The Great RDB turns 80!

Lucifers Hero

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2016-02-25/at-80-the-life-and-times-of-ron-barassi

What a wonderfully full life!  Full of challenges, setbacks and highspots. 

I had forgotten many of the things listed. Still in awe that he trekked the the Kokoda Track when he was 70!  There aren't enough superlatives to describe him.  I'll try a few:

Legend

Champion

Inspirational

Reilient

Hero

Wouldn't it be great to win another premiership in Ron's lifetime! 

• Like 8

An absolute legend.  Back in primary school in the early 90's a friend and I sent a cardboard "Ron Barassi Medal" (which Bob Davis jocularly suggested should be struck) into the channel 7 footy panel, he was nice enough to ring up and have a chat to me!  I love the old "hot gospelling" video's too... 

It would indeed be great if he could hold on for another flag...

Now begs the question that I've always wanted to post here...if by some chance we played off for a flag within the next decade...the AFL seems to have a recent tradition that an ex-club legend hand the cup over to the winning coach/captain...who would be your nomination for the Demons?

It would be Robbie for me if it wasn't for his tragic passing... who else?  David Neitz? A living member from the 1964 team? Garry Lyon?

• Like 2

When I worked in a bottle shop in St Kilda in early 2006 in came Ron Barassi. He was looking for a good bottle of plonk. He was humble, polite, a nice human being.When I told him I'd been a Demon supporter since 1958 he became very friendly. He talked up Melbourne's chances for the coming season. As he left the shop he turned around, gave a big smile, and said, Go Demons!

( I met David Neitz at the same shop. He was just as friendly and just as talkative. We share a kraut ancestry. Great player.)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2016-02-25/at-80-the-life-and-times-of-ron-barassi

What a wonderfully full life!  Full of challenges, setbacks and highspots. 

I had forgotten many of the things listed. Still in awe that he trekked the the Kokoda Track when he was 70!  There aren't enough superlatives to describe him.  I'll try a few:

Legend

Champion

Inspirational

Reilient

Hero

Wouldn't it be great to win another premiership in Ron's lifetime! 

Agree Lucifer, also RESPECT.  

He has the respect of the whole community. Is there anyone who has the level of respect that RDB has?

• Like 1

I heard him on 3AW this morning.

His voice is getting a bit gravely but still had his humour.

He said his memory is now poor and has been since the famous hit in St Kilda.

Working on getting to 100 at present.

So he may yet see the next GF win by the Dees.

• Like 2

A truly great man, and a great player.  Lucky enough to watch him through the late 50s and early 60 with #31 on my MFC jumper.

And post football he has been an enormous contributor to many causes especially veterans' welfare.

Probably the person for whom I have the most respect.

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, BillyBeane said:

An absolute legend.  Back in primary school in the early 90's a friend and I sent a cardboard "Ron Barassi Medal" (which Bob Davis jocularly suggested should be struck) into the channel 7 footy panel, he was nice enough to ring up and have a chat to me!  I love the old "hot gospelling" video's too... 

It would indeed be great if he could hold on for another flag...

Now begs the question that I've always wanted to post here...if by some chance we played off for a flag within the next decade...the AFL seems to have a recent tradition that an ex-club legend hand the cup over to the winning coach/captain...who would be your nomination for the Demons?

It would be Robbie for me if it wasn't for his tragic passing... who else?  David Neitz? A living member from the 1964 team? Garry Lyon?

I was lucky enough to see most of the 1964 team at their 50 year anniversary reunion at the Bentleigh Club luncheoon.  One of my faves was Hassa Mann.  A delightful, friendly bloke and 3 flags, 3 Blueys, 3 times Captain, 2 times AA.

So if not Barassi I would choose Hassa 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, dieter said:

When I worked in a bottle shop in St Kilda in early 2006 in came Ron Barassi. He was looking for a good bottle of plonk. He was humble, polite, a nice human being.When I told him I'd been a Demon supporter since 1958 he became very friendly. He talked up Melbourne's chances for the coming season. As he left the shop he turned around, gave a big smile, and said, Go Demons!

( I met David Neitz at the same shop. He was just as friendly and just as talkative. We share a kraut ancestry. Great player.)

was it on Barkly St,  near the corner of Inkerman St?

St-Kilda Wine & Spirit ?  I heard 'Neita'  goes there on occasion, as well as some others.

On 25 February 2016 at 5:23 PM, Grapeviney said:

I sell wine for a guy who was on North's list in Barassi's time. Many funny stories, most of them involving Crackers Keenan. He does point out that Barassi wouldn't get a gig as a coach these days because players wouldn't tolerate that ad hominem abuse.

(My favourite Crackers story involves a Melbourne game against Richmond

The umpire was about to bounce the ball to commence the second half. Instead of facing Crackers, McKellar was standing alongside him.

Crackers said, "What! Is the mighty Craig McKellar afraid to face Crackers Keenan at a center bounce all of a sudden?"

Greg Wells tapped Crackers on the shoulder and said, "We're kicking the other way this quarter, mate.")

• Like 1

80, Not Out!  What a true legend of the game (and, more importantly) of the Mighty MFC...)!!!

Happy Birthday, RDB!!

(Here's hoping the boys begin their journey today of making you VERY proud!)