Rohan Connolly shames pathetic Dee's and Tiges

John Crow Batty

3 minutes ago, faultydet said:

Problem is they didn't richly deserve pick 1 N.D, and pick 1 P.S.D

Of  course they  don't.  But  what  else do  you expect from the  dodgy  brothers running the  Afl

2 minutes ago, nutbean said:

I see it slightly different - mentally immature and young. 

Yeah ok, I get that. To a point I should expect the same, but I still don't believe we should ever put in performances like that, with where we are right now.

Someone earlier made a point about the leaders not being able to carry the club all year, and I guess that's a fair point. I like our leadership team, but they are not of the same quality, or numbers, as the top 8 sides.

Edited by faultydet

16 minutes ago, faultydet said:
Accept
əkˈsɛpt/
verb
gerund or present participle: accepting
  1. 1.
    consent to receive or undertake (something offered).
    "he accepted a pen as a present"
    synonyms: receive, agree to receive, welcome, take, take receipt of, get, gain, obtain, acquire,come by More

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

2. 2.
    believe or come to recognize (a proposition) as valid or correct.
    "this tentative explanation came to be accepted by the men"
    synonyms: believe, trust, give credence to, credit, give credit to, put confidence in, be convinced of, have faith in, count on, rely on, depend on; More

In our case, it's related to the above. Arguments are put forward regarding youth/being tired//etc, and we refuse to believe or come to recognize (a proposition) as valid or correct.

Some people on here are craving to be seen as having the high ground. News for you guys. We are not far off the mark.

Apologies for answering for SWYL. No offence intended.

So in essence it's nothing more than an emotional state ?

Nothing more than fluff really.

Edited by ProDee

11 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Who  cares  what  RC  wrote.    His miserable cheating  club got  the  spoon  it  so richly  deserved

Your opinion, but Rohan Connolly is one of the best footy journos going around.  Do you really think he would be that subjective in his professional role?

Just now, ProDee said:

So in essence it's nothing more than an emotional state ?

Nothing more than fluff really.

That is exactly how I would describe your posting history ProDee.

Mostly long winded, look at me and see how clever I am posts, that contain put down lines, and overflow with postulating disguised as researched argument.

I suspect you have too much time on your hands.

17 minutes ago, iv'a worn smith said:

Your opinion, but Rohan Connolly is one of the best footy journos going around.  Do you really think he would be that subjective in his professional role?

Personally (my opinion) i think his colours are, and have been for several years quite tainted, i think his bias is indelible, and i think he, like so many of the TWSNBN brigade are washed up, as the reductions in their readers indicates. 

On a positive note, the Media nevertheless has obligations to be supportive of ALL the AFL structure. For him to conduct a childish and churlish summation of two of the oldest Teams in the AFL as if they don't belong there, and their whole year is wasted,  is a disgrace. They, the two clubs concerned would be well aware of their shortcomings without some exterior claptrap. 

Football journalists are clearly trained to pay attention to the passed 48-72 hours, as that makes them look relevant.

It's a pity nobody takes a longer term view and starts asking why:

3 of the top 4 teams have won 9 of the last 10 premierships, or

How 2 of the top 4 teams have been gifted Academies that ensure they get access to top 10 talent before anyone else?

Nah, don't ask those question Rohan. You'll get blacklisted from the free AFL lunches. Best to stick the boots into 2 Victorian teams that invented the game.

• Like 3

In many ways the fallout of the past two weeks is that it gave ammo back to those with an axe to grind against our footy club. The Damien Barrett, Greg Denham, Rohan Connolly brigade will start up with this stuff again when they had largely fallen silent or turned their aim on other clubs. 

Anyone who watches MFC enough knows we improved this year, and has good reason to believe we will again next year.

But the meek, shameful performances in the last two weeks gave the portion of the media determined to protect North and Essendrug by potting Melbourne enough that for the next six months we will hear how Kelly is better than Tyson and Salem, that Hogan is going and that Goodwin may not be a good coach and Melbourne may not be improving. None of these things may be true, but these muppets will peddle it, and perhaps our players deserve it after those games. 

The great shame is that MFC supporters don't deserve to hear it again, we have stuck fat and have a lot to be proud of and to look forward to. Our season was more promising than at least 7 other clubs, but you won't hear that.

I admit I was hoping for a good showing against Carlton and Geelong (aside from the obvious finals chance) because it would make this offseason the quietest one on the MFC bagging front for many years. The players now owe the fans the crap (like this RC article) we will now have to put up with for six months and that is bloody annoying, improvement or no. 

Edited by deejammin'
  • Like 6

39 minutes ago, faultydet said:

That is exactly how I would describe your posting history ProDee.

Mostly long winded, look at me and see how clever I am posts, that contain put down lines, and overflow with postulating disguised as researched argument.

I suspect you have too much time on your hands.

Just a quick thinker. 

But if you won't accept it, what are you going to do about it other than wasting your time waffling on here ?

I'm guessing nothing. 

But at least you got your voice heard.  

30 minutes ago, willmoy said:

Personally (my opinion) i think his colours are, and have been for several years quite tainted, i think his bias is indelible, and i think he, like so many of the TWSNBN brigade are washed up, as the reductions in their readers indicates. 

On a positive note, the Media nevertheless has obligations to be supportive of ALL the AFL structure. For him to conduct a childish and churlish summation of two of the oldest Teams in the AFL as if they don't belong there, and their whole year is wasted,  is a disgrace. They, the two clubs concerned would be well aware of their shortcomings without some exterior claptrap. 

Personally, i think he is a very balanced journo and leaves the likes of Denham, Barrett and John Ralph for dead.  Maybe you'd prefer the mangler of the English Language Slobbo?

Edited by iv'a worn smith
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iv'a worn smith said:

One thing that we have shown this year is that we are still not prepared to work hard enough, both mentally and physically.

So we got lucky 10 times including against the back to back to back premiers rather then work hard?

You want to question the effort of the fortnight fair enough and their ability to string consistent performances together. But to say they still don't work hard enough is a falicy.

Hard enough consistently enough is a different story. That comes with experience. Which we know we're not there yet.

5 minutes ago, AngryAtCasey said:

So we got lucky 10 times including against the back to back to back premiers rather then work hard?

You want to question the effort of the fortnight fair enough and their ability to string consistent performances together. But to say they still don't work hard enough is a falicy.

Hard enough consistently enough is a different story. That comes with experience. Which we know we're not there yet.

Ahh, I think you mean fallacy.  And, um, the last fortnight is exactly what I am questioning.  If you want success, then hard work needs to be sustained.  That is all I was referring to.  By the way, did your know Freud's principle of penis envy is a Phallacy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iv'a worn smith said:

Ahh, I think you mean fallacy.  And, um, the last fortnight is exactly what I am questioning.  If you want success, then hard work needs to be sustained.  That is all I was referring to.  

We can all agree with that.

Unfortunately the result that occurred is what it is and is a byproduct of the situation our list finds itself in which Roos alluded to.

It's not an excuse, it's just a fact. If we had of lost to Gold Coast or Brisbane  (both similar list age profiles) by 100 points on the weekend rather then Geelong, then i'd be the first at the club today with my pitch fork & torch!

The debate in this thread is part of the reason why I am so disappointed with the result.

It's this sort of myopic thinking which I expect from the media and non-MFC supporters who will only see the last game or two games and use that to review our entire season. 

Young and inexperienced teams nearly always have at least one game per year where everything just goes to sh*t. St Kilda lost to West Coast by 103 points (and only kicked 3 goals for the entire game). Collingwood (not as young or as inexperienced as us) had three 60+ point losses including the one to Port Adelaide, on the MCG, which had their supporters calling for Buckley's head. They also lost to Richmond just 4 weeks ago. Port Adelaide, with their finals spot on the line, flew the white flag against Sydney (did they score in the first quarter?).

The only difference is that our horrendous off week came in the final round so it stays in the memory. So I now fully expect a crappy fixture next year and plenty of 2016 reviews and 2017 previews which suggest we're no good, that Roos achieved little/nothing etc.

• Like 1

TU

Surely the circumstances of Sundays game dictated the team came to play , to honour and to lift.

None for Three

deplorable

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ProDee said:

What does not accepting it look like and how does it differ from accepting it ?

Supporter mindset for the MFC has softened as well over the decades

look at all the excuses being wheeled out in here. 

I don't hold the young kids responsible at all. The leadership of yhe playing group is putrid to let the entire side switch off early. 

19 hours ago, AngryAtCasey said:

Same thing happened to St Kilda in the last round last year & now their the media's favourite team outside the 8.

http://www.finalsiren.com/MatchDetails.asp?GameID=7048&Code=03dd1ea7cf2760cd30904bf93bbb0300

We're undoubtedly the media's favourite team outside the 8. They've been better and more consistent than us in 2016, beaten us twice, yet I've barely heard anything about them "making the finals" or how great their rebuild has been or anything like that. We're definitely the media's love child and have been all year, but when we get smashed everyone goes back into their hole. After almost every win this year, everyone was talking us up (apart from a few wins where it was about the other team 'losing' and not us winning, ie. both Collingwood games).

Sure, they're getting some love *this* week, but probably due to their low percentage and how relatively under-the-radar they've been, we've received the grunt of the positivity. When we play bad it's relatively quiet but there's the standard, "How bad were Melbourne, again!" article and coverage. It seems most people in the media want us to do well. Nothing sells better than a fairytale. I'm sure the media would have preferred us in the top 8 instead of North. They are the most uninspiring top 8 team I can remember.

Edited by praha

4 minutes ago, praha said:

We're undoubtedly the media's favourite team outside the 8. They've been better and more consistent than us in 2016, beaten us twice, yet I've barely heard anything about them "making the finals" or how great their rebuild has been or anything like that. We're definitely the media's love child and have been all year, but when we get smashed everyone goes back into their hole. After almost every win this year, everyone was talking us up (apart from a few wins where it was about the other team 'losing' and not us winning, ie. both Collingwood games).

Sure, they're getting some love *this* week, but probably due to their low percentage and how relatively under-the-radar they've been, we've received the grunt of the positivity. When we play bad it's relatively quiet but there's the standard, "How bad were Melbourne, again!" article and coverage. It seems most people in the media want us to do well. Nothing sells better than a fairytale. I'm sure the media would have preferred us in the top 8 instead of North. They are the most uninspiring top 8 team I can remember.

When we have been playing well, everyone knows talking us up be it by hostile media or the opposition will set us up for a fall and easy kill. DId you hear Chris Scott's glowing praise and the fear they had for us last week? Very worried they were. 

3 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Supporter mindset for the MFC has softened as well over the decades

look at all the excuses being wheeled out in here. 

I don't hold the young kids responsible at all. The leadership of yhe playing group is putrid to let the entire side switch off early. 

No excuses but this is the thing that concerns me most...

We don't have enough senior leaders, they're not putrid, we only have 2 & it's way too much asking them to carry the load &/or blaming them.

Our senior players apart from Jones & Vince are not good enough to get a game, we need to address it this trade period. A couple of quality 26yo will help.

Previous attempts to address this imbalance have been mixed. We did pick up Vince, thankfully. Dawes & "H" are a bust. Crossy was terrific for a couple of years.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, praha said:

We're undoubtedly the media's favourite team outside the 8. They've been better and more consistent than us in 2016, beaten us twice, yet I've barely heard anything about them "making the finals" or how great their rebuild has been or anything like that. 

They certainly have the wood over us, but were the Saints more "consistent" in 2016 ?

We finished with a higher percentage and won two more quarters (42 to 40).  Notwithstanding their dominance over us and our appalling loss to Essendon I'd contend that we were more consistent.

I wonder how they'll go when their band of 30+ players (Riewoldt, Fisher, Dempster, Gilbert, Montagna) retire.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, beelzebub said:

TU

Surely the circumstances of Sundays game dictated the team came to play , to honour and to lift.

None for Three

deplorable

Absolutely correct Bub, although I thought the loss against Carlton was far worse in a lot of ways.  But against the Cats, we were never going to win agains a side which was finals bound and looking for a top 4 finish.  Clearly any hope we had of playing in September vaporised the week before against Carlton, so the guys just switched off.  That said, for Roos' last game as coach, you would have hoped they would have flown the flag.............. just a little?

• Like 3

17 hours ago, iv'a worn smith said:

He's slightly  better than robbo.  And seriously  a  team of  monkeys could  do better than  robbo, 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

He's slightly  better than robbo.  And seriously  a  team of  monkeys could  do better than  robbo, 

You get no debate on Robbo from me, but Connolly's pedigree as a journo is far ahead of Robbo's.  People forget he regularly went in to bat for us, even in our darkest days and unlike his colleague Caro, he was not supportive of the 'tanking' push.  I will always read Connolly before most others.

I wonder what the excuses will be next year when the playing group is a year older.

The mental weakness in this club is like  a virus. It has existed for a long time.

Come to the club and you catch it!

Again what will change?

2 hours ago, jackaub said:

I wonder what the excuses will be next year when the playing group is a year older.

The mental weakness in this club is like  a virus. It has existed for a long time.

Come to the club and you catch it!

Again what will change?

It was certainly on display when Hawthorn were threatening to run over the top of us in Round20...

Oh wait a minute :huh: