WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - CLAYTON OLIVER

Freddy Fuschia

39 minutes ago, Mad_Melbourne said:

Regardless of this, Brendan McCartney has a very high opinion of Clayton Oliver and said that he is a "really special talent" and "has somethign that most draftees dont have"

Where did you see or hear this?  Any idea what the something most draftees don't have is?  Maybe his looks?

23 minutes ago, ILLDieADemon said:

We don't want our first year players jumping straight into the middle from round one. Finally we are good enough to give our first year mids time to develop in the VFL. 

I am not sure about straight into the guts - and I am not a believer in rushing players but if you put your hand up  - you put your hand up - whether you are 1st year player or not.

Brayshaw certainly earned his place in the team from the get-go.

I think the difference is that they wont be played immediately just because they are a high draft pick  - also Roos and co manage them well by giving them a break during season as he did with both Hogan and Brayshaw.

6 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

His pre season sounds similar to Brayshaw last year.

Agreed.

Brayshaw was always slated to start the year in the VFL and played the practice match for them the week before round one.  His form at that level was irrepressible, so he got the early call-up.

Not to put the pressure on Oliver, but it's good that he knows you have to earn your spot through performing in the 2nds.

• Like 3

Bit of a country kid who doesn't want to overstate where he's at. That's fine by me. He's living with the Brayshaw's, so surely he's aware that it is possible to step in from day one. 

C: Stretch  Jones  Vanders

HF: Kent   #####  Brayshaw

Foll:  Gawn  Vince  Viney

Int: Tyson 

Plus: Kennedy, Harmes, ANB, JKH, Michie, Matt Jones

I'm very keen to see where he fits in the pecking order. It took Brayshaw a couple of dominant VFL practice matches to leap ahead of a few and get picked last year. 

On 2/6/2016 at 11:43 AM, TheoX said:

Nice to hear he was hoping to be drafted to Melbourne.

‘‘He (Roos) was one of my favourite coaches with what he did at Sydney, and I was hoping to be drafted to Melbourne so I could learn from him so it’s all a bit surreal."

Two words. Destination club.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rjay said:

“I’m not really expecting too much. I probably won’t be ready for AFL just quite yet, so I’d be happy with a couple of games. I’ll stick to VFL and develop my football and I hope to be at the club for a few years,” he said.

I really don't like this...

The last player I heard this talk from was Lucas Cook.

I liked the comment from Weideman recently saying he was pushing for a game first round, he probably won't get there but why put limitations on yourself.

Oliver doesn't seem to be an overly confident kid and maybe this is his way of dealing with things, set expectations low and overachieve on them.

I sure hope so.

I'd be inclined to ignore the words and judge him by his actions on the training track.
I think this method stands up when you look at the Cook case.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Agreed.

Brayshaw was always slated to start the year in the VFL and played the practice match for them the week before round one.  His form at that level was irrepressible, so he got the early call-up.

Not to put the pressure on Oliver, but it's good that he knows you have to earn your spot through performing in the 2nds.

And he had a head knock in the pre-season which saw the team wind his particpation back a bit....

24 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

I'd be inclined to ignore the words and judge him by his actions on the training track.
I think this method stands up when you look at the Cook case.

I think I will 'Mach', he seems to understate himself and then do the opposite.

...the Cook thing still haunts me though.

• Like 1

During preseason training, you always look at the draftees and hope to get a "yeah, I get what the hype was about" moment or two. I haven't been down there this preseason. Have any of the track watchers seen Oliver do something during the match sims that make you go "yeah, he'll be good"?

2 hours ago, It's Time said:

Where did you see or hear this?  Any idea what the something most draftees don't have is?  Maybe his looks?

Heard it from McCartney at the coach the coaches presentation in Casey. He even picked him out in a bit of footage also. 

I think it was a reference to his complete desire to improve and play but also his football smarts. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rjay said:

“I’m not really expecting too much. I probably won’t be ready for AFL just quite yet, so I’d be happy with a couple of games. I’ll stick to VFL and develop my football and I hope to be at the club for a few years,” he said.

I really don't like this...

The last player I heard this talk from was Lucas Cook.

I liked the comment from Weideman recently saying he was pushing for a game first round, he probably won't get there but why put limitations on yourself.

Oliver doesn't seem to be an overly confident kid and maybe this is his way of dealing with things, set expectations low and overachieve on them.

I sure hope so.

rjay - I think that you are seeing more than there is here.

I see it as him being a modest country kid who has risen far faster than he could ever imagine, and doesn't want to get, or give, excessively high expectations too early.

He has certainly changed in appearance from the pre draft photos.  Leaner and more athletic.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, mo64 said:

During preseason training, you always look at the draftees and hope to get a "yeah, I get what the hype was about" moment or two. I haven't been down there this preseason. Have any of the track watchers seen Oliver do something during the match sims that make you go "yeah, he'll be good"?

No distinctly missing. Do believe he will be a good honest battler however. 

1 hour ago, rjay said:

I think I will 'Mach', he seems to understate himself and then do the opposite.

...the Cook thing still haunts me though.

Move on rjay

That was a very different club environment with very different recruiters, development, and coaching.

• Like 3

Thread gone a bit cringe worthy while reading so lets make it very clear...          Oliver will be a gun and incomparable to any past or present player. Look simply at not just what he achieved in last 12 mths but how he achieved it completely modest and level headed. Spent this summer disciplined, trained, earnt massive raps, lost excess weight and now only needs muscle. Im as guilty as the next for highlight reels but his underage footage is extraordinary by way of influence/complete domination. We have some serious talent on our list atm however apart from the second coming  (HOGAN), its Oliver who will bring the Brownlow by simply dominating games by foot and having rare commodity of being ahead with decision making. Super talent and apologies to Clayton for any added pressure as only a kid....but 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, thesleepinggiant said:

Thread gone a bit cringe worthy while reading so lets make it very clear...          Oliver will be a gun and incomparable to any past or present player. Look simply at not just what he achieved in last 12 mths but how he achieved it completely modest and level headed. Spent this summer disciplined, trained, earnt massive raps, lost excess weight and now only needs muscle. Im as guilty as the next for highlight reels but his underage footage is extraordinary by way of influence/complete domination. We have some serious talent on our list atm however apart from the second coming  (HOGAN), its Oliver who will bring the Brownlow by simply dominating games by foot and having rare commodity of being ahead with decision making. Super talent and apologies to Clayton for any added pressure as only a kid....but 

Are you serious or just taking the pizz?

There was nothing in his highlights reel that screamed "elite skills". That's why I'm asking the track watchers whether they've seen signs of elite talent. Adding muscle doesn't change natural talent. If he's elite like Selwood, Wines and many more, he'd be pushing for selection in round 1, but not necessarily as a primary mid.

18 minutes ago, thesleepinggiant said:

hope your right. Calling  bronlow winners as draftees is loaded. But hey....its February! Footy is never as rosey as it is at thsi time of year.

Sorry I meant last half year of underage where he matured more. Nobody could push him off the ball because of his bodyshape. Kicks low and hard with purpose so dont be surprised with 40m stab delivery to any leading forward. The advantage though is he has the smarts to set up play ahead of time. Only needs muscle to replace though could play rd1 if pulls a Brayshaw as he has body mass to handle against men, just dont know if strong enough to compete with.? 

1 hour ago, thesleepinggiant said:

Woa...