GAMEDAY - Round 18

2 hours ago, Biffen said:

R.P. McMurphy.....

We don't like it when you give the men hope.

Routine and rest is what they need.

Medication time...........

The kind of 'medication' you dispense Biff will only make things worse.

Think this will be a 40-50 point loss with Roos saying "the team just seems tired. It's a long season and it's a young group" etc afterwards.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, america de cali said:

According to The Age over payed and poor value for money Chris Dawes is one of the AFLPA player reps who met with the the AFL bosses late yesterday to agitate for more money. Could he have spent his time more wisely preparing for today's game? 

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-season-2016-players-meet-the-commission-on-wage-push-20160722-gqbs43.html

That should also read overplayed

Have taken the advice of my brother, and am about to enter a cinema to watch movies instead of torturing myself by watching a flogging.

Have also plonked a decent wad of cash on the Eagles. Double win coming up.

37 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Think this will be a 40-50 point loss with Roos saying "the team just seems tired. It's a long season and it's a young group" etc afterwards.

it's been a long decade not to mention season

why do I have the feeling it will not be much different next year

Frankly our best means of going somewhere is Gawn but it seems that under the present rules a dominant ruckman is relatively easily negated

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, praha said:

Of course. But at the same time, as Roos has said, there is zero margin for error. When you look at the team, the inexperience, and the uncanny ability to drop from good to absolutely deplorable after one quarter break, the odds are as stacked against us as they have been in every game we've played there the past decade and a bit. 

I'm actually confident we can keep it to a 4-5 goal loss, which would be a "win" imo. I think that if it's more than that, it'll be a blowout. 

No

It would be a 4-5 goal loss.

Simply it is a win or a loss there is no in between.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

Because emotion has trumped reason.

Possibly.  Although last week I flew from NZ to watch the game at Etihad and I never once felt positive in the lead up, or during the game.

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

Because emotion has trumped reason.

Just like when a lot of us tipped a win against the Saints at Etihad.

1 hour ago, JV7 said:

Just had a read of the West Coast board... They are a little nervous. Think Gawn & our midfield will get on top but their defence will shut us down. 

It's an interesting point. We should have the edge at centre bounces & like the Adelaide game if we get on top we are hard to stop & inturn it'll restrict the WC forwards. If we are smart going forward & dont bomb it in long for the likes of McGovern, Mckenzie, Sheppard & Hurn to pick off we are a chance.

Big open ground should suit the likes of Stretch, Kent, Hunt, Harmes, Petracca. If we can beat them on the inside & get our running game going we can win. The game will be won or lost in the midfield & WC midfield isnt too scary 

EDIT:Wouldn't be surprised to see McGovern a late out with his thumb, Schofield was dropped and is usually best 22.

Gawn prefers a bigger ground - he reckons he needs the space to get speed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JV7 said:

Just had a read of the West Coast board... They are a little nervous. Think Gawn & our midfield will get on top but their defence will shut us down. 

It's an interesting point. We should have the edge at centre bounces & like the Adelaide game if we get on top we are hard to stop & inturn it'll restrict the WC forwards. If we are smart going forward & dont bomb it in long for the likes of McGovern, Mckenzie, Sheppard & Hurn to pick off we are a chance.

Big open ground should suit the likes of Stretch, Kent, Hunt, Harmes, Petracca. If we can beat them on the inside & get our running game going we can win. The game will be won or lost in the midfield & WC midfield isnt too scary 

EDIT:Wouldn't be surprised to see McGovern a late out with his thumb, Schofield was dropped and is usually best 22.

Schofield is NQR with injury and they've replaced him with McKenzie who is having a woeful year.

Their defence on paper is nothing flash.

Neither is ours.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, old dee said:

No

It would be a 4-5 goal loss.

Simply it is a win or a loss there is no in between.

I think both of us know what Praha meant.   What would you prefer a 10-15 goal loss or a competitive effort where we go under by a few goals?  A win would of course be better than a 1 point loss.

Wouldn't it be amazing if for the first time in x generations, a Melbourne coach finshed their time with us on a positive tone.

Come oooooooon, I'd love a win today, just for the fun of it. Forget ladders and finals, just win for winning's sake.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, faultydet said:

Have taken the advice of my brother, and am about to enter a cinema to watch movies instead of torturing myself by watching a flogging.

Have also plonked a decent wad of cash on the Eagles. Double win coming up.

Now?

The movie will finish in time for the game!

It's a ground where you need the courage to run and the ability to hit up targets. We don't have the cattle with the engine or the will or the skill. We should win the contests but unsure if there will be enough contests to matter. Expecting it could get ugly.

Edited by big_red_fire_engine

Im not even going anywhere to watch it. Is it just me or since its now harder to make the finals that I don't have the same care now. I will still go to the games in melbourne but because the last 10 years we haven't achieved much I feel like the end of the season just cant come quick enough. 

I will be happy if its under 50 points today. 

18 minutes ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

It's a ground where you need the courage to run and the ability to hit up targets. We don't have the cattle with the engine or the will or the skill. We should win the contests but unsure if there will be enough contests to matter. Expecting it could get ugly.

Although last season at Geelong was an exception we have chronically struggled at long skinny grounds with tight pockets. 

56 minutes ago, deanox said:

Now?

The movie will finish in time for the game!

42 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

The God Father 1-2-3 should cover it!

Next week, the 'Dollars' trilogy of westerns. 

But might start getting desperate before the season ends. At the point where all you've got left is the rancid trilogy adaptation of The Hobbit, it is time to watch the Demons again.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I'm just glad I have plans to drown my sorrows post match. 

This is gonna get ugly! 

Dont think i can wait till post match.....might start early today!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, america de cali said:

Although last season at Geelong was an exception we have chronically struggled at long skinny grounds with tight pockets. 

You could have just added a full stop after  'struggled'. 

• Like 1