Homesick Magpie

Six6Six

10 minutes ago, Peter Griffen said:

Crossy is still in great shape, kind of wish we picked up him as a rookie at least for one more year.

I reckon that having him around as a coach/trainer will result in him having a more profound impact than if he were on the rookie list playing predominantly at Casey. As great a servant as he was for us over the past couple of seasons, I think that we pulled the pin at the right time.

• Like 12

22 minutes ago, Good Times Grimes said:

I reckon that having him around as a coach/trainer will result in him having a more profound impact than if he were on the rookie list playing predominantly at Casey. As great a servant as he was for us over the past couple of seasons, I think that we pulled the pin at the right time.

I tend to agree.  It was a hard call.  Just glad he's still with us ( Crossy ) ....and glad that other one isn't :rolleyes: 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cards13 said:

F him, no longer one of us.

I understand as supporters we demand unwavering loyalty but in nearly all cases footballers absolutely understand why teammates move from club to club and in most cases still maintain the friendships.

I work with Jared River's wife and he still keeps in contact with last remaining Demons from his time at the club. (he is now a backline coach at Collingwood)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, nutbean said:

I understand as supporters we demand unwavering loyalty but in nearly all cases footballers absolutely understand why teammates move from club to club and in most cases still maintain the friendships.

I work with Jared River's wife and he still keeps in contact with last remaining Demons from his time at the club. (he is now a backline coach at Collingwood)

There is no longer a culture of loyalty

That's why we have a situation where everybody's favourite player does a runner chasing more bucks

Great for footy huh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nutbean said:

Wow, Rivers has gone to a club, that used to highlight his weaknesses as a defender, as a backline coach.  I find that quite amusing.  As the old saying goes, "if you can't do it, teach it". 

While I can't speak on behalf of our players, I'm effed if I understand why Howe moved on.  Was getting games (a number of which were undoubtedly gifted), was playing under one of the best coaches of modern times, was no doubt being financially rewarded for his output.  Totally different story to the bloke we got in return.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Curry & Beer said:

That's why we have a situation where everybody's favourite player does a runner chasing more bucks

Great for footy huh

You're right C&B......This is why I don't invest much into favourite players these days.....I was devastated when Woey went to Coll'wood

But the AFL in their wisdom seem to want to do every thing American, we now have free agency but it seems players can't wait for the 8 years and go to which ever team they want to and get to that team no matter what service they have given to the team that drafted them.   I cringe a bit when d'landers go on about a player we have stolen from another club but hate the player who has left our club for the same reasons

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, billy2803 said:

Wow, Rivers has gone to a club, that used to highlight his weaknesses as a defender, as a backline coach.  I find that quite amusing.  As the old saying goes, "if you can't do it, teach it". 

While I can't speak on behalf of our players, I'm effed if I understand why Howe moved on.  Was getting games (a number of which were undoubtedly gifted), was playing under one of the best coaches of modern times, was no doubt being financially rewarded for his output.  Totally different story to the bloke we got in return.

The bloke was a Collingwood supported. It's where he wanted to be all along. Probably would have gone there even ahead of an offer from the Hawks. Had his heart set on it.

26 minutes ago, billy2803 said:

So you're saying that Rivers was a poor back man? He left us and slotted straight into a top 4 teams backline? Kidding yourself.  Rivers was so highly rated in our backline.  I loved having him there as the third tall, his intercept marking was brilliant.  

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, BrisbaneDemon said:

So you're saying that Rivers was a poor back man? He left us and slotted straight into a top 4 teams backline? Kidding yourself.  Rivers was so highly rated in our backline.  I loved having him there as the third tall, his intercept marking was brilliant.  

He didn't exactly say Rivers was a poor backman. 

Just said he is now at a club (development backline coach) that "highlighted his weakness as a defender."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bossdog said:

You're right C&B......This is why I don't invest much into favourite players these days.....I was devastated when Woey went to Coll'wood

But the AFL in their wisdom seem to want to do every thing American, we now have free agency but it seems players can't wait for the 8 years and go to which ever team they want to and get to that team no matter what service they have given to the team that drafted them.   I cringe a bit when d'landers go on about a player we have stolen from another club but hate the player who has left our club for the same reasons

I'm not sure what point you're making here. Woey didn't want to leave. We offloaded him instead. Which only emphasises the point that until free agency came along loyalty was a one way street - players were expected to show it while clubs did not. Now free agency has tipped the scales back, although some would say it has tipped them too far. Personally, I think the balance is about right. Players should have some ability to ply their trade where they want within the confines of a salary cap. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Six6Six said:

The bloke was a Collingwood supported. It's where he wanted to be all along. Probably would have gone there even ahead of an offer from the Hawks. Had his heart set on it.

So that's why we should "understand" him wanting to change clubs?  FMD, we will have no team if every player wanted to leave and play for the club they grew up barracking.

1 hour ago, BrisbaneDemon said:

Not saying he was a poor defender, but he certainly wasn't a top one either.  He slotted in to the Geelong backline because they were on the decline, losing experience, and he was brought in to hopefully plug a gap (as opposed to going with youth).  Let's be honest, his time at Geelong was far from flattering.

Rivers was quite one dimensional, and I was very happy that he was one that moved on in our attempt to rebuild not only the list, but the culture of the place.  The only thing that disappointed me about him leaving was the we mucked up what we got in return.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billy2803 said:

So that's why we should "understand" him wanting to change clubs?  FMD, we will have no team if every player wanted to leave and play for the club they grew up barracking.

Wasn't suggesting understanding. My observation points to the level of commitment he showed. An unproffessional approach to the whole situtation.

4 hours ago, Curry & Beer said:

Great for footy huh

For the record - Rivers was offered a tad over base payments to stay at the club. He was offered significantly more by a club who doesn't pay their mid tier players all that well. 

There is a small pocket of loyalty that still exists in some footballers. Albeit that is easier to be loyal when you play for the Hawks and you keep winning flags.

But as I have said before  - we, the supporters, actually pay to watch football - not only are we loyal, we pay for the privilege of being loyal. Footballers are paid professionals with limited lifespan in the game. I expect loyalty from them on the field and expect them to play as hard as they can for the dollars I spend to watch them. I am under no illusion though that these same footballers ( in the main ) will make career decisions based around money and/or chasing finals success.

I don't like it but I have come to accept it.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, nutbean said:

Exactly. It's easy for us to criticize players for their disloyalty, but it's important to remember that football is their job and this job very rarely lasts longer than 15 years. Most people have goals in their line of work, whether it be promotions, raises, finding new clients, etc, but they also have a much longer time to achieve these goals than footballers do to achieve theirs. It's common sense that every footballer has a goal of winning a premiership, and they need to put themselves in the best position to do this while also looking out for their financial interests. They need to make the best decisions for themselves and their futures. Football is a business.

That being said, Tom Scully will always be a [censored] of the highest order.

• Like 5