Lachie Whitfield, Jake Lever, and other trade rumours

Xavierrodway

29 minutes ago, Xavierrodway said:

Who would you guys like to see at the Melbourne Football Club next year, and who would you like to see gone (realistic expectations)

I would like Lever, Kelly, Gaff & Balic. Too much to ask ?

Lever is the main target I believe and a sensible choice. Might not solve our key defensive weaknesses initially but he's one of the best intercept players in the league and can rebound pretty well also. Along with Hibberd and Hunt we'd have a seriously strong repelling half back line. 

For both salary cap and draft reasons it's then hard to sign more than 1 big name player so I wouldn't set the sights too high. 

We need to move on from Spencer and add a back up ruck.
We need to add a ready to play CHB to move Tom McDonald to a ruck/forward role - Lever might grow in to that role but we need depth. 
We need outside run.

This might sound silly but I think we should look at Blaine Boekhorst from Carlton as a cheap wing option. Don't think he has a deal there yet and we might get him for free. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Lever is the main target I believe and a sensible choice. Might not solve our key defensive weaknesses initially but he's one of the best intercept players in the league and can rebound pretty well also. Along with Hibberd and Hunt we'd have a seriously strong repelling half back line. 

For both salary cap and draft reasons it's then hard to sign more than 1 big name player so I wouldn't set the sights too high. 

We need to move on from Spencer and add a back up ruck.
We need to add a ready to play CHB to move Tom McDonald to a ruck/forward role - Lever might grow in to that role but we need depth. 
We need outside run.

This might sound silly but I think we should look at Blaine Boekhorst from Carlton as a cheap wing option. Don't think he has a deal there yet and we might get him for free. 

What about Dylan Buckley??? Lol

@demonland   trade board...cough :rolleyes:

please  :wub:

38 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

Lever and an outside mid 

I don't want the club to panic trade with the outside mid.  I think it's clear we need a little extra quality in that area, but if there isn't a suitable player then I think we go to the draft.  Outside mids can be the worst players in a side, and trading for an average one will get us nowhere.

Isaac Smith is one I'd look at, but I doubt he would leave the Hawks.

• Like 1

What about looking at gold coast to see if any one want's out? 

I don't know if any of their players is out of contract but they way they are at the moment with no coach yet and going know where fast, might be lucky to snag one or two out side mids.

Slightly unrealistic but Steven Motlop. Haven't seen much of his footy this year and am aware that he is extremely inconsistent but has a real ability to break open games (Hawthorn rd. 4, Richmond rd. 21)

Thoughts?

• Love 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, deebug said:

What about looking at gold coast to see if any one want's out? 

I don't know if any of their players is out of contract but they way they are at the moment with no coach yet and going know where fast, might be lucky to snag one or two out side mids.

Slim pickings up there in the OOC department at the moment

However, we should be in Tom Lynch's ear all year. He's OOC & a free agent after next season. If GCS are still a shite sandwich, we should be offering him a good home

Also with regard to the thread title, Lachie Whitfield (yes please) is contracted for 2018.

Edited by Go the Biff
  • Like 1

Whitfield is not likely, Kelly is not likely, Lever is

The problem with someone like Boekhurst is that he'd probably be behind the likes of Kent and Bugg - I'd certainly consider them better footballers, which is saying something

Motlop would be a fantastic addition - I thought he was a free agent, but apparently not? The rumours have all been about him wanting to go to an SA-based team, preferably Port

Re @DeeSpencer's desire to move T Mac into a ruck / forward rule, does that basically relegate Pedo to likely out of the side? It would likely necessitate keeping Frost for mine

B: Jetta - Frost - O Mac
HB: Hunt - Lever - Hibberd
C: Motlop - Jones - Lewis
HF: Petracca - Watts - Melksham
F: T Mac - Hogan - Garlett
Foll: Gawn - Oliver - Viney
I/c: Salem - Brayshaw - Tyson - Hannan
Emerg: Pedersen - Vince - Weideman

I lurrrrve that half-back line

Edited by DemonAndrew
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, DemonAndrew said:

Whitfield is not likely, Kelly is not likely, Lever is

The problem with someone like Boekhurst is that he'd probably be behind the likes of Kent and Bugg - I'd certainly consider them better footballers, which is saying something

Motlop would be a fantastic addition - I thought he was a free agent, but apparently not? The rumours have all been about him wanting to go to an SA-based team, preferably Port

Re @DeeSpencer's desire to move T Mac into a ruck / forward rule, does that basically relegates Pedo to likely out of the side? It would likely necessitate keeping Frost for mine

B: Jetta - Frost - O Mac
HB: Hunt - Lever - Hibberd
C: Motlop - Jones - Lewis
HF: Petracca - Watts - Melksham
F: T Mac - Hogan - Garlett
Foll: Gawn - Oliver - Viney
I/c: Salem - Brayshaw - Tyson - Hannan
Emerg: Pedersen - Vince - Weideman

I lurrrrve that half-back line

Motlop a restricted free agent at the end of this season so would cost an arm and a leg to bring over but would love to see him in the red and blue

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I reckon we could use Motlop but Geelong supporters hate him, reckon he's lazy and selfish

Many Essendon fans laughed at the idea of us getting Melksham and he didn't turn out too bad especially in the last half of the season