POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 22

Demonland

I argue the free was not there. But uts typical of the way that the umps completely mis-adjudicate things time and time again.

The rule was brought in to stop Lindsay Thomas and Adam Goodes style sliding into contests on their knees and taking out opposition players legs and coming from the opposite direction. I think this is totally different to what happened yestrday.

Jones was receving the ball, fumbled and lurched fwd after it. That unco idiot Dawson was running behind Jones and cannoned into him collecting him in the head with his knee. He could have jumped over him, stopped or tackled him. He had plenty of time but is so awkward that he fell over Jones.

That is not what the rule is for and it is a disgrace that ball players are penalised for that.

It may well be, but it was a free against Jones...

You have contracdicted yourself. And clearly I disagree with the decision.

No, not at all...you might not like the interpretation of it but if you dive in front of a player and take his legs then it's a free against.

Wasn't that free for holding the ball? I was at the game so didn't hear the call from the umpire. It happened right in front of me and looked as though they paid it for him diving on it and not making an attempt, obviously because he was injured.

• Like 1

At finals time, the so-called experts often refer to the comparison between the players considered to be in the bottom six of each of the finals sides, with the view to determining the greatest differential between the finalists. For one moment, just compare our bottom six with the rest of the competition and the contrast is alarmingly stark perhaps with the exception of, at the moment Brisbane and Carlton, there is a massive gulf at the moment. Therein lies our major problem. Our top level players continually have to carry us and for this reason, we pull of the occasional great win; eg. Geelong at Geelong. But over the course of such a long season, this clearly cannot be sustained over the journey. This has and continues to be the MFC coaching staff's greatest challenge.

• Like 1

Apologies if this has already been discussed but was anybody else appalled by the lack of information about Jones' and Spencer's injuries during the broadcast. What other club's Captain goes off injured in his 200th game and we don't hear constant updates /speculations about what is happening.

And then that idiot Dermott says Spencer hasn't had a kick or whatever for some time when in fact he hasn't been back on the field for a quarter or so.

That would have involved the commentators actually discussing anything Melbourne related. Was some of the most one sided commentary I have heard in a long time.

• Like 3

After being trashed all week by the media and theuir own supporters

They come out and concede the first ten goals

And some here are happy with it

We truly are a pathetic club destined to die

I have to agree. The Dockers were in 2nd gear after the 10 nil start, and why not.

MFC Supporters have been beaten about the head so many times that another hit isn't even noticed anymore...

At finals time, the so-called experts often refer to the comparison between the players considered to be in the bottom six of each of the finals sides, with the view to determining the greatest differential between the finalists. For one moment, just compare our bottom six with the rest of the competition and the contrast is alarmingly stark perhaps with the exception of, at the moment Brisbane and Carlton, there is a massive gulf at the moment. Therein lies our major problem. Our top level players continually have to carry us and for this reason, we pull of the occasional great win; eg. Geelong at Geelong. But over the course of such a long season, this clearly cannot be sustained over the journey. This has and continues to be the MFC coaching staff's greatest challenge.

I'm far more concerned about the top six, you could swap the bottom six around all teams and they wouldn't change too much but the top six would.

• Like 2

Wasn't that free for holding the ball? I was at the game so didn't hear the call from the umpire. It happened right in front of me and looked as though they paid it for him diving on it and not making an attempt, obviously because he was injured.

If it was it makes the decision even more laughable.

I can just see it now:

Ump - Free against Jones, Jones you have to give him the ball, Jones I will give away 50

Jones - Sorry ump, where am I?

Ump - Give him the ball Jones

Jones - What Ball?

Ump - The one you are holding

Jones - Oh, that ball, why is my head hurting?

• Like 1

I'm far more concerned about the top six, you could swap the bottom six around all teams and they wouldn't change too much but the top six would.

I would say it is the other way around, the top six of all teams a fairly good, if your bottom six a pretty good and don't kick the ball to the opposition, or out on the full, then you are a long way ahead of the others. Our bottom six has basically all season been VFL players due to our injuries, if we had depth that included AFL standard players our fortunes would have been very different.

I haven't seen the game, can't see why I will, but from observations about our general inside 50s (particularly the first quarter) I believe we have continued this path of a "bomb it long" policy. A game plan that seems to have become the norm ever since we lost to West Coast in Darwin.

I don't know if it's a complacency with Jesse Hogan believing he can mark anything but fact is he is still young and can't beat 2 or 3 defenders yet. He is a bloody good contested mark for his age in a one on one scenario but opposition defenders have worked out how to gang him.

Sounds like there was at least an effort, but losing Jonesy really sucks. I see no reason to play him next week. Keep him fresh to tackle the off season. I'd like us to bring Jamar in for Spencer next week, I suspect he probably won't be at the club next year so let's give him a final game, he deserves it.

I note that several posters are of the view Freo apparently took their foot off the accelerator part way through the second quarter and that is why Melbourne outscored them after that.

A win for Freo would ensure the Minor Premiership and one would imagine all players would be doing their bit to make their place in the finals makeup certain.

Three other top teams played bottom teams.

Hawks beat Lions by 72 points (10-4 to 2-4 after a good half time lead)

Sydney beat Saints by 97 points. (10-9 to 1-5 after a good half time lead)

On a shocking night for football Tigers beat Essendon by 27 points (having double the scoring kicks) (6-4 to 2-5) after half time

Is it a weakness in Freo's makeup that they are unable to maintain their structure and outplay a bottom team when at home and Finals beckon? The other "top" teams seem to have gone from strength to strength right through the games. (Although Freo did kick the last 3 goals, two in time on, to make the final difference greater) (6-3 to 4-4 after half time). They did kick pretty straight as well.

Or is it in fact possible that Melbourne did a reasonable job from half way through the second quarter playing in Perth against the top team?

• Like 3

Was West Coast, now I have no idea. Could be almost any in the top 8... except for the Roos.

Do the bullies have shades of the Dees circa 2000? I get the sense they do and I hope they can. Difference is, if they can, they won't face an omnipotent side as Essendon were in 2000.

I note that several posters are of the view Freo apparently took their foot off the accelerator part way through the second quarter and that is why Melbourne outscored them after that.

A win for Freo would ensure the Minor Premiership and one would imagine all players would be doing their bit to make their place in the finals makeup certain.

Three other top teams played bottom teams.

Hawks beat Lions by 72 points (10-4 to 2-4 after a good half time lead)

Sydney beat Saints by 97 points. (10-9 to 1-5 after a good half time lead)

On a shocking night for football Tigers beat Essendon by 27 points (having double the scoring kicks) (6-4 to 2-5) after half time

Is it a weakness in Freo's makeup that they are unable to maintain their structure and outplay a bottom team when at home and Finals beckon? The other "top" teams seem to have gone from strength to strength right through the games. (Although Freo did kick the last 3 goals, two in time on, to make the final difference greater) (6-3 to 4-4 after half time). They did kick pretty straight as well.

Or is it in fact possible that Melbourne did a reasonable job from half way through the second quarter playing in Perth against the top team?

Well said. Some aren't in a veil or fog of negativity. It is more like they are in a treacle of negativity.

Do the bullies have shades of the Dees circa 2000? I get the sense they do and I hope they can. Difference is, if they can, they won't face an omnipotent side as Essendon were in 2000.

I think its entirely possible.

Big sleeper is Sydney, I'd written them off a few weeks ago.. but now... It looks like they'll play Freo in the Qualifying, that's a game they can definitely win. The flag opens up for them then.. Hawthorn are no certainty against West Coast and if they get dusted who knows what the Dogs or Adelaide can achieve.

Going to be a ripping finals series.

Well, Bimbo, I think most of us are far more impressed by playing well when the game is actually up for grabs and not when your opponents know they have it won. Especially players that don't want to get injured on the eve of the finals.

• Like 2

Was West Coast, now I have no idea. Could be almost any in the top 8... except for the Roos.

No, it comes up every year around this time.

Then it goes to form and the Premiership comes from the top 4. To me the bottom 4 this year are weak and will be found out, Adelaide are the one that could cause some damage. You would also think that WC must struggle eventually with their injury toll.

Speaking of injury, it will play a big part in the final result. Swans, Hawks, Dockers all have an ageing list.

Certainly having a great crack this year. A fairly youngish midfield though and doesn't bat as deep as some of the other mid fields. Should go deep but might be another prelim exit. Still I would happily take that as a Doggies fan given where they've come from last season (and the off season turmoil).

Edited by Rusty Nails

Was that effort supposed to be playing angry?

I did not see any anger in the first quarter when the coach's message should have been fresh in the players mind. Nor did I see them playing like maniacs the week before. Is the coaches message getting through? Or is his message just for the supporters. As a supporter (read paid up member) I don't think his message is getting through. The effort was better this week but how could it not be?

Was that effort supposed to be playing angry?

I did not see any anger in the first quarter when the coach's message should have been fresh in the players mind. Nor did I see them playing like maniacs the week before. Is the coaches message getting through? Or is his message just for the supporters. As a supporter (read paid up member) I don't think his message is getting through. The effort was better this week but how could it not be?

I get the feeling he is wanting the players to stand up and drive the aggression and anger, I don't think he wants it to come from him and then ending up with the players needing him to motivate them. He mentioned earlier in the season how happy he was that the players drove the review of one of the looses (was it the dons?) and they had got themselves up for the next game, that would be what he is wanting.

Hope I am right and it is on the players otherwise it appears he may have lost them and that would near on kill the club.

I get the feeling he is wanting the players to stand up and drive the aggression and anger, I don't think he wants it to come from him and then ending up with the players needing him to motivate them. He mentioned earlier in the season how happy he was that the players drove the review of one of the looses (was it the dons?) and they had got themselves up for the next game, that would be what he is wanting.

Hope I am right and it is on the players otherwise it appears he may have lost them and that would near on kill the club.

Chris, if Roos is leaving the motivation to the players then two things are apparent.

1 He is no longer the coach.

2 The players can't do it.

Edited by ManDee

Mate dont want to be critical of these two or your comment.

But we need SPEED

The game is different now to Roos" style of play the successful teams play hard, run hard and fast and dispose well.

We are a very slow side and these two wont change that

The other notable is the time it takes for us to either take a fisrst good option in general play or take a kick after a mark

Time and time again Melbourne took a mark turned their back ran backwards looked up eventually and surprise surprise there were no options. So Bomb into 50 was done all day with Freo running away (Using their spare man ) and scoring

This just has to change It looks bad and is bad and is not how good teams play in 2015

Are Meth Coast really that quick the last two years before this season they looked very slow and were heavily criticized. They can run hard but no real absolute speedy linebreakers.

They have got games into plenty of players over the last few years and the likes of Masten, Cripps, Shepherd, Mcginnity, Hutchings and other ordinary players are high on confidence and their disposals have improved dramatically.

Meth Coast move the ball quickly and get it into their forwards at pace which always leaves defences vulnerable.

Speed isn't just about leg speed, the ball moves a lot quicker than any player will

• Like 2

Well, Bimbo, I think most of us are far more impressed by playing well when the game is actually up for grabs and not when your opponents know they have it won. Especially players that don't want to get injured on the eve of the finals.

Ii was merely commenting on the assertion by a number of Demonlanders that Freo took their foot off the pedal and compared the situation in other games where finalists were playing bottom 5 teams in the same round. The other similarly placed "top" teams all put in very big second halves (and still managed to take marquee players like Franklin off very early) notwithstanding players who "didn't want to get injured on the eve of finals"..

I made no mention of when I, or for that matter any other Demonlander, would be "far more impressed" by the team playing well.

I apologise if my post was a little too obtuse for you.