Herald Sun Phantom Draft - Top 30

Wiseblood

As some may not be able to read it I'll put below the order of Sam's Phantom Draft.

1. Carlton - Weitering

2. Lions - Schache

3. Swans - Mills*

4. Dees - Oliver

5. Scum - Parish

6. Scum - Francis

7. GWS - Hopper*

8. Gold Coast - Milera

9. Dees - Weideman

10. Blues - H. McKay

11. GWS - Kennedy*

12. Crows - Ah Chee

13. Blues - Curnow

14. Tigers - Gresham

15. Lions - Hipwood*

16. Crows - Burton

17. Saints - Tucker

18. Hawks - Rioli

19. Gold Coast - Balic

20. GWS - Himmelberg

21. Norf - Clarke

22. Lions - Keays*

23. Hawks - Collins

24. Blues - B. McKay

25. Dogs - Dunkley

26. Dogs - Bonner

27. Freo - Cole

28. WCE - Hibberd

29. Scum - Mathieson

30. Scum - Mitch Brown (mature age)

As always it's a different take and worth discussion. Sam will get some right and some wrong like everyone else. So be it.

• Like 2

I don't mind who we take at 3 as long as it is out of Parish or Oliver. At 7 we need a key forward, would love to have the luxury of being able to pick 1 of the top 3 key forwards in the draft aside from Schache. I don't think Curnow slips that far, same goes for Matheison

Why would we use pick 3 on Oliver when it's likely he will be available at pick 7?

I wasn't able to put the whole article and reasoning with his selections, but Sam made mention of the fact that if we took Parish then Essendon would take Oliver, or vice versa.

• Like 1

I'm almost convinced of it as well.

Is it the right move or a risk we are taking in the hope he turns into another Ollie Wines?

He's a big bodied competitive beast that Taylor apparently loves.

Jones, Viney, Brayshaw, Petracca, Tyson, Salem, vandenBerg and Oliver.

They're all different. Some have pace and others play a different game.

They won't take crap from anyone in a couple of years.

• Like 1

He's a big bodied competitive beast that Taylor apparently loves.

Jones, Viney, Brayshaw, Petracca, Tyson, Salem, vandenBerg and Oliver.

They're all different. Some have pace and others play a different game.

They won't take crap from anyone in a couple of years.

Fair point. I do wonder about our lack of pace in there as you wouldn't consider any of those guys as 'quick', but they will certainly win plenty of the footy for us.

• Like 2

Fair point. I do wonder about our lack of pace in there as you wouldn't consider any of those guys as 'quick', but they will certainly win plenty of the footy for us.

We won't have a "linebreaker", but Viney, Petracca, Brayshaw and Oliver all have decent speed. Harmes, Stretch and especially Hunt have good speed.

I've always liked speed, but it in reality it's the last and probably least important ingredient. I can think of premiership teams that didn't have a Lewis Jetta, Brad Hill or Isaac Smith. It's nice to have it, but you're not going to compromise more important elements to manufacture it.

We won't have a "linebreaker", but Viney, Petracca, Brayshaw and Oliver all have decent speed. Harmes, Stretch and especially Hunt have good speed.

I've always liked speed, but it in reality it's the last and probably least important ingredient. I can think of premiership teams that didn't have a Lewis Jetta, Brad Hill or Isaac Smith. It's nice to have it, but you're not going to compromise more important elements to manufacture it.

Isaac Smith the only one there who doesn't go to water in big games. Also both Smith and Jetta were drafted as mature agers and Hill a late pick up. Maybe that's not a coincidence.

We do have those late 2 picks to target some speed.

It appears that Clayton Oliver is the type of player we are after, powerful type midfielder, one that crashes packs.

I can just imagine him in the same side as Petracca, Viney & Brayshaw.

Parish is quick and an accurate kick over a short distance. He can get his own ball but is also an outside player.

I really like Oliver. He is going to be our Paddy Cripps or Ollie Wines but he'll kick alot more goals. Looking at some vision of him, he is pretty similar to Brayshaw. He is quick, good overhead, can break tackles and burst away from stopages. He probably kicks more goals than Brayshaw, but Brayshaw has better kicking and class, even though Oliver's kicking is not to bad as well. Parish I still think is going to be a good player. But as you have seen more recently in the modern day, no matter how they perform in juniors, Big bodied, powerful midfielders always are better AFL players than slight, small, but skillful and classy midfielders. Look at Cripps, Wines, Bontempelli they are big bodied mids who have started their careers well and will have great success in the future. Now look at Toumpas, Mayes, Troy Menzel and Sumner who were all very highly rated as juniors, but have failed to make any impact so far at AFL level, compared to the other 3 guys I mentioned

In addition to those 3 it could be why we have Ben Kennedy. Pies had a few like him - Elliot, Fasolo etc so BK couldn't get a game.

Also, we need fast brains/thinkers just as much as fast legs as in Sam Mitchel type fast brain/thinker.

Have no idea who we should take but happy for any that have A1 level 'footy smarts'/decision making/fast brains.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

If we take Oliver, then it is a near certainty that one or both of Weideman and Curnow are there for pick 7.

There may be a chance that Francis is available at 7 too if Gold Coast finds Ah Chee or Milera at their pick and Essendon takes either Curnow or Weideman.

I wonder if we'll still jump at Curnow at 7?

a week ago Taylor admitted he was right in the mix for pick 3, i know things change pretty quickly but clearly we rate the bloke

So water tight that nobody knew about our trade targets three weeks out?

Mahoney said we wanted to simply improve our position. We had the chance to get a good mid and a good key forward or two good mids, something we may not have been able to do next year in the draft.

He could simply have been told that by Taylor and Viney.

They could have had an idea who they wanted, but hadn't finalized their selection.

That is what they told a group of us on thursday night.

I believe them. No one has proved otherwise. Maybe everyone else should believe them as well.