Josh Green

Watts the matter

1 minute ago, mauriesy said:

You don't need interviews and assessments. You just need to look at his play, even in a bad side.

Green is not "speculative". You know exactly what you are getting. There's a very limited ceiling and its probably been reached.

Thank God you're not involved in list management because that is just madness

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jeck wartz said:

Just like recruiting a de listed small forward despite having absolutely no need for any more small forwards.

I disagree. Currently we have 2 genuine small forwards who are AFL standard: Kent and Garlett. We have speculative options below that but nothing to get too excited about. BenKen is average at best and is quickly running our of time to be any more than a battler, JKH is injury prone and every other name that has come up is a midfielder who only plays forward because you cant fit them in the midfield. Green has played to AFL standard before and despite a poor year is young enough that the game has not passed him. He comes to the club on the cheap and while is no guarantee to become a regular, he is far from the worst option going around. 

• Like 2

On 28/09/2016 at 4:03 PM, jeck wartz said:

a significant number of posters talk to and even have friendships with players, you're seemingly the only one that feels the need to mention it in every second post,

On Jeffy, i feel in the back end of the year his work rate was dropping at times and that's why he was fading in and out of games, for a small forward a huge % of his shots on goal result from him getting goal side and using his speed to run into goal, that dropped off which suggests to me that given the inside 50's didn't, he probably didn't work hard enough and get into dangerous enough positions. 

37 minutes ago, jeck wartz said:

Just like recruiting a de listed small forward despite having absolutely no need for any more small forwards.

Interesting to see how you flip flop on the quality of our small forwards...

7 minutes ago, stuie said:

Interesting to see how you flip flop on the quality of our small forwards...

Me feeling that Jeff had a slight form slump has zero relevance to whether or not Josh green would be a good fit, and even less on the "Quality of our small forwards" i have never said Jeff wasn't a class player, just that i felt his form dropped for a patch of this year, as it tends to do for a lot of players. 

Unlike Josh Green who had a shocking year and has led to him being delisted by a 3 win team that needs small forwards.  

pretty sad that you went digging through my past comments and couldn't even find one that helped your point. well done Stuie.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jeck wartz said:

Me feeling that Jeff had a slight form slump has zero relevance to whether or not Josh green would be a good fit, and even less on the "Quality of our small forwards" i have never said Jeff wasn't a class player, just that i felt his form dropped for a patch of this year, as it tends to do for a lot of players. 

Unlike Josh Green who had a shocking year and has led to him being delisted by a 3 win team that needs small forwards.  

pretty sad that you went digging through my past comments and couldn't even find one that helped your point. well done Stuie.

On 10/09/2014 at 2:47 PM, jeck wartz said:

Lel Dangerfield won't leave the crows

:roos:

24 minutes ago, jeck wartz said:

Green was the Lions leading goal kicker twice in what was essentially 4 seasons.
His last season (in which he kicked 25 goals by the way) and half of this season were cruelled by injury:
http://www.lions.com.au/news/2016-01-13/injury-update-green

He was delisted because he was asking for too many $'s and an agreement couldn't be reached... this probably reflected more on his injuries and the fact it might take time for him to fully recover from his foot injury than his abilities, so he would have been deemed as not being worth the $500k he was asking:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/pay-dispute-leads-to-josh-greens-departure-from-brisbane-lions-20161025-gs9uw7.html

I don't think he would be a waste of a rookie place at all... he really impressed me in a number of games I saw him play early in his career at a time when the Lions weren't at such a low ebb.

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 4

On 12/09/2014 at 10:13 AM, jeck wartz said:

High quality ruckman, would certainly enquire about his services.

2 minutes ago, jeck wartz said:

Pathetic Stuie, but i really shouldn't be surprised.

Funny, but here's you chasing a Brisbane Lions reject in Leuenberger...

tra07V3fvfrqqmeEA3PDkN+bZ5QD1b8UGF6z4sq1

20 minutes ago, hardtack said:

Green was the Lions leading goal kicker twice in what was essentially 4 seasons.
His last season (in which he kicked 25 goals by the way) and half of this season were cruelled by injury:
http://www.lions.com.au/news/2016-01-13/injury-update-green

He was delisted because he was asking for too many $'s and an agreement couldn't be reached... this probably reflected more on his injuries and the fact it might take time for him to fully recover from his foot injury than his abilities, so he would have been deemed as not being worth the $500k he was asking:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/pay-dispute-leads-to-josh-greens-departure-from-brisbane-lions-20161025-gs9uw7.html

I don't think he would be a waste of a rookie place at all... he really impressed me in a number of games I saw him play early in his career at a time when the Lions weren't at such a low ebb.

As he played for a bottom side the number of opportunities he had to get the ball and score would have been far less than most if not all other teams, so his output needs to be judged on opportunities not just number of goals. I think it would be better to judge him by his work ethic, kicking efficiency, accuracy, etc...  I doubt he will make it to the rookie draft, but if he does he is probably a better option than some pimply 18 who will take a few years to mature.

• Like 3

Maybe there is a jet who fails to get drafted. Would prefer to use the rookie spot on an unknown with a higher ceiling.

Green is ok, but it doesn't look like someone who is going to improve out of sight.

17 hours ago, Deecisive said:

As he played for a bottom side the number of opportunities he had to get the ball and score would have been far less than most if not all other teams, so his output needs to be judged on opportunities not just number of goals. I think it would be better to judge him by his work ethic, kicking efficiency, accuracy, etc...  I doubt he will make it to the rookie draft, but if he does he is probably a better option than some pimply 18 who will take a few years to mature.

we've got a great success rate through the rookie draft so these picks have some value and shouldn't be dismissed as a gamble pick, Jason Taylor has been brilliant at finding Gems and i'd be concerned that we've seen the best Josh Green can be, and it's IMO behind what We already have so we would be better off looking elsewhere.

I understand that he's kicked 33 goals one season and 25 another, but one of the biggest knocks on Green is he doesn't work defensively, he might kick 2-3 goals but the opposition set up plays through his opponent, we have done this playing against Brisbane, so that's a concern over his work ethic right away. 

I'm not of the opinion he has the tank to rotate through the midfield and that's something both Kent and Garlett do which gives them an edge there as well. 

So at the absolute best form he's shown in his career he'd still be coming in as a depth player that would play mostly at Casey and rely on injuries to get an opportunity, now given he thinks he is worth 500k i'm not sure he'd be so keen on that arrangement either. 

So based on his 2016 form he's nowhere near our best 22 and not worth looking at, so we're taking a gamble that he can get back to his 2014 form right away, and if he does he's still probably not best 22 for us, he's a depth player at best who might not get much of a look in and seemingly would have no long term place on the list as anything other than depth. 

He might well get picked up by another club but i would be shocked if he was picked up by us for the reasons i've stated. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, jeck wartz said:

we've got a great success rate through the rookie draft so these picks have some value and shouldn't be dismissed as a gamble pick, Jason Taylor has been brilliant at finding Gems and i'd be concerned that we've seen the best Josh Green can be, and it's IMO behind what We already have so we would be better off looking elsewhere.

I understand that he's kicked 33 goals one season and 25 another, but one of the biggest knocks on Green is he doesn't work defensively, he might kick 2-3 goals but the opposition set up plays through his opponent, we have done this playing against Brisbane, so that's a concern over his work ethic right away. 

I'm not of the opinion he has the tank to rotate through the midfield and that's something both Kent and Garlett do which gives them an edge there as well. 

So at the absolute best form he's shown in his career he'd still be coming in as a depth player that would play mostly at Casey and rely on injuries to get an opportunity, now given he thinks he is worth 500k i'm not sure he'd be so keen on that arrangement either. 

So based on his 2016 form he's nowhere near our best 22 and not worth looking at, so we're taking a gamble that he can get back to his 2014 form right away, and if he does he's still probably not best 22 for us, he's a depth player at best who might not get much of a look in and seemingly would have no long term place on the list as anything other than depth. 

He might well get picked up by another club but i would be shocked if he was picked up by us for the reasons i've stated. 

Good post jeck, agree with a lot of what you say.

I guess where we differ is expecting a rookie listed player to be near our best 22. Given the strength of depth and talent we have now my opinion is that the rookie list is now a place we can take some chances (high risk/high reward). We have 40+ on our list, so really a whole lot of them are not going to be "best 22", and my view is given where we're at I'd rather take a gamble or two than just play it safe and have another Michie type on there.

I don't expect us to pick him up, but I would think Taylor would do his due diligence and look at his file, maybe even interview him, and who knows? If he presents strongly and shows he's turned a corner mentally he could earn a spot and revive his career while providing value (as well as speed and goals) for us. Sure it's not the most common scenario, but we only have to look at our own Nev to know it can happen with the right attitude.

On 26 October 2016 at 10:33 AM, billy2803 said:

To be fair, Man, Rivers and Frawley were best 18 when they left.

Fitzpatrick performed 1 good passage of play in his first season at Hawthorn, and we will have to wait and see how Dunn goes next year.

Trash from a poor side very rarely excels at a better team.

We can now add Fitzpatrick to the scrap heap of poor players from a poor side that didn't make it at a better side...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-28/axe-falls-at-hawthorn-with-cult-hero-among-seven-cut

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, billy2803 said:

Gone to Essendon...

Glad we did our DD and didn't pick up this bloke.

Glad you're willing to put your reputation on the line before the season starts, I'll reserve judgment until I see if he's turned it around or not.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, billy2803 said:

Gone to Essendon...

Glad we did our DD and didn't pick up this bloke.

Not sure we even did our DD, based on Goodwins comments it sounds as though he wasn't even considered.

he might be an okay pickup for Essendon if he can find form, and as a DFA they don't lose a lot, i just don't think he suited our needs.

• Like 1