Pre-match thread: NAB Challenge Game 2 - Western Bulldogs v Melbourne

Chelly

Is something wrong with Newton and JKH? Thought they'd have been picked in the squads if fit.

Vandenberg and Harmes have potential to be strong, medium sized markers inside 50. Add Kent, Garlett and Kennedy and we can kick a score. One of Dunn/McDonald should practice forward

I'd like to see Frost in the backline

1 hour ago, Curry & Beer said:

won't exactly be raining goals with those 3

He only kicked 1 last week with minimal impact and we went alright.

You are welcome to look at a positive at some stage Curry, it might do you good.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Curry & Beer said:

i just don't understand your point

In other words we can actually win games without Hogan. We now have guys like Garlett Kent Vandenberg Pedersen Kennedy etc who can step up and fill the void.

Only have to look to last week results to see that mate..

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

In other words we can actually win games without Hogan. We now have guys like Garlett Kent Vandenberg Pedersen Kennedy etc who can step up and fill the void.

Only have to look to last week results to see that mate..

but is the inference that we are better or worse without him in?

obviously we are better, so why glorify a match that he was not playing in?

we would prefer to beat the dogs, would we not? we would like to head into the season with some momentum for the first time in about 20 years, would we not? hogan would help, wouldn't he?

I just don't see the wisdom in acting like it aint no thang that he's being rested, could cost us the game

17 minutes ago, Curry & Beer said:

but is the inference that we are better or worse without him in?

obviously we are better, so why glorify a match that he was not playing in?

we would prefer to beat the dogs, would we not? we would like to head into the season with some momentum for the first time in about 20 years, would we not? hogan would help, wouldn't he?

I just don't see the wisdom in acting like it aint no thang that he's being rested, could cost us the game

I think the club would prefer to head into the season with players like Hogan in top condition.  Same goes for Jones and Vince.

It isn't a big deal that he is being rested - I'd rather us do it now when there are no points up for grabs than doing it when it matters.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I think the club would prefer to head into the season with players like Hogan in top condition.  Same goes for Jones and Vince.

It isn't a big deal that he is being rested - I'd rather us do it now when there are no points up for grabs than doing it when it matters.

as long as it really needs to be done. Although no points are up for grabs doesn't mean a win doesn't have value

Just now, Curry & Beer said:

as long as it really needs to be done. Although no points are up for grabs doesn't mean a win doesn't have value

I agree - the win has value.  Just not as much as when the real stuff starts.

The club knows what it is doing.  They are probably more concerned with how we play within the structures, giving some players a run and a chance at claiming a spot in the 22, than the actual result.  A pre-season loss won't get to the players too much I would have thought.

1 hour ago, Curry & Beer said:

i just don't understand your point

No point, just a fact.

i like that we have other weapons to look too other than hogan (he only kicked one goal last week, albeit did and does a lot more).

good teams don't rely on one player, hence why I was saying that we can win without him, which in terms of us developing as a team; [censored] great!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Curry & Beer said:

won't exactly be raining goals with those 3

There were nine mentioned and between them they kicked the bulk of the winning score last Sunday.

44 minutes ago, Je Roos Salem said:

Is it gonna sell out?

I have heard on the grapevine that both seats have been sold already. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CBDees said:

There were nine mentioned and between them they kicked the bulk of the winning score last Sunday.

do you reckon maybe I was referring to the first 3 named, the alleged 'key' forwards, the ones who weren't in brackets. Maybe?

kicked 16 goals between them last year from a combined 30 games

6 hours ago, old dee said:

Hmm One could say I don't know what day it is and a few would not be surprised.

How about the 3rd March?

Old Dee I reckon you enjoy the past but live in the present. Sometimes they get a bit mixed up that's all. Well that's what I find. But like a good malt you age well. Throw in good humour, irony and humility you will do me old mate. Been to any bullfights in the past? If not, I would recommend it. Very similar to Demonland.

3 hours ago, Curry & Beer said:

do you reckon maybe I was referring to the first 3 named, the alleged 'key' forwards, the ones who weren't in brackets. Maybe?

I suspect that we'll be seeing a lot more goals from our midfielders this year due to the interchange cap as well as having an improved (hopefully!) group that is better able to balance attack and defence. While the tall targets will hopefully kick some more goals as we improve and gain more inside 50s, we'll also likely see more goals from the likes of Kent, Kennedy, Garlett, Harmes, Tyson, etc as they rotate through the forward line. 

If we can't kick goals without Hogan then we have a serious problem, but I predict that won't be the case.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Curry & Beer said:

I realise that you were referring to the first three named but the reality is that they are a diversion to opposition defenders while our small forwards and onballers wreak havoc.

• Like 1