Brendan McCartney & Cooney/Bulldogs situation

SFebes

BM is highly skills in certain areas. The club hopefully has identified that and use it to our advantage.  As for disagreements between coaches I'm sure it happens as they esp. in coaching will have firm views on how to best succeed. Are they robust conversations or augments, it can look very different to na outsider witnessing the same exchange.

SG isn't listening to his assistants and doesn't agree with them he should change them as what are they bringing to the club?  Also I imagine the pressure on one the whole coaching team to get us out of our current hole. 

On 8/5/2018 at 11:49 AM, Johnny Karate said:

I don’t doubt McCarteney had issues at the Bulldogs. However I know somebody who worked for them and felt that Cooney wasn’t professional or a good influence on the group. McCartney was highly regarded at Geelong before the gig at the Dogs.

I imagine Maca doesn't mince his words. with other coaches or with players.

I sense, a real strait shooter is Maca.

Some people do not like hearing the truth, of what others think of them,  and about how they go about things.

• Like 3

He was part of Geelongs golden era and received rave reviews.

Got shafted by a bunch of soft [censored] at the Dogs and seemingly looking at the same at the Demons. 

But by all means let’s keep up the search for a scape goat and avoid pointing the finger at the players pissweak performances. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

For those close to the Club-What do our kids say about him and who is an example of his development skills. Not criticising him but struggle to find players who have greatly improved recently.

3 hours ago, Hell Bent said:

Tom  Morris reporting on On The Couch there are issues resurfacing which were discussed last year with Brendan McCartney.

Disconnect between some of the players and coaches with him including Goodwin. 

He mentioned he is a backline coach in conjunction with Chaplin,  that's the first I've heard of that.

Ah of course. Classic Melbourne.

7 hours ago, McQueen said:

Got shafted by a bunch of soft [censored] at the Dogs and seemingly looking at the same at the Demons. 

But by all means let’s keep up the search for a scape goat and avoid pointing the finger at the players pissweak performances. 

This.

And funny enough the article eas by none other then Adam Cooney who is one of the biggest dead beats going around. The bloke was toxic towards their culture and a bad influence on the younger players.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

This.

And funny enough the article eas by none other then Adam Cooney who is one of the biggest dead beats going around. The bloke was toxic towards their culture and a bad influence on the younger players.

I find Cooney one of the least insightful special comments men in the media and just very irritating.

He takes talking s..... to a whole new level.

I find myself switching off or turning the dial when I hear his voice.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, rjay said:

I find Cooney one of the least insightful special comments men in the media and just very irritating.

He takes talking s..... to a whole new level.

I find myself switching off or turning the dial when I hear his voice.

I simply cannot believe he has a paid gig on SEN. Adds nothing insightful at all.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Redleg said:

If what Morris said about the players returning after Xmas in poor condition is true, I could imagine McCartney paying out on them. He would tell it as it is and maybe they don’t like hearing it.

And if he did tell them all about it, he did the right thing.  Absolutely no way that sort of behaviour should be tolerated.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

And if he did tell them all about it, he did the right thing.  Absolutely no way that sort of behaviour should be tolerated.

Morris is a Dees fan and I don't think he would go with this players unfit story unless he had some good intel on it.

Maybe the Coaches are deflecting after the media wide condemnation of our game plan, who knows.

If true however and if it is not because of surgeries as has been stated, then it is an indictment on the playing group and the leadership.

You talk about culture, there it is in front of you, a lack of total commitment to success, IF TRUE.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Redleg said:

Morris is a Dees fan and I don't think he would go with this unless he had some good intel on it.

Maybe the Coaches are deflecting after the media wide condemnation of our game plan, who knows.

If true however and if it is not because of surgeries as has been stated, then it is an indictment on the playing group and the leadership.

You talk about culture, there it is in front of you, a lack of total commitment to success, IF TRUE.

I know someone related to McCartney and I can find out a little more info around this on the weekend.  It's really the only sort of inside info I'll ever have, but it's pretty solid, so I'll see what I can dig up around this.

One thing I've heard in the past is we still had too many of the younger players who just didn't work hard enough.  One in particular was Petracca.  On the flip side, McCartney was always glowing with his praise of how hard Jesse Hogan worked on the track.  I still think there are a few players who are relying on talent alone and not doing the hard yards.

Again, I'll see what I can find out on the weekend.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

8 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

For those close to the Club-What do our kids say about him and who is an example of his development skills. Not criticising him but struggle to find players who have greatly improved recently.

Are you trolling? I think maybe you are. 

The most obvious examples last year were Brayshaw and Harmes.

Edited by A F
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Morris is a Dees fan and I don't think he would go with this players unfit story unless he had some good intel on it.

I’m not sure that anyone at Melbourne speaks to Tom Morris. It was him who broke a story about Goodwin last year - whilst being employed by the club as one of the podcast presenters - and didn’t have the balls to turn up to the podcast the following week, when Goodwin was the guest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I know someone related to McCartney and I can find out a little more info around this on the weekend.  It's really the only sort of inside info I'll ever have, but it's pretty solid, so I'll see what I can dig up around this.

One thing I've heard in the past is we still had too many of the younger players who just didn't work hard enough.  One in particular was Petracca.  On the flip side, McCartney was always glowing with his praise of how hard Jesse Hogan worked on the track.  I still think there are a few players who are relying on talent alone and not doing the hard yards.

Again, I'll see what I can find out on the weekend.

Ok.

I think we can say that the teams that have beaten us have pace and have been manic in their attack on the ball and willingness to run to make position. We seem to be always chasing on the spread.

This will be funny as I am not a fan of ANB, with his skill errors, but as others have said he does run hard all day. I watched Spargo pretty closely and he appeared to be jogging to a contest and choosing not to tackle or get involved on several occasions. That was not how he played last year. I hope this is not a cultural thing. 

Most likely our poor start is a combination of injuries, poor form, fitness, commitment, confidence, pace, skill and a game style that requires the maximum in fitness and desire.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, praha said:

Ah of course. Classic Melbourne.

Or, perhaps, classic media smelling a soft target and piling on in hope of blood spilling?

9 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Most likely our poor start is a combination of injuries, poor form, fitness, commitment, confidence, pace, skill and a game style that requires the maximum in fitness and desire.

If that's all it is, as soon as we have fixed those few things, we'll be flying again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, McQueen said:

10 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

Ray (slug) Jordan wouldn't last a week,  in today's  'namby-pamby'  styles.

But he trained Winners.  He sorted the chaff out of the wheat.  And players grew or they failed.   No If's but's maybe's. 

This is Elite sport happening here....    its not 'Berry Street'.

We are the Demons.   Not, the Fuscia's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A F said:

Are you trolling? I think maybe you are. 

The most obvious examples last year were Brayshaw and Harmes.

In light of this years player performance and attitudes to fitness what would make you say I am trolling. Yes I will give you Harmes and perhaps Brayshaw who was a very low pick and highly talented., but that was last year. Give me some examples  from this year

10 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

By recently do you mean since 1964 or in that last 15 minutes? Last year there were a few improvers, if you mean this year, the whole side has gone backwards.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, McQueen said:

So did Mark Neeld at Collingwood.  Big deal.

Ask Kobe Stevens about how he managed his milestone game. 

There's a bit of smoke, but you can keep playing with daddy's fuel can.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ManDee said:

By recently do you mean since 1964 or in that last 15 minutes? Last year there were a few improvers, if you mean this year, the whole side has gone backwards.

I remember Big Maxy Walker improving in the ruck before he went to cricket. Dont think we had a development coach then though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ManDee said:

More seriously though regardless of team performance how is it possible that some players do not show considerable improvement from one season to the next. As John Kenneddy said, "just do something" improve your strength, your speed, your left foot, your handball., your tackling, the list is endless. At least then we supporters can say, 'he did something" 

• Like 2