Jump to content

  • Podcast: Draft Wrap Up w/Jason Taylor  

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Grapeviney said:

But the humidity of the Darwin match and the flow-on effects the following week is considered too high a price to pay.

So basically the club is conceding that this year's Darwin game is going to physically effect our run home this season. Not good.

However, good news that we may be looking to get out of the deal. More than happy to have that home game transferred to Etihad given how well we play there and how badly we play at the MCG.

Interesting that last year we had a good win over Port the week after Darwin, but then put in 2 lackluster performances against North and GWS (both interstate). So the flow on effects could last beyond the 1 week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Maybe, but if there is TV coverage and the club makes decent $, it's better than playing in Darwin

Presumably you mean free-to-air TV coverage, preferably on a Friday or Saturday night. And I agree with that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Maybe, but if there is TV coverage and the club makes decent $, it's better than playing in Darwin

I want 45,000 at the ‘G

We are Melbourne 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I want 45,000 at the ‘G

We are Melbourne 

I would, too. But we'll likely play a team in Alice Springs that wouldn't draw 45,000 to the G anyway, such as Gold Coast, Fremantle or a poorly performing team, such as St Kilda is now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Playing in Darwin is a joke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I would, too. But we'll likely play a team in Alice Springs that wouldn't draw 45,000 to the G anyway, such as Gold Coast, Fremantle or a poorly performing team, such as St Kilda is now.

and then lose the next 2 games, because the team is “Flat”

The NT deal must cease....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I want 45,000 at the ‘G

We are Melbourne 

Sure, but the issue is more nuanced than 3 word slogans. If we can get Friday night FTA TV and make good money, then 2 games in Alice against Freo/Port/GCS is better than one in each of Alice and Darwin. The red centre isn't too hot or humid mid year. 'Flat' is a furphy. Better than a financial loss at the G in front of 18k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

and then lose the next 2 games, because the team is “Flat”

The NT deal must cease....

Travelling from Melbourne to Alice Springs is approx 1,888 km whereas Melbourne to Perth is about 2,700 km. Since we won our last flag, West Coast has won three while travelling to Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane far more than we ever have to travel. The excuse that we are 'flat' because we have to travel to Alice Springs doesn't wash with me. (Darwin, on the other hand, is problematic, not because of the distance but because of the conditions.)  

  • Like 6
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About time.

We needed it then when we were in major debt and playing like crap anyway. Now it is impacting our ability to succeed on the field, which is priority #1. Time to go.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Travelling from Melbourne to Alice Springs is approx 1,888 km whereas Melbourne to Perth is about 2,700 km. Since we won our last flag, West Coast has won three while travelling to Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane far more than we ever have to travel. The excuse that we are 'flat' because we have to travel to Alice Springs doesn't wash with me. (Darwin, on the other hand, is problematic, not because of the distance but because of the conditions.)  

Look at the following games after the NT travel, since this Cash 💰 Grab began. 

Always been flat 1-2 weeks after. 

That’s why no serious September side would ever go near it

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roos on Demonland highlighted that games in Darwin & Alice don’t make sense when you are in and around position 6-10, as it may cost you a final spot, that has other sponsors kickers attached to making finals, and other benefits!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, D4Life said:

Roos on Demonland highlighted that games in Darwin & Alice don’t make sense when you are in and around position 6-10, as it may cost you a final spot, that has other sponsors kickers attached to making finals, and other benefits!

Easily could cost us 1-3 positions on the ladder. 

Time to get serious and play home games in front of the Members

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For all those hoping for the MCG, from three weeks ago...

Quote

However Jackson was keen to point out that the cessation of games in Darwin would not necessarily mean Melbourne would play more at the MCG, where the Demons are only contractually obliged to play nine home games a season. He said games moved from the NT could become home games at the newly renamed Marvel Stadium.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Supermercado said:

For all those hoping for the MCG, from three weeks ago...

 

Not worried about that, I've actually grown to tolerate Docklands since we've had a win or 2 there. Only issue would be small crowds = low revenue because MFC supporters steer clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Not worried about that, I've actually grown to tolerate Docklands since we've had a win or 2 there. Only issue would be small crowds = low revenue because MFC supporters steer clear.

And the financials are much better there now that the AFL own the joint. Not a big deal to play one game there if the alternative is Darwin.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Supermercado said:

And the financials are much better there now that the AFL own the joint. Not a big deal to play one game there if the alternative is Darwin.

they need to give non-tenant clubs better deals for members when playing "home" games. it's a joke compared to same situation at the g

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rod Grinter Riot Squad said:

Here in Alice, we would love to have the Demons play twice a year, screw Darwin!

I think the Alice is a great environment for us to retain! The 'heart of the nation' concept bodes well also, allowing us to celebrate the indigenous involvement of our game which is important.

1. Retain Alice

2. Remove Darwin..

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

they need to give non-tenant clubs better deals for members when playing "home" games. it's a joke compared to same situation at the g

One of the things that needs to be done is for all the stadium deals to be made public.

All of the stadiums are built and maintained substantially on taxpayer money. There is no real need to keep them secret as their is no natural competitor that could make use of the information such as might be the case for the Australian Open and the tennis centre.

The deal offered to clubs should be identical and I have no objection to clubs getting bigger revenue if their crowds are higher.

At Docklands they really need to do something to resolve the Medallion club impasse. Absolutely ridiculous for the best seats to be left empty for so many matches.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

One of the things that needs to be done is for all the stadium deals to be made public.

All of the stadiums are built and maintained substantially on taxpayer money. There is no real need to keep them secret as their is no natural competitor that could make use of the information such as might be the case for the Australian Open and the tennis centre.

The deal offered to clubs should be identical and I have no objection to clubs getting bigger revenue if their crowds are higher.

At Docklands they really need to do something to resolve the Medallion club impasse. Absolutely ridiculous for the best seats to be left empty for so many matches.

I don't know how much the taxpayers contribute. (As an MCC member, it feels like I'm personally helping pay off the redevelopment of the stands built in the early 2000s every time I renew my membership). However, I'm sure it is significant. I agree with the points you make about transparency and equity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/20/2018 at 10:05 AM, Sir Why You Little said:

and then lose the next 2 games, because the team is “Flat”

The NT deal must cease....

Too much is made of the whether in Darwin, you say last year we won a week after Darwin, but lost 2  weeks later, the second game after Darwin has nothing as o do with playing in Darwin, today whether is low 19 high 32, humidity of 19%, that's not high humidity, we play at night where the temp is around 19 to 23, with low humidity. Being flat after Darwin has more to do with a young   inexperienced side fading out towards a long season. We will sell more home games, after the pokies are sold 10 million dollars of revenue  will be loste, hate pokies but the do gooders will not give us money for giving them up. We are getting good crowds that we are playing well, but that won't last for ever, when we are rebuilding again the crowds will drop, and the club will lose millions of dollars, before we got Bentley club we lost millons every year, we only started making profit after we got the club,  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2018 at 3:48 AM, Rod Grinter Riot Squad said:

Here in Alice, we would love to have the Demons play twice a year, screw Darwin!

We play like we did this year and I'm on board with that. Darwin however is a seriously tough climate for elite sport, as a one off you can do it, but don't expect to feel chipper for a few days after. @don't make me angryI wonder if the sports scientists could explain further, when I've been in the tropics, playing beach ultimate tournaments, regardless of what the BoM details are, I find it much more draining, Like some sort of lethargy creeps in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, number 27 said:

could we be dumping Darwin for a home game in China?

We better bloody not be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, DaisyDeeciple said:

We play like we did this year and I'm on board with that. Darwin however is a seriously tough climate for elite sport, as a one off you can do it, but don't expect to feel chipper for a few days after. @don't make me angryI wonder if the sports scientists could explain further, when I've been in the tropics, playing beach ultimate tournaments, regardless of what the BoM details are, I find it much more draining, Like some sort of lethargy creeps in.

We are giving the opposition a free hit for at least 2 weeks if they are on. 

It will cost us on field...

5 years ago we needed cash 💴 

  • Like 1
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...