Dees supporters the most passionate (by far)

needafullback

The ultimate riposte to that tedious 'going to the snow' nonsense we cop so often.  Our club's marketing department should set about mining this for all its worth:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/dees-supporters-are-afls-most-passionate-supporters-study/news-story/0a941fef2e6e555912f1214342a9a6e4

"Far from popular belief that they’d much rather be hitting the slopes than attend a game in the midst of winter, new research has found that Melbourne supporters are more likely to go to the footy than any other team... 48.7 per cent of Dees supporters attended AFL matches, followed by Tigers fans (38.7%) and Giants supporters (37.6%)."

Next thing is to get a survey done up at Bulla, find out that it's full of Collingwood and Hawthorn supporters, and publicise this fact

• Like 18

5 minutes ago, needafullback said:

The ultimate riposte to that tedious 'going to the snow' nonsense we cop so often.  Our club's marketing department should set about mining this for all its worth:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/dees-supporters-are-afls-most-passionate-supporters-study/news-story/0a941fef2e6e555912f1214342a9a6e4

"Far from popular belief that they’d much rather be hitting the slopes than attend a game in the midst of winter, new research has found that Melbourne supporters are more likely to go to the footy than any other team... 48.7 per cent of Dees supporters attended AFL matches, followed by Tigers fans (38.7%) and Giants supporters (37.6%)."

Next thing is to get a survey done up at Bulla, find out that it's full of Collingwood and Hawthorn supporters, and publicise this fact

Love it. We go to the footy. As long as it's not at Ethiad.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, binman said:

Love it. We go to the footy. As long as it's not at Ethiad.

Amen to that one binman.

The club is however concerned about the number of members attending home games.

I got an email today see my comments on the membership thread

Yep.

Most likely to go, and also go to other games.

Most likely to take out a membership.

Most likely to still turn up even during a rubbish season.

This has all been backed up by 'the data' (surveys, attendences, membership tallies etc) for many years, nice that it is now getting some recognition.

Will make knocking over the 'franchise' Giants in this years grand final all the sweeter! :)

3 minutes ago, Uncle Fester said:

We have faith like no other. If you are still around after the 70's, early mid 80's, the last decade and the horror of two GF smashings... well, you are probably rusted on. I know I am.

It be equally said that we are stupid UF.

What sane person would go through all that and come up for more?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Uncle Fester said:

OK. Your call. All I can tell you is that when I fill out a census, under religion I always write MFC

I have been tempted to write Jedi Night

5 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Could've fooled me.

The report obviously overlooked the whopping 8,500 crowd we got to a recent home game on the Western fringe of the CBD.

We'll get about 34 Melbourne supporters at Etihad Stadium this weekend.

This is what the article is suggesting, though. We've got roughly 70 supporters, and 34 of them are going to the footy (48.7%)

• Like 3

One can however see the problem in the report.

Means we have the least upside in turning supporters into members and attendees. And of course as it is expressed in percentage terms rather than outright numbers it ignores the sheer dominance of the larger clubs. Adelaide has an almost entire city backing it.

We really need some success to improve our supporter base amongst the young .... 23 years between finals appearances and then 52 years since the last flag is an abysmal performance.

Perhaps we need to market ourselves as a boutique club for the thinking supporter ...... a glass of pinot anyone?

Edited by Diamond_Jim
expansion of point

57 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Our ratio of supporters to members has always dwarfed the likes of Collingwood and Essendon too.

It would be fantastic to see some of those numbers converted. Maybe a little taste of success this year might awaken this sleeping giant again. 

9 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Could've fooled me.

The report obviously overlooked the whopping 8,500 crowd we got to a recent home game on the Western fringe of the CBD.

We'll get about 34 Melbourne supporters at Etihad Stadium this weekend.

It is not a lack of passion that keeps  people from  Etihad BBP

It is a dose of sanity.

2 hours ago, old dee said:

The club is however concerned about the number of members attending home games.

I got an email today see my comments on the membership thread

Hi old dee, is this merely an assumption based on the email, or have you heard something independent of the email? Fwiw, the Club's had a similar promotion re: 'rewards' for attendance in past seasons. Were we also 'concerned' then?

As an aside, the Western Bulldogs are spending more on membership marketing etc than in previous seasons. Would you characterise that as them being 'concerned'?

58 minutes ago, Return to Glory said:

Richmond supporters are the most deluded.

They are great. Two games in a row won and they are gonna win the flag. Two games in a row lost and the coach, players and board must go. A wonderfully emotional lot that makes the rest of the passionate look balanced.

The Ben Cousins rally was the best. That was the tail wagging the dog. Great to see, and so glad it wasn't us.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rogue said:

Hi old dee, is this merely an assumption based on the email, or have you heard something independent of the email? Fwiw, the Club's had a similar promotion re: 'rewards' for attendance in past seasons. Were we also 'concerned' then?

As an aside, the Western Bulldogs are spending more on membership marketing etc than in previous seasons. Would you characterise that as them being 'concerned'?

My assumption Rogue. I have not noticed it in the past 

12 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Richmond v Carlton  tomorrow night.... they are talking 75,000

Richmond.... mid -level 9-14

Carlton 17-18

We can only dream of such crowds

The first game of the season has a fair bit to do with as well.

I reckon if we played the Tigers or Pies as the first game of the season at the 'G' we's be nudging similar attendances.

2 minutes ago, McQueen said:

The first game of the season has a fair bit to do with as well.

I reckon if we played the Tigers or Pies as the first game of the season at the 'G' we's be nudging similar attendances.

Yep, the first game always carries a bit of hype and anticipation.