Trade Radio Discussion

What

So sounds like we're out of the running for GWS'S Pick 8 & Sydney's Pick 14. Should we make a play for Brisbane's Pick 17 by offering 29 & 46? They could use the extra points for Keayes & Hipwood.

Can then make a late play for Pick 3 by offering Gold Coast 6 & 17, as unlikely as it would be.

Edited by AngryAtCasey
  • Like 3

Kennedy, Bugg and Melk will be handy pick ups, but our #1 priority should be a 2nd forward to help Jess! But who is out there? Maybe bundle 29 and 46 and try to go out and get a young key forward who can play. What do you guys think?

Kennedy, Bugg and Melk will be handy pick ups, but our #1 priority should be a 2nd forward to help Jess! But who is out there? Maybe bundle 29 and 46 and try to go out and get a young key forward who can play. What do you guys think?

Maybe trade 29 and 46 for Tomlinson and Bugg, and take Curnow or Weidemann at pick 6

• Like 2

So sounds like we're out of the running for GWS'S Pick 8 & Sydney's Pick 14. Should we make a play for Brisbane's Pick 17 by offering 29 & 46? They could use the extra points for Keayes & Hipwood.

Can then make a late play for Pick 3 by offering Gold Coast 6 & 17, as unlikely as it would be.

Would have to add pick 61 to get us 1085 points, pick 17 is 1025

• Like 1

Couple of de-listed free agents from the Power by the names of Mitch Harveyand Mason Shaw. Given the cost is only a list spot, i reckon one of them could be well worth a punt.

If we could snag Charlie Curnow at pick 6 would be a great pick up to have a emerging key position forward up there with Hogan

If we could snag Charlie Curnow at pick 6 would be a great pick up to have a emerging key position forward up there with Hogan

Really hoping we land one of Curnow or Francis at 6 (assume Parish will be gone).

Either of those two will be able to play the role of 3rd tall forward who pushes up the ground beautifully!

Only forward we'll lack then would be a 2nd tall who can chop out in the ruck.

I love how Roos stated that we'll be aggressive in the trade period, yet 9 days down with only 2 to go (more like 1.5), we've brought in Melksham and Kennedy. We also seem to be sitting back waiting for other things to transpire before we engage trading again. Very aggressive indeed!!!

• Like 2

Curnow is only 191cm. Not KPP height, plus he will be probably transitioned into a big bodied-midfielder.

Sam Weideman also seems fairly good shout if he's available. Didn't have a full couple of seasons because of injury and that's put him down the order a little bit. He's KPP height and about 95kg, what do you think?

Sam Weideman also seems fairly good shout if he's available. Didn't have a full couple of seasons because of injury and that's put him down the order a little bit. He's KPP height and about 95kg, what do you think?

As the KPF to help support Hogan, he would be the one i'd bring in. However, Injuries are a concern. As you've pointed out he has been hit by a fair few of them. It also makes him more of a speculative pick.

I would've looked to have gained another pick inside the top 10 (easier said than done - i know), so we could have picked up both Curnow and Weideman, as opposed to trying to go all in to get GCS pick 3 for Parish (who i am very lukewarm on).

Edited by Demon Disciple

Where's the key forward that we need to support Hogan?

We don't need all of Dunn, two McDonalds and Frost down back. Then throw in Pedersen and perhaps King as well.

Options, I would have thought.

Edited by bing181
  • Like 1

We don't need all of Dunn, two McDonald's and Frost down back. Then throw in Pedersen and perhaps King as well.

Options, I would have thought.

I think mo is looking for reliable support. I'd have Dawes in that spot just as much as the one's you have listed.

Curnow will be gone by 6

It will go like

Weitering

Scrache

Francis

Parish

Curnow

6. Mathieson

Wouldn't suprise me at all to see Essendon take Weideman at 5 given theyhave the two picks, means they may be more open to the gamble, especially if they get Parish at 4.

Wouldn't suprise me at all to see Essendon take Weideman at 5 given theyhave the two picks, means they may be more open to the gamble, especially if they get Parish at 4.

Assuming Weitering and Schache go 1 & 2, at least one of Francis, Parish, Curnow or Weideman will be available come pick 6 (or the 6th live pick).

• Like 1

I love how Roos stated that we'll be aggressive in the trade period, yet 9 days down with only 2 to go (more like 1.5), we've brought in Melksham and Kennedy. We also seem to be sitting back waiting for other things to transpire before we engage trading again. Very aggressive indeed!!!

Very passive is what we are as a club!!!! Mahoney does not win me over..

Once again MFC is left floundering in others wake.....what's new???

• Like 2

Didn't realise that Bugg had played 65 games.

I'm of the opinion that our net gain this period will prove to be pretty good. Despite what some say, all three of Melksham, Kennedy and Bugg will be best 22 contributors next season. Even if they aren't, they'll be fringe at worst and competing harder for spots than Toumpas would have, or Howe should have.

yep no more skinny schoolboy projects

These new players are match hardened.

We have done well from our position

if we could manage curnow/weideman and then somehow snatch a pick in the late teens/early 20's, there is still some potential talent there (it looks to drop off from around pick 24)...i'd be happy enough.

How do you know we haven't been aggressive? With 48 hours to go we could easily complete a few more deals, plus we've chased hard after some very talented players who we have either missed out on or have gone elsewhere. Not much more we can do than that.

• Like 2

Has anyone really considered that we have nothing of value to trade that other clubs want. I would imagine that Mahoney and co have put up nearly a quarter of our list to anyone who was interested. Trading draft picks can only get us so far. Until we get a better performing list together, and that looks liking via the draft, we haven't much to offer.

• Like 2

Why does a second KPF to help Hogan automatically need to be a lumbering donkey or a swinging defender? Haven't you noticed the Hawthorn model that wins premierships every year yet? We should be chasing an athletic CHF that can swing into the midfield like a roughhead or gunston, more than we need Dawes/Pederson/Dunn/McD in there. Even a 180cm deadly accurate shot at goal midget would be more imposing than a donkey that "brings the ball to the ground

Edited by johndemons

Why does a second KPF to help Hogan automatically need to be a lumbering donkey or a swinging defender? Haven't you noticed the Hawthorn model that wins premierships every year yet? We should be chasing an athletic CHF that can swing into the midfield like a roughhead or gunston, more than we need Dawes/Pederson/Dunn/McD in there. Even a 180cm deadly accurate shot at goal midget would be more imposing than a donkey that "brings the ball to the ground"

Name this type of player, who is at least of good quality, who we can actually go out there and get. They don't grow on trees.

• Like 1

They don't grow on trees.

Absolutely, I'm just outlining that our priority needn't be for a 'big man' and the Dawes/Pederson role will ultimately need to be phased out in my opinion - Develop a player in the draft to fill that interchangable role with the mids , or find a player over the next two years on the trade table i think

Edited by johndemons
  • Like 1