Robbo says the Dees MUST be ruthless.

Demonland

17 hours ago, Chook said:

I was expecting this to be from Mark Robinson. I even had my snarky post all lined up; I was gonna say: "There's only one Robbo I care about and his name ain't Mark."

"was gonna"?

Was a highlight package, that brought a smile to many a Demon supporter.

Was also a lazy forward who refused to apply pressure, and was pretty typical of our fortunes in the '00s.  When we were up, so was he.  When we were down, he was MIA.

Not solely to blame for our inconsistent era, but certainly played his role in it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hemingway said:

I appreciate the information Dee. 

Will try and get there. Spread Eagle or the Vine are the only Rubbidy Dubs that come to mind.

The Vine, Hemingway. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deemania since 56 said:

The Vine, Hemingway. 

@hemingway  sorry about the wrong pub - just thought Robbo would go to a club sponsor.  Hope the sporting globe don't hear about Robbo doing mfc business at their competitor a few doors away!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, The Chazz said:

Was a highlight package, that brought a smile to many a Demon supporter.

Was also a lazy forward who refused to apply pressure, and was pretty typical of our fortunes in the '00s.  When we were up, so was he.  When we were down, he was MIA.

Not solely to blame for our inconsistent era, but certainly played his role in it.

I'd reckon and on reflection firmly believe that 'MIA' is not the mantra to use for Robbo - even on 'bad' days. He was a team man and this necessitated teamwork and accuracy - and that is what made Guy Rigoni so good as he saw this in Robbo and played a feeding role to him with aplomb. Robbo nearly always ran into space and position to receive passes, making up for 'bombs' with occasional great marking skills - depending on who he was playing against.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

@hemingway  sorry about the wrong pub - just thought Robbo would go to a club sponsor.  Hope the sporting globe don't hear about Robbo doing mfc business at their competitor a few doors away!

Ooops, it WAS the SPORTING GLOBE pub, sorry Hemingway. Memory and ageing do no coalesce sometimes. Sorry. I got my MFC Membership package in the Adelaide mail, this morning. Bewdy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nutbean said:

Robbo had his flaws  but......

2nd on our all time goal kicking list ? Deserves a lot more respect and recognition than some are giving him.

Check most teams.  A lot of their top leading goal scorers in their history have played within the last 30 years.  And in the era of Robbo, we had quite a successful team (albeit we don't win any premierships).

2 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

I'd reckon and on reflection firmly believe that 'MIA' is not the mantra to use for Robbo - even on 'bad' days. He was a team man and this necessitated teamwork and accuracy - and that is what made Guy Rigoni so good as he saw this in Robbo and played a feeding role to him with aplomb. Robbo nearly always ran into space and position to receive passes, making up for 'bombs' with occasional great marking skills - depending on who he was playing against.

That's your view, I have mine.  My issue was that he was lazy.  I'll back my view up with the fact he averaged 1 tackle per game for his entire career.  There were countless times, especially in the last 2 or 3 seasons of his career, where he would just spectate defensively.  I don't know why you are arguing against fact.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Chazz said:

Check most teams.  A lot of their top leading goal scorers in their history have played within the last 30 years.  And in the era of Robbo, we had quite a successful team (albeit we don't win any premierships).

That's your view, I have mine.  My issue was that he was lazy.  I'll back my view up with the fact he averaged 1 tackle per game for his entire career.  There were countless times, especially in the last 2 or 3 seasons of his career, where he would just spectate defensively.  I don't know why you are arguing against fact.

Dunstall averaged 0.64 tackles per game. Ergo even lazier forward. I assume.

Different era, different KPIs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Chazz said:

For most of robbo's career forwards did not tackle, Arron Davey was the first ever forward  to start forward 50 tackling pressure, and that was in 2004, you  are applying the wrong kpis for the time. Hay but don't let Truth get in the way of a good story.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, don't make me angry said:

For most of robbo's career forwards did not tackle, Arron Davey was the first ever forward  to start forward 50 tackling pressure, and that was in 2004, you  are applying the wrong kpis for the time. Hay but don't let Truth get in the way of a good story.

It's one of those amazingly rare times that stats actually tell the story. If you don't remember Robbo's laziness, you're either too young to remember, seduced by his highlight package, or just didn't watch him play.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Chazz said:

It's one of those amazingly rare times that stats actually tell the story. If you don't remember Robbo's laziness, you're either too young to remember, seduced by his highlight package, or just didn't watch him play.

I watched him play and i don't think anyone here is going to say that every game Robbo was always at his best. However he was a bright spark for most of his games and carried us in a few. As others have mentioned, times have changed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, General Malaise said:

Dunstall averaged 0.64 tackles per game. Ergo even lazier forward. I assume.

Different era, different KPIs.

It was generally pretty well accepted that Robbo failed to apply defensive pressure in his final few seasons when that element became a big part of the modern game.

Robbo was eventually let go because he spent half his time on the ground, refusing to tackle.

Seems like a really nice bloke, but was a pretty selfish footballer and undoubtedly defensively lazy.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hemingway said:

Personally, I think he injects a lot of enthusiasm, energy and personality into what can be a dreary lot of MFC talking heads.

And could not get a more loyal club man.

Despite his obvious disappointment he took his retirement as a player on the chin with great class.  

Though I think he makes some cringe at times (myself not included) with his pre  MCG game banter, I don't know why anyone would really ever seriously  knock this bloke.  So much more respect for how he conducts himself than I have for the Ox.

'Cause I'd watch him flip around on the ground feigning some sort've imaginary injury while his man ran off him turning defence into attack.
Time and time again.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Like 1

Robbo was the prototype for Jeremy Howe. About the only difference is he didn't wander off to C'wood to play finals.

But Robbo would be proud of our boys today. When they didn't want to do boot camp, they drew a line in the sand. With clenched jaw and gimlet eye, they marched arm in resolute arm straight to the AFLPA. There was no hesitation! No sideways glances to see who was wavering. Just unified hardened resolve, straight in and down on calloused, scarred knees and demanded not to do anything they thought was a bit too tough. After their draining finals series and all.

Ruthless to the end! Go Deeeeeeeeees

• Love 1

Mazer, you don't think the coaches will get their way in training over the next couple of months? 

It may come to pass that a couple of days of so called boot camp would have been a lot easier than a couple of months of slow torture. 

It depends just a little, on how much retribution will be demanded for the players' rebuttal.