their defense. Won't that be a great spectacle, another 30 stoppages per game.

Stupid rule, we're not playing netball. It's a massive change to the game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FireInTheBelly said:

For sure, sounds like a good tactic for a side with concerns over their defense. Won't that be a great spectacle, another 30 stoppages per game.

Yep I'm with ya mate. I just wish they'd fix the rules they introduced first before going for more.

• Like 2

With all the talk of potential rule changes, the one that I've not seen discussed much is a further reduction in interchange rotations. Should that happen (and I still think it will), it will discourage clubs from giving their key position players and ruckmen time on the bench so as to reserve the quota for the hard running players. That would mean resting a ruckman in the forward line might return. That, in turn, means developing ruckman as true forwards so instead of spending about 5 minutes off the ball in each quarter on the bench (as Gawn did this year) they would spend more like 10 minutes off the ball but in the forward line instead. Under this scenario I can see why we might want Preuss and why Preuss might come to us.

In essence, everything old would be new again perhaps best described in this thread as "Remembrance of Things Past".  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

With all the talk of potential rule changes, the one that I've not seen discussed much is a further reduction in interchange rotations. Should that happen (and I still think it will), it will discourage clubs from giving their key position players and ruckmen time on the bench so as to reserve the quota for the hard running players. That would mean resting a ruckman in the forward line might return. That, in turn, means developing ruckman as true forwards so instead of spending about 5 minutes off the ball in each quarter on the bench (as Gawn did this year) they would spend more like 10 minutes off the ball but in the forward line instead. Under this scenario I can see why we might want Preuss and why Preuss might come to us.

In essence, everything old would be new again perhaps best described in this thread as "Remembrance of Things Past".  

Yes this is very true. I was going to post earlier in regards to why Pruess would even consider Melbourne I think you have answered a potential reason why both player and club would be interested. There is a greater need for two ruckman. 

Along with potential rule/interchange changes you only need to look as far as the last two teams left playing in the GF. Both teams play with two ruckman (I know Cox is predominantly forward). It definitely gives you more options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Love the idea of more animals in the side.

Been through the bad years of seeing our kids get bashed around every week. Preuss would add an agressive dimension deep forward and also around the ground.

I like the idea.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, faultydet said:

Love the idea of more animals in the side.

Been through the bad years of seeing our kids get bashed around every week. Preuss would add an agressive dimension deep forward and also around the ground.

I like the idea.

Something really nice for the MFC to have another animal in the side. Vanders, in the very short term, has done a lovely job in that regard and now with a 'buddy', things may well be a little less pressing. Of course, Viney might well think it an asset to his game and it may stimulate Petracca to throw around some muscle at the minions...

1 minute ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Something really nice for the MFC to have another animal in the side. Vanders, in the very short term, has done a lovely job in that regard and now with a 'buddy', things may well be a little less pressing. Of course, Viney might well think it an asset to his game and it may stimulate Petracca to throw around some muscle at the minions...

Petracca is more of a smartass than a hard man.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I know this sounds ludicrous as he's the best ruckman on the planet, but I wonder if Max could become our Mason Cox and transition to more of a fwd ruck. God knows he can clunk a mark. Just needs to sort the kicking out. Imagine Gawn going into the guts as second ruck.

Edited by leucopogon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

4 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

I don't know anything about this bloke except that he's a big bastard.

Can he play forward?

Can he mark and kick a goal?

We will soon find out. I reckon this bloke will be the biggest story out of our trade period once it’s all over though, including  the Hogan trade. The Eagles can still afford to play two insignificant Ruckmen every game and still make the grand final. We will have two ruckmen better than theirs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If people fear that we could play too many talls next season i would say it doesn't matter how tall you are as long as you can play. Do you think Carlton think i wish Cripps wasn't 196cm tall? Hogan, T.Mac and Gawn can all play and are big boys. I'm sure the club believe Preuss can follow the same steps Maxy did.

• Like 1

”My favourite ruck man against my least favourite team mate.” - Max Gawn

So he’s already got the big #11’s stamp of approval.

And at 23, he’s the PERFECT age.

Edited by wise
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

On 9/26/2018 at 10:04 AM, FireInTheBelly said:

Mo has left the building...........

• Haha 1

On 9/26/2018 at 1:03 AM, Win4theAges said:

If Max keeps going and playing as hard as he has, he'll be done by the age of 30.

Very smart bit of business by the recruitment committee.

It’s a good point you make, if you look at how WC managed Cox into his later years he spent more time forward while NicNat started to take the reigns. Could be a situation they envisage and have pitched to Preuss. 

Early days Max is the main man with Bayden playing a forward/ruck role before they start to switch over the other way. 

• Love 1

12 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

He hasn’t been playing as he lacks the fitness to run out a game and he doesn’t impact repeat contests 

Hell have to learn how

Hopefully he can be Strawbs to Maxy’s Jimmy 

Or maybe Crossy gets him in his Cross-Hairs?  a superfit Preusst would trouble a lot of defences ?  a big lad...  Mummy on speed.