POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 18

Demonland

Thats exactly what they think Skuit

"One of the most pleasing aspects of this six-goal win against a team desperate to keep its finals hopes alive was that it showcased Melbourne’s midfield depth.

Jack Viney, Nathan Jones, Angus Brayshaw and Dom Tyson all won their fair share of hard ball, while Bernie Vince not only had the better of Magpies’ skipper Scott Pendlebury but also did some damage as an attacking force, kicking three goals."

Not sure we can claim the win out of the middle on this one. Still got slammed in the clearances and don't think any of our mids besides Bernie got many more than 20 touches. They did well to tough it out though. If stats were given for burrowing in and just getting hands on the ball Viney would be right up there.

Herald Sun Votes

VOTES

3. Jesse Hogan (MELB)

2. Max Gawn (MELB)

1. Bernie Vince (MELB)

I loved Vineys game. So many amazing tackles and I can't believe Im saying it pressure acts. Collingwood [censored] themselves around this guy. I actually saw pendlebury pat him on the bum in the centre and ask him not to hurt him

• Like 2

If people are still saying it's our Grand Final it just goes to show that they are dimwitted sheep. Don't know if they've noticed, but it's been a fair while since Collingwood have played in a Grand Final either.

With all due respect Nasher, they've played in 4 (and won one) since we last fronted up.

• Like 1

To mark a ball. To AFL standard at least. Or maybe kick a few goals perhaps.

He took 6 marks. He missed a shot at goal but was playing the link up player across high half forward with Hogan and Garlett deeper.

He did his job today, he wasn't BOG but he did his job.

• Like 2

We talk about DE but how about marking efficiency? He fronted up but the number of contested marks he drops when he has the ball in a favourable position are astonishing. And I noticed on at least four occasions today - just from television footage - where his teammates had lost confidence in him and not honoured a lead and passed it to him or waited until no other option presented.

Edited by Skuit
  • Like 2

Watch Dawes closely. There was some perfect footage last week - he takes his eyes off the ball at the point of contact. Other times he fakes an effort. He has the marking yips. No confidence. Even his contested marks today from memory were chest marks - requiring pin-perfect delivery or a bit of luck.

• Like 1

Was it my imagination or did the piea fans boo garlett after he goaled and did that little dance?

I thought that dance he did was to stick it up the pies supporters behind the goals.

Was it my imagination or did the piea fans boo garlett after he goaled and did that little dance?

Yeah it happened, to be fair it wasn't all the Collingwood supporters (I was there with two), just the usual lower class missing teeth ones.

Just got back, the game was scrappy and we were OK, Collingwood were pathetic. We played better on Queens Bday but I'd take a win over a good performance any time.

The thing that I loved the most today was Nathan Jones.

When you're the best player you get taken for granted some times but being at the game you just couldn't avoid this blokes importance to the side, from his ball winning ability to his on field leadership to that final show of solidarity (Yes I'm a Goodes supporter, please don't boo me!) It was a defining day for the bloke and it shouldn't be glossed over.

A TRUE CAPTAIN.

SHOWING TRUE LEADERSHIP.

FINALLY!

Edited by Perago Validus
  • Like 5

Rohan Connollys votes from The Age

Votes

Bernie Vince (Melb) … ..8

Nathan Jones (Melb)……7

Dane Swan (Coll)……...7

Jack Watts (Melb)………7

Jack Viney (Melb)………6

With all due respect Nasher, they've played in 4 (and won one) since we last fronted up.

So? It was a line that made sense when they were expecting to be playing in them. They're not expecting to be playing in them.

To put it another way: if our the Queens Birthday is our Grand Final, when's theirs? It certainly won't be the 2015 AFL Grand Final, nor was it the 2014, 2013, 2012 Grand Finals.

They're as relevant to Grand Final discussions as we are: not at all.

• Like 2

Great win but trying to keep a lid on it because I desperately want us to win 2 in a row, but will enjoy the week

The team effort was excellent today plenty of our boys did their jobs and really stood up

• Like 6

Great win but trying to keep a lid on it because I desperately want us to win 2 in a row, but will enjoy the week

The team effort was excellent today plenty of our boys did their jobs and really stood up

Totally agree, personally I'll only believe we've 'improved' until we win 2 in a row.

Improvement for me is measured from our mental strength as much as our statistical improvement.

He took 6 marks. He missed a shot at goal but was playing the link up player across high half forward with Hogan and Garlett deeper.

He did his job today, he wasn't BOG but he did his job.

Dawes describes himself as a battler, and that's what he is. In the last two weeks he's been back to his best - he's been holding marks, and he's used his strength to break tackles. If he can continue to do that, he definitely adds something to the side. No doubt it'd be nice if he could hit the scoreboard more, but I can live without that so long as he contributes in other ways.

Dawes takes a comparable number of marks to 'second tier' marking forwards such as Schulz, Roughead, Petrie et al. These players all take 4-6 marks per game on average (Dawes 4.7). Elite marking forwards such as Riewoldt and Cloke take in the order of 7-8 marks per game on average. When he was in poor form he still took a minimum of 2 marks a game.

The criticism of him goes beyond reasonable IMO.

• Like 6