• Podcast: Jayden Hunt Interview &      

SFebes

Brendan McCartney & Cooney/Bulldogs situation

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/08/05/cooney-explains-fractured-relationship-with-bulldogs-coach-mccartney/

McCartney has always had the Dogs issues hang over his head, here is just one side. I thought the issues he had were just with the old guys, but sounds like it was the kids as well.

“By the end, he didn’t connect with the younger players.

“There were times at the club where younger players didn’t want to come to training and they were confining us and talking about their relationship and everything that was going on at the football club.

“I know at one stage there was a group of parents who sat down with Simon Garlick and the board to express their concerns about what was happening, because their kids were saying they didn’t want to go to training.

“That’s where the warning lights were flashing loud and clear for me.”

Edited by MSFebey

I don’t doubt McCarteney had issues at the Bulldogs. However I know somebody who worked for them and felt that Cooney wasn’t professional or a good influence on the group. McCartney was highly regarded at Geelong before the gig at the Dogs.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Johnny Karate said:

I don’t doubt McCarteney had issues at the Bulldogs. However I know somebody who worked for them and felt that Cooney wasn’t professional or a good influence on the group. McCartney was highly regarded at Geelong before the gig at the Dogs.

I think clubs pump up their own assistants if they're looking to coach. Cats - McCartney, Collingwood - Neeld, Watters, Richardson etc.

Cooney does seem like a larrikin so would believe that for sure. Always two sides to every story.

25 minutes ago, MSFebey said:

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/08/05/cooney-explains-fractured-relationship-with-bulldogs-coach-mccartney/

McCartney has always had the Dogs issues hang over his head, here is just one side. I thought the issues he had were just with the old guys, but sounds like it was the kids as well.

“By the end, he didn’t connect with the younger players.

“There were times at the club where younger players didn’t want to come to training and they were confining us and talking about their relationship and everything that was going on at the football club.

“I know at one stage there was a group of parents who sat down with Simon Garlick and the board to express their concerns about what was happening, because their kids were saying they didn’t want to go to training.

“That’s where the warning lights were flashing loud and clear for me.”

Look at the mess the players were are over there;  so self centred.  

And some want to point the finger at McCartney...  seriously, I know who I trust Re their judgement. 

And so say the former Geelong stars who wanted to go to work with Brendon.

Maybe this was a club culture issue more, than anything?

• Like 1

I wouldn't pay attention to any of this dribble, Dogs were a rabble. 

I'd listen to people who were in a succesful environment(Geelong) over a shambolic environment (Western Bulldogs).

Cooney just bitter the way he left, didnt want to train his knee's were shot.

Hardly consider Cooney the model judge of character. Heard some alarming things there.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Win4theAges said:

I wouldn't pay attention to any of this dribble, Dogs were a rabble. 

I'd listen to people who were in a succesful environment(Geelong) over a shambolic environment (Western Bulldogs).

Cooney just bitter the way he left, didnt want to train his knee's were shot.

And 2 years after McCartney left they became a rabble again in 2017.  Still are.  Not necessarily the coaches - Club culture, I reckon.  Coaches come and go.  Culture just hangs around.

Along the way there was a two year hiatus when they managed to fluke a premiership.  

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

Read one ex Cat Premiership player - nominated McCartney as”biggest influence on my career”. 

Played under Bomber and Sook. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

And 2 years after McCartney left they became a rabble again in 2017.  Still are.  Not necessarily the coaches - Club culture, I reckon.  Coaches come and go.  Culture just hangs around.

Along the way there was a two year hiatus when they managed to fluke a premiership.  

Greatest mystery in AFL History.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

McCartney is an Assistant Coach for a reason. 

He is not an assistant coach, he is player and coach development, if you must snipe, get it right hero

Just now, Satyriconhome said:

He is not an assistant coach, he is player and coach development, if you must snipe, get it right hero

An Assistant to The Senoir Coach

Take a walk...

PNG__0006_2018_McCartney.png

Regarded as one of the game’s best development coaches, McCartney joined Melbourne in February 2015, after coaching the Western Bulldogs from 2012-14.

He was initially appointed development and strategy coach, but in September 2016 was named player/coach performance manager in line with Simon Goodwin’s elevation to senior coach.

The role oversees the development of Melbourne’s coaches, along with driving the performance of the club’s player group. McCartney continues to work closely in player development with Matthew Egan. 

McCartney, who is one of a handful of people to have coached at the highest level without playing a VFL/AFL match, has an outstanding coaching background in various forms of the game. For the record, his father Graham McCartney played one match for Richmond in 1957.

Originally a player with Newtown/Chilwell in the Geelong Football League, McCartney later coached Ocean Grove to four successive premierships from 1994-97.

He then became Richmond’s assistant and development coach from 1998-99 under former coach Jeff Gieschen.

From 2000-10, he was an assistant coach throughout Mark Thompson’s entire tenure at Geelong. McCartney played a pivotal role in Geelong’s two premierships in 2007 and 2009, and his legacy continued into the club’s 2011 flag.

In 2010, McCartney was named AFLCA’s assistant coach of the year.

He joined Essendon for one season under senior coach James Hird – the same time Thompson returned to the Bombers in a coaching capacity.

At the end of the 2011 season, McCartney was named coach of the Bulldogs. He coached the Dogs for three seasons, before resigning. McCartney’s time at the Bulldogs was acknowledged by many after it won the 2016 premiership.

McCartney’s experience and knowledge has already proven to be invaluable at Melbourne and he remains an integral part of Goodwin’s coaching panel.

• Thanks 1

The Bulldogs have fallen such a long way in such a short time it should come as no surprise some have succumbed to the blame game.

Cooney was a great player, no doubt, but little integrity.

There will be many at Melbourne today could describe Goodwin much the same as BM. Whether that story is told in future, has yet to be determined. 

I for one am glad he is part of our development team. Growing up is not supposed to be a holiday, sometimes life and it's lessons are tough. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

They beat WC in Perth, Hawthorn off 3 flags and the Giants. And then beat heavily favoured Sydney in the GF. All the while being heavily hit by injuries throughout the year. 

Hardly a fluke. Adelaide circa 1998 is what I would classify a fluke imo.

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, MSFebey said:

PNG__0006_2018_McCartney.png
Originally a player with Newtown/Chilwell in the Geelong Football League, McCartney later coached Ocean Grove to four successive premierships from 1994-97.

Jeepers, wasn't there another coach that coached Ocean grove to four flags..... let me think.......

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Shocked 1

Hey., not everyone is equipped to drive the reality bus....

Some people make good navigators..

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Jeepers, wasn't there another coach that coached Ocean grove to four flags..... let me think.......

Don’t even go there jnr 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

The culture angle meets a lot of resistance from within;,,, against any change from outsiders and newbies.

That is the difficulty at Melbourne, when the soft resets.

McCartney would have challenged this resistance, and he did trade out some old talented players to help shift the resistance,,, no doubt.

Naturally there would be some disharmony, in doing this resetting of culture, and values.

Players don't like being made to work harder than they've been used to, and to be more professional, and more dedicated.

No doubt Macca helped to setup the premiership which Bevo made, with the Doggies.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Hey., not everyone is equipped to drive the reality bus....

Some people make good navigators..

The last I heard 'the' reality bus had crashed head first into an orphanage and burst into flames. It's only passengers were nuns and doe eyed puppy dogs from all accounts.

• Shocked 1

Dogs B+F 2014. 

Libba, Macrae, Dahlhaus, Wallis.

Bont was 2nd in the Rising Star.

Stringer was sent to the backline, then the VFL, then kicked a stack of goals in the 2nd half of the year.

McCartney had no game plan besides throwing numbers at the contest and he might've lost some of the lesser young guys. And hey, maybe these young guys were just good but Bevo took over with half a dozen of the best young guys in the comp at his disposal.

1. Tom Liberatore 235
2. Jack Macrae 168
3. Ryan Griffen 154
4. Luke Dahlhaus 138
5. Robert Murphy 133
6. Dale Morris 124
7. Matthew Boyd 118
8. Stewart Crameri 117
9. Liam Picken 112
10. Mitch Wallis 99

He was never at the Bulldogs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, jnrmac said:

The same bloke who brought Jesse Hogan to the club?

• Like 1

Some people are not cut out for the number 1 job...

Macca has the runs on the board in development & that's what he does well for us.

Keep up the good work.

• Like 5

Tom  Morris reporting on On The Couch there are issues resurfacing which were discussed last year with Brendan McCartney.

Disconnect between some of the players and coaches with him including Goodwin. 

He mentioned he is a backline coach in conjunction with Chaplin,  that's the first I've heard of that.