FA & Trade Whispers

Dee-licious

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Another one who hasn't heard the interview...

I don't know if he will be gutted, but it was a clever ploy by Clarkson to sow the idea in Mitchell's head and make it seem like it was his idea, it wasn't a shove it was a gentle push.

"Brownlow day Clarko came over, and to be honest Clarko has just been so honest and such a good friend for such a long time and he is in a sense looking out for me ... and he said: 'Look I know that you want to go into coaching, you're not going to play forever for Hawthorn, would it be something you'd be interested in to maybe go and play there and then go into coaching?' " 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

And when that "glue" retires in a year and they have nothing coming through?

But yeah, you're probably right, what would the Hawks know about prolonging success...

The glue just won their B&F and he would have been a good teacher of those coming through, Players like O'Meara and Mitchell could learn a lot playing alongside him.

You seem to be in awe of the Hawks, probably thought the same about the Lions when they were on the rampage. You do realise that all Empires crumble over time.

Have a look at their draft failures, what will happen if that occurs again? 

15 minutes ago, Dante said:

The glue just won their B&F and he would have been a good teacher of those coming through, Players like O'Meara and Mitchell could learn a lot playing alongside him.

You seem to be in awe of the Hawks, probably thought the same about the Lions when they were on the rampage. You do realise that all Empires crumble over time.

Have a look at their draft failures, what will happen if that occurs again? 

They're doing exactly the right thing to keep their empire from crumbling. And yeah, why wouldn't you be in awe of the Hawks? How much would you love just one premiership?

Hilarious how some are trying to paint Hawthorn in a different light out of jealously.

Also, O'Meara and Tom Mitchell wouldn't fit in the cap alongside Sam Mitchell, that's the point of the whole thing.

As for comparing Hawthorn to Brisbane.... Lol.

• Like 1

Some interesting thoughts on the Mitchell move. Maybe Clarko, who has won 4 flags (2 after overseeing the transition of losing his best player), should take advice from the experts on Demonland (who delist 90% of our side when we are down at half time).

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, stuie said:

They're doing exactly the right thing to keep their empire from crumbling. And yeah, why wouldn't you be in awe of the Hawks? How much would you love just one premiership?

Hilarious how some are trying to paint Hawthorn in a different light out of jealously.

Also, O'Meara and Tom Mitchell wouldn't fit in the cap alongside Sam Mitchell, that's the point of the whole thing.

A good point stuie.

I have plenty of admiration for the Hawks I would love to have the MFC in this position.

• Like 1

Vozzo on Mitchell:

On pick 12: Not on the table.

On power at the trade table: Hawks lose some leverage, since they approached the Eagles.

On the deal's structure: playing next year then reassess, based on multiple factors. A coaching component will eventually come.

On Mitchell's market value: "It's not as simple as saying he's worth pick X".

On Mitchell's form: "We see Sam as an A-grade midfielder … and it doesn't look like he's slowed down to me".

On the chances of a trade happening: "We're hopeful but there's a bit of water that has to pass under the bridge".

Furthermore, Mitchell hasn't been over to West Coast yet.

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

Let's not let facts get in the way of your assertion that I got it wrong. 

Discussing it some time ago doesn't change who initiated it. The word initiate means start. Didn't Mitchell say Clarko came to his house and suggested the idea.  

If your answer is yes, I will take that as your apology for saying I got it wrong. 

This was Hawthorns idea not Mitchell's. He is happy to go along with it or stay. 

Along with your "Hawthorn Blunder" post, it's clear that you've got it in for Clarkson and Hawthorn. Petty jealousy I assume.

For those who have read the book "Red Fox" this situation is remarkably similar to the Ron Barassi defection to Carlton. Smith was happy to let Ron go to Carlton as coach, learn the trade and then come back and take over from him. Sadly the club sacked Smith, recanted but never recovered and here we are 52 years later still waiting for the next flag. Ron wanted to go Smith gave his blessing and MFC was aging and then about to slide.

Recent Hawks trading from other clubs and not redeveloping may well be there downfall. Bruest has already said how shocked he was that he was being offered. None of their core players want to leave but the hierarchy clearly see some as expendable. A different era now, but the similarities are there. 

The Smith plan failed, Barassi did eventually return to MFC but for years he refused to contemplate the club until those who sacked his father figure were gone. To get him back the MFC split from MCC which was only re-aligned in recent times when our very future was threatened.

Actually i wouldn't be unhappy if the Hawks don't win a flag in the next 50 years

Edited by Older demon
  • Like 7

46 minutes ago, Dante said:

Absolutely, he's their main extractor and I doubt they will get a replacement in either Mitchell or O"Meara, they may be ok but he is the glue in that team.

46 minutes ago, Dante said:

Absolutely, he's their main extractor and I doubt they will get a replacement in either Mitchell or O"Meara, they may be ok but he is the glue in that team.

Clag or Tarzans Grip?

Radio saying West Coast could get him for a draft pick in the 50's. Seems really weird he would move interstate when there are multiple clubs in Melbourne who would take him for, probably, more money, more opportunity and more draft currency. 

37 minutes ago, Abe said:

Pick 14 and Brad Hill to Freo

Pick 7 to Gold Coast Suns

O'meara to Hawks

does that work maybe?

Gold Coast would still want a player a part of that trade.

Even then, how do they some how get Mitchell from Sydney, they'd have nothing to offer!?

"Yeah g'day Sydney, so Tom Mithcell for a 4th round pick and Shoenmakers?"

Just now, boydie said:

Gold Coast would still want a player a part of that trade.

Even then, how do they some how get Mitchell from Sydney, they'd have nothing to offer!?

"Yeah g'day Sydney, so Tom Mithcell for a 4th round pick and Shoenmakers?"

they have a second round pick, a 2017 first round pick and players they could offer.

4 minutes ago, SaberFang said:

Radio saying West Coast could get him for a draft pick in the 50's. Seems really weird he would move interstate when there are multiple clubs in Melbourne who would take him for, probably, more money, more opportunity and more draft currency. 

His relationship with Adam Simpson would be the key to this. Sam already has Level 3 Coaching, and the benefit post-playing is furthering this at a club that is not Hawthorn but within the Clarkson coaching tree. Also means not moving again between retiring from playing and taking up a coaching role.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Abe said:

they have a second round pick, a 2017 first round pick and players they could offer.

Didn't think about the 2017 1st round pick, probably fair.

2016 2nd round alone would be unders, that's currently 35 before compo/academy and all that jazz.

11 minutes ago, stuie said:

I can't stand the Hawks but I respect the way they have gone about their business over the last, so many years, that however doesn't mean I can't criticise them if I feel they are wrong. Sorry to say, I'm not in awe of anyone Stuie, that includes you.

I've been around a while and I've seen plenty of Empires crumble, especially if they hang on to too many players, for too long. They have a bit to do if they want to stay on top and I doubt that Mitchell and O'Meara are going to do it, there are other players in the group that I think are less than star material. Sam Mitchell probably should have called it quits but it would have been more convincing if he had done it as soon as the season finished, not after a gentle prod by the coach.

Brisbane have won 3 flags since 2000 and Hawthorn have won 4, it would be interesting to see Brisbane of 2001-2003 play against Hawthorn of 2013-2015, I think that Brisbane would have had the edge. So yes you can compare them.

1 hour ago, McQueen said:

I would love a Hawthorn A grader to play a season with us and then transition into a coaching role.

Lewis or Hodge. They will be highly sought after.

What's happened to that rumour? Has it gained any legs? Lewis is a sniper, but I'd take him for a year or two and then as a coach.

30 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Along with your "Hawthorn Blunder" post, it's clear that you've got it in for Clarkson and Hawthorn. Petty jealousy I assume.

Wow, it seems as if you can't criticise Hawthorn on here without being labeled as jealous.

4 minutes ago, Dante said:

I've been around a while and I've seen plenty of Empires crumble, especially if they hang on to too many players, for too long.

Exactly. We are in agreement then that the Mitchell trade is a smart move.