Pre-match thread: NAB Challenge Game 1 - Port Adelaide v Melbourne

P-man

40 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

I am just looking in advance at this bunch of kids.

we have a list of 29 going to be reduced to 26 which doesn't include Vince  Petracca Jones Trengove for starters. Who are going to be shaking in their boots come Round 1 when the 33 possibles become 22.

That is a big cut!

Trengove isn't a certainty for any game.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CBDees said:

Firstly, after watching Jones at training today, I am perplexed as to why he won't be playing. Secondly, I don't feel that the group that will be playing will let us down against the Power. Thirdly, when Trenners and Petracca resume our midfield depth won't be too shabby at all.

p.s. Kennedy and Bugg will also help on the weekend.

I think that was Jones first full training session since his knock on the knee. Has been in the rehab group the last 2? weeks. They probably want to get more sessions into him before he plays. 

14 hours ago, Mgdee said:

Sorry old dee too many bad memories, I can't quite believe the nightmare is over. 

Believe me I have deep scars as well I just think that for the first time in 6 years we actually have a reasonable list.

It's a good day on Demonland when OD is churning out the optimism :)

I've tried to fool myself into thinking I don't care about the result, but after reading the comments on the Port BF board predicting a "100 point win if we're half serious", I'd really like to beat these muppets.

Not having our two best and most seasoned midfielders will make it tough to do that. But it would be sweet if our younger brigade can pull it off. Intriguing to watch.

It will be interesting to see who gets left out.

I originally (prior to squad announcement) had Michie, Neal-Bullen and Oliver - but that was before Nat Jones was left out and Terlich came back.

I'd now bet on Michie being one of the three, then the other two spots are hard to work out.

I now think one of them will be either Wagner or Terlich because they already have Hunt, Salem and Jetta in the small defender roles and probably don't want two back-ups (just one). But the one who misses will play against the Dogs next week.

Neal-Bullen will probably get a gig on the bench now with Nat Jones out, which leaves it a toss up between Oliver, Matt Jones and if Roosy wants to be nasty, Grimes.

I can't see Oscar being left out as he's our only back-up tall in defence while Pedo is the back-up ruckman.

4 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

I originally (prior to squad announcement) had Michie, Neal-Bullen and Oliver - but that was before Nat Jones was left out and Terlich came back.

I'd now bet on Michie being one of the three, then the other two spots are hard to work out.

I now think one of them will be either Wagner or Terlich because they already have Hunt, Salem and Jetta in the small defender roles and probably don't want two back-ups (just one). But the one who misses will play against the Dogs next week.

Neal-Bullen will probably get a gig on the bench now with Nat Jones out, which leaves it a toss up between Oliver, Matt Jones and if Roosy wants to be nasty, Grimes.

I can't see Oscar being left out as he's our only back-up tall in defence while Pedo is the back-up ruckman.

Matt Jones is the only one I won't be bothered to see left out. The rest I'd like to see how they fare. Including Terls going by some of the training reports. 

9 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

I was pondering the same. It's difficult to take 3 out, but there will also be the promise of playing in NAB 2 and or 3. I thought the most likely:

Terlich - if ankle isn't 100% right

Hogan - if they don't want to risk his tight calves.

So maybe one or both of the above plus O Mac then Oliver

I'm not pinning much on these NAB games. I'm looking forward to seeing Salem out there, and Oliver has sounded like he's had a good introduction to the club. I'd like see hints of our more attacking ball movement, Ports a good team to trial this against as they were guns at it a couple of years ago. No injuries is a given, but I would love to see Viney smash the crap out of someone as a warning to the competition!

EDIT: Just adding I'm not overly concerned with the result, a win would be good, a big win will be fantastic, but the one result I really don't want to see is us being smashed.

Edited by Pates

I want a win.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2016 at 0:13 AM, faultydet said:

Barn, I normally read what you say with interest, but I must disagree with this statement.

Going into a contest, even a pre season contest, with a weak, self preservation attitude, will end in tears. If you hit a contest softly, you will get smashed.

Port has played a game already, meaning their players have had a chance to get acclimatised against real opposition. If our blokes go in trying to protect themselves, we will likely end up getting a hiding on the scoreboard, and gaining a few injuries also.

By all means, don't expose underdone players, but the team taking the field must have an attitude of wanting to win the contest, regardless of its standing.

yeah faulty im hearing you and i agree but just saying there needs to be a carrot to generate real interest , over and out , :) ps for some picky school teacher i hope my grammar dosent make you lose it ,  bwaaaaa

Look forward to how we play with Goodwin in the chair and how he responds with tactics during the game.

He will be on show just as much as the players and am expecting a good performance from all.  :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, old dee said:

Believe me I have deep scars as well I just think that for the first time in 6 years we actually have a reasonable list.

It's so good to see you in this frame of mind OD. It lifts me up to hear your optimism, cautious though it may be. On paper, we look to be much more competitive. There seems to be a new sense of positivity pervading the club at the moment and whilst I know some of it is pre-season palaver, I am backing my judgement of character and my ability to read between the lines. I think this just might be the beginning of the start of a possible new dawn. Go DEES! 

I will be watching closely via the interweb thing from my new training base in Beijing. The things we do for the filthy dollar...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, The Reverend said:

It's so good to see you in this frame of mind OD. It lifts me up to hear your optimism, cautious though it may be. On paper, we look to be much more competitive. There seems to be a new sense of positivity pervading the club at the moment and whilst I know some of it is pre-season palaver, I am backing my judgement of character and my ability to read between the lines. I think this just might be the beginning of the start of a possible new dawn. Go DEES! 

I will be watching closely via the interweb thing from my new training base in Beijing. The things we do for the filthy dollar...

You have gone over to the dark side Reverend !

What next wise words from Confucius?

I thought that we could have 28 not 26?