THE BOMBERS' DOPING SAGA - THE FAT LADY SINGS

Whispering_Jack

Galbally :  No legal route for Jobe to retain Brownlow  (i'd link but i cant to the article in The Age ) 

none the less, the gist is....the jig is up Watson. Even a leading silk says there's no wriggle room for the AFL.

Hand it back Jobe and you just might have a miniscule amount of integrity left.. Fight on...and yo are what you are.

Here is how i suspect the AFL meeting over Jobes brownlow will go...

Gil: So Jobe, your appeal failed, why do you think you deserve to keep your brownlow medal/believe you personify what the award stands for

Jobe: I don't believe i did anything wrong, i didn't cheat, i didn't take anything illegal.

Gil: Oh we believe you, it's just that pesky WADA seems to think your did.

Jobe: WADA is a stoopid head

Gil: we agree, they threatened to cost us money to try and promote something called "Clean sport" hahah what a joke, anyway, back to the subject

Jobe: the dog ate my records

Gil: Good enough for me, it's nice to know that Sometimes justice can work, why don't you have a second brownlow for being such a good sport?

Jobe: thanks lad, off to get a quick jab and then i'll be straight back into training.

Edited by Abe

Dog's Gordon takes a whack at AFL Cover-up Integrity Unit

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/western-bulldogs-savage-afl-over-alleged-talia-leak/news-story/13151999cb4f0e8872c92432d0309b93

In the October 14 letter to the AFL, Gordon said the club had lost faith in the league integrity unit’s ability to carry out the Talia investigation.

Thats my fault for getting my ducks mixed up

Get your ducks lined up,then you won't get your ducks mixed up. Nor will there be any further f... ups.

It's Scrooge Mc Duck, surely

• Like 1

For what it's worth, the AFL will allow Jab to keep the Brownlow. The AFL's own protocols only disallow the winning of a Brownlow if a player was reported and suspended in that season. As Jab wasn't suspended, he holds onto the Brownlow. Who cares what some overseas body says, they're dealing with the AFL. On this dung hill, the AFL carry more weight.

This bloke is a sports lawyer who maintains that Jobe Watson should keep his Brownlow Medal - Here's why the AFL can't strip Essendon's Jobe Watson of his Brownlow Medal

I don't quite follow his "logic" in all this. Watson has been found guilty of an anti doping rule violation over a regime of drug injections that took place in the year when he "won" his Brownlow Medal. I don't think it would speak for the AFL's integrity  if it relied on the loopholes suggested to allow Watson to keep one of the competition's most coveted personal trophies.

• Like 3

This bloke is a sports lawyer who maintains that Jobe Watson should keep his Brownlow Medal - Here's why the AFL can't strip Essendon's Jobe Watson of his Brownlow Medal

I don't quite follow his "logic" in all this. Watson has been found guilty of an anti doping rule violation over a regime of drug injections that took place in the year when he "won" his Brownlow Medal. I don't think it would speak for the AFL's integrity  if it relied on the loopholes suggested to allow Watson to keep one of the competition's most coveted personal trophies.

a sports lawyer huh. Doesnt have much grasp of the rules !!! Maybe its Mabo..:rolleyes:

• Like 1

This sports lawyer is so invested in splitting hairs and throwing up clouds of legal obfuscation that he seems to have lost sight of his own assertion: "surely it's a fait accompli that Watson's Brownlow Medal, earned in the Bombers annus horribilis, will be stripped".

I have more to say but am too disgusted at the thought that the AFL will adopt this character's line of thinking.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, the AFL will allow Jab to keep the Brownlow. The AFL's own protocols only disallow the winning of a Brownlow if a player was reported and suspended in that season. As Jab wasn't suspended, he holds onto the Brownlow. Who cares what some overseas body says, they're dealing with the AFL. On this dung hill, the AFL carry more weight.

The number one rule of the AFL is that there are no rules. They do what they damn well feel like doing.

• Like 5

Gil will be lapping this up and will use it as part of his justification for gutlessly failing to make a hard decision. "A prominent sports lawyer said we couldn't"

Darren Kane has been 'all over the shop' in regard to his view as to whether or not the 34 players were guilty. I reckon he may have assisted either Essendon's lawyers or Hird's lawyers early in the piece. He penned an article in Jan this year titled 'Why Essendon 34 could have a chance if they appealed CAS decision'.

IMO the bloke has zero credibility.

• Like 6

The Defence has started with Darren Kane's article (referred to above) where he argues why the AFL can't strip him of the Brownlow.

Interesting read.

Whoops didn't see the earlier post.
Edited by Redleg
Edited for inclusion in merged article

It's for the best and fairest. If you lose a Brownlow for getting reported, no way known you should be able to keep it after being suspended for using performance enhancing drugs.

Very succinct FG, and very accurate too. This alone should be enough to take away the Brownlow.

• Like 1

His argument is basically a bunch of legal gymnastics, mainly centering around how the AFL Regulations are interpreted and whether the powers to strip the Brownlow can be enacted for a case dating back to 2012. Its a situation where the right thing to do is smacking everyone in the face, and he's trying to worm his way around it by looking for a legal loophole. It's actually a bit sickening.

The rest of his argument isn't even worth noting. He infers there is no precedent by doing what every desperate Bomber fan does - referencing Cousins. A player not found guilty of doping and therefore lirrelevant to the discussion. Although he tops that by referencing Hird's Brownlow, as though his involvement in the scandal should mean his Brownlow as a player should come under greater scrutiny. Simple deflection.

This is almost the definition of an open and shut case. If they manage to find a loophole that enables Watson to keep his Brownlow, I hope the integrity of the sport's highest individual award and therefore the sport as a whole is worth it. Because that's what the cost will be.

Edited by P-man
  • Like 4

It's for the best and fairest. If you lose a Brownlow for getting reported, no way known you should be able to keep it after being suspended for using performance enhancing drugs.

Gil likes a challenge.

"Everyone said he couldn't keep it! That the rules didn't allow it. That there was no way the comp could permit it. Well, who's laughing now? (Apart from me and Jobe, that is.)"

• Like 1

The rest of his argument isn't even worth noting. He infers there is no precedent by doing what every desperate Bomber fan does - referencing Cousins. A player not found guilty of doping and therefore irrelevant to the discussion.

It's well known that Cousins was not squeaky clean. But as you imply, there really is no comparison. Cousins was into "recreational" drugs, and although they can be performance enhancing, that's not why he took them. (Or so it appears from this distance.) Also he was in it for himself, not for any footy related reason. And, he was cunning enough to time his use so that the AFL testing regime, such as it was, never caught him. He's no angel, and probably lucky.

Compare that to the coach-instituted team-wide doping programme at EFC, unprecedented and breath taking in its audacity.

• Like 5

So Gil, let's imagine Caleb Daniels grows 30cm this year and muscles up to weigh 101kg and next season becomes the best CHF the game has seen kicking 152 goals. He goes on to win the Brownlow and Coleman medals, years down the track after he explodes on dancing with the stars, his biological passport is retested to find he has been using NASA-9064, a synthetic not approved for human use rocket fuel.

Because he was not banned during the season does he keep his medals? Come on Gil it is not a trick question, does he keep his medals?

• Like 6

What an amazing opportunity, if the AFL squibs on this, for every living Brownlow meadalist to stand up and hand back their medals. Someone has to teach the AFL about integrity. If Watson keeps his medal, the Brownlow is forever tarnished and discredited. I can't believe it would come to this but what a remarkable slap in the face it would be to the AFL!

• Like 1

What an amazing opportunity, if the AFL squibs on this, for every living Brownlow meadalist to stand up and hand back their medals. Someone has to teach the AFL about integrity. If Watson keeps his medal, the Brownlow is forever tarnished and discredited. I can't believe it would come to this but what a remarkable slap in the face it would be to the AFL!

would be poignant and catalytic should even one Brownlow winner take this stance and call the AFL to task. I would hope at least one might.

• Like 2