POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 13

Demonland

1 hour ago, Hell Bent said:

I was at the game 38....if someone made me watch that game again they`d be off my Xmas card list immediately. I`d rather watch an indoor plant grow.

So you're saying If I watch this game I'm likely to go potty?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ILLDieADemon said:

We could have kicked a lot more goals if we kick the ball loweis into the forward line for chest marks instead of bombing it high. 

It was to wet for over head marks. 

Didnt see the match but that makes sense. Might have suited Dawes also as I seem to recall he prefers to mark on his chest. Something to do with hands becoming 'brick like' when he attempts to mark overhead?

Smashed in a game where we had a chance to prove beyond doubt that we have improved. Not just beaten.... we were flogged.

I feel that Roos is taking the heat for Goodwin by playing the team that is best for the future, and not just aiming for the maximum amount of wins this year. The down side to this approach is that it may well destroy the confidence of our kids, whilst also delaying by a year or 2 any chance we have of becoming a "Destination Club" as stated by Roos himself.

Without paying massive overs, what A-Grader would want to come to MFC when we still look years away from playing finals football against the contenders?

The only good team we have beaten this year is GWS, and that was game number 1. If we were playing them next week, who would bet against a 10 goal loss?

Sorry MFC, you are still a long way off the pace and not looking like making "mission possible" a safe bet.

Today was 2 steps back. 

4 hours ago, praha said:

We are a fascinating football club.

When we were god awful, we tended to play decent football in the wet and occasionally troubled some teams in those conditions when we were set to get belted.

In 2014 and 2015, we had a solid backline, but a terrible forward line and midfield.

In 2016, we've dropped off in the wet, picked up significantly in the middle and up forward, but have major liabilities across the defensive structure. 

We miss Frawley, but the plus side is we have Petracca.

We have played terrible wet weather football twice in three weeks now, and went in unchanged in trying, hard conditions against a top side away from Melbourne after a mere 6-day break.

When it rains, it pours. 

We have made massive inroads as a club on and off the field but we struggle to "turn" corners. It took us so long to win two in a row. Now we can't quite get over the line against teams we don't know how to beat and haven't for years. Geelong last year was an anomaly, and it came in a rare "off" year for them.

A win against Adelaide will right a lot of the wrongs this team committed in loses to the Saints, Port, Hawks, Swans and Bombers. We have to compete and beat teams around or above us on the ladder to really take the next step. Carlton's win against Geelong would have done wonders for their development, for their ability to evolve that "how to win" mentality. 

Loses like today always seem like efforts in losing margin minimisation, not so much in "trying to win". We play either dumb or defeatist football. 

We still need to turn a corner and it won't happen this season if we let Adelaide run over us in two weeks.

Wouldn't say We wr bad against hawks, we  actually led by 11pts in the 3rdqtr & lost by 18pts...

Swans median average games 120 vs 30 .. That's 90 more games .. 

Dont wanna except mediocrity but there's a reality also playing a top 4 team in tough conditions expecting players who playing game number 10 to dominate probably the toughest contest team.. 

Edited by Hogan2014
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Alcho Dee said:

Why can't the rest of the team play more like Bernie Vince does in the wet ?

Because he has 10 years and 100+ games on the rest of them. No accident that he and Nate Jones were best today, both around/over the 200 game mark. It then drops a long way back to Jack Watts and Dawes on around 120, but then a fair way back again to players like McDonald and Jetta. Most of our list have around/under 50 games. A huge difference with what Sydney had out there today, and it showed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jaded said:

It feels like we're progressing slower than any other developing team. I guess when you need to rebuild the rebuild of the rebuild, you get that. 

Maybe I'm just sick of waiting, but we make such tiny incremental inroads only to reverse back 600km every other week. 

IMO opinion the coaching is responsible for this to a degree, as well as the other obvious factors such as effort etc. 

i feel the Coaches are not tinkering with the side to suit conditions but rather going with plan no matter what. 

Coming off short breaks you bring in fresh bodies. You don't go to tall in the mud. You don't sacrifice young kids to one of the leagues hardest most experienced sides etc. 

We are clearly sacrificing wins for games being put into youngsters. That of itself is not the right thing.

Sometimes being more competitive and even winning can be more beneficial than being smashed and uncompetitive. 

• Like 1

Oscar was better than i expected on a day when a tall, skinny and inexperienced guy should do not well. Tom, on the other hand decided to switch across to his brother when at that time when we were attempting to get back into the game (3rd quarter). He missed him, Oscar was tackled, turnover, goal. I wanted to smash my iPad! Luckily I didn't, but used a great deal of profanity. 

• Like 1

I was at the game yesterday and it was one from a perspective of bring there and looking at the boys off the ball it was evident they were tired.  In light of that we were 1-2 goals on being back in it by 3/4 time and thought the boys were really starting to break the lines a bit more.   But still looked tired.   Not hanging them on that performance although maybe Spencer and Grimes in yesterday giving Billy 'the kid' and Maxy a rest could've been a well worth strategy , not too win but for the sake of longevity of this season.  Just to now stay in touch so the guys have a cause to finish off the season well is all I want from this yr.  amazing what a bye could do and back on our home turf in a couple of weeks against Adelaide I'm already looking forward to that one.   Our bodies for that style of footy yesterday as mentioned by other posters really couldn't had the rough and tumble all day either.   There getting there but yes would like to see Roos coach from bench 2nd half and have Goodys in the main chair. It's time

15 hours ago, Vineytime said:

We learnt nothing from the Hawks game a few weeks back, still over using the handball in wet conditions. 

Forwards were poor again, need to play in front and create a contest in the air!

Not just that. Did you notice whenever the Swans were heading for goal, rebounding from our 50 or half back, there were Swans forwards down in their fifty ready to receive the ball. We didn't do the same and there was nobody to kick to in our empty forwardline several times.

15 hours ago, stuie said:

Seriously? You're going to put it on Dawes? Did you even see the game? If Hogan gave half the effort Dawes does he'd be a genuine superstar, not just a frontrunner.

This is spot on. Hogan gives up on the ball as soon as the kick isn't to his liking.  There was one point today when the kick missed him and went over the top to his opponent who dropped the 1mark, but Hogan had already started soiling and not run to be on the mark to impact the contest and the Swans player had time to fumble without pressure. That is laziness

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

This is spot on. Hogan gives up on the ball as soon as the kick isn't to his liking.  There was one point today when the kick missed him and went over the top to his opponent who dropped the 1mark, but Hogan had already started soiling and not run to be on the mark to impact the contest and the Swans player had time to fumble without pressure. That is laziness

Soiling? Did he poop himself?

30 minutes ago, Demon SeaMan said:

I was at the game yesterday and it was one from a perspective of bring there and looking at the boys off the ball it was evident they were tired.  In light of that we were 1-2 goals on being back in it by 3/4 time and thought the boys were really starting to break the lines a bit more.   But still looked tired.   Not hanging them on that performance although maybe Spencer and Grimes in yesterday giving Billy 'the kid' and Maxy a rest could've been a well worth strategy , not too win but for the sake of longevity of this season.  Just to now stay in touch so the guys have a cause to finish off the season well is all I want from this yr.  amazing what a bye could do and back on our home turf in a couple of weeks against Adelaide I'm already looking forward to that one.   Our bodies for that style of footy yesterday as mentioned by other posters really couldn't had the rough and tumble all day either.   There getting there but yes would like to see Roos coach from bench 2nd half and have Goodys in the main chair. It's time

Adelaide will thrash us on current form.

53 minutes ago, btdemon said:

Oscar was better than i expected on a day when a tall, skinny and inexperienced guy should do not well. Tom, on the other hand decided to switch across to his brother when at that time when we were attempting to get back into the game (3rd quarter). He missed him, Oscar was tackled, turnover, goal. I wanted to smash my iPad! Luckily I didn't, but used a great deal of profanity. 

!!!!   Oscar dropped a straightforward chest mark from a perfect pass (in the conditions ie not kicked hard) from Tom.  It was indeed a pivotal moment and team deflating stuff.  If we are about getting games in to kids, play Hulett and Weideman etc.  Otherwise, send Oscar back to Casey (and the gym) so that he can at least amass the basic prerequisites to play AFL senior football.

• Like 3

Sick of seeing players playing for free kicks.  Stop putting your arms out like you are being held and just get the bloody ball.  Even if you are getting held do not stop until you hear a whistle, FFS!

Also a lot comes down to discipline to stick to structures and formations and instructions.   Do any of you who think the coaching staff is to blame think they told the team to go out there and over handball?  I am pretty sure that the instruction would have been, kick it long to the forward line and follow it up in numbers.  They didn't do this.

Edited by AzzKikA
  • Like 2

Nowhere else to put this and didn't want to start a new thread but disappointed to read that Fairfax have slashed editorial jobs to such an extent they didn't have a reporter at the SCG to cover the game. 

The match report which ran in The Age and the Sydney Morning Herald was written off the telly, a development that would have the old Sporting Globe team turning in their graves. 

Further evidence of Fairfax's decline was on show in The Age's coverage of the Caro Wilson saga yesterday, when they ran a story that had a quote from Caro. Except it wasn't Caro, it was the parody Twitter account in her name. Hilarious that no-one noticed given the account's handle is @caro_whine. Can't even correctly quote one of its own journos! 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Grapeviney said:

Nowhere else to put this and didn't want to start a new thread but disappointed to read that Fairfax have slashed editorial jobs to such an extent they didn't have a reporter at the SCG to cover the game. 

The match report which ran in The Age and the Sydney Morning Herald was written off the telly, a development that would have the old Sporting Globe team turning in their graves. 

Further evidence of Fairfax's decline was on show in The Age's coverage of the Caro Wilson saga yesterday, when they ran a story that had a quote from Caro. Except it wasn't Caro, it was the parody Twitter account in her name. Hilarious that no-one noticed given the account's handle is @caro_whine. Can't even correctly quote one of its own journos! 

The AGE and SMH don't need journos anymore. They get all their info off Twitter, Facebook and The Project.

On 19 June 2016 at 9:55 PM, Rusty Nails said:

Didnt see the match but that makes sense. Might have suited Dawes also as I seem to recall he prefers to mark on his chest. Something to do with hands becoming 'brick like' when he attempts to mark overhead?

Actually funny you say that, he marked very well because he had to take chest marks.