WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - CHARLIE SPARGO

Demonland

11 hours ago, juzzk1d said:

Spargo will be a massive addition to us. The main reasons why he dropped down the draft order was due to his height, and shoulder issues. This kid is an absolute jet, I know talent when I see it. Watch him play predominantly forward early in his career, not only kicking goals and applying much needed forward pressure but even taking contested marks (think Jamie Elliott).

His vision and kicking are elite also. When he develops more of a tank, will be pressed into the midfield as his delivery inside 50 will be a weapon.

Watch this space folks.

Does anyone know how Spargo rated in the kicking test?

2 hours ago, fndee said:

He sat out the combine due to a shoulder injury. Source afl.com

Conspiracy theory question...have there ever been questions about prospective draftees missing the Combine with supposed injuries so as to avoid close scrutiny?

I stress that this question is not at all about Spargo. But it seems to me if a prospective draftee wishes to get to a specific club and that club wants that same player, couldn't they concoct an "injury" to reduce other clubs' interest in said player? 

• Like 1

All

I was having lunch and a drink at Coopers Inn Hotel today and the owners were telling me that Charlie is a very close family friend and they were saying that Charlie is very tough and should play very early in the season. One was saying that he and Charlie made their debut for the club on the same day in the seconds. Charlie was 15 and the person telling me the story was 34. Charlie was just about  best on the ground.   

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Melbournepotter said:

Paul Spargo has previously coached Albury in the O & M  football league and I assume is still involved in some way at the club. With Crossy playing up there,  perhaps we had some inside info as well.... 

Cross old man and Uncle Albury legends

Spargo even more so

Agree about the link

• Like 1

On 1 December 2017 at 1:11 AM, Old Bear said:

Cross old man and Uncle Albury legends

Spargo even more so

Agree about the link

Spent many a Saturday afternoon watching them run around. Crossy's old man played in (for a time anyway) the old style boots that came up over the ankle. I used to think it was a bit old fashioned even back then..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 30 November 2017 at 12:27 PM, Demonised said:

Extra points if you pronounced it 'looxury' in your head.

Sheer looxury I say!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/29/2017 at 8:35 AM, Ethan Tremblay said:

Back in my day I walked 50kms to get to a game, through the snow. A Four n Twenty was 2c and that included a squirt of Rosella sauce and a pint. 

In 1970 i was in the Bayview with a TWSNBN mate of mine and a bloke came up to us with a couple of tickets that he was giving away to some GF with Blues vrs Pies, for a donation to the army, and we grabbed some large cans in a box to stand on, and walked to the ground.

Not a bad game that.......

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

• 1 month later...

Gday guys, on one of the training thread there's been a few doubts on young Charlie about his size and whether he can translate his ability to AFL level. Thought I'd bring this thread up and have my 2 cents worth.

Just on Spargo, I had a bit to do with him when he was in the under 16s bushies . I didn't bother to write anything up on him when we drafted him (lack of interest in demonland at the time) but I thought I'd post my thought a on him now. 

Goody is going to fall in love coaching this young fella, he is 18 years old going onto 25 in terms of maturity and level headed. He was driven right from the very young age to succeed in footy and make AFL. He started playing senior footy for Albury in the strong Ovens and Murray league (step below VFL) at 16 and was still running rings around former AFL players with such ease. It was tipped right from then that this kid could potentially be the next big thing despite his size. He was quick, tough as F**k, and most importantly, driven and determined to make it.

Despite being a quiet and down to earth sort of fella, he just oozes leadership on field! We played a praccy match against Bendigo once and he was captain for the day. The whole day he was barking orders, setting up midfield stoppages, encouraging teammtes, and giving direct feedback to coaching and senior officials on what was going right and wrong. He'll be in the leadership group in a couple of years. Mark my words.

Obviously being in boarding school this year I barely got time to see any of his games (injured also). But we got word back from some recruiters that if it wasn't for injury he would be top 10 without a doubt. 3 clubs had even made mentioned that if he was just a smidge taller and injury free, they had penciled him for top 5. Every club rated him and the giants were absolutely filthy when they lost first rights to him. He is a genuine talent.

If I was to compare him to someone in terms of toughness, leadership and skill? it would be Joel Selwood. He has everything that you need in terms of the culture you're trying to build and set.

Yes I've pumped up his tyres, but the biggest test for him will be the transition to AFL level. The likes of Caleb Daniel and Eddie Betts have shown that it is possible if you've got the ticker and drive to succeed. I believe young Spargo has this.

The likes of Jones, Viney, Oliver and Lewis will crave having this kid in the side running full tilt into packs and come out ball in hand.

I don't want to put too much pressure on the kid but in my honest opinion, he is an absolute beauty!

Hope that helps.

• Like 38
  • Thanks 5

28 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Gday guys, on one of the training thread there's been a few doubts on young Charlie about his size and whether he can translate his ability to AFL level. Thought I'd bring this thread up and have my 2 cents worth.

Just on Spargo, I had a bit to do with him when he was in the under 16s bushies . I didn't bother to write anything up on him when we drafted him (lack of interest in demonland at the time) but I thought I'd post my thought a on him now. 

Goody is going to fall in love coaching this young fella, he is 18 years old going onto 25 in terms of maturity and level headed. He was driven right from the very young age to succeed in footy and make AFL. He started playing senior footy for Albury in the strong Ovens and Murray league (step below VFL) at 16 and was still running rings around former AFL players with such ease. It was tipped right from then that this kid could potentially be the next big thing despite his size. He was quick, tough as F**k, and most importantly, driven and determined to make it.

Despite being a quiet and down to earth sort of fella, he just oozes leadership on field! We played a praccy match against Bendigo once and he was captain for the day. The whole day he was barking orders, setting up midfield stoppages, encouraging teammtes, and giving direct feedback to coaching and senior officials on what was going right and wrong. He'll be in the leadership group in a couple of years. Mark my words.

Obviously being in boarding school this year I barely got time to see any of his games (injured also). But we got word back from some recruiters that if it wasn't for injury he would be top 10 without a doubt. 3 clubs had even made mentioned that if he was just a smidge taller and injury free, they had penciled him for top 5. Every club rated him and the giants were absolutely filthy when they lost first rights to him. He is a genuine talent.

If I was to compare him to someone in terms of toughness, leadership and skill? it would be Joel Selwood. He has everything that you need in terms of the culture you're trying to build and set.

Yes I've pumped up his tyres, but the biggest test for him will be the transition to AFL level. The likes of Caleb Daniel and Eddie Betts have shown that it is possible if you've got the ticker and drive to succeed. I believe young Spargo has this.

The likes of Jones, Viney, Oliver and Lewis will crave having this kid in the side running full tilt into packs and come out ball in hand.

I don't want to put too much pressure on the kid but in my honest opinion, he is an absolute beauty!

Hope that helps.

I started barracking for this post.......

• Like 11
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Someone I know watched a lot of his school footy last year. I believe he was the Captain of Melbourne Grammar. Said 4 things :-

1. Hard as nails. Runs through brick walls. 

2. Highly skilled. Very good kick and exceptional goal sense. 

3. Very strong contested overhead mark with an unusually high vertical leap for his height. 

4. Great kid. 

Edited by It's Time
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Great post @dazzledavey36!

The thing that excites me the most about the club moving forward is the quality of people we are getting in.  Of course football talent and ability comes first, but we seem to have not only drafted players who have that in spades, but also guys who bring so much leadership and maturity to the table as well.  They are level headed blokes who will train professionally and uphold the high standards that we expect of our playing group.  It's exciting to see!

• Like 6

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:08 AM, Old Bear said:

Get your money on early for the Rising Star

Old man a Super  Legend In Albury 

Grandfather a Bulldogs Premiership legend

Might just do that. Thrilled to have this kid. Cannot have enough players who hate losing. Confident he falls into that category.

• Like 1

I should add that I was completely and utterly excited/shocked when he fell into our lap at our first pick. To have clubs rate him a top 10 and potential top 5 pick if it wasn't for injury is a HUGE bargain. 

Don't be put off by his size.. the kid has what it takes to make it at the top level. 

Go get em Spargs!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, It's Time said:

Someone I know watched a lot of his school footy last year. I believe he was the Captain of Melbourne Grammar. Said 4 things :-

1. Hard as nails. Runs through brick walls. 

2. Highly skilled. Very good kick and exceptional goal sense. 

3. Very strong contested overhead mark with an unusually high vertical leap for his height. 

4. Great kid. 

Sounds like a more talented Viney from that description.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Sounds like a more talented Viney from that description.

Yeah, that was my first thought also.

Big difference to the weedy pack skirters we loaded up on in years gone by.

That post from @dazzledavey36 is a cracker. Spargos family would be printing it on their Christmas cards.