Next score wins!

PaulRB

2 minutes ago, old dee said:

Why do we have to change ?

3 draws in 150+ years .

It is not as though it happens very other year.

If it ain't broken ...........................

gives the afl some publicity for another week, od. but seriously, they still do have to make contingency plans if they keep a draw and that can get complicated.

1 minute ago, daisycutter said:

gives the afl some publicity for another week, od. but seriously, they still do have to make contingency plans if they keep a draw and that can get complicated.

Pity they did not make a contingency plan  for the Essendrug 30 getting a length suspension.

Could be a very dangerous situation with the golden goal scenario. Not only will the players most likely have played their most punishing and taxing full game of their careers plus an  added 10 minutes then quite possibly up to 20-30 minutes for a golden goal to be scored. Completely insane and irresponsible. Players will be falling over everywhere with cramps or worse.

Edited by america de cali

2 hours ago, biggestred said:

Idiotic. A symbol of how the afl has just pandered to corporate media types.

Pandering to corporate media? Channel 7 would love to bring back the players next week and have 2 grand finals. Same with the advertises and the mcg.

this was a decision made purely because the fans wanted it

3 hours ago, PaulRB said:

No more Grand Final replays as AFL Commission agrees to 'golden score'

Grand final draw, will go to time on (5 min each way), then if still drawn,... next score wins!

Thats so awesomely school yard... I love it!

Hate to lose to it... :)

Whats the bet it bites mfc on the bum first. Bloody Hell I used to a glass half full kind of guy.

56 minutes ago, old dee said:

Why do we have to change ?

3 draws in 150+ years .

It is not as though it happens very other year.

If it ain't broken ...........................

Has to do with the disadvantage to an interstate side if they are in a draw. That i a the only reason that makes any sense. 

2 hours ago, america de cali said:

A golden goal disregarding behinds will be a corruption to how the game has been historically played and scored.  Normal games and grand finals can be won by a rushed behind so why change things? The golden goal scenario is rather ghoulish.  I agree the game resets but the team that gets into scoring position first deserves the first chance under normal game rules.

The problem i see with a point counting is you will end up with a Dunn type player taking a pot shot from 70 in hope and if it falls short it would be all but a scrum as players go for the try/rushed behind. I would prefer to see it decided by a more AFL like final play. 

Just now, Chris said:

The problem i see with a point counting is you will end up with a Dunn type player taking a pot shot from 70 in hope and if it falls short it would be all but a scrum as players go for the try/rushed behind. I would prefer to see it decided by a more AFL like final play. 

what? like breen in saints only premiership win in 1964. thrilling stuff

35 minutes ago, Chris said:

what? like breen in saints only premiership win in 1966. thrilling stuff

Edited by daisycutter

23 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

what? like breen in saints only premiership win in 1964. thrilling stuff

I wasnt alive in 64 but i am fairly sure we won that one. 

I havent seen that finish but i dont like the idea of a team trying to get a point knowing it will end the game, as opposed to getting a point not being sure ifthat gives the other team possession and maybe a chance to score. 

9 minutes ago, Chris said:

I wasnt alive in 64 but i am fairly sure we won that one. 

I havent seen that finish but i dont like the idea of a team trying to get a point knowing it will end the game, as opposed to getting a point not being sure ifthat gives the other team possession and maybe a chance to score. 

freudian slip, corrected to 66.

for the life of me i don't get this concern over golden score and why it has to be a goal

anyway, remember it's very unlikely to happen, requiring a double tie

1 minute ago, daisycutter said:

for the life of me i don't get this concern over golden score and why it has to be a goal

you can't just multiply the odds.  It's not as if one side can get 10 goals up in 5 minutes thus making it unlikely for the second tie to occur.  Second tie is far more likely.

11 minutes ago, sue said:

you can't just multiply the odds.  It's not as if one side can get 10 goals up in 5 minutes thus making it unlikely for the second tie to occur.  Second tie is far more likely.

i wasn't attempting to multiply the odds. i'm just saying both teams still being tied after another 10 minutes greatly increases the odds

15 minutes ago, 1 red eye 1 blue eye said:

I think dc because it has to be kicked as opposed to every other way to get across the line.

well all the ways of scoring are equally valid scores in the rules of the game. i still can't see the issue

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

(I'm interested in this topic because I hope we're in the frame for it to be actually at all relevant to us!! So...)

I reckon that's the point. So the contingency after the first '5+5' should just be another 5+5, same rules. And another (and another, etc), if necessary but, seriously, how likely? I hope there isn't any OH&S nervousNelliedom: an extra half hour, say, after two dozen weeks of 3 hours? Suck it up. What a spectacle; what tension; what a 'tune in' impetus. And surely there can't be any issue of delaying other programs - look at how lengthy golf major play-offs are accommodated, for example. If one went into the evening's programming (that's about a dozen consecutive ties!) maybe then they can rethink it for subsequent years.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

(I'm interested in this topic because I hope we're in the frame for it to be actually at all relevant to us!! So...)

I reckon that's the point. So the contingency after the first '5+5' should just be another 5+5, same rules. And another (and another, etc), if necessary but, seriously, how likely? I hope there isn't any OH&S nervousNelliedom: an extra half hour, say, after two dozen weeks of 3 hours? Suck it up. What a spectacle; what tension; what a 'tune in' impetus. And surely there can't be any issue of delaying other programs - look at how lengthy golf major play-offs are accommodated, for example. If one went into the evening's programming (that's about a dozen consecutive ties!) maybe then they can rethink it for subsequent years.

i suspect the oh&s is the main reason for putting a limit on it

did you see how much of a break there would be before the first 5 mins? and any break before the second 5 mins? breaks would add to the tension, excitement

51 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

well all the ways of scoring are equally valid scores in the rules of the game. i still can't see the issue

I can imagine 36 players on the ball the ball is underneath there somewhere, a rolling maul, it'd be a terrible way for a GF to conclude. I think Tim has it right 5+5 until there's a result.