Josh Wagner promoted with 2-year contract

Ditcha

6 minutes ago, Nasher said:

I'm surprised; I didn't see the hurry as I see his position as one in very tight competition next year.

Congratulations to him though. It's a good reward for a promising debut season, and the club obviously rate him.

I think it's more due to where our draft picks lie, Nasher. We obviously feel that we would gain more out of having Wagner plus another nominated rookie available to play all year, as opposed to Wagner playing as the nominated rookie plus pick 84 from the draft.

Edited by Demon Disciple
  • Like 9

21 minutes ago, Nasher said:

I'm surprised; I didn't see the hurry as I see his position as one in very tight competition next year.

Congratulations to him though. It's a good reward for a promising debut season, and the club obviously rate him.

Wagner>Pick 84

• Like 5

Must admit i didn't see this coming, he is behind a few guys for that half back position and already a mature age player, didn't see him playing in the 1's unless there were injuries. 

is the 2 year deal a minimum to upgrade a player? i would have thought 1 year was a better fit under the circumstances.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, stuie said:

Wagner>Pick 84

Good move. When do players need to be moved off the Category B rookie list, Smith for example has had a year can we keep him on this or do we need to move him to either primary or rookie list?

4 minutes ago, stuie said:

Wagner>Pick 84

Not sure it's that Black and White "Stuie" 

pick 84 has potential, there have been some very good players come out of later picks in the draft, but also some flops, so it's a question of what does Wagner offer vs another crack at the lucky dip.  

in my opinion Wagner is depth at best given Hibberd and Melksham come in, we already have Hunt, Jetta, Salem, Vince who can play that role and others who will rotate through there. 

i'd almost rather have another bite of the cherry and keep Wagner as a rookie. 

• Like 1

One only had to look at how well Wagner did in the B&F to see that he's highly rated within the club, especially for a first year player.  And when he missed 2 games mid year with a knee he came back in immediately to the senior team and not Casey.  He faded late in the year, but if one reads the tea leaves, especially with this mooted 2 year signing, there's a clear message the club sees a future.

I don't currently have him in my best 22, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's in the club's.

If he's been promoted it's for a reason.  And I wouldn't water down those reasons.

• Like 15

24 minutes ago, Abe said:

Not sure it's that Black and White "Stuie" 

pick 84 has potential, there have been some very good players come out of later picks in the draft, but also some flops, so it's a question of what does Wagner offer vs another crack at the lucky dip.  

in my opinion Wagner is depth at best given Hibberd and Melksham come in, we already have Hunt, Jetta, Salem, Vince who can play that role and others who will rotate through there. 

i'd almost rather have another bite of the cherry and keep Wagner as a rookie. 

I just don't think that's where our list is at now, especially if you look at our draft situation this year. We're not used to it after the last few years, but we don't need to go to the draft so hard this year and rely on kids coming in to improve us. We're at a stage now where we take the safe best because we don't have to gamble on late picks because we lack talent.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Abe said:

Must admit i didn't see this coming, he is behind a few guys for that half back position and already a mature age player, didn't see him playing in the 1's unless there were injuries. 

is the 2 year deal a minimum to upgrade a player? i would have thought 1 year was a better fit under the circumstances.

There's 40+ players on the senior list. You don't have to be considered "best 22" to get a spot.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, stuie said:

I just don't think that's where our list is at now, especially if you look at our draft situation this year. We're not used to it after the last few years, but we don't need to go to the draft so hard this year and rely on kids coming in to improve us. We're at a stage now where we take the safe best because we don't have to gamble on late picks because we lack talent.

See i don't see it as a risk either way, we'd keep Wagner and he'd still be able to play, i just feel he's fallen down the pecking order quite a bit and would be behind 6-7 players for that position right at this moment.

not sure the promotion & 2 years was really needed, i mean if he doesn't get a game next year or only plays 3-4 games it probably hasn't worked in my opinion.

obviously the club rates him differently though so that's fine, happy to back them in.

Edited by Abe
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Abe said:

See i don't see it as a risk either way, we'd keep Wagner and he'd still be able to play, i just feel he's fallen down the pecking order quite a bit and would be behind 6-7 players for that position right at this moment.

not sure the promotion & 2 years was really needed, i mean if he doesn't get a game next year or only plays 3-4 games it probably hasn't worked in my opinion.

obviously the club rates him differently though so that's fine, happy to back them in.

The club rates him very highly so I'm not surprised in the least.

And it IS a risk as list spots are far more valuable for us currently than they were 3 years ago. It's not just about the draft pick, it's also about the salary cap and the list spot, so with the talent we now have get used to us making less changes and more safe bets.

The rookie list is where we will take "risks" now.

Edited by stuie
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Demon Disciple said:

I think it's more due to where our draft picks lie, Nasher. We obviously feel that we would gain more out of having Wagner plus another nominated rookie available to play all year, as opposed to Wagner playing as the nominated rookie plus pick 84 from the draft.

The trade-off is pick 84 for our last rookie draft pick.  Wagner is already on our list and would be available to play.  

37 minutes ago, drdrake said:

Good move. When do players need to be moved off the Category B rookie list, Smith for example has had a year can we keep him on this or do we need to move him to either primary or rookie list?

I'm not 100% sure about cat B rookie rules in that regard, but I would not be surprised to see Smith upgraded on draft day depending on what's available at pick 69.

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

The club rates him very highly so I'm not surprised in the least.

And it IS a risk as list spots are far more valuable for us currently than they were 3 years ago. It's not just about the draft pick, it's also about the salary cap and the list spot, so with the talent we now have get used to us making less changes and more safe bets.

But he'd have a spot either way, he'd either be a rookie or on the senior list, so he'd be on the list. 

to me the risk is re-signing him for two years because though he's rated highly internally i am fairly confident he's not rated more highly than Vince, Jetta, Hibberd, Hunt, Melksham and Salem who right off the bat play that position, so the risk being we might have re-contracted a guy who isn't going to get a game when we really didn't need to take any action and he could have been in the same position, at Casey putting pressure on and providing good depth. 

I get that you have 40 odd players on the list so not everyone you recruit is going to be best 22 on paper or whatever and i understand this is the club saying he's more likely to play than the player we would have grabbed at pick 84 or whatever, i guess i am just a little surprised, given we would have had him either way, and where i rate him personally within that group of half back/wing players

all this is irrelevant now though because the decision has been made and i am very happy for him.

5 minutes ago, Abe said:

But he'd have a spot either way, he'd either be a rookie or on the senior list, so he'd be on the list. 

to me the risk is re-signing him for two years because though he's rated highly internally i am fairly confident he's not rated more highly than Vince, Jetta, Hibberd, Hunt, Melksham and Salem who right off the bat play that position, so the risk being we might have re-contracted a guy who isn't going to get a game when we really didn't need to take any action and he could have been in the same position, at Casey putting pressure on and providing good depth. 

I get that you have 40 odd players on the list so not everyone you recruit is going to be best 22 on paper or whatever and i understand this is the club saying he's more likely to play than the player we would have grabbed at pick 84 or whatever, i guess i am just a little surprised, given we would have had him either way, and where i rate him personally within that group of half back/wing players

all this is irrelevant now though because the decision has been made and i am very happy for him.

Not sure why you keep talking about "risk" when the club has seen enough of him to know what we've got.