WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - JORDAN LEWIS

23 hours ago, Grand New Flag said:

This deal is not dead.  Jordan is very upset with Hawthorn for putting him up for trade.  He was told by Clarkson he was going to be traded and cracked it. The Hawthorn Board (in an emergency meeting) then overruled it.  However, Jordan is feeling he has lost the support of the coach and is now considering walking. As we speak he is weighing up where to play out his career. Melbourne or Hawthorn.

The agreed trade will cost the Dees very little should Jordan Lewis decide his days in brown and yellow are over.

Come on Jordan walk and win a Premiership in the Red and Blue!

Has Clarkson turned into Mark Neeld during this trade period?

• Like 3

Just now, Abe said:

I think you'll find in this case Pickers and co might be behind the leaks in order to put heat on the Hawks to do the deal, the word getting around about this is so consistent

Quite possibly correct.

But there was not one word of his "massive" story that hadn't been said here already.

• Like 3

On 13/10/2016 at 9:30 PM, GawnWithTheWind said:

Until Lewis or his management have said he's staying at the hawks, this is still every chance. The only people to downplay this has been hawthorn, and they have every reason to do so.

He'd definelty help our mids in the short and long term.

It's his skills set, his attitude we need him for, to impart that into our whole list..  Whether he's slow of fast is irrelevant, as long as he can play next year. Its 2017 we need his attitude, Not 2018.

We want his combative, never say die spirit, right now, at the Dees.

Comeon Dees work something out.

• Like 2

He's a question, does Lewis walk into our leadership group next year? personally i think he and Hibberd both would/do but i know some don't think new recruits should be official leaders

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

Poster on the  No T$ thread, that's right the No T$ thread, said the Lewis deal is nearly done and he will sign with us in the next couple of days. 

Said the info is from Warrnambool way and  that is Lewis' family home area.

Thanks Redleg, I hope this is right.

5 minutes ago, Abe said:

He's a question, does Lewis walk into our leadership group next year? personally i think he and Hibberd both would/do but i know some don't think new recruits should be official leaders

Lewis yes. Hibberd no. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Abe said:

Don't think Hibberd would walk straight in but Lewis certainly would.

Imagne all the respect he would get from all our young pups, they would be absolutely inspired.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

Poster on the  No T$ thread, that's right the No T$ thread, said the Lewis deal is nearly done and he will sign with us in the next couple of days. 

Said the info is from Warrnambool way and  that is Lewis' family home area.

Good Lord Red ! Stuie will have a convulsion if he sees info from the perverts thread being quoted in an evidentiary manner  on the wider board.

• Like 7

Too much smoke and fire for Lewis to go back to Hawthorn now I think. 

If there are questions about official leadership groups, I would just hold off announcing until leadership group until the new year after camp etc. By then players will prove their worth. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Good Lord Red ! Stuie will have a convulsion if he sees info from the perverts thread being quoted in an evidentiary manner  on the wider board.

He will suck it up,he is a tough Dees man.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Abe said:

You'd have to think so. He's been one of the senior leaders for one of AFL's greatest ever teams.

For those here who knock his (lack of) pace, the reality is that he's clearly elite in terms of leadership and he simply must have a seat at the table at this club.

This story is so bloody exciting. It says something that, on an entirely unsolicited basis, his management approached us as the club he wanted to join.

You'd have to think that the next 2-3 years for Jordan Lewis would have to be a lot more exciting for him at the Dees rather than the Hawks given this week's events.

• Like 9

55 minutes ago, juzzk1d said:

Lewis has about 3 years left in footy with him. I feel as though he has been a very durable player, just missed a chunk of games through suspension. Lewis will not only help us win close games, but it also has a domino effect on the rest of the playing group. 

Imagine Viney, Oliver, Petracca feeding and developing their craft further from Lewis. Imagine the other types of players we will be able to land in next year's trade period when a four time premiership player has requested a trade to us. Forget that Lewis is slow, he will be able to provide that cool experienced head they we desperately need. Vince and Jones need leadership support on and off the field. We need this deal to go through if we want to start seeing more wins next year and our younger to players go to the next level. 

This IS the whole point, juzzkid1.  

Its that attitude that Lewis brings in his spirit, that is the infection we do want within our club.  That fiestyness of which we saw a snippet of in young Viney this year, and the change that fiestyness brings to the team.

We need bucket-loads more of that, about at the Mfc.

And especially Hogan needs to be reminded of what he has & not to waste it.  Jordan Lewis is the man to remind Hogan of this.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Go the Biff said:

Isn't that voted on by the playing group ?

yes, but has to be approved by the board/coaches and some clubs hate the idea of first year players getting into it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Abe said:

He doesn't need to be an official leader to Command the Respect he would do, with his Cred'.  

He is a game changer in Big games, a Finals winner from his own boots & attitudes, & multi Premiership hero.

The players will hang off his words, & the ones who do not, maybe should move on anyway.  I doubt there would be many who wouldn't want to listen to his words.

4 hours ago, grazman said:

We need speed and Lewis is slowing down, but you can create speed by moving the ball quickly and hitting targets in space and Lewis has always been an elite kick, he's also a lefty. He can also help us develop our own unsociable brand of footy with a bunch of left footers.  For the Hawks to gift away their top two finishes in this years b&f is very stupid by Clarkson, he can see the future and he needs to regenerate.  I imagine that the Hawthorn medicos will be crossing their fingers and toes on O'Meara.

4 hours ago, Demonetta13 said:

gee that's huge if the case, maybe my views are being seen through rose tinted glasses but Hibberd surely isn't worth AVB. 

Yep, time to get some new glasses. Hibberd is a much better player than Vandenberg is and positionally much more important to our mix than the former.

Vandenberg is probably the worst AFL handballer I have ever seen. I'd love to see how many of his handballs actually go to the proper advantage of team mates. And he's not a great kick either. He can bob up and kick a few goals and is tough at it, but Hibberd is defensively sound, close to an elite kick that is also penetrating and is also tough at it.

3 hours ago, DemonAndrew said:

there's no reason why he'll only play one or two more years.

he's always been fairly durable, he's always been a hard-nosed midfielder, and he's always been a leader.

we could just as easily get four good years out of him, let alone two.

apart from jones and vince, do we have a single mid aged more than 23 years old? lewis will step right in and provide leadership and guidance for a young group. much as brayshaw latched onto jones to learn from, petracca could learn a lot from lewis.

The guy I was thinking Lewis would be the perfect mentor for is Salem. I see them as both having very similar attributes. I'd like to see a bit more physicality from Christian, like we saw in his first year.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Maldonboy38 said:

I have to admit to despising Lewis as a footballer. He always came across as one of those pointing people, always pointing here and there for other players to do stuff. And his thuggery was often blatant, intentional and game changing. However, when he speaks to the media I really like listneing to what he says. He seems to understand all the nuances of what makes indivodual players tick, and was very team-oriented. 

I actually don't  believe we need to import leaders from other clubs anymore, as we did with Daniel Cross which was a true masterstroke. What we need is a major progression from our younger guns like Petracca, Hogan, Hunt, Stretch, Oliver etc...

But I have a deep down gut-feeling that Lewis would be a great addition, and would bring steadiness and leadership  in game changing moments; something we have lacked terribly. I can't believe I am in favour of him coming to our club but it just feels really... right. 

I think you'll find his "pointing" is his main attraction to us.  We badly need on field structural guidance.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, fndee said:

3 years is a bit. I want Lewis to come to us but if that is true I hope there are some significant trigger clauses; top ten B & F, no. of senior games etc. 

Stop worrying about the money, when we can get such a high quality man to stepup in red&blue to show our young kids the right pathway to winning AFL, & in springtime.

If he can only play for 2 seasons, hes worth the money just  for the two seasons.

Its the lack of attitude that haunts the Dees ever since Smith & Barassi left our building.  Let us never forget what those old 50/60's teams were, on attitudes, & were we ended up, as a bruiseless soulless club, with no backbone.

It is time we took back that Attitude !  And now, and How !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rjay said:

He won't be part of the Hibberd deal, that will be a 2nd round pick as indicated.

Might be part of a deal to get us another 2nd round pick this year, I think we have that earmarked for something otherwise the EFC/Hibberd deal would already have been done.

My guess is we are looking at a forward/ruck with that pick...total guess based on needs though.

If we can get the Hibberd and Lewis deals done and maintain both second rounders (2016 and 2017), we may approach someone like GWS and swap a first rounder in 2016 for two second rounders.

3 minutes ago, Ted Fidge said:

You can't see him rolling over when Essendon or Carlton hit the front against us.

I think we win against North and WC this year with him in our side.

• Like 3