WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - CHARLIE SPARGO

Demonland

11 hours ago, SFebey said:

Caleb Daniel 2.0

See my previous post on this thread.

He’s a good 8 cm (or more) taller than Caleb, and at just 18 years old may still be growing a bit.

8 hours ago, P-man said:

It’s P-man ?

I’m aware. We’ve run with Pedo as a nickname for a while now. Bit late to be calling in the nickname police.

sorry about the binman tag, p-man (and binman)

probably right about being a bit late, i was reading an article on fritzl just a few days ago and i guess the gorge was still sticking strong in my throat

• Like 1

Spargo is a Footy player. That is he has a football brain with nous and abilities to use it. 

So many in jumpers AREN'T. 

I wish the lad well and a long and prosperous career at Melbourne. 

Oh btw...suck shlt North ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/27/2018 at 6:37 PM, dazzledavey36 said:

Absolutely stoked about this! I feel he is one that'll play better and more suited to the more quicker tempo of AFL rather then the VFL..

And just quickly, I've had a bit to do with young "Spargs" and I posted this back early January this year.

Gday guys, on one of the training thread there's been a few doubts on young Charlie about his size and whether he can translate his ability to AFL level. Thought I'd bring this thread up and have my 2 cents worth.

Just on Spargo, I had a bit to do with him when he was in the under 16s bushies . I didn't bother to write anything up on him when we drafted him (lack of interest in demonland at the time) but I thought I'd post my thought a on him now. 

Goody is going to fall in love coaching this young fella, he is 18 years old going onto 25 in terms of maturity and level headed. He was driven right from the very young age to succeed in footy and make AFL. He started playing senior footy for Albury in the strong Ovens and Murray league (step below VFL) at 16 and was still running rings around former AFL players with such ease. It was tipped right from then that this kid could potentially be the next big thing despite his size. He was quick, tough as F**k, and most importantly, driven and determined to make it.

Despite being a quiet and down to earth sort of fella, he just oozes leadership on field! We played a praccy match against Bendigo once and he was captain for the day. The whole day he was barking orders, setting up midfield stoppages, encouraging teammtes, and giving direct feedback to coaching and senior officials on what was going right and wrong. He'll be in the leadership group in a couple of years. Mark my words.

Obviously being in boarding school this year I barely got time to see any of his games (injured also). But we got word back from some recruiters that if it wasn't for injury he would be top 10 without a doubt. 3 clubs had even made mentioned that if he was just a smidge taller and injury free, they had penciled him for top 5. Every club rated him and the giants were absolutely filthy when they lost first rights to him. He is a genuine talent.

If I was to compare him to someone in terms of toughness, leadership and skill? it would be Joel Selwood. He has everything that you need in terms of the culture you're trying to build and set.

Yes I've pumped up his tyres, but the biggest test for him will be the transition to AFL level. The likes of Caleb Daniel and Eddie Betts have shown that it is possible if you've got the ticker and drive to succeed. I believe young Spargo has this.

The likes of Jones, Viney, Oliver and Lewis will crave having this kid in the side running full tilt into packs and come out ball in hand.

I don't want to put too much pressure on the kid but in my honest opinion, he is an absolute beauty!

Hope that helps.

Well you get points for this! top call.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Spargo is a Footy player. That is he has a football brain with nous and abilities to use it. 

So many in jumpers AREN'T. 

I wish the lad well and a long and prosperous career at Melbourne. 

Oh btw...suck shlt North ;)

I was saying yesterday to a friend that he has to be top 10 smartest footballers in the team already. Of course the challenge is for him to keep playing his natural game and not let the over coaching and criticism that all AFL players get, plus the oppositions attention get to him and start second guessing himself. Fritsch is another very crafty player and adding just a few more smart players really helps the team balance.

• Like 4

Spargo's couple of handballs that hit running players moving toward goal were elite. It was what impressed me more than his actual goals. He made those around him better. He has proper footy IQ...unlike athletes like ANB who spend the day running a lot. positioning and front and centre cork were also notable.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

Spargo's couple of handballs that hit running players moving toward goal were elite. It was what impressed me more than his actual goals. He made those around him better. He has proper footy IQ...unlike athletes like ANB who spend the day running a lot. positioning and front and centre cork were also notable.

Very much the idea i was alluding to.

Tis all very well to run around all day clocking up the miles....but it's irrelevant.

Hitting up players...and the right ones at the right time is footy-gold.

If Goody can somehow find the path to allowing good football players to play football ( not a too overly contrived style ) then we have a much brighter future.

It's nigh on impossible to transplant footy 'smarts' . 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I was saying yesterday to a friend that he has to be top 10 smartest footballers in the team already. Of course the challenge is for him to keep playing his natural game and not let the over coaching and criticism that all AFL players get, plus the oppositions attention get to him and start second guessing himself. Fritsch is another very crafty player and adding just a few more smart players really helps the team balance.

He not only went in for the ball and came out with it on commendable occasions, he also ran to space as a target for those who had not looked for a 'target' in the open for quite a few years. Blending with Melksham's fine passing, the future looks rosier for the MFC - and his cues assisted Fritch to do similar things, as well. 

• Like 2

On 4/26/2018 at 9:38 PM, DemonOX said:

Geez goody seems excited to tell Spargo that he is playing his first game. 

He might be a bit more excited now ;)

• Haha 1

On 4/27/2018 at 1:44 PM, chook fowler said:

If he gets 10 disposals that will be more than Garlett got in 2 games.

Screenshot_20180430-095949.png

• Love 1

On 4/27/2018 at 4:55 AM, bandicoot said:

Massive??? He will be thrown around like a rag doll at AFL

Oh really?

Love this kid, we've found one here. His intent is fantastic and he is NOT a skinny runt like I was expecting. Loves to get his hands dirty and doesn't mind getting stuck in, I love him. Great pick again JT

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

Yep, what he did was good, the way he went about it was, to me, reminiscent of Ron Wearmouth.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Chief said:

Could be our first rising star nomination in a long time. On that, is Fritsch too old for rising star?  Had another good game and clearly too good for VFL. 

Fritsch is too old by 3 weeks. Must be under 21 on 1 January of the year.

The Spargo family makes history https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/spargo-family-makes-history-in-charlie-s-impressive-demons-debut-20180430-p4zcfj.html

"His debut meant the Spargo family was the first to produce four league footballers - in a direct line - through four successive generations".

Terriffic achievement by the family.  Liked his dad's advice on presenting Charlie with his demon jumper:  play hard for your teammates, play hard for your jumper.

He seems like a feisty puppy with a bit of bite, not unlike Jack Viney.  I suspect it won't be long before we have a 'Spargo Made Me Cry' thread. ?

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/27/2018 at 1:44 PM, chook fowler said:

If he gets 10 disposals that will be more than Garlett got in 2 games.

Well, he only got 4 kicks 'cf', but he nabbed 2 goals.

Had 3 tackles, and 14 handballs, also took 4 marks, the little fella.

Watta game !

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 3Dee said:

the reverse Jack Watts debut!

892B7102-F80C-42CC-9929-AD87A160BD24.jpeg

A girly name, 'charlie', but he wears the pants__  not so sure about wattshisface jacky boy.

4 hours ago, jnrmac said:

"This is what we do up in Albury to blokes that have man buns!"

.... just whispering sweet nothings, into his shell like, is Charlie & Nat...  and Oli's just making sure, all is above board.

Maybe Brendon had a 'zit', on his neck ?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

The Spargo family makes history https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/spargo-family-makes-history-in-charlie-s-impressive-demons-debut-20180430-p4zcfj.html

"His debut meant the Spargo family was the first to produce four league footballers - in a direct line - through four successive generations".

Terriffic achievement by the family.  Liked his dad's advice on presenting Charlie with his demon jumper:  play hard for your teammates, play hard for your jumper.

He seems like a feisty puppy with a bit of bite, not unlike Jack Viney.  I suspect it won't be long before we have a 'Spargo Made Me Cry' thread. ?

Definitely a case of the value of family bloodlines.

So many young footballers seem to have a Dad, Uncle or relative that played AFL/VFL. Or a mum that played netball etc. 

Like others I love the spirit of this young guy. Just oozes enthusiasm and attitude. 

And that first goal seemed to me to come down to sheer footy instinct.  In the right place at the right time, knew where the goals were, and polished off with clean disposal.

• Like 7