The worst pre-match speech ever

whers_jacka_now

17 minutes ago, Nasher said:

For sure.  Regurgitating ancient history purely for the sake of reminding us how painful it was doesn't help anybody though.

It's a quiet week, no games, not much draft talk coming from the club and the Prima Donna can't decide which tutu to wear.  

And 'those who ignore the mistakes of history are doomed to repeat them'

11 minutes ago, america de cali said:

That's an empty platitude in this case.  Review history when there is something to be learned from it.  There is nothing to be learned from watching these YouTube clips.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Nasher said:

That's an empty platitude in this case.  Review history when there is something to be learned from it.  There is nothing to be learned from watching these YouTube clips.

I had never seen them before...

5 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I had never seen them before...

Fair enough.  Do you feel better or worse for having watched them? Did you feel you learned anything valuable that you didn't already know, given that we were already aware that Neeld stank as a senior coach?

9 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Fair enough.  Do you feel better or worse for having watched them? Did you feel you learned anything valuable that you didn't already know, given that we were already aware that Neeld stank as a senior coach?

The way we played out Roos's final game.

Why is this thread still open? Three things:

1) This is like the 3 minutes hate from '1984'. At least though that had a purpose albeit a cynical one (to distract the populace from the crimes of Ingsoc by providing a rallying point). Things are going well-ish (with some question marks posed by the last two weeks) and this is dredged up.

2) I said it at the time (and I doubt Neeldy would lose sleep on what someone says here) but don't you think he was humiliated enough? 

3) This tells us nothing new. We all know he wasn't head coaching material. However, I also would say that while it's easy to hate on footage like this, it's not so easy to find the footage of Gaz, Guy Jalland, Don and CS rushing through the appointment process and not psychologically profiling him on YouTube. As others have said, it wasn't just the head coach who was lacking in their roles.

13 hours ago, worldwideweb_demon said:

Question now is the new guy going to be any good?

They tell me he is better than Roos with the one on ones. The players like him and his style.

26 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Its always good to see the inner sanctum. Even if it was imploding

1 hour ago, america de cali said:

It's a quiet week, no games, not much draft talk coming from the club and the Prima Donna can't decide which tutu to wear.  

There are some negative posters around here who like to be stuck in the past, but you take the cake big fella.  You're making a real effort to fill any and every thread up with as much negativity as you can get your hands on.

As dazzle said, the best thing we as a club can do is learn from the past and move forward.  Sticking YouTube clips of Mark Neeld on this forum serves zero purpose.

43 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Sticking YouTube clips of Mark Neeld on this forum serves zero purpose.

True, but I actually enjoy good cringeworthy moments like these.

We forget how much Collingwood actually envy our club still.

We forget that we should never deal with them ,

Neeld ,Brown,Dawes really spudded the joint up for years.

14 minutes ago, The Song Formerly Known As said:

I actually didn't think it was that bad.

by golly gosh there was some absolute spuds in that room 

It felt like sitting in a bowl of mash ,with spuds and Neeld added the milk,the masher and the salt.

If he simply said"try to get in their road  a bit"

It would have been a better result.

1 hour ago, Biffen said:

We forget how much Collingwood actually envy our club still.

We forget that we should never deal with them ,

Neeld ,Brown,Dawes really spudded the joint up for years.

Much as I dislike C'wood, I don't recall them driving up in an armoured vehicle, unloading those three and forcing us to sign transfer papers at gunpoint.

We did it to ourselves.

And you know what? It's all in the past. Time to move on.

1 hour ago, The Song Formerly Known As said:

I actually didn't think it was that bad.

by golly gosh there was some absolute spuds in that room 

Moneyball, scattergun...

One thing that Barrett can actually be credited for.

1 hour ago, worldwideweb_demon said:

Can't blame them. For years, they've been taught to lose games. Wait, we're suppose to win now? What's that about?

Yeah sure i agree. But it was the look on Neeld's face. 

He had no conviction. He hoped it would work & so did the players. 

I feel sorry for Mark. He wanted his plan to work. But he wasn't ready to Senior Coach. I knew that after his first post game press conference a year earlier. 

Neeld's time at Melbourne was underrated.

He came in when Schwab and Connolly were still running rampant. 

He wanted to go the hardline and this was at odds with some players and management. He clearly didn't have support.

He made tough list decisions and brought in experience, albeit low-tier talent.

He landed us Hogan. 

His approach was no different to Roos': bring in experienced footballers, improve training standards, focus on defense and onfield accountability.

He may have been a tough game-day coach but dare I say he set the team and club up for Roos to come in. Not much, but a little. 

I do think that with today's squad he'd have done a lot better. He had a shocking list and did what he could. Tried a quick turnaround but obviously didn't have the support.

He also had the balls to hold guys like Moloney, Sylvia, Davey to their account for their lacking leadership and defensive accountability.

People say Bailey was a scapegoat. He got out before it really went to [censored]. Neeld was the ultimate scapegoat for what was at the time a shocking professional environment.

Edited by praha
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, praha said:

Neeld's time at Melbourne was underrated.

He came in when Schwab and Connolly were still running rampant. 

He wanted to go the hardline and this was at odds with some players and management. He clearly didn't have support.

He made tough list decisions and brought in experience, albeit low-tier talent.

He landed us Hogan. 

His approach was no different to Roos': bring in experienced footballers, improve training standards, focus on defense and onfield accountability.

He may have been a tough game-day coach but dare I say he set the team and club up for Roos to come in. Not much, but a little. 

I do think that with today's squad he'd have done a lot better. He had a shocking list and did what he could. Tried a quick turnaround but obviously didn't have the support.

He also had the balls to hold guys like Moloney, Sylvia, Davey to their account for their lacking leadership and defensive accountability.

He may have been the wrong man for the job but given the poisonous climate at the club then, any new coach would have been a dead man walking.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, america de cali said:

He may have been the wrong man for the job but given the poisonous climate at the club then, any new coach would have been a dead man walking.  

Precisely. He may have been able to handle it better -- he basically came in and said the players had shocking standards, which is an attack on the playing group -- but really, the entire environment was toxic.

I still get furious thinking of 186. Neeld came in basically right after, and it was very clear that he faced an uphill battle. He had players battling management, and vice versa. Fans were and still have been kept in the dark about that day and ultimately whatever caused that continued throughout Neeld's tenure. Schwab and co. tried to correct it by hiring someone of Neeld's ilk, but it was never the coach or players that were the problem.

I seriously think that had we got Roos in 2013 while Schwab was still in charge, Roos may have either been sacked or would have quit halfway through ala Blight at the Saints.

• Like 1