The combined Jaeger O'Meara and Dion Prestia Thread

Whispering_Jack

1 minute ago, old dee said:

I heard 700 floated, remember back then we were desperate.

Higher than I remember O.D, although I am often known to be wrong.

$700k was Clark, wasn't it?

Edited by faultydet
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, old dee said:

Lets say it was 500.

Wow that was 1200 well spent.

Lets not mention who was in charge back then.

SWYL may have a stroke............

• Like 3

Just now, old dee said:

Dawes?

My recollection of talk at the time was around $600pa for him

For N Jones the talk was length of contract and around $650 pa...he could be one that ended up on $700k with sole captain, bnf, marketing etc.

When Hogan last renewed it was strongly said to be $500pa, bearing in mind that was before he had played a game.

Jack W would have been on a good figure last contract when we had to keep him out of Malthouse's clutches but I am guessing he is one of the ones the club had to bring the 'contract in line with market worth'.

Jack V not up there yet...next contract.

Jack G would not have been up that high when signed on current contract as Captain.

Gawn - see Jack V...

We would expect contracts to have upward adjustment clauses for the forthcoming CBA but that doen't change the relativities...

On a non-relevant to this thread note - if my research is ok it puts in perspective the contract figures being bandied about for Tom Mc and why we may be at a stalemate with his negotiations.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

My recollection of talk at the time was around $600pa for him

For N Jones the talk was length of contract and around $650 pa...he could be one that ended up on $700k with sole captain, bnf, marketing etc.

When Hogan last renewed it was strongly said to be $500pa, bearing in mind that was before he had played a game.

Jack W would have been on a good figure last contract when we had to keep him out of Malthouse's clutches but I am guessing he is one of the ones the club had to bring the 'contract in line with market worth'.

Jack V not up there yet...next contract.

Jack G would not have been up that high when signed on current contract as Captain.

Gawn - see Jack V...

We would expect contracts to have upward adjustment clauses for the forthcoming CBA but that doen't change the relativities...

On a non-relevant to this thread note - if my research is ok it puts in perspective the contract figures being bandied about for Tom Mc and why we may be at a stalemate with his negotiations.

Keep in mind we have been paying 95% of the cap so a few on your list might be higher than you think.

But in the end I am guessing, we really have little idea.

37 minutes ago, stuie said:

The AFL salary cap is $10.6 million, would wager most clubs would have close to 5-6 players on 7-800k.

Plus they did that with mostly older players didn't they? They need younger top level talent, Prestia is that.

I would wager Hawthorn don't and Geelong didn't for 07 through to 2013, I think more recently they broke away from that with a five year deal to Taylor (probably in its 3rd or 4th year) and Selwood and Danfer. 

It will be interesting as to why Richmond think they can offer GC anything for Presia.

They have already traded away their 2nd rounder in this draft.  Prestia would command a first rounder. 

So their first pick in the draft would be around no 40.  Hardly a way to re-build.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, old dee said:

Keep in mind we have been paying 95% of the cap so a few on your list might be higher than you think.

But in the end I am guessing, we really have little idea.

Maybe.  Don't have time to look for the news reports for each player.  I recall Mahoney saying we were paying 100% of cap.  

A lot of senior players earning around $500 to $600k were using up a fair bit of it:  Dunn, Garland, Jamar, Clark, Trengove as well as those I mention in my last post.  Our sal cap has been poorly managed for a long time. 

Mahoney is doing a brilliant job bringing contracts into line with market worth.

21 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

I would wager Hawthorn don't and Geelong didn't for 07 through to 2013, I think more recently they broke away from that with a five year deal to Taylor (probably in its 3rd or 4th year) and Selwood and Danfer. 

700k is not as much as it sounds. The average wage these days is 350k.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:

It will be interesting as to why Richmond think they can offer GC anything for Presia.

They have already traded away their 2nd rounder in this draft.  Prestia would command a first rounder. 

So their first pick in the draft would be around no 40.  Hardly a way to re-build.

presumably they could trade some players for picks......if they really go for a rebuild that is

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

That means the average for the rest of a team is about $200K.  Unlikely, given the AFL average is $320k. 

Wager lost, I think Stuie!!

I doubt we have any on 700-800k, yet.

Jones would be on 700k, quite possibly Bernie next year too if not already. Hogan will get far more than that soon, McDonald is asking for that much, Viney wouldn't be far off commanding that and Gawn could get that easily in his next contract.

It's not as far fetched as some seem to think. There is a minimum you have to pay of the salary cap.

48 minutes ago, stuie said:

Jones would be on 700k, quite possibly Bernie next year too if not already. Hogan will get far more than that soon, McDonald is asking for that much, Viney wouldn't be far off commanding that and Gawn could get that easily in his next contract.

It's not as far fetched as some seem to think. There is a minimum you have to pay of the salary cap.

That is an copy of what I said in posts #433 and #439 above.

The point is we do not currently have 5-6 players in the $700-$800k range like you claimed most clubs do, post #424.  And most clubs would not have this pay structure because under the current salary cap they would be underpaying the rest of the team.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, stuie said:

There is no way Bernie would be on 700k

43 minutes ago, stuie said:

My point is the clubs that have had models of having players stay and play for less have had sustained success. Geelong and Hawthorn are the obvious ones, Adelaide seem to be heading down that path 

44 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

That is an echo of what I said in posts #433 and #439 above.

The point is we do not currently have 5-6 players in the $700-$800k range like you claimed most clubs do.  And most clubs would not have this pay structure because under the current salary cap they would be underpaying the rest of the team.

I think was was detailed last year or earlier but do we know what rookies and first/second year players are getting?

8 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

My point is the clubs that have had models of having players stay and play for less have had sustained success. Geelong and Hawthorn are the obvious ones, Adelaide seem to be heading down that path 

Agree, and Mahoney has talked a lot about getting our percentage closer to what they assess it at. The original point though is that Prestia is worth 700k, plenty of players are on 700k, and lots of them are at successful clubs.

Funny reading through this thread that as soon as Prestia is strongly linked to another club, nobody wants him and said club would be throwing away their future.

He is a gun and worth what Richmond are quoted to be offering. If we're not in the race it's probably because we don't want to be but it doesn't make Prestia a bad target for Richmond.

• Like 6